Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some extremely bright light popped in through the kitchen window about 30 minutes ago...And then disappeared. The wife said it was a figment of my imagination.

Went to watch the oldest granddaughter's basketball game and then went on to Wichita. Got the groceries we needed and ate at Texas Roadhouse as I had a coupon for a free meal from Veteran's day and a $30 gift card from a year ago Christmas. We were planning for a March vacation week...Guess who the county doesn't want to have a vacation. Wife got a jury summons for March. Otherwise it's been a decent day. Also got the laundry completed earlier than normal.

BBL

On a more sombre note, it was revealed or stated on one of the MRL FB pages that BNSF now owns all of the locos (and presumably rolling stock, Livingston workshops and branch lines that were owned or serviced by MRL) as if it were common knowledge. I challenged that because there has been speculation right up to the relinquishing of the ex NP trackage at midnight New Years eve about what was going to be happening to them. There are a few MRL FB pages and there has never been any mention on any of them as what there disposition would be, not even if they would continue at all. As it turned out and I think most would have expected, they have continued in use. I raised the question but have not had a reply back as yet. My assumption was that they would be leased to BNSF for as long as required. The largest contingent are the 4300 number series of SD70ACe's, all in 2005 with the non-isolated cabs 4300-4319 (if you include the 4 purchased from the Australian leased ones of a few years ago.) They do not comply as lead locos under BNSF and now approaching the 20 year old mark. Considering the pounding up mountains they have done in that time, they are old machines and the loads are getting longer and heavier. The 4400 series, 4400-4408, built in Mexico (with 5 steps per corner) and isolated cabs are OK as leads, and much newer. Another poster has also raised the question as well. If it's true it's from inside knowledge and kept very quiet. Why? Goodness knows. What's the big deal. Other news came that 2 of the GP35's used in local service, blew each one's turbo and had to be towed back to the workshops.

Willie: How big is the brisket?
It is 3.5bs.
Progress so far.
20240127_174458.jpg

In other food anomalies, I count or at least look at carbs in foods. I was using some Ranch dressing as a dipping sauce this evening and looked at it. I then took an unopened bottle of Lite Ranch off the shelf and compared.
20240127_174427.jpg

Note that the Lite version on the right has 3g carbs vs 2g carbs in the regular on the left; both 2 Tbs servings. Kinda ironic. More useless information for you to digest! The Lite version also has more salt.

Last edited:
The "Lite" version has half the Cholesterol of the regular. I suppose that's where the lite comes in. FWIW, numerous "Heart Healthy" foods have a higher sodium count than the regular version. If you are on a low sodium diet, or a low carb diet, lite isn't always the route to follow.

Last night, My joints and muscles ached all over...and I was cold...I ended up sleeping on the recliner, because I didn't want to try and navigate the steps...today, I showered, then spent the rest of the day sleeping. Now I wonder, what is wrong now?
Boris I felt the same way when I got up this morning and thought the same thing what's wrong now? The only thing I could think of was I ate some bad frozen food. Although one of my wife's friends called up and said she had covid. I feel better at the moment we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Swal

Well the first day at Amherst is in the can. Lots of people, very crowded and very warm. Compared with Milwaukee it was practically shirt sleeve weather. Unusual for Massachusetts in January! My coat spent the day in my tote bag. Loot for the day was a small structure kit I’d been looking for and some tools. Surprisingly light! Not much brass, and not many deals That I could see. Of course, that could just be what I was looking for. I’m not your average buyer. Maybe I’ll have a different opinion tomorrow. Alcomotive and I missed each other unfortunately. They layouts were great and the vendor selection was awesome but that’s how it always is with this show. Know what we need? Candy and cigarette machines. We have lots of pop machines. We need the rest of the vending machines.

The real moon or your behind in the mirror. 🤣🤣
It was the real moon; I avoided looking in the mirror.
Either way, it would have been a full moon! :D
My back side is anything but full. Once after looking in a full-length mirror, I told my wife "I look semi-inflated"

I'm more than 75lbs lighter than I was when I played sports. Sometimes when I look into a mirror I wonder "who is that?"

Good morning all. A cloudy day with cold breeze blowing.

It was a bad night for Dawn; being in pain throughout. She is still in bed, but says she is getting up now. (That is good.)

Youngest grandson is here and wants to go to an indoor play area. It means being away from Dawn two hours. We shall see. Hopefully Dawn will feel a lot better this afternoon.

Back later

Morning all,

27° and clear this morning, looking for a high of 55°. Supposed to be sunny, so now I know what the bright thing in the sky is.

Wife wanted biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I bought some frozen biscuits yesterday instead of the canned ones we usually get. They are quite a bit better. I'm not a fan of B&G, but it's not always about my choice. I know biscuits are easy to make, but sometimes you just don't have the time.

Karl: A bird told me that you're now older than me today. I hope you have a great day, old man! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back