Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, all! A very nice day in store. Currently 54 degrees but should get into the 60's this afternoon. We are planning on getting out this afternoon maybe just a drive, but out.

Terry - When I first got out of the USCG I went to work at a marina, and it paid pretty much like yours. They found out I could operate client's boats and yachts and offered a hourly wage.
Karl - Happy Birthday. I tried to make an AI cake for you with 21 on top, cake keep going flat.

STAY SAFE
LATER

I've been working for flat rate for quite a while, off and on. The state of RV flat rate is where it was for automobiles about 30 years ago (or longer). The issue with it in that industry is, nothing is precision-made, everything is "stick it somewhere". It's very difficult to generate an accurate flat-rate scale without standards of uniformity, though they are trying--to the detriment of the technician. And modern RVs have all the electronics of cars and trucks, without the standardization.

Beef hotdogs and Johnsonville's new Beef and Cheddar sausages in the oven. Diced onions and jalapenos are ready. Nacho cheese waiting to go into the microwave. Miller High Life cold in the refrigerator. I'm ready for some football!
AFC Championship Kansas City @ Baltimore

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out cooler today. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be in the mid 40's about 20 degrees cooler than the last couple of days. I went to the dentist Friday morning for the first part of the treatment plan. I was pain free when I left but the pain gradually ramped up to a severe level that prevented sleep overnight and prevented eating. Of course, the dentist office was closed Saturday, so MOH convinced me to go to the urgent care where I was prescribed antibiotics and a pain killer which has helped tremendously. I was actually able to take a 2-hour nap Saturday afternoon then went to bed at 8 pm and was in bed for almost 12 hours. The one tooth is still sensitive, and the jaw is sore but 99% of the pain is gone.

Sherrel- Prayers for you.

Hughie- Great looking build.

Chad- I would have given them a two-word response, that's great about your daughter.

Bill- Neat photo.

David- Very nice scenes.

Joe- There's something going thru daughter's family also.

Karl- Happy Birthday.

Terry- That is beyond ridiculous.

Willie- Great interior detailing.

Grizzled-Nice family shot and beautiful scenery.

Here is the completed diner.

20240127_105700.jpg

20240127_105727.jpg

20240127_105742.jpg

20240127_105801 (1).jpg

20240127_105829 (1).jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. Clear and 35° out there. Good news is that the clouds finally departed yesterday, sadly it was after nightfall so I didn't get any sunshine. There is a heavy frost right now, I know because I slipped on the porch step a little while ago, did not fall though. But we're in for a few sunny days and the temperature will be ~70° tomorrow and Tuesday, with 60's the rest of the week. Wind from the west or southwest for a few days; which usually brings dust storms from West Texas and New Mexico; but maybe there was enough rain out there to avoid that for now.

No new progress report on the Sous Vide brisket except the timer now shows 7 hours left. The plan is to sear it for 4 minutes a side later on. I can do it either on the grill or a cast iron skillet since it really won't have enough time to pick up a smokey flavor. If I do it on the charcoal grill, I'll also sear a couple of packages of hot dogs and hot links so I don't waste a bunch of the charcoal. That's a good size bed of coals for a brisket. Next time I do one, I'll be planning for a four hour smoke, but I still haven't read enough to determine whether it should be done before or after the Sous Vide. Meanwhile once it is done, half will go into the freezer since my wife and I won't eat the whole thing this week.

It's unfortunate that it's so wet outside, as today and the next few will be great temperature-wise for working outdoors. I'll have to see if there is something on high ground that I can accomplish besides shredding brush. There's nothing left on the honey-do list to do inside that I didn't do in the last two days.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mainly inspected and cleaned freight cars. 31 cars including 19-40' corn oil tankers. I spent way too much time repairing three Intermountain ones, their QC in the 2010 - 2014 era absolutely sucked. These were all RTR cars that I must not have thoroughly inspected when I put them on the layout. Or maybe they were good then but have rattled loose since then. It was mainly the safety railings around the tank domes and valves. On one, I had to re-glue 5 of the 8 posts for the railing. Some of the underbody detail parts had also become loose, but fortunately none had come off. Thank goodness for multiple mounting locations. I also found two more cars with McHenry couplers on them that were changed out, even though they were still working. Today it's back to the cemetery fence construction that I was temporarily burned out on.
Speaking of burnout, I have almost run out of stuff to post from the archives, that I don't remember whether or not I have posted in the past? So today I will post a few structures that are ready to go as soon as I start another town. And I may have posted some of these before.
Brownie's Northside Service a laser-cut wood kit from JL Innovative.
View attachment 180242
Ed's Market, a structure from Chet's Logan Valley.
View attachment 180243
View attachment 180244
View attachment 180245
Our House from DPM, or maybe Woodland Scenics now.
View attachment 180246
View attachment 180247
A big red barn from ???
View attachment 180250

Tom O - Most of these high-falutin BBQ places are no better than the hole in the wall places in Texas, matter of fact many smaller joints are actually better. I have not eaten at Franklin's so I can't judge them. The real secret is the sauces and rubs, anybody can smoke a brisket or sausages. I personally use Johnsonville sausage, but Hillshire Farms or Eckridge is used by many eateries. Matter of fact, many store brands from places like Kroger or Albertson's are adequate for smoking. I need to check out Earl Campbell sausage as I really like his brand of hot links.
Grizzled - No EPA on my layout. No OSHA either!
Hughie - Yep! She stares at and studies stuff that I have no intention of buying. I am strictly an "on the list" shopper and I know where everything is most of the time. I even make my list in the order of things in the store so I don't backtrack; maybe everyone does, but my wife doesn't, so I make her read it to me before we leave the house and I put it in the right order on my list.
Ray - Good to see you again.
Karl - Yes, Happy Birthday today.

Everyone have a great day today.
Willie your model of the house next to the tracks. Years ago, my wife modeled a similar home that was also near the tracks. For some realism I put a for sale sign on the front lawn. My wife said why you are selling the house. I replied back, I'm not selling the house the owner is selling it. She said, you don't like the house I modeled do you.? I said, no the guy doesn't like the in the middle of the night freight trains waking him up. She said take the for-sale sign off the house. I said, Jane the person who lives there is not a real person you know. She said, take the sign off the house. I seen there was no chance wining, so I took the sign off.
Swal

Good afternoon. Watching the AFC game, so far it’s an ok game. Great TD by Probably soon to be Mr. Swift. I really don’t want the Chiefs in the big bowl game but don’t need Lamar and company there either so just hoping for an entertaining game.

The game is in a drone delay… Never heard that one before but CBS says it wasn’t their drone

The grandson had 2 assists in the morning game I ended going to. Broke a $140 stick too as an opposing player stepped on his blade. Doubt it was intentional but it is what happened.

Great TD thrown by Lamar. The game is getting closer to good entertainment, another TD may get my interest…

I’m been looking at the upcoming new releases announced at the big train shown out East. Lots of great modern equipment but good lord the retail pricing! I’m not a cheapie and while I may buy one or 2 I won’t be buying 5 to 10 pieces at a time. A $70 retail price even with my LHS 20-25% discount at 20% is still $56 each. That’s getting out of hand. Not a rant but a comment

A good first quarter just ended…

enjoy the day

Willie your model of the house next to the tracks. Years ago, my wife modeled a similar home that was also near the tracks. For some realism I put a for sale sign on the front lawn. My wife said why you are selling the house. I replied back, I'm not selling the house the owner is selling it. She said, you don't like the house I modeled do you.? I said, no the guy doesn't like the in the middle of the night freight trains waking him up. She said take the for-sale sign off the house. I said, Jane the person who lives there is not a real person you know. She said, take the sign off the house. I seen there was no chance wining, so I took the sign off.
Swal
This one's not for sale as it represents our fantasy vacation home on the beach. That's my wife and granddaughter on the porch. It's also not that close to the tracks, I just put it there to stage it for the picture.

Good afternoon gang!

Inner ear infection is easing, its gone from pain to just slight pressure on the right side, left side is clear.
Slept most of the morning away after pancakes, eggs and sausage for breakfast. At ove point, SWMBO, the cat and both the dogs were all asleep on the reclining couch. Now she is watching football, I am working on little people.
Karl: A bird told me that you're now older than me today. I hope you have a great day, old man! 🙂
Blabbernouth!! 😉 🤣 Catch up if you can!!
Mentally, he's probably half that. Of course, mentally, I'm 14, so I don't have any room to talk...
Truth!!
Karl and I will be the same age again when I have my day in a few weeks...I think he'd agree, oh to be 30 again... 🤣
I could be 30 again, and if I could know what I know now, I'd be dangerous, and a whole lot richer!!

Louis, Thanks for the birthday train, I'll take 30 happily!

Seriously, thank All of you for the birthday wishes!

TomO. Keep us posted on the blood sugar activity. I've been a good boy the last few weeks (I was bad at Christmas) and next Saturday I have an appointment for my fasting bloodwork and med check. Last year my Endocrinologist put me on Farxiga for blood sugar and heart issues and over 3 months I went from 225 lbs to 195 lbs with no change in diet. For the last few month I have been holding steady at that weight, which isn't bad for a 6'2" frame.
Beef hotdogs and Johnsonville's new Beef and Cheddar sausages in the oven. Diced onions and jalapenos are ready. Nacho cheese waiting to go into the microwave. Miller High Life cold in the refrigerator. I'm ready for some football!
AFC Championship Kansas City @ Baltimore
I hope you have some antacids, I think you are gonna need em!

BBL

Evening all! Well Amherst 2024 is history. Today’s weather was less than perfect, snow and rain alternating all day. That didn’t seem to discourage people though. It was still pretty busy, but the crush was less intense. I did find some deals. Show loot is as follows:
Some great deals in tools. A metric tap and die set, a 61-80 drill set in a case with pin vise and five of each drill bit. No more stopping because my only bit broke! Some tweezers, a new bastard file, and some clamps for passenger car interiors. A small structure kit to complete a diorama I’m doing of Wickenburg Arizona. Been looking for this one for a couple of years! Some pre1955 green mailboxes and some post 1955 mail boxes without the eagle logo like when I was a kid. I remember the green boxes! A lifting magnet for my junkyard crane, some oil tanks and last but not least a pair of PFE reefers, both obscure classes. The big one is an early frozen food car and the 40 footer is the first steel sided class. The four big hoppers are for my son. He couldn’t make the show. He’s busy doing his thing on the real railroad! Flying home tomorrow. That’s the end of the road trips for a while and a good thing too. I’m out of socks and underwear!

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpeg
    IMG_4954.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4956.jpeg
    IMG_4956.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 23
I hope you have some antacids, I think you are gonna need em!
I only ate one Johnsonville Beef Cheddar, and I only drank two-thirds of my beer. Both were exceptionally good! I haven't gotten indigestion in many years. When I did it was not what I ate, but how much.

The game was more likely to cause indigestion. I've been a part of and witnessed too many losses to get upset. The Chiefs did not beat the Ravens, the Ravens beat themselves.

Go Lions!

I have a Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker. It can use charcoal or hardwood for fuel. I prefer charcoal, but I do add hardwood pieces presoaked in water throughout the process for smoke. Like most things there is a learning curve for smoking meat. It took me a few attempts to get better with it.

When we used to have our annual fourth of July parties, I got the smoker going before sunrise and kept it going until sunset. I started by smoking two whole pork shoulders. They would be used to make pork barbeque. After smoking for two-three hours I would boil them in beer to separate the fat and bone. The final step was to put the meat in a large crook pot with Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicey barbeque sauce. Next, I would smoke a whole 22+ pound turkey and last was two dozen chicken breasts. On the fourth of July there was never enough time for true slow cooking, but the smoke flavor was good none the less.

View attachment 180169

I like the hooks at the top of the smoker. They work great for smoking links of homemade sausages. You can see them in the photo below.

View attachment 180171
My wife prefers the BBQ Pro propane grill. She always kept up with our fourth of July guest’s appetite for hamburgers, hotdogs and sausages no matter how many showed up! She does a great job with steaks as well. My wife is no stranger to the Weber Kettle, but she likes the push button start on the gas grill. I like the side burner for steaming shrimp, vegetables or cooking just about anything. The searing burner is good too, but I’ve only used it a few times.
View attachment 180191
I prefer my Weber Kettle for convenience and the fact that I'm old. I’ve been using a Weber Kettle since 1988. These last 15-20 years I have always cooked with indirect heat on the Weber Kettle. I’m too decrepit to stand next to the grill and cook over the heat.
View attachment 180190
On the fourth of July I kept the Weber Kettle going by rotating eye round beef roasts, chicken breasts and chicken leg quarters. It’s not true slow cooking, but it does a respectable job of smoking meat. It’s my favorite method for cooking any kind of hotdog.

The Weber Kettles are durable. I’m still using only the second one I ever had. The first one got struck by a falling icicle and the lid got dented. That allowed rain to get inside, and rust soon destroyed it. It lasted thirteen years. I learned my lesson and got a cover for this one. It is now over twenty-two years old and showing signs of age. I’ll bet it makes twenty-five.

My late friend Harry Whitley gave me the second Weber Kettle. I came to work, and he noticed I was feeling blue. He asked, “What’s wrong with you did your girlfriend leave you?” I told him, “My Weber Kettle fell apart.” He told me he had one he never used and dropped it off at my townhouse that same day.

With thirty-five years of experience using a Weber Kettle I know how much charcoal to use for any kind of meat. Once I close the lid, I don’t open it again until it’s done. In the odd occurrence the meat is not done I have a large hi-power microwave that will finish the job. In those rare instances nobody noticed, not even my family.

Experience is the key to any kind of cooking. I began grilling as a teenager with hamburgers and hotdogs on a cheap, but effective Hibachi grill.
View attachment 180202
My late friend Adam Burkhardt introduced me to the Weber Kettle. He made chicken thighs and offered me one and it was great! I have been a Weber Kettle fan ever since.
The Weber kettle is my weapon of choice!

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those washing down their sorrows over sportsball.

Nothing new here. I took a nap.

Happy to see the Swifties in the Supper Bowl... or Sugar Bowling... or whatever it is. Mainly because of all the attitudes I hear about the camera showing the QB's girlfriend watching the game. Evidently that's bad or something. ;)

I don't sportsball, and got very confused when the one sport I kinda watch suddenly had people fighting in stores over replicas of it's Trophy. I mean, if you want a Stanley cup that badly, buy yourself a pro hockey team.

I'll leave you with a couple of character portraits for a fantasy series I've published a few books in, and plan to finish this summer:

Maria-003LR.jpg

Maria, and her buddy Emlyn...
Nerin-closeHR.jpg

Pics by Leonardo AI

Last edited:
Final report on preparing a brisket by the Sous Vide method. Absolutely fantastic. To recap, I dry-rubbed it with a homemade rub of sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, Cayenne powder, Paprika powder, Onion powder, Garlic powder and crushed dried Oregano from the garden. I put the uncovered brisket in the fridge for 8 hours to dry the surface. Then sealed it in a large Ziploc bag, exhausted as much air as I could and put it in the Sous Vide water bath for 48 hours at 135°. Then I immersed it in ice water (still in the Ziploc) for 15 minutes to stop the cooking. Next step was searing it on the grill for 1.5 minutes on the fatty side (dripping fat caused a fire), and 4.5 minutes on the other side. It came out perfectly.
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

As you can see, the searing did not cook it any further, but I did miss the smoke ring just a bit. But it sliced very well as shown here.
It was so tender that it could be cut with a fork alone without ripping it up. Taste was most excellent. I used G. Hughes Sugar-Free Hickory Flavor BBQ Sauce with it. Not the most spicy, but what we had on hand.

I am basically a grill and smoke kind of guy, but this experience has opened my mind to this method of cooking. Next time I am going to try it with the searing first to see what difference it makes. But first we'll have the leftovers later this week.

I am basically a grill and smoke kind of guy, but this experience has opened my mind to this method of cooking. Next time I am going to try it with the searing first to see what difference it makes. But first we'll have the leftovers later this week.

You'll probably still want to do a sear afterwards as well. Pre-sear is to "seal in the juices", whatever that means in this case. But after that long in its own juice inside the bag, you'll want the post-sear for appearance if no other reason.

How did you expunge the air in the bag?

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those washing down their sorrows over sportsball.

Nothing new here. I took a nap.

Happy to see the Swifties in the Supper Bowl... or Sugar Bowling... or whatever it is. Mainly because of all the attitudes I hear about the camera showing the QB's girlfriend watching the game. Evidently that's bad or something. ;)

I don't sportsball, and got very confused when the one sport I kinda watch suddenly had people fighting in stores over replicas of it's Trophy. I mean, if you want a Stanley cup that badly, buy yourself a pro hockey team.

I'll leave you with a couple of character portraits for a fantasy series I've published a few books in, and plan to finish this summer:

View attachment 180376
Maria, and her buddy Emlyn...
View attachment 180377

Pics by Leonardo AI
Troy I see they both have sords. Are they dragon slayer's or something?
Swal

I know AI driven graphics and stuff are way cool but I don't want photo realistic representations of my mythic or fantasy heroes and characters. They don't have cameras in those worlds usually. I much prefer a good hand drawn representation. Helps spur my imagination.

This is not directed at Troy. Just my random thoughts from seeing lots of AI driven images lately everywhere. They all look so stale and sterile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back