Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from day 6 of dense fog and fog advisories from the NWS. The sun? I have heard of that mythical orb but have not seen it for what seems forever. I do know when I run the monthly (2/1 for January) results on our home’s environmental system that the lack of sunshine will be shown by the poor solar system results.

It’s 34f degrees now and heading to high 30’s. The snow cover from the temperatures and the rain we’ve experienced the last 3 days has drastically gone done.

It’s a hockey day with the grandson having 3 games at home today. 10am, 2 and 8:30pm. I believe I am getting a cold, have the morning nose bleeds (sinus infection I assume) and just feeling blah, I may stay home and watch his games streaming online. The Badger women play #7 Minnesota Duluth again today at 3:00. #2 Wisconsin won a very well played game by both yesterday 2-1.

Just some touch ups to do and an ok from the client and my weathering projects for February are done.

Last night after dinner I watched my 11th Marvels Universe movie in order. Avengers Age of Ultron. I had seen it before, at the theaters but I really must have missed a lot that 1st time. I then spent 90 minutes at the workbench on some of my own stuff and finished up the night watching #12 AntMan. Sack time was after 1am

enjoy your day

I wish I was Aaron Franklin...

And I don't have a pit like his. I've got a Kamado. I can keep it stabile around 275 to 300° depending on the day. That means a faster cook than Aaron. And, I usually purchase just the flat, since it fits on the 18" kamado a lot better than a full packer.

If the wife ever stops trying to grow vegetables in our 6 hours of sun patio, I might just add another a pit. If that happens, I'm debating between a Traeger or a wood fired offset. You know, to be more like Aaron.
We have stood in the ridiculous line at Franklin’s once and one time the son and I were driving by and there was no line outside and most of the food was gone but enough for us. Both times very good BUT not in my opinion 2 hour wait in a line good.

I feel I have had better Barbecue in Texas than the mystical Aaron Franklins and at least 3 places within a short drive.

The son in law styled himself a great meat smoker kind of guy until he went down on business last Fall and he and our son hit 5-6 places during the week the SIL was there. I know he is changing his methods. Smoking and barbecuing meats is a whole other hobby.

IMG_1509.jpeg
Ravens doughnut and coffee on my desk

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 43°, 47° is forecast to be the high today. Clouds will disappear overnight and we'll be in the 60's for the next 8 days. Right now the wind is out of the north at ~15 mph, and will continue until sundown. Rainy miserable day yesterday with 0.49" in the rain gauge. Never rained more than a drizzle and the temperature never varied more than a degree from 50° all damn day. I'm sure that those of you in the upper Midwest region would love those conditions, but not me. On the positive side, one doesn't have to remove drizzle from sidewalks or driveways.

Rainy days always brings out the "honey do" list in my house and yesterday I spent a bunch of time doing mindless tasks about the place. Stuff like moving a picture 2" higher on the wall that I just hung 2 weeks ago, and incidentally at that time, I suggested hanging it higher to begin with! At least there was no crawling under sinks to exchange plumbing fixtures. I do see that in my future.

Here's a progress report on the Sous Vide brisket. Note that we didn't quite get all of the air out of the bag, but what's left isn't going to matter.
20240127_061340.jpg

20240127_061330.jpg

It shows the temperature and the hours/minutes left. It is set for 135°, so slight heating of the water is happening at the moment

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did just two things, I worked on the cemetery fence and now have 13" of the 21" done. It will be in two pieces since 21" is too unwieldy and I don't want to clear 21" on the workbench! ;) I would lose track of the stuff that I moved. The other was to just run some trains which I have neglected for several days. Hell, that's why I built the layout to begin with!
Back to the archives today for some random pictures since I have run out of layout tour photos.
I don't have a lot of billboards on my layout, but here is the front and back of one of them.
IMG_6965.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

10-21-19 004.JPG

There's only one other, and I can't find a "finished" picture right now, but here's one with it's temporary mounting.
IMG_1208.JPG

How about a skunk rummaging by an industrial spur.
03-17-20 006.JPG

And a leaky old oil barrel.
03-17-20 005.JPG

Sherrel - Along with many others here, I wish you the best with the medical issues. As they have all said, listen to your doctors and do what you and Kate decide is best for you both. Prayers from us both.
Hughie -
Willie - I would rather shop by myself. Give me a list, get what's on the list and out the door.
Normally that's how we do it. I go into the grocery store and she goes to other places (unknown to me but usually women's clothing stores) and returns about the time that I finish. The most annoying thing to me when we go together, is the damn purse. I like to leave the shopping cart at the end of the aisle in the rear of the store and just walk down and back picking up an item or two and dropping them off in the cart. She wanders or stops and studies stuff and I can't leave the cart unattended with her purse in it. Once I put the beer in it, (early in the journey), it's too heavy for her to push! I can't always get a cart with four good wheels!:mad:
I had little to no problem with the stairs on my Saulenas Tavern model, but I model HO and not N scale. I know that the steps are self-sticking, but I use a dab of glue on each riser when mounting them.
Patrick - Wife and I are like that, she's older by 23 months so I almost catch up with her for one month a year, that's this month.
Chad - I haven't read any recipes that recommend putting spices in the Sous Vide bag, but have seen a couple that you apply a rub for a few hours before starting the process.
Looking forward to the video of your daughter's band.
Louis - Leftovers make up about 1/3 of our weekly consumption, usually in the form of lunches. Add Ham salad to the list.
Todd
SV: Boy, I do not have the patience for that.
No patience necessary. Put in the water bath, set the temperature and timer and come back many hours later. See above.

Everyone have a great Saturday.

Last night after dinner I watched my 11th Marvels Universe movie in order. Avengers Age of Ultron. I had seen it before, at the theaters but I really must have missed a lot that 1st time. I then spent 90 minutes at the workbench on some of my own stuff and finished up the night watching #12 AntMan. Sack time was after 1am

enjoy your day
I've always enjoyed the MCU movies. My oldest sister was actually in one for a brief shot. At the end of Iron Man 3 there is a shot of Iron Man flying over a bunch of boaters in the Neuse river in Wilmington NC. There is a tall redhead (almost orange) in one of the boats, that's my sister. Wilmington has been film and tv friendly for years. as the old Matlock series was filmed there. My sisters late husband after he retired was an extra for the show, and appeared several times in the courtroom "gallery".

Morning folks

A gray but mild (for here) morning at 37F. The sea of mud that was the driveway is actually drying out a bit but the great January thaw continues.

Willie
, did you call the EPA about that leaking barrel??? For certain they would want to sample it. The next scene: 6 guys in full tyvek suits with respirators.

Good morning, all! The sun made a brief appearance, then poof it was gone, replace by some very dense, heavy looking clouds. Guessers say 2% chance of rain. We did collect an additional 1/2" last night. Yard is like a bog. Should the sun come out for a few days, the weeds will grow like mad. Today's adventure, the well is water logged and needs to be drained. I usually chlorinate the system when I do this.

I was just wondering, do you reckon Guy get lost in those Canadian woods?

Willie - "wanders or stops and studies stuff", that's it, and more annoying is she is looking at stuff we're not going to buy anyway.
The stairs - In N they are very small. Once you pull the backing off, the tread sticks to the tweezers better than the model and getting the backing off is a challenge all on its own. I usually leave the backing and put a dab of glue on each end of the riser.

Trains - I hope to get a little more done on the tavern. I don't put the window frames till the very last.

I have a Dyna-Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker. It can use charcoal or hardwood for fuel. I prefer charcoal, but I do add hardwood pieces presoaked in water throughout the process for smoke. Like most things there is a learning curve for smoking meat. It took me a few attempts to get better with it.

When we used to have our annual fourth of July parties, I got the smoker going before sunrise and kept it going until sunset. I started by smoking two whole pork shoulders. They would be used to make pork barbeque. After smoking for two-three hours I would boil them in beer to separate the fat and bone. The final step was to put the meat in a large crook pot with Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet and Spicey barbeque sauce. Next, I would smoke a whole 22+ pound turkey and last was two dozen chicken breasts. On the fourth of July there was never enough time for true slow cooking, but the smoke flavor was good none the less.

1706367616096.png

I like the hooks at the top of the smoker. They work great for smoking links of homemade sausages. You can see them in the photo below.

1706367720253.png

My wife prefers the BBQ Pro propane grill. She always kept up with our fourth of July guest’s appetite for hamburgers, hotdogs and sausages no matter how many showed up! She does a great job with steaks as well. My wife is no stranger to the Weber Kettle, but she likes the push button start on the gas grill. I like the side burner for steaming shrimp, vegetables or cooking just about anything. The searing burner is good too, but I’ve only used it a few times.
1706371521797.png

I prefer my Weber Kettle for convenience and the fact that I'm old. I’ve been using a Weber Kettle since 1988. These last 15-20 years I have always cooked with indirect heat on the Weber Kettle. I’m too decrepit to stand next to the grill and cook over the heat.
1706370451137.png

On the fourth of July I kept the Weber Kettle going by rotating eye round beef roasts, chicken breasts and chicken leg quarters. It’s not true slow cooking, but it does a respectable job of smoking meat. It’s my favorite method for cooking any kind of hotdog.

The Weber Kettles are durable. I’m still using only the second one I ever had. The first one got struck by a falling icicle and the lid got dented. That allowed rain to get inside, and rust soon destroyed it. It lasted thirteen years. I learned my lesson and got a cover for this one. It is now over twenty-two years old and showing signs of age. I’ll bet it makes twenty-five.

My late friend Harry Whitley gave me the second Weber Kettle. I came to work, and he noticed I was feeling blue. He asked, “What’s wrong with you did your girlfriend leave you?” I told him, “My Weber Kettle fell apart.” He told me he had one he never used and dropped it off at my townhouse that same day.

With thirty-five years of experience using a Weber Kettle I know how much charcoal to use for any kind of meat. Once I close the lid, I don’t open it again until it’s done. In the odd occurrence the meat is not done I have a large hi-power microwave that will finish the job. In those rare instances nobody noticed, not even my family.

Experience is the key to any kind of cooking. I began grilling as a teenager with hamburgers and hotdogs on a cheap, but effective Hibachi grill.
1706378413001.png

My late friend Adam Burkhardt introduced me to the Weber Kettle. He made chicken thighs and offered me one and it was great! I have been a Weber Kettle fan ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back