Recent content by nsconductor

1. N

Ho Do I Make A Track Cleaning Car

After going to 3 Home Depots, I found it.
  2. N

Ho Do I Make A Track Cleaning Car

I'm building one of these.....this Masonite board.... Not sure if I have the right stuff or not. When I searched around Lowes and Home Depot, all I could find is "hardboard". Dark brown, fairly smooth on both sides.....same kind of material that peg board is made from. I have quite a bit of it...
  3. N

Cheap HO Steam Engines

Whats up with these cheap steam locomotives on ebay? Been toying with the idea of getting one or two steam locomotives to run. They don't have to be fancy or anything......as long as they run somewhat smooth. I have modern diesels and usually buy Atlas and such for higher quality.....but steam I...
  4. N

Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

I guess rubbing alcohol will stay on the rails long enough to clean the wheels too?
  5. N

Anybody use a CMX Track Cleaning Car?

These look pretty nice....thinking on getting one. They are high priced.....$125 for one. http://youtu.be/-ayNElS9N_A This guy uses one....uses Goo Gone with it. Looks simple enough. Also seen the Centerline car with the roller. Both are high, but appear to work well. I kind of like the...
  6. N

Quality of rolling stock

I model HO, and have mostly Exact Rail, Atlas, and Walthers cars. I have a couple Genesis cars and a couple Athearn RTR cars. I'd say 80% of my stuff is the first 3.....I have around 50 cars. The first 2 I listed are top of the line in my opinion.
  7. N

Packing peanuts

I have a large box full of packing peanuts....the ones shaped like cheese doodles. Wondering if anybody has found a good use for them on a layout? Wife was getting ready to throw them away, but I told her I wanted to keep them a day or two. I do need to fill out some hardwood trees I'm making...
  8. N

Needing Plastic Wheels

PM Sent! I figured with most running metal wheels, there would be alot laying around. I guess people chunk them like they do with the old horn hook couplers.
  9. N

Airbrushing poly fiber

Anybody ever airbrushed Poly fiber. Not talking about woodland scenic fiber, but regular white poly fiber. I want some that's a brown or gray color to fill out some trees I'm making.
  10. N

Needing Plastic Wheels

I'm wanting to get 20-30 plastic wheel sets....to remove the wheels from the axles for the scrap yard. I have some, but not enough to make a decent pile. Most of my cars came with metal wheels, so I haven't had to change many. I have some old metal wheels I don't like, using them as old wheels...
  11. N

Hob-e-Tac Issue

Any of you guys had any issues with Hob-e-Tac? Followed the instructions....brushed it on the limbs kind of thick, let it set for 15-20 minutes until it starts to get clear and very tacky. Dipped the tree into the foam, shook off excess, pressed the foam onto the limbs to help stick the foam to...
  12. N

Speaking of roads

Most people seem to think the paving tape is too thin, lol. I went that route myself, Smooth It and WS paving tape. Very happy with the results. Tried the plaster once before with bad results, cracking, etc.
  13. N

HO scale tires, for junk pile

Yeah those look more like inner tubes. The post I read, the guy bought some sort or tube or hose from a hardware store. Guess I could get an HO scale vehicle and take it in there to compare size to various hoses.
  14. N

HO scale tires, for junk pile

What's something that could make some good HO scale tires? Read somewhere....thinking it was a post on here, about somebody buying some rubber tubing and slicing it up making old tires. Tried to search for the post with no luck....read about it recently.
  15. N

Making cement

Sculpt-a-mold and fine ballast to simulate the gravel in concrete. Mix it all wet with dark gray paint and you'd be set.

Back