Recent content by MOWboss

1. MOWboss

Who's your favorite?

2. MOWboss

Who's your favorite?

3. MOWboss

How to hide or landscape turntable?

How about a short storage and "interchange track." The round house needs to be provisioned by highway traffic. A gantry crane can transfer between highway and rail. Store some little used MOW equipment.
  4. MOWboss

Rails sprayed with WD40 - any risk of fire?

Try a patch blue jean material (Denim). Its slightly more abrasive than t-shirt.
  5. MOWboss

Layout height?

per the video from GeoGeorge be sure to cantilever the legs out and back a few inches from the outside edge of your bench work. You won't believe how many times you knock knees gliding around on your chair with straight legs. I think sitting down and operating is underrated. Another...
  6. MOWboss

Layout height?

The height of my layout was dictated by my window height. I didn't want to expose raw benchwork to the outside word. I made a roll around creeper (like they use to push weights) so I can lay on my back and work under the layout. Truth is - once you crawl around under there - how often do you...
  7. MOWboss

reducing rolling stocks

AND The best part of that era is NO EPA or OSHA involvement...!
  8. MOWboss

RR Lanterns Anyone?

For what its worth I was told that; Color of the glass. Road name etched on the glass (+glass color) Road name embossed on lantern body Functional and of course condition impact the value.
  9. MOWboss

reducing rolling stocks

I keep upgrading to smaller size cars - why run 2 65' gondolas when I can pull 3 40 footers. More traffic and less space... I grab ever 24' flat car I see at shows. I can make industrial loading docks (sidings) shorter and have better scenic compression.
  10. MOWboss

Organizing desk/workbench

For me the terry cloth seems to hold a part in the short fibers. I think the dish cloth might be too small. At least you have an idea or two to try out. Trick is to bounce the cloth on your lap so the parts will jump up
  11. MOWboss

Organizing desk/workbench

I stretch an old large terry cloth bath towel across my lap (feel like granny going on a buggy ride). Trick is to keep it stretched tightly. If it sags a stray part will fall in your lap and roll away under your workbench. It's great for clear and really small parts - stretch the towel tightly...
  12. MOWboss

New Layout, Suggestions Needed

Not sure without close up visual. The big mistake with 'cookie cutter" elevations is the angle of the slope is never figured in, so the only remedy in the long run is vertical retaining walls. Wad up some newspapers and stuff them between the elevations. Dress and fluff the newspaper mock up to...
  13. MOWboss

Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

Willie It's refreshing to see a layout with infrastructure; highways, parking lots, sidewalks with pedestrians, alleyways and all those little things that bring a model rr to life. Many, many years ago a respected modeler explained to me that a "great model RR layout" is one where the scenes...
  14. MOWboss

What's in a name...

Just completed "the bad side of town" or the wrong side of town or the other side of the tracks. The kind of area that your parents warned you about and was generally spoken in quiet whispers. Need help in calling it something. Looking for a name that conjures up an image in old sailors and...
  15. MOWboss

Looking for a modeller known as ‘Perkasie’

Did you use homasote on foam board? I think that would be a brilliant combination in built up areas....

Back