Layout height?

adamsdp

I am planning to order legs from Siever's for my 2' x 8' layout and they come in 40 or 48" heights. I initially thought the 40" would be plenty tall and I could sit while operating the layout, but after reading some older forum posts, am leaning towards the 48". It seems that 48" would put the layout at a better viewing angle and allow easier access underneath to work on wiring, etc. I think I can find an adjustable stool if I want to sit down while operating the layout. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. I a 6' tall if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Mine is about 48" and it is relatively easy for a shorter person to work under it. I also have my workbench under mine. I use a tall kitchen chair when I feel lazy, otherwise stand in the center (mine goes around the room) or where it is accessible on one side.

I have to use a two step stool to easily reach all the corners, as the tendency may be (was) to make the layout too wide in a couple spots.

Based on my space limitations, this is the best height for my layout. I also duck under it to get to the center, which I am fine with.

Dave LASM

From the interwebs:

"Generally, the best height for a model train layout depends on your height and personal preferences. However, most people recommend setting train sets up anywhere from 45”-54” off the ground. Before making a final decision, take your height and viewing preferences into consideration."

My single level layouts have been at 50” and 54” and I loved either height. The double decker is at 44” and 58” and neither deck seems comfortable to me.

Seems in the last year per the Doctor’s office I have shrunk to 5’9.5” after being 5’10 since high school.

Mine is at 48" on the first level rising to about 60" on the third level. Plenty of room to work underneath and there are pop-ups in the far reaches to get at the track for cleaning or other work.

The catenary I hung out in the middle of the longer part at about 55" was soldered from three different locations so I could reach it all. On a step stool.

Thanks for all the replies and good information! I am thinking the 48" height is the way to go. As mentioned, probably easier to shorten the legs then lengthen them if I find out I want it lower. The majority of opinions point to 48" over 40" as well. This is my first layout so appreciate the advice!

I was curious about this Thread ....so I measured my layout - (top of layout to floor is 36")
Originally James wanted to make my Modular Benchwork to stand at 40".
There are two heights of Book Cases in the same room as my layout - 32" and 41". 32" is too low; 41" is too high (for me).
(My height is 5' 10")

After working on my layout for awhile now, I am glad I went with the 36" height.
It is easier for me in stretching over from side to middle of layout;, to just looking at the layout; to working underneath or storing things under it.
As for working underneath the layout, e.g., for wiring, etc., I sit on a low height step stool. I am comfortable with it.

I also looked at the Video (Post #12).
Yep, I am pleased with my choice of the 36" height.

I just checked mine and it's 49", from the foam base to the floor. I can reach across 2' easily, but I need to be careful on a step stool to reach the back of the 3' width section.

At 6'1", I am very happy with my 42" tall layout. Tall enough that I don't have to bend over or feel compelled to sit down; short enough that I can look down on the layout and not have everything at nose level.

The height of my layout was dictated by my window height. I didn't want to expose raw
benchwork to the outside word. I made a roll around creeper (like they use to push weights) so I can lay
on my back and work under the layout.
Truth is - once you crawl around under there - how often do you go back....?
I can look down and authenticate some turnout positions that are behind structures.
I can reach the back of my layout comfortably.
I often operate sitting on a normal height stool; sitting = looking at ground level.
My grandson can walk around and see everything without assistance.
Being at this "lower" height I can always add another level in the future. If
your layout is at 48" what height would a second level be? 60"?
There's no right or wrong answer - whatever works for you - make good mental notes and your next layout will be better....

Window height dictated by county code limited my layout to 36", but part of my layout is at 32", which works well for me when seated, and for viewing by little kids.

The height of my layout was dictated by my window height. I didn't want to expose raw
benchwork to the outside word. I made a roll around creeper (like they use to push weights) so I can lay
on my back and work under the layout.
Truth is - once you crawl around under there - how often do you go back....?
I can look down and authenticate some turnout positions that are behind structures.
I can reach the back of my layout comfortably.
I often operate sitting on a normal height stool; sitting = looking at ground level.
My grandson can walk around and see everything without assistance.
Being at this "lower" height I can always add another level in the future. If
your layout is at 48" what height would a second level be? 60"?
There's no right or wrong answer - whatever works for you - make good mental notes and your next layout will be better....
The use of a "creeper" to maneuver under the layout is a good idea!
RE: " 'There's no right or wrong answer - whatever works for you - make good mental notes and your next layout will be better....' "
Good point!

Thanks for the additional replies and giving me more food for thought. I am going to mock up a couple of different heights and experiment with an adjustable chair and stool.

I have my layout legs at 4 feet (48"), plus bench work, cork ballast and rail, so around 49" for rail height from the ground. I'm 5'6" and this height is perfect for viewing trains at my eye level with slight bending. Perfect for taking pictures, especially of speeding locomotives; which was one of purposes of the layout. Being about 6-7 tracks wide in the station area at the widest point, it is easily reachable from just one side. Plus with my plans for eventually building catenary over mainline tracks and about half of the rail station, it's the most optimal choice. The catenary building gets extremely tedious if one is forced to squat down, or bent over in uncomfortable position, which i learned from working in a railroad museum. So to sum it up, it's best to determine layout height from the point of building it and ease of the operation, and also what are you trying to achieve with it (the purpose).

Back