Layout height?

While I mentioned I have had 50” and 54” layout heights for single deck layouts I did operate on one Sunday at 56”. Surprising to me it was only 56” as it felt slightly uncomfortable and until I asked thought it was 60”. A great switching layout the biggest reach was 19” to any track accessible from both sides as it was a center of the room island layout, 41” x 25’. I still had a great time. The owner is 6’2 and maybe low 40’s, a perfect height for him. He has been told it may appear in the 2025 Model Railroad Planner annual Tony K does for Kalmbach

A rule of thumb is the older you are the higher it should be. Personally I always liked looking at my models at ground level. The upper level of a double deck layout was almost perfect. Plus, it makes under the layout easier to get to for aging spines!

Thanks for the additional replies and giving me more food for thought. I am going to mock up a couple of different heights and experiment with an adjustable chair and stool.
per the video from GeoGeorge be sure to cantilever the legs out and back a few inches from the outside edge of your bench work. You won't believe how many times you knock knees gliding around on your chair with straight legs.
I think sitting down and operating is underrated.
Another consideration is to build micro operations with its own power supply and control panel. Example I have a car ferry at the waters edge and can sit there and load/offload hoppers for an hour.

Back