Recent content by alfsboy

1. A

Peco medium turnouts

I am using code 83 insulfrog on my layout .I wire it up and section it like a electrofrog though .
  2. A

Driver figures for Bachmann ON30 locos ?

Hi I am a newbie to this forum so I hope you all bear with me .I am sculpting some On30 (1/48 )master figures for an embryonic small range of figures.I have done a depot clerk and nearly finished a seated engineer for the shay .this will be followed by a fireman type figure .I bought a...
  3. A

When Will DCC become the standard?

I think a lot of the problem is you cannot run both easily on your existing layout .Sure the Tech 6 solves a lot of problems and creates at least one with Gensets not be compatible but its not that cheap and wipes out some of DCC 's advayages .Probably a tech 6 style power supply is the answer...
  4. A

Atlas Genset Pics

I havnt received my UP and possibly PHL Genset yet but thanks for showing its length ,I also assumed it was MP15 size and I will have to make my track leads a bit longer .Mercifully I am poised to lay track on my switching layout and can allow for it...... just .Saved by "hamitnblue"
  5. A

Atlas Gensets??

They look good .I use a Tech 6 but will run another controller until Atlas ,perhaps, sort it out .I will probably end up going DCC in the end anyway though the Tech 6 does answer most of my requirements as I'll only have one loco under my control at any given moment.i have a UP and possibly a...
  6. A

Atlas Gensets??

I have a UP Genset on order from a UK supplier and possibly a Pacific Harbor lines too .Really looking forward to them .Now all I will need is a sound chip .As I have never heard a Genset I wonder what they sound like ? Will Athearn make the six axle version ?
  7. A

What do you wanna see in HO

I make figure masters for various companies and was considering a modern US series ,.not sure if Woodland scenics and others wsill also do them .I wanted to start with the RC guy in Junes Trains magazine .The Junes Small world series were all mine and also montys model Railways in the UK plus...
  8. A

HO questions; where to find...

A possible alternative to DCC is the new MRC Tech 6 .This controller allows DC or DCC and enables full sound and lights from all DCC sound equipped locos .Its not perfect as you have to wire the layout as per DC and you can only control one loco at a time even if DCC is activated and you...
  9. A

HO questions; where to find...

If its any help Rivarossi are now made by Hornby International in Chinese factories .They also bought Arnold ,Jouef and Lima and spun off a new company from Hornby UK .certainly new European models are now made .Not sure about US models except they will certainly be more expensive than the old...
  10. A

Ground Throws, Which do you Use?

I used the sprung Caboose industry throws on a layout quite a few years ago and they worked well with Shinohara code 70.If the placing is awkward ,like two adjacent switches you can make a rod in tube extension from K+S sections and place the throw in a more convenient place nearer the edge...
  11. A

Modern switchers

I am modeling a modern UP BNSF type LA switching layout and also have some Gensets on order .I splashed out on a Genesis SP bloody nose MP15AC with sound and all those lights .OK ,its about 30 odd years too old and out of time and place but I like em and I may well make my layout loosely...
  12. A

La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress

Hi I am a first time poster from the UK .I am finding this thread very useful ,and indeed many others ,as I too am building a UP SP BNSF switching layout ,also in modular form based on LA though not too specific .I am vacuuming up many influences from threads such as these and all the great...

Back