Ground Throws, Which do you Use?

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Im wondering what Ground Throws you guys for your layouts? All of my turnouts will be manuals on my La Mirada Modules im building, i think thats part of the fun in switching so none of them will be wired to switch automatically.

What manufacture has the best Ground Throw? I'd like to get Throws that are factory assembled if possible, but kits are okay too as long as there easy to assemble. I have quite a few turnouts, and I dont want to spend all my time assembling small ground throws LOL

Thanks in advance :D

I don't have a ton of them, but the Caboose Industries throws work well and appear reasonable. You'll need to mind the throw distance when choosing altho with some creative engineering you can make virtually any of them work.

There's also another thread here somewhere where we discuss how to mount them, etc.

Also, make sure you get the sprung CI throws. They are better than the rigid throws. Also they are available in 5 packs. Much better deal than buying them singly.

I used the sprung Caboose industry throws on a layout quite a few years ago and they worked well with Shinohara code 70.If the placing is awkward ,like two adjacent switches you can make a rod in tube extension from K+S sections and place the throw in a more convenient place nearer the edge of the layout .In one part of the layout the only throw was just a short length of rod with both ends turned up 90 degrees in a tube running under some track (embedded in the underlay )and no springing or lever .It worked just fine ,oddly enough,the pressure was enough .

I have Caboose Sprung High Throws ready for my proposed layout...

IMG_3758.jpg

I silicone them onto little pieces of sheet metal so that they can easily be moved right along with the turnout.

Josh,

I have several Caboose 202S. The S is for sprung, and makes installation easier. Pretty simple once you put one in the others are easier. They do a great job, the throw rail is always snug.

Brad

Josh,

Pretty straightforward, although, to me the directions on the package arent very clear. But im a knitwit.

There is no assembly required, just hooking it up and securing it to the turnout. Key is to secure it with the both the throwbar and the turnout as close to percisely the middle as possible for both.

Josh,

Pretty straightforward, although, to me the directions on the package arent very clear. But im a knitwit.

There is no assembly required, just hooking it up and securing it to the turnout. Key is to secure it with the both the throwbar and the turnout as close to percisely the middle as possible for both.

Thanks Brad! i can handle that, and the fact that they are assembled is a HUGE plus :D :D

Now to order a few packs lol

Back