HO questions; where to find...

A possible alternative to DCC is the new MRC Tech 6 .This controller allows DC or DCC and enables full sound and lights from all DCC sound equipped locos .Its not perfect as you have to wire the layout as per DC and you can only control one loco at a time even if DCC is activated and you have to operate a switch from DCC to DC and back .For me its perfect as at present I have both DC and DCC sound equipped locos and i can operate both at the flick of a switch .It also has an optional walkround unit .
its not ideal but for me its perfect as I can only operate one loco at a time and I will want walk round .All switches will be hand operated .It will let me use full sound controls and works out cheaper than a very expensive high end DCC set up .just a suggestion.

Jannry, you're not thinking wrong. If the layout is straightforward and will only accommodate one train at a time, you can get by with DC.

However, it would be smart to wire the layout for DCC, paying attention to switch frogs, wiring sizes and so on, so that DCC can be plugged in easily when you need more sophisticated controls.

In two years, DCC prices might go down. Right now, though the basic all-in-one systems hover around $150, and you need to factor that into your decisionmaking.

Ok, so I have a lot of older trains. Will they work on a DCC layout?

Also, I bought a Red Box (Rivarossi) 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and when it came, I noticed that the motor was in the cab. I thought Red box had the motors in the boiler?

Will DCC run older locomotives? Do I need to do something to the locomotives to make them run on DCC?

Also, This 4-8-8-4 I have; can I re-fit the motor somehow to be in the boiler like the newer ones? Does anyone sell an aftermarket to detail the inside of the cab if I do this? I got my 4-8-8-4 for $100 which isn't too bad...
I've seen doors on the back of the cab on some brass Big Boy units. Maybe I could get a resin get to fit the opening? Did they actually have doors on the cab?

Back