La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Hi guys, this will be the thread where I post my progress of building the small HO Scale switching layout i have been planning. It consists of 6 modules (each numbered in the attached trackplan), which their dimensions are as follows:

Module #1 is 78" L x 24" W
Module #2 is 45" L x 24" W and is at a 45 degree angle
Module #3 is 96" L x 24" W
Module #4 is 96" L x 24" W
Module #5 is 96" L x 24" W and is at a 45 degree angle
Module #6 is 82" L x 24" W

All track is Central Valley Tie Strips with Micro Engineering Code 83 Rail. Turnouts are Walthers Code 83 #6, #4 WYE's, #6 3-Way Turnout, #6 Double-Slip & Atlas Code 83 12.5 Degree Crossing. Minimum Radius is 24" throughout the plan

**The top Orange rectangles that cross the Blue Rectangle on Module #3 are bridges. The Blue Rectangle is the Drainage Ditch. The Top Orange Rectangle will be one of the BLMA Concrete Segmental Bridges, the bottom Orange Rectangle a Plate Girder Bridge.
**All other Orange boxes are Buildings (each building has the company that occupies the building in or next to it)
**Red Lines are the BNSF Mainline. There are 2 Mainlines that run through, I have only included one. The mainline will be Concrete Ties.
**Yellow Tracks are La Mirada Yard Tracks. The real yard has 8 tracks, mine has 5
**White Tracks are Run-Around's
**Blue Tracks are Yard Leads or other Leads for Switching
**Purple Tracks are the loco/caboose track

Industries

Ill start explaining the industries from far left to right.

Majestic Management is a company that does not see Rail Traffic. The siding next to the building will be used to store loaded hoppers for Spartech Plastics
Spartech Plastics is a company with 2 unload tracks. Each track will hold one hopper. This industry will have to be switched often pulling empties out then pushing loaded hoppers from the storage track in.
Complete Environmental Products is an industry that no longer receives rail traffic. The switch is partially torn out, which will make for a fantastic detail i think!
US Gypsum receives boxcar loads and has a large concrete loading dock. 2 Boxcars at a time can be spotted here.
Pactiv Advanced Packaging Solutions is another Plastics company. There are several boarded up cargo doors along the back of the building, and I believe they only receive hopper cars down at the other end of the building, which will not be modeled. The 3 storage tanks will be built but again, they are no longer used. Exterior Piping and boarded cargo doors will be modeled on this one.
Airgas is a company that spots tank cars. 3 Cars can be spotted here at a time.
Latex International does not receive any rail traffic
The Small Square Building next to the end of the Purple Tracks is the yard office
Rohm & Haas Co. is the long skinny rectangle next to Weber Distribution. The long skinny rectangle is a tank car unloading platform.
Weber Distribution can spot several boxcars cars at a time
Tropical Asphalt can spot several shorty 2-bay Covered Hoppers at a time.
Montebello Container Corporation can spot 4-5 boxcars at a time. The second Montebello building which is located directly across from Georgia Pacific can spot 3-4 boxcars at a time.
Gesma Enterprises is a industries that spots tank cars. 1-2 tank cars can be spotted here behind the boxcars for Montebello, which is how it is laid out on the prototype.
Italcal Trading does not receive any rail traffic
Leader Automotive Inc can spot 2 boxcars at a time
Georgia Pacific can spot several cars at a time on the track nearest the building. The second track nearest the building is used as a storage track for additional loaded boxcars that are switched in when the needed.
Estenson Logistic LLC can spot several cars at a time. This industry spots cars rather oddly, and each car much be spotted exactly. There is space between each boxcar spotted, so the cars must be tied down individually, which will make for some interesting details.

In my next post I will post the start of Module #4, which is the module I have chosen to start with

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,008
Its not much to show, but you get the idea lol

I used the all of the remaining Central Valley Tie Strips I had laying around. I will have to order some more of them. But I did have enough to get the right side of the yard laid out. The BNSF Mainline will run along the back, and will be up on roadbed so it will be slightly raised from the rest of the yard. The bottom track in the picture is the siding for Estenson Logistic LLC. The second track from the bottom is the yard lead (which is the blue track on the plan just above Estenson). This track was stopped short, and where it ends the first turnout will be placed.

Ill be ordering the turnouts as well as some more Central Valley Tie Strips and the Concrete Flextrack for the BNSF Mainline i need for module #4 tomorrow, and they should be in sometime next week.

SL370001.jpg

SL370002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this one looks achievable. hope it will go farther then your still mill layout last year ;)

do you have room to have it all assembled?

Cool. Let the games begin!

Very nice!! You don't mess around....

this one looks achievable. hope it will go farther then your still mill layout last year ;)

do you have room to have it all assembled?

Thanks guys! :D

Anton, that Steel Mill was always a future plan, I never intended to start building it now. Ill save that for when I get a house of my own and can take over the garage or add a large room onto the house LOL

I wont be able to set this up in my room, so I will have to take them outside when operating, which isnt a big deal to me. On a rainy day, I could take them downstairs and set them up in the living room/entry way. Its a large space with tile floor.

Its not much to show, but you get the idea lol

I used the all of the remaining Central Valley Tie Strips I had laying around. I will have to order some more of them. But I did have enough to get the right side of the yard laid out. The BNSF Mainline will run along the back, and will be up on roadbed so it will be slightly raised from the rest of the yard. The bottom track in the picture is the siding for Estenson Logistic LLC. The second track from the bottom is the yard lead (which is the blue track on the plan just above Estenson). This track was stopped short, and where it ends the first turnout will be placed.

Ill be ordering the turnouts as well as some more Central Valley Tie Strips and the Concrete Flextrack for the BNSF Mainline i need for module #4 tomorrow, and they should be in sometime next week.

SL370001.png

SL370002.png

Josh,

What is your distance between tracks? Yard tracks really don't need to be more than 2 inchs between centers. In the photos, it looks wider than that. Not that it makes much difference, I'm just trying to save you space.

Larry

Josh,

What is your distance between tracks? Yard tracks really don't need to be more than 2 inchs between centers. In the photos, it looks wider than that. Not that it makes much difference, I'm just trying to save you space.

Larry

There are in fact spaced on 2" track centers. Only the bottom 2 tracks are father spaced, the bottom most track being a siding for Estenson Logistic which is the black track in my plan. The second track from the bottom is the yard lead, which is shown in blue on the plan. I used the measuring feature in the track planning program and measured each track from the edge of the module, then marked those measurements on the foam and drew the track centers, then laid the Tie Strips :D

Hi
I am a first time poster from the UK .I am finding this thread very useful ,and indeed many others ,as I too am building a UP SP BNSF switching layout ,also in modular form based on LA though not too specific .I am vacuuming up many influences from threads such as these and all the great prototype forums over in your country .I am also interested in the LAJ .PHL etc .I will post my first module in a few days .Its the first of I hope quite a few .Keeping it all fairly straightforward literally as it will be a thin linear railroad .(I hope).Although a switching layout ,it will include an outside main so I can run Surfliners and Intermodel through the layout .I will certainly add T modules though they may also function as join up sections for either side of my garage and include wyes .At present I have a Genesis MP 15 AC SP bloody nose which is of course out of time and place but it is a hobby and I like MP15's with all the lights bells and airhorns .I must admit sound is a strong influence on my choice .
One question, If I may be so bold .Are The prototype switches on the spurs and trindustrial tracks hand thrown ? I intend to hand throw my model switches but would like to know if this is still used by the railroads .I keep watching films on youtube and just missing if the brakeman throws a switch lever .many thanks

Hi
I am a first time poster from the UK .I am finding this thread very useful ,and indeed many others ,as I too am building a UP SP BNSF switching layout ,also in modular form based on LA though not too specific .I am vacuuming up many influences from threads such as these and all the great prototype forums over in your country .I am also interested in the LAJ .PHL etc .I will post my first module in a few days .Its the first of I hope quite a few .Keeping it all fairly straightforward literally as it will be a thin linear railroad .(I hope).Although a switching layout ,it will include an outside main so I can run Surfliners and Intermodel through the layout .I will certainly add T modules though they may also function as join up sections for either side of my garage and include wyes .At present I have a Genesis MP 15 AC SP bloody nose which is of course out of time and place but it is a hobby and I like MP15's with all the lights bells and airhorns .I must admit sound is a strong influence on my choice .
One question, If I may be so bold .Are The prototype switches on the spurs and trindustrial tracks hand thrown ? I intend to hand throw my model switches but would like to know if this is still used by the railroads .I keep watching films on youtube and just missing if the brakeman throws a switch lever .many thanks

Welcome to the forum!!

Andy (cajon) is modeling the LAJ as well, hes in the final planning stages and will hopefully start on his modules soon! Im looking forward to them :D

Thanks for sharing a little about yourself and your modeling projects. I look forward to seeing your progress on your modules :D

I believe that all of the switches in the La Mirada Industrial District are still hand thrown, but I could be wrong. I was messing with one of them on an abandoned section of track, throwing it back and forth. I was extremely surprised to see how easy it was to switch the tracks, it took little to no effort to switch, and this was on a section of track that has not been used for some time.

Alf, welcome abord. we do have some other modelers from the UK that post regularly. If you haven't seen it yet, check out Jim Smith-Wrights work at http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6432.

With few exceptions, all switchs for industrial trackage are hand thrown. Since you are apparently modeling the modern era, a fairly recent development is the "back saver" type switch stand. You can see one at http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/525-1918, and they add an interesting touch to modern era switches.

Got some more work done on Module #4 of this project today. i laid the rest of the Central Valley Tie Strips and placed the Walthers #6 Turnouts and Atlas 12.5 degree crossing. The last turnout to go on this module will be a Walthers #5 WYE, but it is not in stock and backordered till August, so I wont have it for a while...

The mainline was laid out down the length of the module. Its Atlas Code 83 Flex with Concrete Ties laid on Woodland Scenics Foam Roadbed. This will be the only elevated track, and it is only slightly elevated.

Im waiting for Micro Engineering Code 70 Rail to come in, so as soon as that comes in ill be able to lay the rest of the track and complete the yard. After that, ground throws will be installed, and then it will be ballasted.

Here are some quick pictures that show the recent track laid with some Cushion Coil Cars and 53' Thrall Gondolas on the track to give you an idea of how many cars this yard will be able to hold.

SL370001-1.jpg

SL370002-1.jpg

SL370003.jpg

SL370004.jpg

SL370005.jpg

Attached below is a picture of the section im working on right now

Looking really good there Josh. What are those cars? Cushion Coil cars? What are those used for?

I want some of those!

Looking really good there Josh. What are those cars? Cushion Coil cars? What are those used for?

I want some of those!

Thanks Michael :D

The Cushion Coil Cars are used to transport coiled steel from steel mills to finishing mills or other mills that turned the coiled steel into whatever they may need

Looks real good Josh but how can you drink that Monster crap :p What's the overall size for the layout?

Thanks Cory :D

Monster is good, I know its bad for you but ehhh LOL

The overall size is about 22-1/2' x 12-1/2' if all of them are set up and connected

Looking good! Whats with the ties and no rails? Is that a type of hand laid track?

Thanks Kellan :D

The Ties are Central Valley Branchline Tie Strips. They dont have rail, the rail must be supplied, and yes, its a form of hand laying the track. The Tie Strips allow for a seamless continuous strip of ties because of their ingenious connecting system on each of the end ties. One end has 2 small tabs that stick up, the other has 2 small holes, both end ties are half ties so when there combined they make 1 complete tie

Thanks Cory :D

Monster is good, I know its bad for you but ehhh LOL

The overall size is about 22-1/2' x 12-1/2' if all of them are set up and connected

Yeah I'm a redbull kind of guy :D Pretty decent sized layout, makes my planned 10'x11' seem awfully small. I look forward to the future updates!

Yeah I'm a redbull kind of guy :D Pretty decent sized layout, makes my planned 10'x11' seem awfully small. I look forward to the future updates!

LOL Redbull is good, especially when you mix it with... Ill stop right there to keep it PG lol

I tried to keep the layout size down, but with prototype modeling it gets rather hard to compress everything down to fit LOL. Ill definitely have to bring the modules outside to set them up and hook them all up together, my small 10'x12' room isnt big enough, even if i ran them out into the hallway LOL

LOL Redbull is good, especially when you mix it with... Ill stop right there to keep it PG lol

I tried to keep the layout size down, but with prototype modeling it gets rather hard to compress everything down to fit LOL. Ill definitely have to bring the modules outside to set them up and hook them all up together, my small 10'x12' room isnt big enough, even if i ran them out into the hallway LOL

Yep that was the big problem I was having with planning my layout. I ended up just selecting one of the Industrial spurs in the area I wanted to model and will be using removable car cassettes to connect with the rest of the world. Oh well I can always expand onto it later.

Back