Thanks Giving Weekend Photo Fun 11-27/11-30

The original UP 1870 was a EMD TR5A....UP 1870-1877 were assigned to helper service on the South-Central District during early 1953; during February and March 1953 each unit had the D.S. (Diesel Switch) prefix removed from its 1870-series number. UP 1870-1872 were modified with 1400 gallon fuel tanks (originally equipped with 600 gallon fuel tanks) and air reservoirs on top of car body in September 1968 for service on the North Platte, Neb., hump yards. After being modified, they had 521,600 pounds total cow/calf operating weight. Then 7 units were built into SW10s units 1871 thru 1877. 1870 was the only one not re-built into a SW10. It was built in 1951 and retired in June 1976.

As for Athearn these were a real goof in being speced out as what it was intended for. Because it was to be a SW7 but for this unit number it should a been a EMD TR5A ...NOT... the latter nor could it have been a SW1500. So all in all the mold is in fact SW7/9 shell.

Between the time of UPs first Diesel switcher locomotives in 1939 and the 1982 merger with Western Pacific and Missouri Pacific, Union Pacific owned 118 non-EMD yard switchers. Included were 54 Alco S-2s, 45 Alco S-4s, six Baldwin VO 1000s, five Baldwin DS-4-4-10s, five Fairbanks-Morse H10-44s, one single Alco S-3 and a single Alco HH-1000, both of which came to UP with the purchase of the Mount Hood Railway in 1968, and finally, a single General Electric 44-ton center-cab switcher.

continued...http://www.utahrails.net/articles/up-sw-other.php the history of the D.S. designation....first switcher was in black by the way....

Last edited by a moderator:
Alco, did I say corroded? Sorry, I meant weathered. :)

That is definitely not the right bell for any SW-7 I've ever seen and sure never came with the kit. The only bell I've ever seen like that would be for steam engines.

I wondered about the bell I think it came from a steam kit too. But in the box I got it came with it...oh well it is neat and I am keeping it on there LOL.

I have had it for a while 20 plus years...it is due for an overhaul...soon.

I might add I like my SW7/9 Protos better for detail but these BB are good too.

Been working on an HEP/Baggage far for the Texas & Gulf Coast Railroad's lessor (i.e. un-named) passenger trains. The theory is that the hot shot trains get the fancy names and nice matched A-B-B-A sets of F40-PH's, but the branch line and connecting trains just get any spare locomotive in the area. The HEP/Bag cars have a generator at the front end of the car that can provide HEP for up to 10 cars. The generator compartment is open on the side of the carbody to allow airflow around the generator. The opening is covered by a mesh screen. The generator sets are designed to be hot-swapped in as little as 15 minutes. As they are difficult to service in the confines of the compartment, spare generators are stationed at strategic points along the line. The quick swap feature also helps keep mechanical delays at a minimum.

DSC05159.jpg

here's where I ended up tonight. I still need some mesh screen (any suggestions?) and an exhaust stack on the roof. I'm thinking a flapper cover on the exhaust that weather vanes to keep the flapper closed in the wind, the trains often operate in push-pull mode...

The Before and After shot:
DSC05161.jpg

I used a Lifelike generator load as a starting point. I moved the radiator to the side, so it would be in the airflow, and added a generator to the engine. The "generator" started as a flammable barrel I got in a military playset I bought for the vehicles in it.

I had to cut some of the frame away on the backside to fit around the truck mounting screw. My next fitting challenge? Moving the weights to the rear of the car, and making a styrene "room" for the generator.
DSC05162.jpg

In place:
DSC05163.jpg

p.s. yes the TX&GC has a blue strip down the middle... I have not finished painting this car yet.

Hmmm V&Al ... thats some pretty nice work your doing, but youve got the generator mounted on the wrong end of the motor.. The way you got it looks cool thou -

oops.... but once you move the radiator, does it matter which end of the motor the generator is on?

Alco, is that bell plastic or metal??

Jim, My SW7 JTEX #23 has plastic sideframes, not metal. I didn't add any extra handrails to it, just grab irons. That unit was a UP D.S. 1870 just like Alco's. I just patched it. These are the correct bells for an SW7. Most units had this type.

13421204660800.jpg

Mike, that SW1500 #1040 is about as detailed as you can get for a UP unit. All of my Athearn switchers start as BB kits. I followed prototype pictures and added everything that I saw on this photo.

pictures_17633_Upy1040onNyardleadXo.jpg

Also the rumor of a new model SW1000/1500 is true. The new models have see threw screens on the top and front radiators. I will look for the prototype photos later.

oops.... but once you move the radiator, does it matter which end of the motor the generator is on?

I think what he was saying is you have the Gen running off the front of the motor. most applacations have the gen running off of the rear of an engine just like a car or truck engine. It still looks good tho most wont know anyways;) is that a cummins or detroit diesel?? I cant see up close but it looks like a large commercial diesel.

Great pics everyone and the weekend just started!!!

very interesting jim and alco. thats all good info. Strange how all of the hand rails were metal. I wonder if it is possible to detail this little engine up to
make it look really nice.

wheeler and alco those are nice looking switchers. Wheeler how did you get the more detailed SW1500? was it a athearn BB?

I wonder if the rumor is true about Athearn coming out with a Gensis SW1500 with the same amount of detail as the MP15DDC.
I would buy a handfull of those.

Mike, here is the link for the new RTR SW1000 from Athearn. Get your checkbook ready!!! lol

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH95810

And here is the link for the SW1500. both are available right now.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH95840

Alco, the Athearn BB SW7 kits came with a plastic bell just like that. BUT, it looks like that one is broken and leaning off to the side. Here is a pic of one that isn't broken.

100_2849.jpg

If you need a new one, I have plenty of extras I can send you.

V&AL, nice work on the HEP car kitbash. I wouldn't know which end of generator is right anyway and I'm sure it will look fine with the mesh on it.

Jerome, I think I said extra grabs and didn't mention handrails. I think you've got it now that I see the bell on the unit you post, Alco's bell has just broken loose from the frame. Athearn did have two styles of bells, the one with the rope attachment for manual ringing and the one with the solid metal frame for the air actuated bell. I'm not sure any SW-7 came with a manual bell. I'm surprised that you've got a BB SW-7 with plastic sideframes. I bought a lot of those back in the 60's and 70's when I was actively modeling anf they were all metal. I haven't bought any since so I guess Athearn must have gone to plastic side frames at some point. Shows you what I know. :)

Good job on the video, Jeffrey.

....here's where I ended up tonight. I still need some mesh screen (any suggestions?)

Cool project and looking good!

Not sure who makes it, but I walked into my LHS and asked for 'micro-mesh' screen and this is what I found. It is (IMO) the best I found for generator screening. Here is one of my Ringling generator cars with the mesh. And yes, that's the same (LL) generator you are using!

RBBB_47_a-1.png

RBBB_47_b.png

Great Turkey weekend pics everyone!

While the train is gathered up by MadCoW diesels, the ex SP 4449 sits quietly waiting for the train to be put together...
AFT_4449_a.png

A MadCoW geep moves one of the showcase cars into position on the train...
20081114_160749_R3_S8.png

Have a good rest of the weekend!!

Johnny

Nice video, mtrpls, and a really nice passenger train. Wouldn't it be great if we could see that in 1:1 scale.

Bill, I was going to suggest that V&AL contact you about the sceening you used for your generator car. How much work do you still have to do on the AFT?

Jerome, I got all excited about those Athearn SW's until I checked the link. "Not available until April, 2009". Shucks!

...Bill, I was going to suggest that V&AL contact you about the sceening you used for your generator car. How much work do you still have to do on the AFT?

Hi Jim,

Here's the rundown; I rebuilt(more accurately) the observation car and the other 2 coaches, they are awaiting paint. All that is left to build are the 2 generator cars and then my train is done. The delay comes from doing custom work for others. After I started my Freedom Train, I built another complete train for a client in PA. And have been doing doing various other cars from the train for others as well. Most popular requests are for the power cars and the showcase cars. I guess they are the ones folks don't like to fuss with.

Here's a pic of some power cars I did for another client;

AFT111
AFT111.png

AFT111 & 200
AFT111_200.png

And BTW, these cars have the same micro-mesh screening in them.

Johnny

Back