Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A story from the memory banks of a long-retired sailor man

I don't know why or whether this sort of "thing" is acceptable on these Forums, but given my limited experiences at this super-interactive watering hole - figured if anywhere on the Forums would "work" for what I have to say - this place will.

Here goes:

Most, if not all sailors, know the difference between a sea-story and a fair-tale, well - this ain't either; it happened on a fine early evening at a close-to-authentic Irish Pub in downtown St. Louis, Missouri.

About once or twice (or thrice) a month a group of us would meet on Fridays after working hours for an unscheduled Happy Hour of our own making. The owners (brother & sister) were long-time acquaintances and always welcomed the presence of "men in uniform."

While gathering around a table made up for a dozen of us (give or take) one of the guys announced to the gathering that he was in love. Younger than the majority, this character swore he had never felt the way he was feeling about anyone of the opposite sex (that was at a time when we had opposite sexes).

The waitresses (they had not yet "elevated" to server status) were all college students making a few bucks in between classes and (doubtfully) studying.

One of the gals who waited on us regularly asked where we were all stationed and of course the attention focused in my direction. Not recalling the exact words, let me put it this way: "We just tied up down at the Arch and I gave the guys from our submarine the night out." The suppressed laughter was worth the story. Anyway, whether she believed me or not, that tale spread like oil on water throughout the joint.

The youngster with love-pangs had made a few successful "inroads" with the gal he was smitten with and told me he wanted to marry her.
I replied, "That can be done." His response, "Really?" Mine: "Yes, you do know that I, as your Skipper, have the authority to perform marriages at sea." He said, "But, we are not at sea. We are in a river." Continuing: I told him, "Not an issue, this can be done." His: "How?"

While all of this was going on, the pitchers of beer were being refilled faster than human consumption could keep up.

I asked the gal who was our "regular" to fetch a couple (as in two) pails of water; she obliged. The young man was mesmerized. I told him that to "qualify" for the marriage rites, he and his true love would have to immerse one foot in a pail of water and when they did, I would perform the ceremony.

The guys were besides themselves - but as sailors are known to be, went along with it all; with great cheer and gusto.

"True love" and the young man did as instructed and the ceremony began with a best man and a maid of honor along with dozens of witnesses.

The young man interrupted with "Don't we need a license to do this?" And of course, I came up with: "Nope; this is not a religious nor civil ceremony and is governed by the traditions of seafaring men." He bought it.

They were married on the spot and for however the blissful aftermath lasted, undoubtedly that night became etched in many a mind.

As happens in the military, people come and go. However, stories like mine develop lives of their own. Captain of a submarine got me more than a few drinks but more rewarding, lots of new acquaintances.

End of Story

Tom in Missouri

Good evening,

A simple 15 minute job, I should have been able to do from home, took nearly 3 hours and a trip back to the office. Back home, but still don't know what happened.

Firewall at city hall locked up while running an update, so I have to run to the office 45 minutes away to unplug and reset the power to the firewall and hope it comes back up. In the process, I accidentally started the update that was going to happen in 2 weeks on the Police department firewall. At least that one worked the way it was supposed to. After it comes back up and resets all the point to point VPN links, I then have to go to Fire Station one and reset the lights and tones with the county. For the non firefighters, lights and tones turns on the lights and sounds the alarms when the station is called to an emergency at all times.

Oh well, this was typed from home, remoted into my work computer because I can...At least everything seems to be working again.

See you in the morning. You have another 3.5 hours for the free drinks....And you're all welcome.

I don't know why or whether this sort of "thing" is acceptable on these Forums, but given my limited experiences at this super-interactive watering hole - figured if anywhere on the Forums would "work" for what I have to say - this place will.

Here goes:

Most, if not all sailors, know the difference between a sea-story and a fair-tale, well - this ain't either; it happened on a fine early evening at a close-to-authentic Irish Pub in downtown St. Louis, Missouri.

About once or twice (or thrice) a month a group of us would meet on Fridays after working hours for an unscheduled Happy Hour of our own making. The owners (brother & sister) were long-time acquaintances and always welcomed the presence of "men in uniform."

While gathering around a table made up for a dozen of us (give or take) one of the guys announced to the gathering that he was in love. Younger than the majority, this character swore he had never felt the way he was feeling about anyone of the opposite sex (that was at a time when we had opposite sexes).

The waitresses (they had not yet "elevated" to server status) were all college students making a few bucks in between classes and (doubtfully) studying.

One of the gals who waited on us regularly asked where we were all stationed and of course the attention focused in my direction. Not recalling the exact words, let me put it this way: "We just tied up down at the Arch and I gave the guys from our submarine the night out." The suppressed laughter was worth the story. Anyway, whether she believed me or not, that tale spread like oil on water throughout the joint.

The youngster with love-pangs had made a few successful "inroads" with the gal he was smitten with and told me he wanted to marry her.
I replied, "That can be done." His response, "Really?" Mine: "Yes, you do know that I, as your Skipper, have the authority to perform marriages at sea." He said, "But, we are not at sea. We are in a river." Continuing: I told him, "Not an issue, this can be done." His: "How?"

While all of this was going on, the pitchers of beer were being refilled faster than human consumption could keep up.

I asked the gal who was our "regular" to fetch a couple (as in two) pails of water; she obliged. The young man was mesmerized. I told him that to "qualify" for the marriage rites, he and his true love would have to immerse one foot in a pail of water and when they did, I would perform the ceremony.

The guys were besides themselves - but as sailors are known to be, went along with it all; with great cheer and gusto.

"True love" and the young man did as instructed and the ceremony began with a best man and a maid of honor along with dozens of witnesses.

The young man interrupted with "Don't we need a license to do this?" And of course, I came up with: "Nope; this is not a religious nor civil ceremony and is governed by the traditions of seafaring men." He bought it.

They were married on the spot and for however the blissful aftermath lasted, undoubtedly that night became etched in many a mind.

As happens in the military, people come and go. However, stories like mine develop lives of their own. Captain of a submarine got me more than a few drinks but more rewarding, lots of new acquaintances.

End of Story

Tom in Missouri
Nothing like a good "war story" from a fellow service man. Got a few of my own and might share it some day.

W
Good evening,

A simple 15 minute job, I should have been able to do from home, took nearly 3 hours and a trip back to the office. Back home, but still don't know what happened.

Firewall at city hall locked up while running an update, so I have to run to the office 45 minutes away to unplug and reset the power to the firewall and hope it comes back up. In the process, I accidentally started the update that was going to happen in 2 weeks on the Police department firewall. At least that one worked the way it was supposed to. After it comes back up and resets all the point to point VPN links, I then have to go to Fire Station one and reset the lights and tones with the county. For the non firefighters, lights and tones turns on the lights and sounds the alarms when the station is called to an emergency at all times.

Oh well, this was typed from home, remoted into my work computer because I can...At least everything seems to be working again.

See you in the morning. You have another 3.5 hours for the free drinks....And you're all welcome.
hen you retire they will be right royally screwed

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1711010041757.png

The Lake Erie & Western yard at Tipton, Indiana (my hometown!).
Tipton was a division point on the LE&W and Nickel Plate until 1933 when it was moved to Frankfort.
Postcard from Bob Albert collection.

Here goes:

End of Story

Tom in Missouri
Did you explain contraception

Our hobby has a habit of losing its member our average age not being in our favour in the unlikely loss of someone without warning I want to reiterate this coffee shop brightens my life

that said I have a spot on the layout for anyone who needs it

Take your pick the leaning over drunk one I warn you is heavily over subscribed…. Wiggles eyebrows

Attachments

• IMG_3523.jpeg
    IMG_3523.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9203.jpeg
    IMG_9203.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 16
Good Morning All!

44F @ 63% clear with stars. Got to 72F yesterday, supposed to rain and snow through Saturday.

Ima early today as we are heading to my yearly eye thing. Should be outa here about 0400 for a 0645 appointment 150 miles out. Since I am diabetic I get the full light treatment. Probably will be able to see again about noon when the dilatation crap wears off. Need to stop by audiology for filters. Wife will drive out from the VA. She wants CostCo and I want Cash n Carry. Suspect we will stop and eat somewhere too.

Welp, remember me telling you about the house and the lack of insulation upstairs? Since getting that done, we have currently used about 1/2 of the pellets we did last year. That is a good thing!

Why is a Man like a cooler? Ya can fill him with beer and take him anywhere.

Later

Our hobby has a habit of losing its member our average age not being in our favour in the unlikely loss of someone without warning I want to reiterate this coffee shop brightens my life

Take your pick the leaning over drunk one I warn you is heavily over subscribed…. Wiggles eyebrows
I told my son when I die, I want to be cremated, and have a burial at sea--be sure to flush twice.

I that case this one for me:

Last edited:
Morning all,

Another day, another day older...

42° and clear going for a high in the upper 60's later.

Might have to leave early today. There's an estate sale advertising trains. Pictures show some blue box stuff along with Life-like and Model Power stuff. I'd go for the blue box stuff and see about some of the other things. I don't really have a bunch for trains this month. I'm starting to get a little choosy about what I get anymore.

KriegslokBR52
: I prefer cheese on my Tombstone. Haven't seen a Tombstone commercial in years, but have several in my freezer.

First ticket of the day...

BBL

Morning all,

Another day, another day older...

42° and clear going for a high in the upper 60's later.

Might have to leave early today. There's an estate sale advertising trains. Pictures show some blue box stuff along with Life-like and Model Power stuff. I'd go for the blue box stuff and see about some of the other things. I don't really have a bunch for trains this month. I'm starting to get a little choosy about what I get anymore.

KriegslokBR52: I prefer cheese on my Tombstone. Haven't seen a Tombstone commercial in years, but have several in my freezer.

First ticket of the day...

BBL
I like mushrooms on my pizza, but there was no such choice🤣

G'day Gents and Ladies (of course!),

Thanx for the hot mugga Joe, appears you know what I like; be careful with that! Please add one of those apple turnovers . . . thanx.

A chilly 33 (F) here in near-mid-continent USA where 2nd full day of Spring is trying to emerge; we'll get there.

Appreciate the comments from those of you who took the time to read through my sailor's story - glad you liked it.

Last night I spent a wee bit of time down in my basement in the renamed train room - Tom's Lion's Den (appropriate since I will be running Lionel LionChief sets 'round and 'round my oval-in-oval 16x8 ft layout. My three (03) sets were test run over the pike with all cars remaining coupled, no incidents of concern and all seems ready to proceed with the finishing touches - once I decided on what they will be! Taking it on a slow bell - there is no rush. I turned off the overhead lighting and just sat back enjoying the locomotive headlights along with illuminated consists of the Polar Express and Santa Fe Chief streamliner (shorties). My Polar Express freight sat at idle in the long passing siding. With music in the background it was a most pleasant time watching and listening to locomotive sounds (bells, whistles, horns, announcements, etc.) For me, that is the objective of it all.

Gotta run - big day on my social calendar (ha) as I get to visit with my dentist and the office gals - all female staff (hmmmmmm). Anyway, nothing unnerving, just routine "stuff" to ensure all is as it should be.

No time for a refill - I hope to return before day's end though.

Enjoy this fine day!

Tom in Missouri

Good Morning All. Light rain and 57°, with more light rain throughout the day. It's so light right now that the porch isn't completely wet.

Of course it's going to rain as today is the weekly grocery trek to town. Extra stops at the gas station for a fill-up with my 70¢/gal off fuel points, at Home Depot for a new gas can, at Sam's Club to have the nose piece on my reading glasses replaced, and the pharmacy for meds. If my wife comes along we may make other stops.

Yesterday's visit to the dermatologist went OK, no new cancerous spots found. He did is usual nitrogen freezing mainly on the backs of my hands. He hit a few small spots on the top of my head which reminded me that it's the time of year to resume wearing my hat when working outdoors.
After arriving home, I filled the Hummingbird feeders that I washed last week. No birds spotted yet, I don't know where they are in their migration, but they'll be here soon.
I did some minor pruning of the Hackberry trees along the front of the property; I cut the new low-hanging branches that swat me while mowing. I did that for as long as the two batteries held out in my little 6" hand-held chainsaw. That's been a real convenient tool since I got it last year.
IMG_3490 (2).JPG

Batteries last about 30 minutes each. Some of the branches got cut into firewood length on the spot, most of the remainder went to the brush pile for later processing. I normally don't just cut the tips, but cut back at the trunk of these trees, so I sometimes get 2.5"-3" diameter logs. Some of the rest will be kindling; most will be shredded and end up in the garden.
Garden maintenance was next, although not a whole lot was needed since I have been doing a little here and there every day.
Onion rows looking good.
IMG_1483.001.JPG

The row next to them contains newly sprouted Lettuce plants, Broccoli, and Spinach, all interplanted. Eventually the Broccoli provides some partial shade for the other greens.
Lettuce ready for picking some outer leaves. By just picking the larger outer leaves, I leave the crown to continue growing and providing very fresh lettuce until late May when it gets too warm for it.
IMG_1487.JPG

Those are Broccoli plants on either side of them. Spinach plants are a little farther behind but are doing good right now. Looks like a weed has evaded my gaze.
IMG_1486.JPG

That's a wild Sunflower which grow prolifically in the roadside ditches where I can't mow.
On the east side, the green pea bed is also growing quite well.
IMG_1488.JPG

Meanwhile out in the train shed, I continued assembly of the next storage shed. Added the windows/glass and assembled the walls.
IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

Did the dormer as well, and the rafter tails on the main roof over on the right.
IMG_1482.JPG

The metal roofing is already added but I didn't take a photo of that. Next up is adding the roof and then figuring the best position for the dormer.
While waiting for glue to dry, I also disassembled some new vehicles and sprayed the bodies with dull coat. Some will get drivers before reassembly.

David - Aren't most days there "wet and miserable"??? It would seem so upon reading your posts every day.
Prayers for Dawn's medical situation today at the hospital. I hope that it is the outcome that you two want.
Tom O - I only gave a two week notice at my place, they waited until three days prior to the last one before telling me to go home forever. I wasted no time. I only went back to my office to hit the button on my computer that erased the few remaining files in there. I already knew from my buddy in the IT department that they were not yet at the point of backing up all of the PC's, just the mainframe. It was enjoyable for 41.5 years, but in the last 18 months I had no responsibilities or duties Got kind of boring and they were in the process of moving to a new location which I didn't want any part of.
Whiskey vs Whisky - I don't care and won't get into that discussion since I don't drink it, or any other distilled spirits. My Dad was a salesman for a Liquor Distributor and we had that talk back in the '60's.

Everybody have a terrific Thursday.

Yes I do need the time off, just don't want to think about what happens when I get back.

TomO: I'm a little old to retire at 62, however the 65 number is sounding better, although full SS is still 4 years out.
I understand that.

I did retire at 62 and I took the SS just because I could. If a vacation doesn’t work out line up that resume. Supposedly lots of companies my HR/headhunter consultant SIL tells me are looking for IT/IS managers with work ethic. With all those plane building companies in your area, I’d bet you could do that!

I’ll take the deep breath for you in the hope you can relax a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back