Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Christmas Eve morning from So. Central Wisconsin. Almost as foggy as yesterday’s dense fog that lingered all day. High in the 50’s today and no snow coming until after the new year.

Yesterday the son and I moved the NCE wireless antenna around the trainroom. We found a satisfactory spot but we will research if it’s possible to add another. But overall I am happy and running 3 wireless NCE throttles was great with no issues. Not exactly sure though when we have more throttles running what will happen. Right I now I am very comfortable being able to run. 7 trains possible now with 3 NCE wireless throttles and 4 cell phones via WIFI.

Family and 2 couples (long time friends) only after 5pm this afternoon as we will celebrate Christmas Eve with dinner around 6:30 this evening. Beef tenderloin today will be grilled outside as the weather is so nice. Ravioli, lobster, a couple smoked chickens and all the trimmings will join the tenderloin as we will graze over dinner for a few hours. Grilled lobster is added every few years and Terry decided a couple days ago to add it. The fish monger had it on sale. They are in an Igloo cooler enjoying their last day before our feast. The only traditional food for us is the Raviolis. They are alway present on Christmas Eve and Day dinners. The others always change. No present openings tonight. The family will be here starting around noon when the Christmas Eve open house begins and can graze on foods, candies, bakeries and booze. We usually will get 50+ friends and employees (past and current) who will pop in for an hour or so. This has always been a fun day and with a great weather day I am expecting another.

Breakfast on Christmas Day is a neighborhood celebration get together at the daughter’s place as serving starts at 7. The grandkids will open presents from Santa around 6AM. Our presents to and from the family are opened around 1PM also at the daughter’s place. Dinner around 3-4 and can last forever.

enjoy the day

Swal - Kitchen turned out real well.
Now I'm down in the train room Willie and I just installed my first overhead light in part of the drop ceiling I'm installing, and it seems too bright. Not knowing much about the new lighting options. I'm glad I only bought one. You can dim this model by a 10v dimmer switch but that's too much trouble. I'm going to move this one light over to the darkest part of the basement and buy adjustable lumens' lights like I used in the kitchen.
Swal

Basements_lights_01.jpg

Good Morning All!

27F @ 81% and overcast. No white in forecast but it is cloudy and with the 27F temp those clouds look to be heavy. We will see.

Merry day before Christmas!

Pizza: Boy, besides Shakey's or Godfather's which there used to be a stores in Spokane, favorite is Domino's. Da Hut sux. It is amazing how fast you can get to a $50 pie with that place. Don't have a Domino's here so we have to wing it. Either make our own, or get the pre-made things outa the store. There is an outside pizza oven near the VFW of which seems to keep pretty busy; even in the cold. Might give that a try soon. We used to have 3 ma/pa pizza stores in town which were pretty good. The China Virus probably was their demise.

Hotdogs
: Anything that can be folded up in a slice of bread will work. Sometimes we run out of buns, so wing it time. I personally like relish, mayo, ketchup, mustard and cheese on them. Makes for a drippy thing but what the heck. My favorite is still from the truck stop dog rollers - either Italian or German sausage on a bun all by themselves ( Loves still the best, the other of the big 5 have not caught up yet ). There is a small TS just North of CDA on SR95 in Lancaster that has the same dogs as Loves but sometimes the bun age is questionable.

Nobody here tonight 'cept us. Tomorra is only 3 of us so everything it pretty much toned down. Tonight's dinner is BBQ port ribs, with Chicken Drummers, Mac&Cheese and some veggie. Tomorra is bone-in Rib Roast, spuds, green beans and bread which will amount to about 1.5" slices of meat that we just will have to eat.

Geesh, getting hungry just talking.

Later

Good Morning All. Right now it's cloudy and 60°, after a warm rain starting about 7:00 pm and fell all night long, more possibly on the way. I have 2.25" in the rain gauge from overnight, with 1.1" falling in a 15 minute period between 3:45 and 4:00 am. I got up for a bathroom break and wasn't able to fall asleep at 3:30 so I checked the gauge just before it hit. It will get a little warmer today and then a vicious cold front after sundown will blow the clouds away and drop the temperature tonight to near freezing.

Despite having to relocate yesterday's family Christmas get-together at the last minute, it went very well. Big crowd of 44, but not our family's record setter. Too much food as usual, although some appetizers disappeared really quickly; sausage/cheese balls, shrimp cocktail, pigs-in-a-blanket and wieners wrapped in bacon. There was three charcuterie plates and too much fruit salad, both leftover! Lots of other appetizers, slider sandwiches and desserts. My wife even filled a couple of to-go plates to take over to my other daughter's family, who couldn't make it. Meanwhile, my granddaughter seems to be getting better, the fever broke yesterday morning and she ate some food.

Tomorrow is my immediate family's now traditional Christmas brunch of Taylor Ham, waffles and Prosecco. That will be followed later in the evening with my son-in-law's prime rib roast dinner, cooked usually to perfection of slightly rare medium-rare. It will be accompanied with my wife's Yorkshire Pudding, daughter's green beans and creamed corn, and who knows what else. Seems like mac & cheese has worked its way into the mix recently. I did see the 8.5 lb roast in their fridge yesterday. Today is a rest in between day.

As expected, I did not see the inside of the train shed yesterday; I may get an hour or so today.
Here again from the archives is a mixed freight traveling southbound today. It is headed by a pair of ScaleTrains SD40-2's. This is the last southbound of the day, passing northbound trains on every passing siding along the way. ATSF did what they referred to as fleeting. That is they sent out 3-4 NB trains in succession from a yard and parked them on passing sidings along the way, while 3-4 SB trains from a yard further north traveled past them in the opposite direction while they waited. Once the last one passed the one parked furthest north, those parked trains started moving north one at a time. Then they would do it all over again. If I timed it right in a single train-watching session, I used to see 6 trains (3 NB & 3 SB) in 75 minutes or so, traveling between the Alliance Yard and the Gainesville Yard.
So here it is. Entering Charlottesville.
10-05-20 001.JPG

Passing the first intermodal.
10-05-20 002.JPG

10-05-20 003.JPG

Rounding the corner into Vernon. Doesn't appear that the second train made it this far.
10-05-20 005.JPG

10-05-20 006.JPG

There's that Drive-In Theatre again.
10-05-20 007.JPG

Meeting the next train, a mixed freight.
10-05-20 008.JPG

Rounding the corner entering Maultown.
10-05-20 009.JPG

Passing the third in line through Maultown.
10-05-20 010.JPG

Red splotch on the right is the roof of the local Dairy Queen.
10-05-20 011.JPG

Chris - Mike is right about the Athearn well cars being very light. I only run well cars with containers in them and I glue 14 American pennies in each one. That's about 35g or 1 1/4 oz in every container.
Louis - I have always disliked those plastic bags that retail establishments use. They're flimsy and many end up entangled in barbed-wire fences along the roads here in the country. In the city, I see them everywhere in public areas also. I guess that their only real use is picking up doggie waste in urban areas, not something that we fret over in the country.

Today of course, is the fourth Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve. For Louis and any other Motörhead fans, it would have been Lemmy Kilmister's 78th birthday today. Sadly, substances and poor health got in his way.

Merry Christmas Eve to all out there, and have a safe and happy holiday week.

Chris - Mike is right about the Athearn well cars being very light. I only run well cars with containers in them and I glue 14 American pennies in each one. That's about 35g or 1 1/4 oz in every container.
Willie The pennies are a great idea!, and be cheaper than the stick on weights. I don’t have much luck keeping them stuck for some reason.

Willie The pennies are a great idea!, and be cheaper than the stick on weights. I don’t have much luck keeping them stuck for some reason.
In the 90's when I first figured it, I could get 1 oz of weight for 10¢-11¢, depending on how worn the pennies were. At that time A-Line lead weights cost me about 75¢/oz. While they are no longer lead, they are almost twice as expensive now. I have 128 containers, so at 90's prices it is $18 vs $120 to weight the fleet. The $18 has not risen due to inflation but I do imagine that the $120 has. Add to that the cost of Gorilla Super Glue or Walther's Goo to attach them, which generally needs to be done to the stick-on weights as well.

Good morning, all and a Merry Christmas Eve. Like Willie, we had rain most of the night, a little over an inch. Happily, the forecast for Christmas day is to be mild and no rain. We will be having the entire family here starting about 11:00 AM till who knows. Does make for a long day.

Pizza - For me it's NY Style. We have 3 places nearby that make some really good pizza and calzones. I try to avoid franchise pizza.

I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the diner tomorrow, at least not during the day. So with that in mind I would like to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas.
1703438868191.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back