Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I stop supporting the Yankees. I did not like the fact that 3 Yankees choose not to speak with me back in 1955 but I still rooted for them up until about 10 years ago. My wife and I went to a Yankee game starting at 12:30 pm. It was lightly raining. The game was still in rain delay at 5pm which I decided we had enough, and we left. The game was now in rain delay 4 and 1/2 hours and they did not say anything over the intercom system in all that time. We got home around 6pm and the game was still in rain delay. The game finally got started at 730:pm. I called the Yankees and told them I wanted my $200.00 back because you can't put a game in rain delay for 7 hours. They told me they would give me 1/2 off on 2 $50.00 upper deck seats. I said, no thanks I just won't go to or watch another Yankee game. 2 years ago, one of my golf friends talked me into to watching them again but when they all took the knee in a preseason game I did the Elon Musk thing and haven't watch a game since.
Swal

Gee! Not a good experience at all.
I have never seen the Yankees play and probably never will (and not really bothered). My daughter and SiL used to live in Brooklyn and they sent me the decorations. We have got to put them on the tree. 🤣

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who watch youtube vids of crazy sh*te.

It's Troy again.

About to go make a donut and shopping run. The wife did another batch of art painting on the dining table this weekend that involved using a cake spinner (don't worry, I've got three layers of protection on it, and plastic on the walls around.) And she keeps asking me for colour advice.

Well, when we moved in, all of the lights with screw-in bulbs had been loaded with bright white daylight bulbs... which isn't what I want for evening use. I love me a good cool-white lights (slightly yellow).
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 7.58.26 AM.png
But, with the daylight coming in from the French doors next to the table, and the yellow overhead chandelier, I wasn't fond of how any of the colors looked.

I convinced her to redo the mostly black one. Too much negative space. And, we're upgrading paint colors to get her more vibrant ones soon.

BUT, I need daylight bulbs... I'm out. Been slowly using them up between the garage/outdoor lights, and over at Mom's place. I need to convert the dining area chandelier back to daylight so I can see the colors correctly.

yes, I'm getting the LED bulbs. No sense in paying more to run an old incandescent-style bulb when I don't have to.

As for videos, here's a good one. And a reminder to not leave anything in your car in a major metro area, especially in the holiday season.

It's Mark Rober, the NASA engineer turned video guy famous for Squirrel Obstacle Courses, and Fart Spray Glitter Bomb packages for porch pirates.

Well, we're almost there with the first Diner, the heavyweight. This car got an interior. I have to tell you, I'm not a big fan of interiors in brass cars. You end up with so much work on top of prepping, painting, lettering, and tuning that one gets tempted to install tinted windows and blinds and say "Done"! Some models start out with some of the work done for you though. This car already had a floor, and the partitions in place and a friend who likes interiors in cars persuaded me to do this one. He even gave me an interior, so how could I say no? It started simple and became quite the project. I cut up the interior and painted it, installed the people, which required dismembering the figures except for the kitchen and wait staff, let everything dry, and put the car back together, or so I thought...

First I had to do some trimming on the kitchen. Then I had to remove parts of the dining room furniture to clear mounting tabs, and one row of tables and chairs to clear an interior brace. I tried gluing that row to the top of the interior brace as shown in the photos so it would nest in, but this model was very finicky about clearances and fits, so no soap. It went together exactly a certain way and only that way, so that row got sacrificed.

It's back together now after much poking and prodding. I need to install couplers and diaphragms (which need to be painted first) a little touch up on the chassis and trucks, then a run test. I've gotten hooked on the Coach Yard diaphragms, which does not bode well for the wallet! They're worth it though. The come assembled, can survive handling, and are easy to install. Plus they give you a standard striker and a set of six additional stainless steel strikers to match any prototype you may have which can be Acc'd to the existing striker. Well worth the money! This was about a 50 F-Bomb project. Not too bad for tinkering with brass, but there are days when one wishes one had stuck to Accurail freight cars and not been bitten by the prototypical accuracy bug!!

IMG_4726A.jpg
IMG_4727A.jpg

IMG_4728A.jpg

As a little league baseball coach my goal was to make sure every player had fun, regardless of skill level. I did not tolerate bullying among the players. If you don't have something nice to say, say it to me in private. Everyone will be heard. I tried to promote a family atmosphere among my teams. Respect was my golden rule. Respect for others, yourself and the game of baseball. That said I did my level best to win every game.

Along the way I taught the fundamentals and coached them to play as a team. I understand what the coach was doing by rotating positions. A good idea for practice day. Game day you must put your players in a position to succeed. As coaches we owe it to our players to put them in a position to win. It can be challenging to teach every skill level, but it can be done. The idea is for all players to learn and improve.

In almost twenty years of coaching my teams won more than 70% of our games, not bad for baseball. When we lost, I took all the blame for not having them prepared to win. When they won, I gave all the credit to the players. Afterall it was the players who executed what they learned.

Losing builds character but winning is fun. Kids play sports to have fun first and foremost.
Lots of issues with what happened on the grandson’s team.

The kids definitely were not having fun. They were being spoken down to when they lost.

If they would be taught the positions first in practice then I don’t think the parents would have been having any issues with the coach. This though is also supposed to be an “elite” team and this coach was going against some of the mandates of the organization and getting paid.

My grandson when he came in the house last night said after the second loss on Saturday the Coach told the team that none of them were good enough to play at this level. A couple of the players he said then started crying. She then said a few things to them and made it worst. His parents standing there said they were unaware of that. He said coach says what happens or is said in the locker room stays in the locker room.

She had to go! Besides, you cannot fire the players! Where have we seen that written before?

MLB hasn't seen a talent like Ohtani since Babe Ruth. I only hope he can fully recover from the elbow injury and pitch again.
He is a talent but really has not pitched that much in a season in MLB. Supposedly never over 170 innings and still had elbow issues. As an hitter, oh yeah!

Owners of sports teams can never tell us they can’t afford to pay for talent. Funny though it seems that the Dodgers were bidding against themselves because Toronto (the other front running team for him) capped their bid at $480million! But with the lack of true professional sports writers we will never know the facts.

Morning all,

27° and clear this morning, high later of 55°. Bedroom mostly finished yesterday. We still have some things we need move in, but the upstairs is done. Only took me 9 months.

$700 million contract is one of the reasons I don't partake in professional sports any longer. none of them are worth what they are getting paid IMO.

Here's a sound for the season:

Cannot argue about any of this!

But they must be worth it as the owners keep shelling out the money. What did PT Barnum say…

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who watch youtube vids of crazy sh*te.

It's Troy again.

About to go make a donut and shopping run. The wife did another batch of art painting on the dining table this weekend that involved using a cake spinner (don't worry, I've got three layers of protection on it, and plastic on the walls around.) And she keeps asking me for colour advice.

Well, when we moved in, all of the lights with screw-in bulbs had been loaded with bright white daylight bulbs... which isn't what I want for evening use. I love me a good cool-white lights (slightly yellow).
View attachment 177917But, with the daylight coming in from the French doors next to the table, and the yellow overhead chandelier, I wasn't fond of how any of the colors looked.

I convinced her to redo the mostly black one. Too much negative space. And, we're upgrading paint colors to get her more vibrant ones soon.

BUT, I need daylight bulbs... I'm out. Been slowly using them up between the garage/outdoor lights, and over at Mom's place. I need to convert the dining area chandelier back to daylight so I can see the colors correctly.

yes, I'm getting the LED bulbs. No sense in paying more to run an old incandescent-style bulb when I don't have to.

As for videos, here's a good one. And a reminder to not leave anything in your car in a major metro area, especially in the holiday season.

It's Mark Rober, the NASA engineer turned video guy famous for Squirrel Obstacle Courses, and Fart Spray Glitter Bomb packages for porch pirates.
The entire house is lit by LED daylite bulbs. I love it but I also am told I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) so I need them in addition to my special wall of lights. The lights in the bedrooms thankfully can be dialed down

Hmm…
I just had another interesting experience online.
I finally got a revised bill from my doctor, and tried to pay the bill using my credit card. I entered the info, the website thought for a second or two, then—nothing. I tried agin, again, nothing. I thought it might be my browser, since it is infamous for protecting me to the point it is almost unusable. Again, entered info, hit ‘continue’, and nothing. No error messages, or anything to indicate anything. I finally, after 26 attempts across three browsers, gave up, and sent the doctor’s office a message, asking them if they were having a problem.
Then, a few minutes ago, my phone rang.
It was the credit card company, letting me know my attempts had been blocked because they suspected fraud. I guess people paying their medical bills is considered fraud somehow…
I wonder if the card company would have called me if I had only made one attempt, or just let me think there was a problem with the doctor’s office website.

Good Morning All. Clear and 33°, mid-60's later today. Wind is out of the SE at 0 mph. I'm not sure how they can determine that it is from the SE when it's 0 mph! I guess that's where the wind vane was facing when it stopped blowing.

As I posted yesterday, the Christmas tree is up and I had all of the lights on before lunch yesterday. Despite all of the prodding to get it up early, it remains without ornamentation which I am not allowed to do; with one exception, the Angel or star on the top...it varies from year to year.
IMG_1083.JPG

Yes, there are three sets of bubble lights which I dislike, but they're there to keep peace.

While waiting for my wife to assist in putting the fresh bed linens on last night, I did watch the last 5 minutes of the first half of the Dallas/Philadelphia NFL game last night. Watched Dallas outscore Philly 14-3 in just 5 minutes. I went to bed anyway but I was sure that it would be a Cowboy win.

Computers - I had the opportunity to join the Computer Club at my high school back in 1965. I chose not to since they met after school instead of during study hall. They also had to travel to downtown Dallas to work on a computer as big as a two-car garage that IBM made available for similar-minded beginners. Fifteen years later, all six club members were multi-millionaires from the computer related companies that they each had founded.

Limited time out in the train shed yesterday, which is typical for Sundays. Worked on the Beverly Hillbillies truck. It's getting close. I'm guessing on some of the colors, but I don't think that it will make any difference.
IMG_1080.JPG

What appears to be missed paint spots in various places is really the light shining off the model. That will go away after I dull coat it upon completion.
IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

The runners on the rocking chair were a real pain, but I only got over-paint in one spot. Now I need to remember which paint I used to paint the underlying boards.
IMG_1079.JPG

The interior was a little easier than expected when I removed the steering wheel, inadvertently of course. Now I have to figure out how I am going to reattach it.
What's left? The wheel rims/hubs, the milk can, bands around the barrels, a couple of boxes, and a pair of kerosene lanterns. And of course the steering wheel. The truck never had a windshield, so I don't have to worry about that.

Terry - We never had bubble lights when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's, so my first experience was after I got married. I just don't like them. We have 7 sets of them all from the 80's, but I refuse to put more than three on the tree at a time. I don't know if they are the poisonous liquid types or not. I never broke one.
Mac - Nice looking steamer pictures that you posted yesterday.
Chad -
Were there any parts left over last spring? 🤣
Not to my knowledge, as he did all the work in his shop. It ran well all spring, I started it about two months ago just to check and it ran OK. Friday, I couldn't start it with either the electric starter or the pull cord. I am not at all adept at small gasoline engines.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from a very overcast morning in Wisconsin. It is 23f degrees and with no breeze it feels like 23. High today is guessed at being 36 but I fly to California this afternoon. Pebble Beach while cool at 56 for California will feel super to me. 3 days of golf starts tomorrow

enjoy the day

Hmm…
I finally got a revised bill from my doctor, and tried to pay the bill using my credit card. I entered the info, the website thought for a second or two, then—nothing. I tried agin, again, nothing. I thought it might be my browser, since it is infamous for protecting me to the point it is almost unusable. Again, entered info, hit ‘continue’, and nothing. No error messages, or anything to indicate anything. I finally, after 26 attempts across three browsers, gave up, and sent the doctor’s office a message, asking them if they were having a problem.
It was the credit card company, letting me know my attempts had been blocked because they suspected fraud. I guess people paying their medical bills is considered fraud somehow…
I wonder if the card company would have called me if I had only made one attempt, or just let me think there was a problem with the doctor’s office website.
I’m not sure my credit card company would have called. They do send messages questioning purchases.

Last Thursday, Terry and I ate at Ruth Chris’s steakhouse to use up gift certificates from last Christmas. Got the bill with the server making sure I knew the original cost of the meal before she applied the certificates. I figured a nice 30% tip as the service was beyond excellent. In the car I told Terry, that the credit card company would be questioning the tip because after the certificates were used the bill was less then $40 and the tip was a lot more than that! Sunday afternoon Terry told me she just got a notice from the credit card company checking about the tip! It’s a Capital One Master card that I have been very happy with for many years now. Much easier to use than the American Express cards I had until retirement that not every place accepts

Hmm…
It's less a matter of paying medical bills than your pattern of activity. If you typically don't pay medical bills with that card, and all of the sudden you do, and especially if it's a decent amount, you can trip the safeguards. They know what you do with it, and watch for differences. I have a credit card where I have to call and tell them I'm traveling or they bounce out of state purchases. Fraud has gotten so pervasive that they're taking lots of precautions these days! they did call you, which is a good thing.

It's less a matter of paying medical bills than your pattern of activity. If you typically don't pay medical bills with that card, and all of the sudden you do, and especially if it's a decent amount, you can trip the safeguards. They know what you do with it, and watch for differences. I have a credit card where I have to call and tell them I'm traveling or they bounce out of state purchases. Fraud has gotten so pervasive that they're taking lots of precautions these days! they did call you, which is a good thing.
The problems are, first, the amount was less than $150, second, it never let me get to that point. It blocked me even entering the card as a payment method. It wasn’t even a “preauthorization”. Just adding the card. This is a reason there is credit card fraud, many people get frustrated by not being able to perform the most mundane task without “fraud prevention” blocking it, then go in and turn off all the safeguards meant to protect them.

Good morning gang!

38° and sunny, with a high of 42° predicated. Yesterdays deluge finally stopped as snow early this morning, we got maybe 2 inches, but it was enough to make schools 2 hours late. It was nice to not have to dodge busses this morning.

The little dog didn't know what the white stuff was, she's never seen it. The Border Collie got the zoomies running laps around the yard and sliding in it!

700 million over 10 years? Ridiculous bordering on the obscene! He's playing a game after all. There has only been1 person who is worth that kind of money, we've never met him, but we read his book, and hope to meet him someday.

Not that I really care about MLB at all, but at least it wasn't the Yankees. Had hoped the Red Sox might land him but had no real expectations (nor actual caring about it -- my wife is more a fan, and of him, and whatever team he is on).
I'm glad my team (Chicago Cubs) didn't seriously go after him as well. We have all seen how these mega contracts can affect a team in the latter years when they don't perform as expected and they have to carry that contract on the books.

Today we went to see the school Nativity Play with our youngest grandson appearing. Everyone played a good part, but Nativity plays these days are deviating so much from of old. Our oldest grandson was part of the lighting and sound crew.

Another Nativity Play tomorrow. Our younger granddaughter is appearing.

Today we went to see the school Nativity Play with our youngest grandson appearing. Everyone played a good part, but Nativity plays these days are deviating so much from of old. Our oldest grandson was part of the lighting and sound crew.

Another Nativity Play tomorrow. Our younger granddaughter is appearing.
I always enjoyed the school Christmas programs. Especially the younger ones. They went up there and were so enthusiastic about it.

My daughter has hers Friday night. Shes in 7th grade. At this stage, the older ones have lost that desire to take part, and it's not cool anymore to even be there.

So, I expect a lackluster performance. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back