Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had 1\2" at 2:30p, then the bulk hit. Currently at 4" and more to come. At least the wind is somewhat calm, so no drifting occurring. Coming down pretty heavy, but supposed to be done by midnight.
Your snow, our rain. Not yet measurable in my gauge but the Weather Underground station around the corner shows 0.07", but the bulk is yet to come. Wind will shift from the north in about 6-8 more hours and it will become cold and wet. Temperatures might hit freezing by morning, might not. My concern is my wife, while she has made it to Dallas to spend the night, she'll be coming home tomorrow. Not sure if the roads will ice over or not. The wind could dry them off before the freezing point is reached if it gets that low.

It is getting close to the holidays and I finally have a couple close to trains and Christmas pics. Drove down to one of our favourite garden centres today to pick up our Christmas wreathes and drop off our empty hanging baskets that we will pick up in the spring. Among the wreathes and holiday related nicnac’s I saw something that I will build for under my tree for next year or for on my fireplace mantle.

View attachment 177299

Annapolis Royal is across the river from Port Royal (the first European settlement in North America north of St Augustine, Florida). We had lunch there today and I had to get a shot of the abandoned train bridge in the area (one of my favourites). Second was a neat pic outside the restaurant where we had lunch today.

View attachment 177300

thought this was neat where we had snow this morning

View attachment 177301
Gary the bridges were taking out of service when?

I momentarily invoke "Proud Uncle Bragging Rights," aka "why I'll be buying most of my MRR building supplies from Home Depot from now on."

-------------
Some may remember both my nephew and one of my two nieces are currently applying to medical schools. Both accepted to several schools--both into UVA on the same day, etc.--already but the acceptance process overall is slow...

My nephew's interview at Yale went "really well." With his credentials, I'll be shocked if they don't accept him, he's that much a star.

That said, and unless daddy is "Daddy Warbucks"--his isn't--most will also apply to NYU Med School. NYU alone offers free tuition for three years, just invaluable to a student who might otherwise come out of med school with student loans nearing an average today of just under $200K. Any med school graduate, by the time they finish residency, is still three years further behind the curve with regard to other post-graduate students: PhD's, JD's, and with regard to the rest of life: Three years behind if getting married, starting a family, buying a new home...putting money into your 401K.... Which is just part of why the US is projected to be some 70K short of doctors twenty years from now.

So Kenneth Langone, and his wife Elaine have donated well over $200 million so that all future NYU med school students will receive free tuition for three years, now and in perpetuity. Langone is one of the co-founders of the major US building center chain "Home Depot." And there lies the connection.

My nephew has a lot of things going against him, the chief of which is that he's a white male. He's just one of the us, the veritable scourge of humanity, as it were. I know I am, anyway--"these are my pants, so I must be me"....

But, and despite all that, NYU med just offered him an invite! This is HUGE for a family trying to finance not just one, but two offspring through medical school. It's a game-changer, as now they can probably finance both. Neither one will come out of it with huge student loans. Just huge. It's the kind of thing that puts a family/extended family...one rapidly dwindling in numbers (and ours is)... back onto a possible path of recovery.

----

In the end, it'll be a real bargain for NYU too. My nephew wants to go into pediatric oncology, and possibly oncology research.

He has all the chops for it, and research is probably the easier path of the two. A pediatric oncologist, like those who work for St. Jude, have to deal with the knowledge that they will lose one-in-five or more young patients who come to them for help.

The emotional toll it takes on the care providers is something few appreciate. If he does go down that path, he'll be attending a lot of funerals for a lot of young people taken all too soon. As mentally tough and focused as he is, I'm not sure even he could handle it for long.

But if he contributes in any way to finally defeating that awful enemy--cancer--it'll be enough.

Anyway...thanks for the time, guys and gals. It's been a good weekend so far.... ;D

Last edited:
Good morning. It;s cloudy and 65.
Terry: You might give Thunderbird a look. Multiple user/domains in one session if needed. Back in the early 90's I ran with with OE as it came with windoz. Outlook was a Micro$oft Office piece. Ya, went with a couple of 3rd party email clients before OE; 1st was Pine ( then PC Pine ), Mailbird, Eudora, Forte Agent and others of which I don't even remember their names. I found Thunderbird; both POP and IMAP. Have been using that since 2004ish on my desktop(s), both Linux and those that still are windoz based. I pretty much use POP3 protocol as it is fast and I happen to be sitting on my own SMTP server in the basement so I don't need all that security. If I am away, Roundcube Webmail is my goto, and I don't have to worry about the POP handshake or outgoing SMTP server.

In my humble view, M$ is gonna get worse. They want everybody to do it their way; no more have it your way. Sooner or later if you do not follow what they want, quick little windoz update and your machine is toast. Have a couple of programs that are windoz based only, Microchip ( Atmel ) Studio is one and if that gets ported to Linux, then I will not use Windoz at all. Yes, MPLAB ( Microchip ) can be Linux based, but I am not used to that yet so I stick with Studio so far.

Later

Good Morning All!

25F @ 81% and dark. Looks to be overcast.

Yesterdays shifted T-Day went well. I think that I went to the store 3 times for Maria. Did find a deal on Dungi Crab - $4.99 Lb or about 5 bucks a crab. Got 4 for our usual New Years crab feast, got 4 more after I thought about for a later date. Grazed for a couple hours before really getting serious. Then they rolled me into the recliner of which I immediately napped for a bit.

Today is Sushi day; have fresh salmon, tuna and shrimp for those that indulge ( friend Jerry and I ), will lightly cook for others. Other normal stuff, green onion tops, sprouts, avocado, celery and of course Nori and sticky rice. Last time I made my self 3 rolls - yet another trip to the recliner.

Wish me luck!

Later

Morning all,

We had 6.5" of the white stuff by the time it quit overnight. Now waiting for it to get a bit lighter out before I fire up the snow machine and clear the driveway and sidewalks. No drifting as the wind was down. Still nearly calm winds. Supposed to get to 36° today. Warm ground temps will help melt this. Supposed to be back in the 50's by the middle of the week.

Bbl

Terry: You might give Thunderbird a look. Multiple user/domains in one session if needed. Back in the early 90's I ran with with OE as it came with windoz. Outlook was a Micro$oft Office piece. Ya, went with a couple of 3rd party email clients before OE; 1st was Pine ( then PC Pine ), Mailbird, Eudora, Forte Agent and others of which I don't even remember their names. I found Thunderbird; both POP and IMAP. Have been using that since 2004ish on my desktop(s), both Linux and those that still are windoz based. I pretty much use POP3 protocol as it is fast and I happen to be sitting on my own SMTP server in the basement so I don't need all that security. If I am away, Roundcube Webmail is my goto, and I don't have to worry about the POP handshake or outgoing SMTP server.

In my humble view, M$ is gonna get worse. They want everybody to do it their way; no more have it your way. Sooner or later if you do not follow what they want, quick little windoz update and your machine is toast. Have a couple of programs that are windoz based only, Microchip ( Atmel ) Studio is one and if that gets ported to Linux, then I will not use Windoz at all. Yes, MPLAB ( Microchip ) can be Linux based, but I am not used to that yet so I stick with Studio so far.

Later
Todd, I found Bluemail, which seems to be close to what Windows Mail was. I've added all my accounts to it, other than my AT&T account (which is only a leftover anyway) and my Apple account. The Apple account doesn't work on anything other than an Apple product, so I wasn't expecting it to work.
It's interesting that Apple feels Microsoft has inferior security, so they won't allow their mail to go there. And Microsoft feels Apple has inferior security, and doesn't want it to work, either. I'm sure it's really about keeping our info secure, and nothing at all to do with $$$....:rolleyes:

I found, after only a little searching, the new Outlook that MS is force-feeding us, is ad-based (read $$$ for MS), so once again, follow the money.

Nope, JOE! The SP's were parked/gone from the scene by the time that seniority permitted me to advance to the 74's in the mid 80's. I cannot even remember why the airline did not want to keep them.
That is a gorgeous photo ... have to keep that one - thanks!
I used to live in Island Park, in Nassau County almost directly under one of approach lanes to JFK. Saw TWA Jumbos all the time as that was one of their major airports. For me one of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed.

Todd, I found Bluemail, which seems to be close to what Windows Mail was. I've added all my accounts to it, other than my AT&T account (which is only a leftover anyway) and my Apple account. The Apple account doesn't work on anything other than an Apple product, so I wasn't expecting it to work.
It's interesting that Apple feels Microsoft has inferior security, so they won't allow their mail to go there. And Microsoft feels Apple has inferior security, and doesn't want it to work, either. I'm sure it's really about keeping our info secure, and nothing at all to do with $$$....:rolleyes:

I found, after only a little searching, the new Outlook that MS is force-feeding us, is ad-based (read $$$ for MS), so once again, follow the money.
Geesh, are you saying that if an Apple mail server has outgoing ( SMTP ) mail for Micro$oft's Outlook cloud, the mail does not get transferred and visa-versa? I have never played with any Apple server, nor have I ever seen one. Boy, if this is the case, there is gonna be a *ton* of PO'd people and both are shooting themselves in the foot. Using Windoz and security in the same sentence is probably out there anywho, don't know about Apple. Probably good for Open Source, hmmm?

Later

Yeah I have a dongle I bought that has a phone app -- like $20 total -- that reads and clears codes.

Wife's 2019 Jetta needed a new battery. The correct one needs to be used as well as the ECU is programmed to charge and all that at set rates and if you deviate you need the dealer to reprogram that part. Supposedly. Anyway, I needed it asap so the wife could drive her car to work and not take mine so I went to Autozone, bought the one their website said was correct (and it had all the same codes and stuff and very similar capacity but was not OEM) and I went home and put it in. It took a few miles of driving for the computer to reset itself and it's been working great since. Supposedly you're supposed to have the dealer reset it anyway based on both what the Autozone drone said and what I read online but I didn't do that and it's been working great.

I fear the day the 12V in my Audi A3 e-tron needs to be replaced. It's been 7 years and still working fine but I've read online how you have to disassemble the trunk to get to it. This car is a PHEV (plug in hybrid EV) and has a small high voltage battery that it runs on -- 20-24 miles when new and probably 15-20 now after 7 years) plus the gas engine (Audi's variant of the 1.4 turbo from VW) and it has a 12V for aux purposes and the system keeps that battery managed and charged through the high voltage battery system. The car's been great but I am not looking forward to having to replace the 12V. I hope to drive it at least another 7 years.
And this is why i'd stay away from electric and hybrids. Too much complications. Being a VW guy (mostly) i like the handling and ease of driving experience, but the more electronics-the more frustrations. Have a 2019 Alltrack stick shift and besides few minor issues (seatbelt buckle going bad) it's been a great car.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 34°, might get colder before it warms up a slight bit. The predicted rain event was pretty much a non-event. I'm showing 0.15" in my gauge, Weather Underground station nearby shows 0.17". That front is now well to the east over Arkansas and Louisiana. Cooler temperatures until Tuesday when it returns to the low-60's.

Not a lot going on here today, as I prepare for my wife to arrive back home after nine days away. Other than vacuuming up dog hair, the house is in good shape, as I didn't do any inside projects to make a mess. Kitchen sink is empty and all laundry was done Friday. I have run the new robotic vacuum cleaner, but it runs randomly throughout the house. The controls are actually a phone app on her phone and there is no infrared barrier thing like the old one had. And no, she doesn't have it programed correctly to run it remotely yet anyway.

For some reason, I am not getting as much time out in the train shed as I would like lately. Could it be the shorter days??? Much of yesterday was spent on infrastructure, changed some light bulbs and continued extending my lighting buss another 25' or so. That included connections to three different barrier strips that already have some connections to individual structure lights. Other structures got tied into the system. I am not sure that this isn't a futile effort, since I never run trains in the dark!
Here are a few pictures from the archives that I have been filing lately.
IMG_7131.JPG
IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_7142.JPG

Sherrel - Kate isn't the only one who prepares too much food for holidays. I am both a perpetrator and a victim, as is Arlene and just about anyone else in my family. But I learned years ago to steer clear of desserts, no matter how good they may look and taste. Otherwise I would weigh 300 lbs.
Troy - Acid reflux is no fun, but I am well aware of what triggers it in me; so I always prepare by taking two Tums immediately after having the Marinara Sauce at my local Italian restaurant. There's something in it that triggers the reflux, as my homemade Marinara Sauce doesn't bother me at all. I believe that it is the acid level in the commercial tomatoes that are used. They don't make it in-house, but buy large containers of pre-made sauce. Nothing else bothers me.
Mike - We missed all of that "Elf on the Shelf" stuff, as my kids were all gone away to college and marriage at the time. My exposure was limited to grandkids and sometimes to the third generation kids of my nieces and nephews.
Karl - I like dogs and cats even more, but at this stage in life, we have chosen to be dependent-free in case of any misfortunes, like unexpected hospitalizations.

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Cold weekend, but mostly sunny and nice. Went to friends house for Thanksgiving dinner-huge rack of ribs instead of the bird. Before that drove over to Perryville,MD to catch some action. On the way there stopped over at Country Farms to get some fried chicken-they do good job on those. Got in the car, turned the key-klick klick klick, WTF? Parking lot was on a slope so i popped the clutch. I figured no train watching and better start heading home as i don't know what's going on. As i'm driving the water temp gauge is going down, which means the vehicle is running off the battery and it's about to shut off. Pulled over at the nearby gas station. Thinking i had this issue before i popped the hood and immediately notised that the blue wire to voltage regulator broke off the clip at the alternator. Removed the clip, stuck the wire in a tiny hole in male end of the alternator and shoved the clip tight over that. Vehicle started charging and all was good...those old machines😃 (1991 VW Jetta). Turned around back to Perryville and got few trophies:
IMG_20231123_104840901.jpg

Next view is of Port Road Branch looking toward Columbia, above is former B&O:
IMG_20231123_111624752.jpg

Yesterday went over to Harrisburg, same thing, nice weather and no need to be sitting at home. On the way back stopped over at this secluded place on Main Line where former Pennsy Lebanon Branch splits from Main Line. East bound Keystone is heading toward Philly:
IMG_20231125_141028860.jpg

The switch for Lebanon Branch is just visible in front of the Sprinter. Few minutes later a west bound Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh showed up:
IMG_20231125_141513324.jpg

Golden/brown fall nicely contrasts with silver, blue and red Amtrak consist.

Geesh, are you saying that if an Apple mail server has outgoing ( SMTP ) mail for Micro$oft's Outlook cloud, the mail does not get transferred and visa-versa? I have never played with any Apple server, nor have I ever seen one. Boy, if this is the case, there is gonna be a *ton* of PO'd people and both are shooting themselves in the foot. Using Windoz and security in the same sentence is probably out there anywho, don't know about Apple. Probably good for Open Source, hmmm?

Later
I forget exactly when it was, but I think it was about the time Apple decided to go for MFA. I used to have my Apple email on my Windows Mail app, but Apple blocked it unless I started using MFA and a couple of other "security features" to make sure Windows was secure enough to deign to allow me to use it to read my Spam from my Apple email. I believe in reasonable security, but I am getting tired of everything being locked down so tight you can't wipe your tucas without getting a security code texted to your toilet paper dispenser...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back