Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Been in for an hour and already had several things left from last night. Those are dealt with.

Been lucky with the wife handling the money. Started early on as she always had more that I did, although she was making more. I will say I didn't handle money as well as she did, although I think that has changed in the over 40 years we've been married. She still handles the bills. Funny thing is that our "emergency" fund is gone since we had the flooring put in. They always say to have an emergency fund so you can cover bills for a couple of months. She has the bills covered until the first of June, so I'm not worried about the "emergency" fund.

BBL

Morning all,

Been in for an hour and already had several things left from last night. Those are dealt with.

Been lucky with the wife handling the money. Started early on as she always had more that I did, although she was making more. I will say I didn't handle money as well as she did, although I think that has changed in the over 40 years we've been married. She still handles the bills. Funny thing is that our "emergency" fund is gone since we had the flooring put in. They always say to have an emergency fund so you can cover bills for a couple of months. She has the bills covered until the first of June, so I'm not worried about the "emergency" fund.

BBL
I still am a huge advocate of the emergency fund that over the years we needed to use twice. I stressed very hard to both our kids how important that funding is. 6 months worth of normal living expenses sitting in a very accessible financial savings. Ours now is in a market fund that we can have fully within 72 hours of request.

So many of the staff at work had no trouble thinking if they needed funds that remortgaging or borrowing from the 401 plan was the way to go. How costly that must have been?

Good evening. I escaped jail for now, though I'm sure the branch manager has a "wanted: dead or alive" poster with my picture on it.
The only remaining account I have with that credit union is my car loan, and it's getting moved to another credit union. They STILL can't answer why they are still taking money out of my other bank account, other than to tell me if it continues more than another 60 days, they'll look into it further.
And that's when the shouting started.
I think the object is to have good men in jail.

Good Morning All. Foggy and 50°. That may delay the roofers an hour of two, as the roof is probably quite wet right now. They're supposed to start at 7:00. May not be an issue since they are removing the old roof and the older one underneath it first. I'll know soon. Otherwise, it will be a good day for them, while cloudy this morning, it will give way to the sun soon, and there is no wind predicted today. I don't need any of them falling off the roof. I seriously doubt that they will be using safety lines since my roof isn't that steep. Interesting is that the company owner gave me his two top references, one being the fellow who owns the 5000± acres across the road, who also owns a lot of rent houses and I have known for years. The other is the realtor turned house-flipper who was the realtor who sold me this house 43 years ago. Both spoke highly of his work.

Weekly grocery trek is going to be tomorrow due to the roof work today. I dislike going on Friday, although Kroger offers 4x fuel points on Friday. Granddogs will arrive later today, around 6:00 pm for their vacation in the country. Wife leaves tomorrow for the Saturday trip to South Padre Island with the rest of the family for a Gulf Coast vacation. I'll be home alone with the two doggies. That's my vacation.

The fog and resultant dew is going to put a damper on outdoor stuff this morning for me. Too slippery to get a good foothold for the projects that I have in mind. Yesterday, I cut more of the stack of firewood, but only about 5 days worth. I have to deal with a lot of small branches to get to the real logs since it was all just piled there. That's taking some time.

Another slow day yesterday out in the train shed, progress made but again non-photogenic progress. Got the rest of the stuff back under the layout that I removed recently, I was able to consolidate some stuff and make more room. I did a little more work on the fence, it's slow, stretch it out, glue a little here, wait, stretch and glue a little there, wait and so on.
How about something a little different this morning, a few of my favorites from the late Garry Boyd's layout. I have these saved in my "Inspiration" folder in the computer.
proxy1.jpg

proxy5.jpg

index3.jpg

proxy6.jpg
proxy8.jpg
proxy9.jpg
proxy10.jpg

Bill T - Love that picture of the diner.
Sherrel - Can't take a shotgun to the phone because I'm too frugal to buy another one. I have seriously thought about donating a dollar just to see if anything comes of it. I'm real sure that they won't take questions though.
As you already know, I like to add small details to scenes to make them stand out. I'm not sure why concrete blocks would be at an oil distributor, but I have had several positive comments about them.
Bob - Nice progress on the hopper. Looking forward to the rest.
Hughie - I like what you did to Earl's. I really like to be able to compare what others have done with the same kits that I have done.
Louis - I have made homemade sauerkraut before. It wasn't all that difficult and the taste was very good, but it required a lot of attention several times a day over a 4-6 week period of constant temperatures. I now buy Boar's Head brand.
I can also spot the grocery carts with the bad wheels, they're the ones that are randomly shoved aside in the cart storage area!
Mikey - Knee pads were a life-saver after I reached age 50 or so. They're part of the reason that my knees are still in reasonably good shape.
Moermusic - I'm so glad that I only need 1 cord a year that I have to process. I also don't have to do much splitting, maybe a dozen logs a season, since I can burn up to 10"-12" diameter logs easily in the heater.
Curt - I missed visiting with Garry. We were planning a side trip to his house when we passed through Nashville on the way to my wife's sister's place in Eastern Tennessee, but our trip got called off during the height of the China Virus scare in 2020-2021.
Patrick - So if you're in charge, just give yourself a raise.

Roofers showed up about 7:30, they've unloaded the shingles from the trailer that they're throwing the old roof into. There's 6 of them up there right now making noise, although not too bad.

Everyone have a great day.

Good evening. I escaped jail for now, though I'm sure the branch manager has a "wanted: dead or alive" poster with my picture on it.
The only remaining account I have with that credit union is my car loan, and it's getting moved to another credit union. They STILL can't answer why they are still taking money out of my other bank account, other than to tell me if it continues more than another 60 days, they'll look into it further.
And that's when the shouting started.
I'd be filing a police report for theft. And filing a report with your state's banking / credit union oversight office / regulator office as you revoked their authorization to pull the money. Also file a complaint with the bank they took the money from. They can force reverse it. You revoked their authorization yet they still did it.

I assume you got the money back though?

I still am a huge advocate of the emergency fund that over the years we needed to use twice. I stressed very hard to both our kids how important that funding is. 6 months worth of normal living expenses sitting in a very accessible financial savings. Ours now is in a market fund that we can have fully within 72 hours of request.

So many of the staff at work had no trouble thinking if they needed funds that remortgaging or borrowing from the 401 plan was the way to go. How costly that must have been?
Thats great you educated your kids on the importance of money, so many parents don't. It's that taboo subject that's not talked about.

Why isn't this a mandatory class in High School? I worked with so many people over the years that didn't even put 3% in to get the match.

I was lucky, my parents preached this to us kids. My Father gave me great advice when I graduated from Tech school. He said start putting money into your 401K instantly, and every raise bump it up by half the raise. You will never miss that money because you never had it in the first place. Boy has that advice paid dividends. He also said compound interest is a beautiful thing.

Nice pics of GARRY's layout! I should have saved many pics too, but just never got around too it.
I had planned to visit GARRY when we made the trip to N.C. and TERRY as well, but MOH wanted to get to Jacksonville asap as the kids would have the weekend off for our visit. I thought that I would take the Northern way back, but MOH, again, wanted to head South to Florida and Gulf Coast and I wanted to visit with cousins in Louisiana and Texas.

WILLIE - I hope that you saved one of GARRY's that showed that Burlington train crossing the BIG bridge/trestle? Do you have to remove one set of shingles -- or two? I know that some folks roof over the old roof?

I'd be filing a police report for theft. And filing a report with your state's banking / credit union oversight office / regulator office as you revoked their authorization to pull the money. Also file a complaint with the bank they took the money from. They can force reverse it. You revoked their authorization yet they still did it.

I assume you got the money back though?
I fully intend to take further action, after the last account has been removed, and there is no chance of retaliatory action from them.

Sherrel: In our town of less than 3,000 residents , the grade, and high schools are two separate districts. We are paying two Superintendents. Our Superintendent bill is probably close if not higher than that 332K salary.

But the Schools always cry for more money!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have just about come to the end of my rope! Stop the carouse, I am ready to depart this ride!

Mikey - Knee pads were a life-saver after I reached age 50 or so. They're part of the reason that my knees are still in reasonably good shape.
Willy- Normally, I would have had the knee pads on the first day.
Due to the use of regular sheet metal screws, it took me10 t0 15 minutes to install each of 8 aluminum metal strips for a total of 1-1/2 hours on my knees on a piece of carpet as a pad. A phone call to my SIL got the knee pads back for Tuesday AND I bought some self tapping screws. It only took 30 minutes to finish 9 strips on Tuesday with the knee pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back