Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earl's must be a franchise company. 🥸🥸
1700066564127.png

I haven't had any alcohol for over a year...might get some for Thanksgiving, when the family is here.

View attachment 176868Best Yuengling makes...Second preference Yuengling Premium...Coal Craker Beer at its Finest!

They can keep the seasonal Hershey Chocolate Flavored Porter - what a travesty!
I like Yuengling's regular Lager. I always bought a case for our 4th of July parties. We always had a variety of beer for our 4th of July parties. National Boh, Yuengling, Budweiser and Miller were staples. I would buy two or three cases of other beers just to have variety. My son-in-law always brought some kind of craft beer. IPA's usually, whatever they are. IPAs are surprisingly good.

I never tried the Lord Chesterfield Ale. I'm not a fan of Ales, but that looks good!

Louis- It's Guinness time! I'm not a snob but for some reason Bud products always give me a headache.
It's not being a snob to drink what you like.

Three of my four grandparents were 100% Irish, but I don't like Guinness for some reason. My other grandfather was 100% German. I like lager beers the best. I doubt my lineage has anything to do with it. We like what we like. Although my Hungarian wife thinks I'm 100% German. I say I'm 100% American! Germans and the Irish have a lot in common, alcohol, potatoes, and cabbage, to name a few. Those are three of my favorite things!

My Mom's mother made homemade sauerkraut from cabbage. My Mom told me her German father asked her Mom to put apples in the saurkraut. I'm told my grandmother refused telling her husband "I'm not ruining the saurkraut with apples"

I don't want no fruit in my sauerkraut or beer! My Mom and her sister, my Godmother both said I not only look like my grandmother I also have her attitude. ;)

Budweiser is a unique lager. The recipe includes as much as 30% rice. I read that Adulphus Busch bought a beer recipe for the equivalent of $100 that used rice in the brew from a small tavern/brewery owner north of the Buda section of Budapest Hungary while traveling through the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When he came back to the states that recipe inspired the creation of Budweiser. It could be the rice in the brew that gives you a headache.

I would be more than happy to sit down with you and buy you a Guinness!

I almost forgot, today is the second anniversary of the passing of our beloved member Garry Boyd, GarryCBQ.
Here is a picture of the chapel car that he posted whenever another member passed on.View attachment 176890

RIP Garry.
Here is his obituary.
Thank you, Willie!

Do you have a photo of Garry's Lionel trains he ran under his Christmas tree? I searched the forum but did not find one.

. I also learned the hard way not to trust women with finances.
I must be another of the lucky ones. When my wife and I got married, she took over most everything. I said you can have it, and I won't worry about money till you tell me too. In 17+ years of marriage I haven't worried about money. I hand her a stack of receipts at the end of the week. Have to get receipts, she does something called fetch, or something like that.

She also has her MBA, so it was a logical choice to let her do it.

Not necessarily always the case. We always shared money management until my wife decided to take over in the mid-90's. She does very well and while I can manage to do it, I welcomed the relief. I still manage the investment portfolio and major expenses, but she manages the day to day activities like credit card (only one), checking, moving money between accounts, bill paying, as well as the money market and CD activity. My only complaints are Christmas shopping and Amazon.

My wife handles our finances. She's a numbers wonk, and very money oriented. She's in medical, so has always made more than me. We decided early on after having our daughter, that I'd be the stay-at-home parent (running a side-hustle wedding photo biz for mad money). When I had the business I spent money to hire a freelance bookkeeper so I didn't screw it up.

Same with the author biz. I try to keep it so I only have to fill out sales tax once a year, and I can do that and all of my P&L bookkeeping in about three days scattered throughout the year. Immediately after the bookkeeping days, I take a long hot shower, and have several glasses of whisky to purge the maths from my soul before it stains my brain.

I just received a text message from Joe Biden, asking me to donate money, and enter a drawing to "Have a cup of joe with Joe and Kamala"; including flights and hotel. Of course it's directed to Tina, who had my cell phone number over ten years ago. It's from the same phone number that Beto O'Rourke used to use.

Everybody have a wonderful Wednesday.

Toss him a buck. If you win, I'll go in your place. My journalism hat is itching to get put back on and I'd love to interview the POTUS and VPOTUS.

Wife and I have had to agree to send no money to political organizations/candidates. She still listens to the brainwashing podcasts, and we avoid the subject at all times, lest one of us starts sleeping on the couch.

Speaking of taxes. I underestimated my 2022 taxes when I filed an extension in April. I forgot the amount, under $200. I paid the difference in October. This week I received the bill for the fees and interest, balance due $7.58! I was so relieved when I opened the mail. I hate getting mail from the IRS. If you know me, I seldom ever use the word hate.

Mark that paid, thank you IRS! Please don't contact me anymore.

Good Morning All. It's clear and 49° here this morning.

The roofer brought out the color samples for the shingles for my wife to look at yesterday. He only brought two, so it wasn't a hard choice. He'll pick them up today and leave them here and his crew will be over at the crack of dawn tomorrow to start the process. Wife has doubts that they will finish in one day as he promised. As I posted yesterday, me and a buddy put the current roof on in two days. So I asked him in her presence "How big is your crew?"; he responded that it would be 11-12. That should do it. That big a crew should finish in 8 hours or less, but I am sure that they will stretch it a bit for the overtime. Doesn't matter to me as I am paying a fixed price anyway.
I'll be working in the yard most of the day, not so much to keep an eye on them, but just to see how efficient they are. My manufacturing management background has not diminished since retirement.

A couple of outdoor projects yesterday since the weather is so nice here. I shredded brush for a while in the morning, and I spent 45 minutes with the chainsaw in the afternoon on that large pile of trees that I have posted about. 45 minutes is one tank of chain lubricating oil and that's my timer so I can pace myself. The yield was one week's worth of firewood, mixed kindling and logs. More of the same today as I continue to catch up from the summer of inactivity due to the heat.

Another slow (it seems) day out in the train shed yesterday,, although I did run a few trains around. Did a few small tasks but they don't warrant pictures.
So here are a few more from the archives. This is Earl's Oil, a kit from Bar Mills.
View attachment 176878
View attachment 176879
View attachment 176880
View attachment 176881
View attachment 176882

Joe - Yuengling is the favorite of both of my SIL's, as they are both from the Pennsylvania/Jersey area. They both celebrated when Yuengling finally became available in Texas in August 2021. I used to bring it back for them on my trips to Gulf Shores AL, since it was available in Shreveport LA, on the way home.
Mac -

Not necessarily always the case. We always shared money management until my wife decided to take over in the mid-90's. She does very well and while I can manage to do it, I welcomed the relief. I still manage the investment portfolio and major expenses, but she manages the day to day activities like credit card (only one), checking, moving money between accounts, bill paying, as well as the money market and CD activity. My only complaints are Christmas shopping and Amazon.

I just received a text message from Joe Biden, asking me to donate money, and enter a drawing to "Have a cup of joe with Joe and Kamala"; including flights and hotel. Of course it's directed to Tina, who had my cell phone number over ten years ago. It's from the same phone number that Beto O'Rourke used to use.

Everybody have a wonderful Wednesday.
Willie found something for you to add to the sidewalk in front of one of your grocery stores. Miniprints!

IMG_1995.png

Wives and Finance: My mother handled the finances in our house. My father was content to sit in his chair and doodle, leave important stuff to my mom.
I let the first wife run our finances...that did not turn out well.
Once that was over, I had to learn how to do finances, investments and credit. When I remarried, the new bride was content to allow me to continue, so I stumbled along, until I figured out what I was doing. It's noteasy when you have to start from scratch.
Meanwhile, the wife is managing her mothers finances, and is doing a great job. She is a smart Cookie, and sees through all the scams the Assisted Living management tries to pull.
OMG - Remember the 'Flash Gordon' rocket ship?
That 'copter was in front of the K-mart. My youngest loved it. Thinking of him, he's up at Patuxent NAS again. He spends more time there than in his office at Cherry Point, NC,

Ouch! Moan! Groan! This is what I get for doing some actual physical work.
We have a house trailer on a power company lake about 20 miles from home.
There is a 50 foot covered porch on the front facing the lake. During the summer, we noticed water stains on the wood ceiling. meaning the seam between the metal porch roof and the trailer wall was leaking.
Fallen leaves pile up at the junction and retain water from rain. The galvanized sheet metal barrier has rusted thru and lets the roof leak. Since the summer heat and drought has kept the water away, I have tried to scheduled a work day with my SIL and grandson. Work and girl friends have changed my plans several times. I have already cut 9" x 24" strips of aluminum sheet to be a new barrier on the roof.
Predicted heavy rains for today forced me to tackle the job today be myself. My wife was the designated emergency phone caller if I fell off the roof.
Monday, I climbed carefully on the roof with the carpet kneeling pad, strips, sheet metal screws, cordless drill and cordless leaf blower. In 3.5 hours, I cleaned off a 3 foot strip of damp leaves, limbs and hickory nuts from the porch roof junction.
It took from 45 seconds to 3 minutes to install each of 4 screws into the heavy metal porch roof on 8 aluminum strips. I rubbed my knees raw, even with the carpeting pad. After supper, I made a run to Lowes to buy self tapping sheet metal screws. A very wise decision!
Tuesday, we left much earlier with the corded leaf blower and recharged batteries, real knee pads and the correct screws.
In two hours, I finished installing the aluminum strips, blew off the porch and trailer roofs, and with my wife's help, blew off the 125 foot driveway.
Today, ,my knees are better, but I have several bruises where I laid on top of the metal roof ridges.
I know, " You poor baby."

Willie found something for you to add to the sidewalk in front of one of your grocery stores. Miniprints!

View attachment 176892
I am in the process of putting together another MiniPrints order in time for a Christmas present to me. I noticed this about the same time that you posted it. Cool item along with a few other new items. I have also noticed that he is offering a few of the newer items as painted at no extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back