Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here watch this. This is me driving my brothers 1967 Kenworth with a 318 Detroit. Only using the clutch to stop and take off. I started my driving career driving Detroits back in 1989. If you can master a Detroit Diesel your accomplishing something. I’ve always loved these old 2 stroke
engines. One of my favorite trucks I drove with 318 in it was a 1974 Mack RS700L back in 1992-93.

The only way to drive. They're not made to use the clutch when driving. However I did drive an old Brockway that you had to double clutch or you were not going to move.
Nice truck, those Detroit's were powerful but loud.
We got 2 Peterbilt dump trucks at work that power shift like a dream. I leave the Jake brake on and let it burp between shifts.

The only way to drive. They're not made to use the clutch when driving. However I did drive an old Brockway that you had to double clutch or you were not going to move.
Nice truck, those Detroit's were powerful but loud.
We got 2 Peterbilt dump trucks at work that power shift like a dream. I leave the Jake brake on and let it burp between shifts.

So 2when he first started you could see him depressing the clutch but at speed his shifting appeared to be clutchless. Is this correct? Is this because he was matching speeds manually so there was driver induced speed matching so the gears meshed without needing to clutch?

So 2when he first started you could see him depressing the clutch but at speed his shifting appeared to be clutchless. Is this correct? Is this because he was matching speeds manually so there was driver induced speed matching so the gears meshed without needing to clutch?
Yes when starting out you use the clutch. After moving your shifting by RPM to mesh the gears When done correctly it'll just fall into gear upshifting or downshifting.

Y'all are still truckin' I see. My only truck driving experience was on Army 5 Ton (Multi-fuel), and Duce and a halfs, while I was in the Track Company (CO A) Then I went to CO C, when they found out I was a Loco Engineer. Si, Loco! :eek: :rolleyes: Only other experience was tailboard or officers seat on Seagrave 75s and Mack Bs. I did start the process of learning to Tiller. but I took a railroad Position in DC, and left the Department. What is that called.Hack of all trades, but Mastered none?

I have some critical plumbing issues to tackle tomorrow...quick fix ain't working, so it's new parts and a complete re-do of the Master bath vanity plumbing. :mad:

My only truck driving experience was on Army 5 Ton (Multi-fuel), and Duce and a halfs,
I have some critical plumbing issues to tackle tomorrow...quick fix ain't working, so it's new parts and a complete re-do of the Master bath vanity plumbing. :mad:
Boris what kind of plumping problems?
That's what I did in the USMC - USMC 5 Ton Multi-Fuel That's the reason they didn't send me to Vietnam. Didn't need very many trucks there but in the Sahar Desert that's how you got around.
Swal

Good evening gang!

Not much going on, been busy with w*rk and the new pup.

Growing up on the farm you had to drive a stick shift. Started out with John Deeres , (some with hand clutches) around age 10, graduated to pickups with 3 on the tree at 14, then a 1953 White Freightliner grain truck and a 1966 GMC cabover grain truck at 16. The freightliner had the biggest steering wheel I had ever seen and you had to be rolling to get it to turn, let alone shifting and turning at the same time! Several cars and truck later with stick shifts, I only ever blew 1 clutch, and that was intentional (racing) Now I am spoiled rotten with a truck with auto trans, push button 4wd , 1 finger steering, forward collision alerts and lane departure

It is just after midday. Good afternoon all. Time to put the Summer garden furniture away for the Winter.

Dawn wants me to cook a full English breakfast for lunch. I shall mix in some maple syrup our daughter bought us. Also I shall add a few hash browns.

Hopefully see the train room later.

Good morning from Autumn in So. Central WIsconsin. It’s a balmy 49f degrees and moving to a high of 54. We have a drizzle that has everything wet. While it won’t be helpful to grow anything except the grass and weeds we do need the rain. I would like to think I cut grass yesterday for the last time this season but looking at the next 10 forecast, we range from a low of 35 overnights to mid 50’s.

Grocery day yesterday as Terry and I did the big trip (apologies to WilliE). The 8 mile round trip had us stopping at the 4 stores we shop at but rarely on the same day. I sat in the car at our Pick & Save as we found out last week they have gone COMPLETELY to self check out. We said we would not go back after last week’s trip but they had the Tide brand and size bottle Terry uses for $3.99 each, max of 5 bottles with digital coupon. 35 minutes after leaving the car Terry returned. She said the digital coupons at self check out needed a code to be entered by the non-existent cashier. The helper was bouncing all over. Seems terribly non customer friendly to me.

Stick shifts! After I received my license on my 16th birthday, dad came home with a Opel Kadet. Drove over to the grade school parking lot and taught me how to use it. 4 on the floor! Had that car from Junior year in high school till Spring of my 4th year in college. Woke up one morning in my apartment about 6AM with Terry shaking me awake. She said something just happened in the parking lot. The garbage pick up truck had smashed into 3 cars, totaling 1 (mine) and heavily damaging a neighbor and Terry’s car. The driver had a heart attack and the truck still had the big plow attachment on it and basically hitting my car first pretty much sliced it in 2. Terry‘s car was a $100 car she purchased and they settled for $200. I got a new 1975 Malibu Classic out of deal. Of the $2800 price tag I remember paying $600 out of pocket, the insurances did the rest. New car as a graduating college student with no car payment was a great beginning. I thought it was a fair settlement! Terry‘s last few cars and my last VW Golf in 2012 have had those paddle shifters.

No trains yesterday until around 10PM when EBay let me know the Atlas Center Partition car sold
IMG_1504.jpeg
IMG_1505.jpeg
IMG_1507.jpeg

I printed the address label, inspected the car with pictures and taped the label to the box. A trip to the post office today is required. This evening we are going to see the musical Aladdin. We have decided that dinner is home this evening. It better be good as we are missing a Badger hockey game for this.

I have one car left on EBay, a Scaletrains Bulkhead flat car
IMG_1515.jpeg
IMG_1514.jpeg

Usually my ST bulkheads sell on the buy it now feature but this one hasn’t

enjoy the day

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    956.3 KB · Views: 24
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 63°. Clouds moved in earlier than expected yesterday and the high was just 75° when the forecast called for 81°. No problem though, as it was rather pleasant to do lots of outdoor tasks.

We did pick up the Accura yesterday after the suspension was rebuilt; I didn't drive it home but my wife says that it is much improved. It will sit in the driveway until Monday when we have an alignment appointment at a very busy place.

I learned to drive with a manual transmission with the shifter on the steering column in a '59 Chevy Biscayne, and drove manual transmissions continuously until I gave up my Honda Civic in 2017. I still drive the automatic Accura and Lexus with my hand on the shifter, just out of habit. At least I never moved it while driving, but was tempted to at first.

Of course today is the weekly grocery trek. I have an additional stop at Home Depot on the schedule, don't know if my wife has any stops to add yet.

A boring day out in the train shed yesterday. I measured and cut out the fence mesh for the fuel distributor. I also cut the horizontal poles for the fence. Hard part is next, attaching those horizontal poles to the posts. Three hands would help.
I did some more follow-up on the Mack truck, painting the lights on the bumper and cab roof.
IMG_0573.JPG

Here it is with two other tractors that I recovered from that toybox years ago.
IMG_0575.JPG

Then while I was looking in the detail parts drawer, I found something else.
IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

A pair of mirrors with CB antennas. Time for an unexpected addition.
IMG_0579.JPG

I am not sure where I got them from, but I wish that I had five or six more sets. I'll have to search the net.

Sherrel -
Taxes are in will be in the mail today. Don't quitye understand why I am paying more with less income
It's mainly due to who's in charge both at the state and national level.
Louis/Curt - The mangled hand is just the typical cuts/scrapes from when the wrench slips off the nut and the hand makes contact with several other protruding hunks of metal. Only one spot actually required a Band Aid, the rest just bled for a couple of minutes and stopped when I washed all of the blood off. Still am wearing the Band Aid, mainly to prevent the wound from re-opening as I do other stuff. Otherwise all is OK.
Louis -
I never even heard of hackberry
In case you haven't looked it up yet, Hackberry. Very common somewhat nuisance tree around here. They grow under power lines and along fence rows due to birds who eat the pulp-covered seeds but cannot digest the actual seed. So they deposit it under wherever they happen to be, surrounded by a mass of fertilizer. As I posted, the wood is very dense and makes excellent firewood. The warty bark can be uncomfortable to handle though.
Curt - The wood windfall is just that. I have actually been going over there and harvesting selected trees for a few years now, but they did the work and put them a lot closer. I'll still need to cut them into logs, but I have 10-12 months for that. I'm just glad that I have enough land to put them on without being in the way. They were originally putting them in the corner of the field where their massive equipment cannot go to, when I saw what was happening. I asked for them to start putting them on my property, and the fellow even went back and retrieved all that he had put in the field and moved them as well. Ironic sidenote - the man operating the piece of equipment was in my oldest daughter's graduating class of '97, (class size = 13) and knew her well. Small school!
Jim - I would hope to leave $0 to my three kids, as they didn't do anything to earn it and none of them needs it anyway. I put all of them through college already. There will probably be a goodly sum anyway. My wife wants to give them some now so they can enjoy it tax-free. I say no, inflation is going to take it's toll if things don't change, and we don't know how much longer we will need it. Wife and I got nothing until Dad died and I had to split with five siblings. We helped her parents for a short time.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

About a 1/3 or less compared to the world largest classification yard which is the Union Pacific Bailey Yard. No where in the world does any railroad come close to Union Pacific yard.

Pacific's Bailey Yard

Union Pacific's Bailey Yard, located in North Platte, is the largest railroad classification yard in the world. Named in honor of former Union Pacific President Edd H. Bailey, the massive yard covers 2,850 acres, reaching a total length of eight miles.

compared to BNSF....

Located in Kansas City, the second busiest U.S. rail center behind Chicago, is BNSF's 780-acre Argentine Yard

Morning all,

Been busy playing catch up here at the office. Noisy as heck because they are remodeling city hall, so I'm getting even more dust than I did around my house.

Finally got notice the toilet is in...One more piece to my puzzle getting complete.

In the kitchen, the toe kick under the cabinets, while physically intact, can't be used due to water damage over the years. Called a couple of smaller local lumber yards and the don't stock what I wanted. I need it in an oak I can finish to match the oak cabinets. We have 3 Big Box home improvement companies in Metro Wichita (Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards). 2 of the 3 don't stock it, but could order it. I'd have it available as special order by November 15th. Lowe's stocks it normally, but is out at the moment. Could order it and have it by November 1st. there are 3 Lowe's stores in Wichita, all 3 out of stock. 1 store in neighboring suburb of Derby Kansas, out of stock. Moving further out, Hutchinson and Salina Kansas, out of stock. Store in Ponca City Oklahoma, 3 in stock. So after a phone call and finding it was indeed in stock, I drove the 72 miles one way to Ponca City to get what I required. Nice hour and 10 minute drive. Ponca City is actually closer than the Hutchinson store would have been and I'm not waiting.

Currently 63 and cloudy with a possibility of storms overnight. Most of those are supposed to be to our north and east.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back