Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

Coming into 68F in the sunshine. It's a beautiful weekend to be in the north country.

I don't drink beer and I'm not big on competitive team sports. But, I don't care what people post and talk about. Each to their own, in my opinion.
I'm fairly certain most sane people don't want to hear details about a garden fence either, or want photos of real locomotives on a modelling forum. It's a coffee shop, though, so everyone has a right to say what they want within the rules of sensibility.

Today, I'm going to walk the dog and work on a garden fence. That isn't very interesting, but, lets you know where I'm at in spacetime on this earth.
The choices are either ignore it or be thrilled at the news.

Now, here's the locomotive:
CN 3048_ET44AC_04-26-2023 (2).JPG

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Don't really drink much, Had a beer the weekend before Easter, but nothing since or for a few years before.

My first computer was a Timex/Sinclair 1000, with a 16k memory expansion pack. It was in kit form... I had played with the others and the first computer we had as a family was one I constructed from parts from the office...IBM P\C XT Clone, 8086 processor with the 8087 Math Co-Processor, 640K of Ram, 2 5.25" 360K Floppy Drives and 2 20Mb Hard Drives, CGA Video and color Monitor, and a 1200 baud modem. Speedy for 1984. Cost nearly $6000 for the parts at the time.

Newest one was $600 and far and above the original.

Good Morning All. Foggy and 49° here, although not as foggy as an hour ago. OK day yesterday, moderate temperatures and the sun finally came out around 4:00 pm. The NWS is predicting strong storms this afternoon , but right now they all appear to be staying north of the Red River in OK. But this is North Texas in the springtime and severe weather with thunderstorms, high wind, hail and tornadoes can pop up at any time. OR, nothing can happen as the NWS has been wrong!

Yesterday's grocery/beer trek went as planned, but with the addition of picking up my "ears". Grocery prices seem to have stabilized but are not coming down. Gasoline prices have fallen about 10¢ a gallon to the $3.19-$3.25 range. Bad news at the deli counter though. Boar's Head is no longer going to supply them with the liverwurst that I purchase pretty soon, meaning that I will be stuck with Oscar Mayer.

Don't know what today has in store yet. Despite the almost inch of rain Wednesday night, I should probably mow the yard somewhere just to get ahead. Rain all soaked in and no puddles even formed. The SW corner over the septic area is a likely candidate. I haven't really developed a good rotation yet this season.

Several things out in the train shed yesterday. I added some more weeds to the refinery scene and added more parts to the P2K covered hopper kit. I'm making progress on both. Took no pictures of either. I am at the grab iron stage of the hopper and haven't broken or lost one of their plastic ones yet. I will be continuing with both projects later today. Meanwhile I spoke with Chet for about 45 minutes yesterday and I will be getting a few more Logan Valley items off his hands.
In lieu of current project pictures, here are some from the archive. Actually these are all inspirational pictures that I collected over the years from either layouts of prototype operations that I would like to duplicate someday. I am sorry that I cannot credit the original photographer on these as I didn't notate that information.
index 1.jpg

index 2.jpg

index 3.jpg

Sherrel - Condolences on the loss of your two "children". I know that they both enjoyed running around my yard a few years ago, including the mud bath in my pond.
Todd - You have posted before and again yesterday regarding the EPA getting involved with chimney smoke. I am obviously not aware of restrictions on this, and have heated the whole house exclusively with a woodstove for 42 years. Can you elaborate for me? Good luck with the home rehab and be more careful with the cottonwood!
Mike (CGW) - Thanks for the invite, but a Northern Illinois trip is not on my bucket list!;)
Moermusic - That calculator picture sure brings back memories. I still have mine.
Louis - Don't worry! Only the Colt 45 picture offended me!;)

Everything was going good here and then those beer pictures showed up.
I am enjoying those beer pictures, it was interesting to see what each member enjoys. We never had a complaint about all of the whiskey pictures that have been posted before!
Me thinks that something was taken out of context.

I'm all in favor of whining. Oh! wait, I'm in favor of wining as in wining and dining!

Today is National Arbor Day. Plant a tree or two to reduce CO₂ levels.
Everyone have a wonderful Friday.

Good Morning All. Foggy and 49° here, although not as foggy as an hour ago. OK day yesterday, moderate temperatures and the sun finally came out around 4:00 pm. The NWS is predicting strong storms this afternoon , but right now they all appear to be staying north of the Red River in OK. But this is North Texas in the springtime and severe weather with thunderstorms, high wind, hail and tornadoes can pop up at any time. OR, nothing can happen as the NWS has been wrong!

Yesterday's grocery/beer trek went as planned, but with the addition of picking up my "ears". Grocery prices seem to have stabilized but are not coming down. Gasoline prices have fallen about 10¢ a gallon to the $3.19-$3.25 range. Bad news at the deli counter though. Boar's Head is no longer going to supply them with the liverwurst that I purchase pretty soon, meaning that I will be stuck with Oscar Mayer.

Don't know what today has in store yet. Despite the almost inch of rain Wednesday night, I should probably mow the yard somewhere just to get ahead. Rain all soaked in and no puddles even formed. The SW corner over the septic area is a likely candidate. I haven't really developed a good rotation yet this season.

Several things out in the train shed yesterday. I added some more weeds to the refinery scene and added more parts to the P2K covered hopper kit. I'm making progress on both. Took no pictures of either. I am at the grab iron stage of the hopper and haven't broken or lost one of their plastic ones yet. I will be continuing with both projects later today. Meanwhile I spoke with Chet for about 45 minutes yesterday and I will be getting a few more Logan Valley items off his hands.
In lieu of current project pictures, here are some from the archive. Actually these are all inspirational pictures that I collected over the years from either layouts of prototype operations that I would like to duplicate someday. I am sorry that I cannot credit the original photographer on these as I didn't notate that information.
View attachment 167367
View attachment 167368
View attachment 167369

Sherrel - Condolences on the loss of your two "children". I know that they both enjoyed running around my yard a few years ago, including the mud bath in my pond.
Todd - You have posted before and again yesterday regarding the EPA getting involved with chimney smoke. I am obviously not aware of restrictions on this, and have heated the whole house exclusively with a woodstove for 42 years. Can you elaborate for me? Good luck with the home rehab and be more careful with the cottonwood!
Mike (CGW) - Thanks for the invite, but a Northern Illinois trip is not on my bucket list!;)
Moermusic - That calculator picture sure brings back memories. I still have mine.
Louis - Don't worry! Only the Colt 45 picture offended me!;)

I am enjoying those beer pictures, it was interesting to see what each member enjoys. We never had a complaint about all of the whiskey pictures that have been posted before!
Me thinks that something was taken out of context.

I'm all in favor of whining. Oh! wait, I'm in favor of wining as in wining and dining!

Today is National Arbor Day. Plant a tree or two to reduce CO₂ levels.
Everyone have a wonderful Friday.
Willie: I suspect that our State and/or County ( Lincoln ) has something to do with it also. If I remember correctly, the smoke thing started when Libby became a Superfund Site. There used to be an EPA girl that drove around checking chimney smoke. If she decided that there was too much coming out of the chimney, local .gov and EPA would show up. Boy, don't burn anything wet or Cottonwood. A couple years back I happened to be up about 0200 and noticed a strange light. Upon more curiosity I found that my chimney was lit up like a runway. Yup, EPA checking it out. I also suspect that this all happens as Libby is located in a pretty steep river valley where the winds swirl. Not much gets blown in or out so the smoke settles in the valley.

Note that I have not seen the EPA girl for awhile, but that could be I wasn't home and on the road. You still can only buy EPA rated wood stoves new anywhere in Libby. That probably extends to Western Montana also. Crap stoves as you can NOT stoke them down to let the fire burn all night. One of the reasons we switched to pellet fuel: don't have to get up and feed the wood stove(s). Funny thing is you can have a non-EPA stove in your garage or workshop as long as they are not connected to the house ... go figure.

Hope that helps some.

Later

Well howdy, there beer drinkers, non-beer drinkers, and those who don't mind the odd rainbow...

To get the beer discussion back on track (pun intended) here are some photos of beer that matter: (swiped from https://bradystrains.com/collections/budweiser)

View attachment 167353
View attachment 167354

As for my favorite beer?

Larceny Wheat Forward Bourbon, or Beullit Rye. Just never enjoyed the taste of wheat sodas. Not IPAs, not dark ales.

Diet Dr. Pepper, that's a good replacement if you really need to give me a can of something with bubbles.

View attachment 167355
Troy, one of the guys in my club has enough beer cars to run a 50-60 car consist on our club layout as a “beer run”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back