Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Tried to get on last night for a bit. I overdid the weekend during the nice weather, (surprise, surprise) and was off yesterday with a stomach bug.
Back in the office today with meetings scheduled for most of the week. Can't get much done when you're in meetings. We're moving the email to the cloud on Thursday, so I'll probably still work my 40 hours this week.

Oh Yeah, for those that care, Sunday is the beginning of daylight savings time. Set the clock ahead 1 hour. I can't believe they're still forcing that on us when it's been shown it doesn't save anything, and actually has negative health implications.

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 80.
Several years ago, I got a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. I've noticed needing to charge it more frequently over the last year, but events have worked against doing anything about it. The tipping point came last night, when I tried watching a movie that was 80 minutes long, and the battery died before the movie was over.
I ran a battery check, and sure enough, it is less than a third of original capacity. I ordered a replacement, and it should be here this weekend.
On most laptops, changing a battery is pretty straightforward. If anybody here has a laptop with a short-life battery, I can take some pics and document them here. I'm sure there are lots of Youtube videos, so I'll leave it up to y'all if you want to follow along.
Dell is real good with what you need to R\R their equipment. Go to support.dell.com and then support tab and then put the 7 digit service tag and it will get you to the service manual for your specific machine among other things. Batteries on most laptops are only good for about 12-18 months before they really start losing power, especially if you don't use the power saving features while on battery.

Ok, I'll bite,(pun intended) what's scrapple ?
What exactly is scrapple made of?

Image result for scrapple recipe

Scrapple is a dish made from scraps of pork meat, usually trimming, combined with cornmeal and spices. The individual ingredients are cooked separately and then put together in a loaf pan to chill. When the loaf forms, it's sliced and served

A mush made of the unused parts of a hog; heart, liver, brains[?], tails and other leftovers, usually combined with cornmeal & wheat flour and fried up. Very common in the east and southeast parts of the US. Here in Texas, we call it "poor man's sausage".
Interesting! I’ve heard the name, but never knew what it was. Doesn’t sound like it’s for me.

Ahhhh.....Sherrel you crack me up! Well I would like to share that but she is a private person. We will have pics when fishing season starts in a matter weeks. Needless to say I will need to ask her permission to share any pics. I am very careful about posting pics. She is a high profile dignitary in her profession as a CFO. I will say she is a looker for sure. She is 5'-11" and well I am 5'-9 3/4". So ya, she is taller than me. Super long blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes like a doe. She has a fantastic figure for her age. I do appreciate her for sure. Anyways you will have to wait....I will keep posting trains and freight cars until then ;):D
Totally understand the issue with posting pictures. I have to have permission to post the grandkids pictures.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who took 4 hour naps today (raises own hand).

Seems I got up at 2:30a wide awake after trying to sleep immobile on my belly for back reasons.

Tried the recliner, hoping I could go back to sleep. But the La-z-boy bothered the disk. It just sits wrong for right now. After my shower at 6:30, I knew I was up for the day. Did my full set of stretches, paying attention to what the back was telling me with each stretch. It's not acting like a muscle issue. So my guess is I'm dealing with old disks.

So I put the big pillow in the desk chair for lumbar support.
View attachment 163624

Added the IR heating pad, and a bungie. Got a real lumbar support cushion arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

Managed to get two walks in today. Those really helped. But came back from the second one, and the firm futon (a flip back couch without arms) called to me. So I piled my pillows, lay on my belly, and drifted off about 2p. Woke up at 6. Wife already had her supper going. I fired up the gas grill and ate my second burger of the day.

Need to word some more words tonight. Didn't get enough of them done earlier.
Walking is great.

Troy I see you paint mixer on the desk. I was looking at something similar last year. Do you like what you have?

Morning all,

Tried to get on last night for a bit. I overdid the weekend during the nice weather, (surprise, surprise) and was off yesterday with a stomach bug.
Back in the office today with meetings scheduled for most of the week. Can't get much done when you're in meetings. We're moving the email to the cloud on Thursday, so I'll probably still work my 40 hours this week.

Oh Yeah, for those that care, Sunday is the beginning of daylight savings time. Set the clock ahead 1 hour. I can't believe they're still forcing that on us when it's been shown it doesn't save anything, and actually has negative health implications.

Dell is real good with what you need to R\R their equipment. Go to support.dell.com and then support tab and then put the 7 digit service tag and it will get you to the service manual for your specific machine among other things. Batteries on most laptops are only good for about 12-18 months before they really start losing power, especially if you don't use the power saving features while on battery.
Patrick, our politicans have told us THEY have more important things to worry about than a time change. Our famous male Senator has said that, it would be very inconvenient to both the airlines and railroads to change. They make their schedules far in advance. Yes, they know what is best for us!

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving.

Good morning! This is the earliest I've ever had to mow. Of course, I had a "reason" to mow. We have a very active American Shepherd (used to be called Mini Aussies), and we recently bought a remote controlled truck for it to chase around the yard. He loves to chase it, but it's on teh small side, and doesn't like tall grass very well. So I had to mow so our dog can play. :)

Enjoy

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 54°, headed up to 76° later on, after 84° yesterday. Rain has been added back into today's forecast, but radar shows it only around Oklahoma City and moving away. Rain typically does not come to me from the north. NWS has also revised the high temperatures for the next few days downward from what they were predicting yesterday. We shall see.

Out in the garden, the green peas that I planted 2-21, started emerging. Still waiting on the carrots from 2-17, but they normally take at least three weeks to germinate, sprout and emerge. Otherwise, I pruned another tree and will trim it up today.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the Ethanol refinery ground detailing. Added a second coat of concrete paint to the storage tank area and added ground cover nearby. Still no pictures.
I ran a unit train of loaded grain covered hoppers and experienced several derailments with the same car in two different spots. Repeated and got the same results. Nothing visually wrong, wheel gauge, truck play and car weight all within my standards as well as NMRA standards. No dragging coupler pins or any other apparent issues. So I added about 10g more weight to it and will try it again today. I used Walther's Goo and pennies, and I need to wait until it sets up overnight.
Nothing else to readily post this morning, so here's a repeat of Sherrel at the drugstore.
IMG_3187.JPG

Tom O - It seems like railcar weathering has become your newest job. Great that you love doing it but probably not as lucrative as debt servicing!;)
Sherrel - Jeez! Not even onions, peppers or mushrooms on that pizza?
Terry -
the company sent the hazardous stuff away to the proper places, and now people inthose places are howling.
It's not so much that they sent it, but didn't tell any "officials" that it was coming through their states. If those officials and the folks that they are trying to stir up only knew how much other stuff goes through each day, they would really have a fit.
Troy - It seems good that you got the nap. But as others have pointed out, it may be time to bite the bullet and go to the doctor.
Mike - Scrapple is an acquired taste. It's OK, but it's not widely available here and I don't specifically shop for it.

Everybody have a great day.

Ok, I will try Scrapple if the opportunity arises.

Good morning from what now looks like a great morning. When I got up it was overcast and the clouds were really sliding across the sky. Now just some wispy clouds and the winds are calm. Unusual that the winds were out of the NE.

The son’s hearing in Duluth extends into today. So it looks like we head to Arizona on Thursday.

I have a question for our illustrious media. Do they know that the mountains in California get huge amounts of snowfalls? Sure not every year but they have often. I am so sick of reading or if Terry doesn’t have the Bluetooth sound on the news programs going about the poor folks who were caught off guard. They were warned, they just didn’t doing anything to prepare…

Like the Cell company promoting 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days take some time out from the cell phones. I think our media should promote of full day of reporting only the good news and no politics.

Terry wants to sit down today and go over the financials. She talked to the firm yesterday preparing our business taxes and asked how the progress was. She was told, we will file an extension and when we have more info we will let you know. That’s the second negative reaction she has had in 5 weeks. She wants to switch companies today. I agree after over 25 years with this firm and the new this year ownership acts this way, we should switch.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 54°, headed up to 76° later on, after 84° yesterday. Rain has been added back into today's forecast, but radar shows it only around Oklahoma City and moving away. Rain typically does not come to me from the north. NWS has also revised the high temperatures for the next few days downward from what they were predicting yesterday. We shall see.

Out in the garden, the green peas that I planted 2-21, started emerging. Still waiting on the carrots from 2-17, but they normally take at least three weeks to germinate, sprout and emerge. Otherwise, I pruned another tree and will trim it up today.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the Ethanol refinery ground detailing. Added a second coat of concrete paint to the storage tank area and added ground cover nearby. Still no pictures.
I ran a unit train of loaded grain covered hoppers and experienced several derailments with the same car in two different spots. Repeated and got the same results. Nothing visually wrong, wheel gauge, truck play and car weight all within my standards as well as NMRA standards. No dragging coupler pins or any other apparent issues. So I added about 10g more weight to it and will try it again today. I used Walther's Goo and pennies, and I need to wait until it sets up overnight.
Nothing else to readily post this morning, so here's a repeat of Sherrel at the drugstore.
View attachment 163651

Tom O - It seems like railcar weathering has become your newest job. Great that you love doing it but probably not as lucrative as debt servicing!;)
Sherrel - Jeez! Not even onions, peppers or mushrooms on that pizza?
Terry -

It's not so much that they sent it, but didn't tell any "officials" that it was coming through their states. If those officials and the folks that they are trying to stir up only knew how much other stuff goes through each day, they would really have a fit.
Troy - It seems good that you got the nap. But as others have pointed out, it may be time to bite the bullet and go to the doctor.
Mike - Scrapple is an acquired taste. It's OK, but it's not widely available here and I don't specifically shop for it.

Everybody have a great day.
Willie, it’s an adventure not a job. I have fun doing it. I can walk away from it and no one gets upset. I prefer clients like James and Chris who know I will get the job done. I like seeing my work elsewhere. I have a good base of around 20, like them I can count on. This new guy, well we will see.

Actual weathering for clients is way down in 2023. Just clear coating cars to fade for my one guy I don’t count those. Part of that was the move in January that basically I shut down most of December into February by not accepting new work. I will be happy to reach 200 cars this year but if I don’t I don’t.

Thankfully I am not in it for profit. I have a locomotive weathered from a guy I believe is the best. I did an exact locomotive last week. Put the 2 side by side and asked myself how come he gets so much. It’s his job and he charges for his time. I gave that up when I retired from the real job…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back