Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, all! A cool start to the day, 49 F. I'm sitting here eating breakfast, English muffin with Irish butter and Canadian jelly, American eggs and Scottish sausage (Lucern). Around the world at the breakfast table.

Getting ready to get the car inspected, and registration updated. Also oil & filter change and tire rotation.

BBL

71390DF4-E898-48BD-93D7-3B2C1D4B973A.jpeg

I like to wrench on my cars, but just about the only thing I can do anymore is change the brake pads and rotors. And even the brakes not much any more.

I'm on my second VW Touareg. I'm not sure if this second will be as robust as the first, but... That first VW Touareg... it's front brake rotors lasted over 100,000 miles before needing to be replaced. They were HUGE. The Touareg is rated at 7,770 pound towing capacity, and you gotta have good brakes for towing. 👍

The pads needed replaced more frequently, but those rotors were massive and made from really good steel.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those hunkering down in your bunkers with your gas appliances (I've got several in this place).

It's Troy again.

Got the latest book back Thursday from the new editor. She asked a lot of good questions, as I instructed her to do. this is for a #1 book in a new mystery series. But it's set in the same "world" as my other two. So I had to finesse the prose to clue in the potential new readers on what pixies, gnomes, goblins, etc are - but NOT give away too much that might reveal the mystery.

I hunkered in the writing bunker, and got the revisions made, then sent it back to the editor so she can check over the revisions.

Today was a head to the grocery day. Was going to go yesterday, but got almost 2.5 inches of the powdery white stuff on the ground outside. Then it became laundry day.

Supposed to be in the transition band for Wednesday's snow storm. Currently, we're on the line. Either 2-4 inches or 3-6 inches. With the price of eggs following the avian flu outbreak, I decided to not pre-purchase French toast fixings. We'll get by on yogurt and oatmeal if we get snowed in.

And a happy 50th anniversary to Pink Floyd (the band) on their release of Dark Side of the Moon. I need to either put the CD in, or pull out my DVD of Pulse to delight in the music.

I was gobsmacked that there was outcry over PF's changing of their logo to include a rainbow.

RollingStone covered it here: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/pink-floyd-fans-triggered-wok-rainbow-1234664971/

Some folk need to learn their classic rock iconography.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 1.51.28 PM.png

8AM and 15F. Been 15F since 6AM when I got up. Coldest I've seen in a while in the morning. Snowed yesterday an inch or there but light dry snow due to being colder. Also early last week it snowed one day the nice light dry snow. According to the weather guesser app on my phone the next 10 days are mostly listed as cloudy of some sort but no precipitation chances shown. Mostly cold though with just a day or two showing a high above freezing. Need a few extra days in the mid 30s or higher.

Saturday we did get another section of the initial foam layer of the main floor done. Took several hours as the first layer we have to go over the existing foam and get all the dirt, gravel, concrete, ice etc out and install some rebar (in some places) as well as the steel straighteneer ladder pieces. Had to cut and bend a little rebar. I have the door location marked but not cut yet. I need to cut the door still but want to do it differently this time to avoid issues with straightness. Have not yet put the rebar and stuff into this first layer. Just the foam.

View attachment 160482

This week I want to get the rest of the initial foam layer done everywhere except by the garage where we need the pour in first. Try an hour or two daily at lunch time... Same clean and fixing up of the existing foam needs to happen but hopefully a little easier as further away from where all th egravel was being thrown and made a mess when we did the basement slab.

The second and higher layers will be a much faster deal...
I have been collecting wood for the woodburners, our delivery purchased start of the new year is not arriving anytime soon, they have our cash, but they have been unindated with orders and appear to have trouble making good.
We ran out of bought wood over w weeks ago, we are avoiding electricity except the cloudless sunny solar - which the car takes with relish, plus some water heating, dishwasher,washing machine and the occasnal oil radiator.
So again collecting our own wood, it goes into the polytunnel, dead wood or branches where hopefully it dries, some wood is losing 10 percent humidity per week, so we are managing to self supply.
But back to you, you have my respect, we are cold but not in snow, and the polytunnel is way warmer, working out in that weather must take sone serious determination. I know a mostly self build saves a lot of cash. Ut kudos.

I'm pleased to say I arrived home, and my package was now inside the building, away from prying eyes, it was as I suspected the BNIB 3 pack of Intermountain 4 bay CP Rail cylindrical hoppers, and very nice they look too. I'll post a foto in the RPO later.

Last edited:
Well fennel is popular in Italian sausage, that is certainly a love hate herb
but they add variously a whole host
garlic,
Parmesan cheese-totally yucky,
red peppercorn is another love hate
bay leaf
wine red white or other alcohols can cause a pungent flavouring
to be honest there is any number of contenders,
salamis often have whole seed, pepper is usually recognisable, but nutmeg too can strange to some seeing it as a sweet Xmas thing,
I once bought an expensive salami sausage with blue cheese….I love most blue cheese but these tasted like 200 year old condemned smelly socks, no one else would eat it either,even the dogs were like W T F!

now I like
Milano, white white white
Fuerte is nice
Spinatto (i think I spelt it wrong) has paprika and chilli overtones which I love
the very red pepperoni is a love hate for some,
I buy small ones cut in half or quarters cook letting the paprika leak into the oil and fry an egg in the oil yum yum,
pepper encrusted nice if you like the strong pepper finish
cheese encrusted - yuk
garlic encrusted ok in a mix,
napoli is a basic favourite,
but the above are mostly designated as salamis,
the Italian sausages come in a whole host of flavours, they tend to be more finely mushed and punky perhaps with chunks of fat or strong herbs.
if I. Honest the salamis are more my style than the specific sausages one of my cookbooks has a host photographed and named I’ll look for it and add it ……when ican be bothered to get up lol
It could be fennel. Anything with Bay leaves is off my list. Not only do I not like the taste of bay leaves, but it does also not agree with me.

I love Genoa salami! Oscar Mayer makes a hard salami I like as well.

Thank you, Jaz!

"Pont of view."

We each each have a unique gift called a point of view. My point of view is very special to me, as I am the only person in the world who has my point of view. There is nothing you can do to force your point of view onto me. And I have no business trying to manipulate your point of view.

Pretty simple, except for those who are incapable of seeing the world through anyone's eyes but their own.

I'm pleased to say I arrived home, and my package was now inside the building, away from prying eyes, it was as I suspected the BNIB 3 pack of Intermountain 4 bay CP Rail cylindrical hoppers, and very nice they look too. I'll post a foto in the RPO later.
I've gotten to know the delivery drivers and they hide packages behind stuff (furniture) on the porch.

Went to Costco on Friday. The 2 dozen "cage free" white eggs were $6.49. The 2 dozen "cage free / Omega-3" eggs brown were $5.89. I buy the omega eggs anyway but if I am just buying eggs (not the omega ones as they are not available) I buy whatever is cheapest. White or brown. I don't care. But I will buy cage free or free roam or whatever over the store factory eggs if the price difference is not that much... (Like now -- the basic store eggs are almost as expensive at places like Walmart as the "fancy" [cage free / free roam] eggs)
9194A80B-B44D-46FD-9A60-469D8599AC06.jpeg

JeffH -- I love it when a plan comes together. Those things hardly ever work out for me. Perhaps I need a little more "Faith"? Congrats to you--i have a recovering daughter -- she has been dry going on three years, PTL .. I seriously thought she was going to destroy herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back