Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaz, is there some spice that is unique to Italian sausage?

I like every other sausage I have tried.
Well fennel is popular in Italian sausage, that is certainly a love hate herb
but they add variously a whole host
garlic,
Parmesan cheese-totally yucky,
red peppercorn is another love hate
bay leaf
wine red white or other alcohols can cause a pungent flavouring
to be honest there is any number of contenders,
salamis often have whole seed, pepper is usually recognisable, but nutmeg too can strange to some seeing it as a sweet Xmas thing,
I once bought an expensive salami sausage with blue cheese….I love most blue cheese but these tasted like 200 year old condemned smelly socks, no one else would eat it either,even the dogs were like W T F!

now I like
Milano, white white white
Fuerte is nice
Spinatto (i think I spelt it wrong) has paprika and chilli overtones which I love
the very red pepperoni is a love hate for some,
I buy small ones cut in half or quarters cook letting the paprika leak into the oil and fry an egg in the oil yum yum,
pepper encrusted nice if you like the strong pepper finish
cheese encrusted - yuk
garlic encrusted ok in a mix,
napoli is a basic favourite,
but the above are mostly designated as salamis,
the Italian sausages come in a whole host of flavours, they tend to be more finely mushed and punky perhaps with chunks of fat or strong herbs.
if I. Honest the salamis are more my style than the specific sausages one of my cookbooks has a host photographed and named I’ll look for it and add it ……when ican be bothered to get up lol

Morning all,

Well, yesterday was a lot quieter than a week ago. Didn't even get on the computer here. Should be quiet at work the next day or so while we wait for others to do their jobs. Train show coming up in 2 weeks, but probably won't have time to go. I expect we'll be working through that one as well.

Troy: Sorry to here of your mom's failing health.

Good Morning All. Here it is partly cloudy and 39°. Wind just switched out of the north and we're in for a few colder days with rain and snow predicted for Tuesday. Tuesday it will flatline about 40° all day, so any snow won't be around long. Tonight's low around 27°, it won't be back above 60° until Friday.
The train show in Plano TX was successful yesterday for me. Since it was the first one since January 2020, there was a lot of pent up supply and demand. The estate sellers were there en masse. I broke my eight year pledge of not purchasing any freight cars with four P2K covered hopper kits for MKT and three Athearn RTR ATSF cabooses. Check out the RPO thread for more details and pictures of boxes. There was a lot more available that I would have bought, but I have no room on the layout for more! They were also in the mood for bargaining. I got the seven cars for a total of $63 all together. The layout tour didn't go as planned. One of the two in the immediate area was cancelled, however the open club layout nearby was open and quite exceptional. This club had moved into a suite in a business park after their old location in a shopping mall was razed to make room for apartments. They have a 2100 sq ft nearly completed layout that's fully operational.
IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2785.JPG

One surprise at the show was that the LHS, Discount Model Railroad was not there. That allowed them to be open with a full stock in their shop, so I went there next and spent more money. I just got $150 of scenery supplies and detail stuff. More on that after I get it unpacked.

Troy - Sorry to read about your Mom. Prayers and best wishes going forward.
Chris - My first exposure to NEM coupler pockets. I learned from the experience. I like learning new things even if I don't remember them for long!;)
Joe - Heck! I have a whole set of imported taps that were given to me that I never have used!
ShadowNix - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Nice work.
Justin - Sorry, can't help.

Steve Perry, singer from Journey is 74 today
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from an overnight covering of white in Wisconsin. It doesn’t look like much and actually what I can see of the sidewalk has been trampled by the dog walkers. Not even an inch! Another late morning, midnight to 8:20.

I am still looking for decently priced pulp cars. Twice in the last couple days I thought I had a deal with a guy and his spouse. IMO he is being forced to sell and this has been interesting. Actually yesterday they called me to re-ignite the deal and it was interesting strange. But, I was about to head out to the Badger hockey game and needed to figure the numbers when shipping is involved. She got on the phone and said, “do you want them or not”, I said not today! Geez…

So, Alcomotive (James) is going to Springfield and my search is part of his fun next Saturday and Sunday. I think it’d be fun just tagging along with James to see him work the vendors. There is a show going on in St. Point, Wi. yesterday and today 18 miles from the old homestead and 125 miles away from here +/-. But there are hockey games yesterday and today on Campus. My priority is the hockey.

I have been good, except for 2 trips walking by the bench to get to my soda pop refrigerator in the hobby room, I have stayed out. My self imposed edict to stay out expires at noon but I leave for hockey again today at 12:45. So, I will sit down at the bench after a return from an early dinner out tonight around 5:30.

Terry and her best friend are returning today to Wisconsin. They have been the last 2 nights in Pasadena at my sister’s. They were waiting for confirmation of a flight. They should get home this evening but are not 100% sure where she lands, 12 miles away in Middleton or 50 miles away at Swiss Colonies base in Janesville. Either way, the Son in Law will play chauffeur. Coach’s wife and the doctor returned earlier this week. My super peace and quiet of the past 17 days is about to be disrupted. Terry wanted to be here for as the Stables and land sale happens 2/1.

She will go back after that. I am going out for no more then the 10 days maximum I can handle, looks like on the 13th right now. I, maybe we, will fly into Burbank and stay a night or 2 with my sister and then fly out to the Islands. Spoke to the Orthopedic surgeon on Friday who says I need to wait on playing golf until she checks with my PT person. That was going to happen Friday afternoon but there are no notes yet in MyChart online from either. I know the brother will want to play and will have something lined up. I have been chipping but was told no twisting pressure on the knee allowed until the doctor oks it. So, no swinging of the clubs yet. The knee feels good, any pain has been gone for a couple weeks. I guess that’s big in her.

The grandson scored twice in a 3-3 hockey game yesterday at the home rink. The daughter sent video of both. The team and the mothers only headed after the game to Eau Claire to spend the night for 2 games today. No dad’s allowed on this trip and you know, that’s fine. Strange to me but fine. I can’t question it as my wife plans 190 days on Maui this year and I might do 40.

rambling is over, thank you for reading

Problem with eating out...(whether Mickey D's or a Five Star restaurant and anything in between)...is the high sodium count of their fare. Not to mention peoples obsession with cheese on everything. Sodium is not heart healthy, and lactaid intolerance is a problem for many. If one takes the CDC and advocacy groups seriously, the US has an Obesity epidemic, a Diabetes epidemic, and a high rate of heart disease. Eating out or takeout generally involves consumption of high sodium, high fat foods.

BTW: I haven't had a sub, pizza, (other than Dgiorno's), or steak, (other than home made no cheese), since before the pandemic shut down. Now, we have discontinued high sodium quick meals and canned soups as well. Since late October, 2022, my weight has dropped from 202 to 163, mainly due to discontinuing high sodium content and water pills, so there may be some truth to what the CDC and others pontificate.

Italian hot dog, is a couple of grilled hot dogs, with peppers and onions and Marinara sauce on an Italian roll....sort of a sausage and peppers knockoff. Used to get them at "Big Blue's", next to the train station in Linden. (Linden also hosted several great Polish restaurants back in the day).

Food is a personal choice, I have strong preferences about food. My choices, over time, have been limited by fate, more than change in taste.
I'm now concerned that I'm losing too much weight, but my numbers are within the "normal" range for my height. And, I am eating three squares, so, I'm not starving myself. Your experiences may vary...
Ugg, I can go a standard us hotdog a decent roll real fried onions tomato and American yellow mustard, not certain about your Italian hotdog option tho.

Good afternoon...Happy Sunday....Happy Year of the Rabbit! Temperature is currently hovering around 41° with cloud cover. It is anticipated that rain will begin around 1700 today and end around 0900 tomorrow.

Second son is driving from Jacksonville, NC, to Patuxent River NAS, in "Slower Lower Maryland, ...that is St.Mary's County. He will be there a week, doing Navy Department Stuff. Of course, it's raining. Driving in the rain is no fun.

I can go a standard us hotdog a decent roll real fried onions tomato and American yellow mustard, not certain about your Italian hotdog option tho.
It may surprise you. I was apprehensive at first, but the difference is a larger roll, and fired sweet peppers in addition to the dogs and fried onions. Mustard is an option, as is ketchup, or marinara sauce. A lot depends on the hot dog too...Living in the New York Metro area, I've developed a taste for Kosher (skinless all beef) dogs, with yellow mustard and a tomato - onion sauce. Favorite brand Sabrett, (from da Bronx). It's all moot now, as my "Healthy Heart" restrictions prohibit hot dogs and sausage, as well as a whole host of good stuff. :(

Willie: My tool chest is loaded with tools that were bought with anticipated need. The reality is that I only use a few, screw drivers, hammers pliers and cutters and a few wrenches. My tap and drill set, is a replacement for the one the boys wrecked while rebuilding their project Chevys. The only time I get to use my Metric wrenches is when I'm working on my Canadian built snow thrower.

I need to dig out my P2K GP9s, and work them up. They need decoders. I'm using silent decoders in them so there is no need to mill the weight.
The Philadelphia Eagles really manhandled the NJ/NY Giants (Midgets?). :rolleyes: It's back to the drawing board for the Giants...again!

Worse news, The Caps lost to Las Vegas 6 - 2 :(. Ovie didn't play, he has a "lower body injury", and is "Day to Day" :(:rolleyes:.

SA32 @  Red bank 1_19_23  - Marc Pitanza photo.jpg

Mark Pitanza caught SA-31 passing through Red Bank, NJ, on 01/19/2023. SA - 31, will enter Red Bank Yard, (just West of the station, and yard the train, then pick up the outbound and return to Browns.

On this Keto / carnivore diet (just ate broccoli soup lol) I have to watch the bread, the low gluten kit is still high carbs, but I got some physillis husk which apparently is good for making a very similar to 🥯 🥖 🍞 which I loved, and if I can use it to make an acceptable sand option I will be pretty happy bunny, I used to scoff
crumpets, who,e meal rolls, bagels plus toppings,pizza, fresh warm bread ancient grains, flavoured breads in a bread maker homemade, being able to reuse that would be awesome as I can time it with meals, I just need a few guaranteed hours to play and cook, and scoff….l
i used to make to die for quick rolls
self raising flour 500g or any amount as desired
greek yogurt 500g but same as above item.
so only TWO ingredients no baking powder salt or anything else required, mix
dump lumps in a silicon mould or just. Dollops on parchment paper cook 180-200 deg centigrade um Maybe 300 F for 20-15 minutes add room temp butter and try not to eat the who,e batch in one go, but as you could say go 100g plus 100g and it was easy for just a couple of rolls, you could make them fresh easy leash any time. Yogurt stays good for ages se.f rising flour stays fresh for ages, so deep snow, Covid, whatever you can be certain of some excellent bread. Not certain it would work for a loaf,the recipe recommended rolls, a dollop bigger than a golf ball gives a good chewy small roll definitely less than a tennis ball, I used yo butter the top and add salt or pepper or herbs totally yummy.

Get the other half Greek yogurt and I think you call it all purpose flour (it has a rising agent) and say pretty please try this easy recipe.

Chris - My first exposure to NEM coupler pockets. I learned from the experience. I like learning new
The nice thing about NEM pockets is that you can convert virtually any rolling stock to the coupler of choice instantly, (even magnetic ones, which are becoming very popular), those adapter's I sent are in case you come across another car that has a fixed european style coupling.

The downside here, unlike the US, is that many manufacturers don't have a standard height on the buffer beam, so often you either have to file or shim the buffer beam to get the correct coupling height.

I've a couple of cars that have NEM pockets that are now "conversion" cars, tension lock one end, kadee on the other, so I can literally mix UK and US rolling stock into one rake.

Last edited:
The nice thing about NEM pockets is that you can convert virtually any rolling stock to the coupler of choice instantly, (even magnetic ones, which are becoming very popular), those adapter's I sent are in case you come across another car that has a fixed european style coupling.

The downside here, unlike the US, is that many manufacturers don't have a standard height on the buffer beam, so often you either have to file or shim the buffer beam to get the correct coupling height.

I've a couple of cars that have NEM pockets that are now "conversion" cars, tension lock one end, kadee on the other, so I can literally mix UK and US rolling stock into one rake.
Back when I was in the Railway Operating Battalion, at Ft. Eustis, VA, we had real life cars, with AAR couplers on one end, and Euro Couplers and buffers on the other, so that the Army locomotives could couple to the Euro style freight cars, and assemble a train for training. There is a "Prototype" for everything.

Opinion on something other than stringed instrument players.
My wife and I just celebrated our 56th wedding anniversary. Is she just really patient or not too bright?
We decided long ago that divorce was not an option, but death or dismemberment is.
Congratulations Mikey. That's six years longer than us. I think that both of you exhibit extreme patience, or tolerance.

Good evening gang!

Spent most of the day in the train room, assembling new benchwork and installing shelving under the benchwork. It's coming along nicely. Used the new Dewalt replacement batteries with the screw gun and the drill with the hole saw. Gave em a good workout and they performed admirably.

My wife and I just celebrated our 56th wedding anniversary. Is she just really patient or not too bright?
We decided long ago that divorce was not an option, but death or dismemberment is.
Congrats Mikey for your brides fortitude and grace. Still can't figure out what she sees in you other than she has no place to hide the body! LOL!!

SD60I Hollofield 8-26-04.jpg

Another shot from the B&O old Main line. This is a location just outside of Ellicott City MD, an area known a Hollowfield, in the summer of 2004.

Hollofield 8-26-04 westbound.jpg

As the train passed, the remains of B&O CPL signals lay in the weeds. Just around the bend the replacement signals are operational.

New signal.jpg

CPL signal replacements , west of Sykesville. (no, that's not me)
Yes they work, but they have no character, no pizazz, boring!

Divorce is always expensive, monetarily and emotionally,death I get,but dismemberment lol I think that. A step too far, still his diet does mean his lighter. nah I’ll keep him we squabble like three year olds sometimes,but my youngest does with his recently new girlfriend and I am sure it means they have what it takes to last. Plus if they break up I will threaten to keep her lol.
I can only do 30 plus, 56 is awesome! and the other half says he would have been out of gaol by now if he HAD committed murder lol.
Congrats to you and the wife :)
patient? Not too bright? She probably thinks the same, LOl. love my dear is the only thing that ties us in……although stupidity may come a close second 😜 LMAO.
Cheers and here’s wishing you more,and enough health to enjoy them.
………………………….

As A side, anyone scared of dementia in any flavour e.g. Parkinson’s etc consider dropping sugar, it is now being linked. Even reducing sugar to a couple of times a day,ie at meals not snacking/consuming e.g. not heaped in regular tea or coffee could have a significant improvement. it is the regular spiking throughout the day that does the most damage. if overweight avoid fruit juice the fructose honestly is really bad for. You. OJ every morning is NOT good. Sorry lecture over.

I wonder if it's because you observe the golden rules.

1. The wife is always right.
2. When she's wrong, refer to rule 1. 🤣

Congratulations 🎊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back