Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck my friend. If the DMV is anything like ours, you may want to pack a lunch

I went to our driver's license division yesterday to renew my license, which had expired last Fridy. They have you create an appointment, which only really allows you to get in the queue ahead of the walk-ins. But I showed up and was back at my car 15 minutes later, including waiting a few slots for my turn. Fastest I've ever been in and out.

WTH is PICKLEBALL ?? Did I fall asleep again?

A game that has swept the nation. I've never played but it is quite popular around here and I've seen "pickleball" courts at a few resorts we've stayed at.

Good morning Crew from So. Central Wisconsin where today’s weather event might give us 1” of white stuff. Yes a weather “event” of less than an inch. That used to be a normal thing in Wisconsin Winters, not really worth mentioning, jeez…

Today is a soda run at 2 of the local grocery stores. Dr Pepper products are 4- 6 packs of 16.9oz bottles and Pepsi products are 4 for $11 at another store, today and tomorrow. I will buy the limits on both days. My stash is getting low.

That’s it, some weathering work on 1 car to finish it off. It’s 2 companion cars though will not be here until tomorrow.

enjoy the day

In Utah the DMV and the Driver's License Division are two separate organizations. Probably part of the same larger state government organization probably but the DMV and your driver's license needs are two separate things and have at times been in different locations, though they tend to be in two separate areas of the same state building complex now. Our local driver's license was a different location until a month ago but now they are on opposite sides of the same large complex.

The DMV handles all the vehicle registrations and obviously the driver's license division handles the people side.

Today is a soda run at 2 of the local grocery stores. Dr Pepper products are 4- 6 packs of 16.9oz bottles and Pepsi products are 4 for $11 at another store, today and tomorrow. I will buy the limits on both days. My stash is getting low.

We used to see deals like that but my son said the last time he went on a deal it was 3 12-packs (cans) for $14 or something... Luckily I still have the majority of my last summer/fall purchase as I don't drink it very often at home.

Ridiculous for some sugar water (or fake-sugar water)

Good Morning All. It's 42° and actually raining enough that I can see drops! Started about 0500. It's the first rainfall since December 13 when I got almost a half inch. A winter weather advisory is in effect until at least midnight. Closest snow is about 100 miles north in Oklahoma City and more than 150 miles west in the Texas Panhandle. The whole system is moving SW to NE, so who knows! TV weather people were going absolute bonkers last night. I predict that if we see any snow at all, it will be after sunset and it will melt as it hits the ground. The wet bridges will freeze overnight if they are still wet. TXDOT applied de-icing chemicals to the Interstate bridges only, yesterday afternoon; I don't know enough about them to know whether the rain will wash it away before it freezes. Regular roads and the ground are still too warm for any real accumulation.

Well so much for my weather. Of course since it's going to be raining, I have a doctor appointment today at 1300. It's finally the follow-up with the pulmonologist that I saw in early December.

Wife and I went to Outback last night to take advantage of some gift cards that we received for something. It could have been a disaster though! I am not sure that they were expecting the crowd that they had, or some servers didn't show up. We were the third of five tables that our waiter had going when the obviously rookie hostess sat two more parties back to back, giving him 7 tables. I saw him having words with her and the manager just after she did that. In her defense, I believe that she was relying on that computer screen at the hostess stand and didn't realize that he was covering two stations. There was only one other server on our side of the restaurant who was juggling at least 5. Their usual workload is four staggered tables. Our waiter did a good job dealing with it, fortunately there were two "runners" and the manager bringing stuff out to the tables. I personally handed him a 25% cash tip so he didn't have to split it.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the layout clean up project. I'm still along the north wall, getting to the four industries served by rail on the west side of the tracks. Miracle Manufacturing is a furniture manufacturer and I made the structure out of Pikestuff wall parts.
IMG_7365.JPG

Next to it is Federal Cold Storage, I think that Walther's calls it Brook Hill Dairy.
IMG_6331.JPG

Acme Chemical is another of those Magnuson resin structures. The name escapes me at the moment.
04-22-19 005.JPG

Loy Distributing is a beverage distributor. Half the place is made from DPM walls, while the unloading warehouse is a generic warehouse that may have come from Pikestuff. The backstory is that the original wooden unloading facility burned down years ago and the metal structure was built in it's place.
IMG_7327.JPG

I need a better picture of this complex. Note in a couple of pictures, I just taped background buildings to the backdrop. I got those from here. There are hundreds to choose from on this 2012 thread by Tomkat.

Troy - i have no problem with the original Pink Floyd album cover, but the 50th anniversary logo kinda sucks. It's ugly.
Jeff - Nice bartering there.
James - IIRC, one of the signs in the Medusa Cement kit is for Hoffa Cement.
Sherrel -
WTH is PICKLEBALL ?? Did I fall asleep again?
It's kind of a combination of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong. See Pickleball. It's big with my daughter's generation.

Everybody have a great day.

and your entire life savings... I hear that Florida makes up for their lack of income tax with all sorts of "fees" to get government forms...
Actually it is not that bad at all. I lived in Florida over a 17 year period. I lived in 5 different states and well as for fees and being a state with no state income tax it pretty darn good. I lived in WI, NC, AR, NY and FL.

Troy - i have no problem with the original Pink Floyd album cover, but the 50th anniversary logo kinda sucks. It's ugly.
Yeah... I feel like they could have put the triangle inside the 5 and had it flash the rainbow to the 0 or such.

Sherril: Pickleball... Play tennis with ping pong paddles and a whiffle ball, on a smaller court. That's Pickleball.

We used to see deals like that but my son said the last time he went on a deal it was 3 12-packs (cans) for $14 or something...
That's gone "sky high" around here with everything else! Last year it was 4-12 packs for $11.00.
I did see one store that had 3 twelve packs for 12 dollars. I have sort of developed a liken for Diet Ginger Ale and Bourbon and the lcal SIL is always lookng for a diet coke!

Thanks for the pickleball lesson -- too bad I am no longer able to do stuff like that. I miss it all!

We used to see deals like that but my son said the last time he went on a deal it was 3 12-packs (cans) for $14 or something... Luckily I still have the majority of my last summer/fall purchase as I don't drink it very often at home.

Ridiculous for some sugar water (or fake-sugar water)
I remember 4-6 packs of 24oz Dr Pepper before Covid at $7.00. Now there are no more 24oz bottles and the sale prices are rare. Pepsi 24 pack of 12oz cans yesterday when I went shopping was $14.99. I will go back to water before I pay that.

That’s why today and tomorrow I will stock up.

Working from home today folks. No weather to speak of at the moment. The sun was out for a few minutes this morning. Currently it's 35° F and it's supposed to get warmer on Friday and Saturday we shall see. I think it will be just mid 30s and no preciptation of any kind. That's fine. We do have weather coming tomorrow a mix of rain and snow yet again. Today will get ot a high of 37° F.

Well I have been working on a few small items. Programing and testing locomotives late last night when I couldn't sleep. I uploaded 2 new videos to my YouTube for ya'll to view nothing special just a short quick clip for sound and lighting work.

I am getting better at programing. I am still working on mastering sound levels though, that takes a bit of time. I am trying not to make it so darn loud that everything running can be drowned out into one loud mess. Having the decibel meter I bought a few weeks back really helps.

4 days to go! Road trip coming! Been checking and reviewing my lists. I went thru all my parts list for decoders and such. Building material too. I can't remember how good the selection was for paints and weathering we shall see as I will be looking that stuff over. I need some more decals too. A lot of the time they have decals there pennies on the dollar.

I will be packing a lunch and drinks. I like how we can go in and out whenever through out the day to take a break or charge phone etc. When I get there I always arrive early to get the closest parking near one of the 5 entrances so I do not worry about walking huge distances. I carry a back pack for my stuff and purchases to make life easier. They have canopies to connect the 5 buildings too. I also bring my laptop but I leave it secured in my truck. I use it to check certain things like my inventory list etc. I do use my phone too but sometimes it is better to see it on a bigger screen. I will of course take pictures and videos. Now that I created a channel for trains on my YouTube I can upload it there. I was going to spend the night there like I did in previous years but this time I will do just Saturday although I can change my mind too lol. We will see. For dinner I usually go to Chick-Fil-A.

Ok well I gotta get back to work and deal with a few items. The I will take and early afternon off to mess with trains lol.

Later ya'll

Willie -- Very nice layout shots today. I like what you have done with the background buildings.
Your rail coloring fits in nicely too!

I don't think I mentioned it the other day ... our breakfast the other day with tip came to $78.00.
My heart is stronger than I imagined! I did give a full 20% - which with the increased prices - I feel is too much, but the Spousal Unit insists on tipping well -- and I have to admit that the service was exceptional.
It just strikes me wrong that a tip on a meal being more than I would make in a day in the oil field!

I have returned from the DMV office, where absolutely nothing happened. After 3.5 hours.
Their system is offline, and they can't do anything at all.
Also, they can't transfer my out of state registration, since there is a lien. The lienholder has to do that.
Talk about an utter waste of time...

I have returned from the DMV office, where absolutely nothing happened. After 3.5 hours.
Their system is offline, and they can't do anything at all.
Also, they can't transfer my out of state registration, since there is a lien. The lienholder has to do that.
Talk about an utter waste of time...

That's strange. When I've moved with a lien I had no problems registering with the new state. They just wanted the lienholder for the new title and they sent the lienholder the title. The old title from the old state, which I had to have (and which I am sure they can cross reference through some sort of inter state computer network) had the lien holder on it.

The wonders of the DMV and every state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back