Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning fellers. Figured I'd stop in for a bit. Went the the lhs yesterday to hit up their bargain section. By far the least I've ever spent there. Scored some bridge abutments, Ernst gears, and some metal handrails. My total was $9.52. I have never spent so little at lhs and gotten so much. There were some other items of interest there as well. They are selling baggies of old athearn blue box shells for $5. Get about 5 shells per bag. In good condition. Better than what can be had on eBay for sure. Selling out of the box proto 2000 locomotives for $25 each. I picked up one awhile back to replace the frame and drive mechanism on one of my Protos. I didn't even have to change out the gears. I did anyways to stay on the safe side. I will truly miss this place when I move. However it's not too far that I can't come back up. We are keeping the kids doctors here. So I suppose I can make a quick stop to score some more stuff.
IMG_20230120_190159863.jpg
Here's what I scored yesterday. That's all I have for now. I'll stop by again when I get a chance.

Well howdy there internet peeps, and those who rock an awesome air guitar

It's Troy again

Yesterday was a day of driving Mom to see the doc. Just to break up the text below, I'm adding in some pics of my dwarves for the wargaming. this is what I'll be working to clear from my workbench this weekend.

Seems Mom had some tummy issues a week or two ago that had her on the toilet a lot. She panicked seeing blood on the toilet tissue and got a doctor referral to a gastroenterologist.

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 7.13.35 AM.png

We'd been trying to tell mom that she'd probably wiped herself raw a few places, hence the blood. BUT she had the appt so I drove in 1.5 hours to drive her to the appointment (this one is 5 minutes from her Senior Community).

After playing 500 diagnosing questions with the doc, he told her the same thing. Not having problems the last week, and the blood not appearing in the bowl, nor after she slowed the toilet usage... probably aggravated hemorrhoids... You should really get a colonoscopy.

Then I directed him to the part of her records showing that she has ongoing afib, and is on blood thinners.

That changed his tone a bit. He started talking about how she might not be strong enough to survive a procedure like a colonoscopy.

Mom, being a transplant patient (from '94) has had to endure that procedure every five years. She's past due thanks to the lockdown. And in no hurry to get another. And, with the afib, her mental clarity is still only about 80% of her normal speed.

This is the first time I've heard the docs shift into what I'll call "approaching the final" conversations. They, and we, have realized that her body is starting the final trip (maybe two) around the sun. She's not ready mentally for that yet. But her body is giving her the first few warning bells. It will be a while before her mind catches up, though.

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 7.13.25 AM.png

And in other news: We had the rest of the gooey pizza last night for supper. I definitely earned it spending all that time in the car for a doctor visit with mom.And my hip pain is back. But different. Instead of pain down the leg, this one is diagonal under my buttock. The Piriformis Muscle? And, yes, that's the side I keep my wallet in the back pocket on. I should have taken it out for the drive.

back to stretching, alieve, and maybe the heating pad.

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 7.13.04 AM.png

S
Well howdy there internet peeps, and those who rock an awesome air guitar

It's Troy again

Yesterday was a day of driving Mom to see the doc. Just to break up the text below, I'm adding in some pics of my dwarves for the wargaming. this is what I'll be working to clear from my workbench this weekend.

Seems Mom had some tummy issues a week or two ago that had her on the toilet a lot. She panicked seeing blood on the toilet tissue and got a doctor referral to a gastroenterologist.

View attachment 160358

We'd been trying to tell mom that she'd probably wiped herself raw a few places, hence the blood. BUT she had the appt so I drove in 1.5 hours to drive her to the appointment (this one is 5 minutes from her Senior Community).

After playing 500 diagnosing questions with the doc, he told her the same thing. Not having problems the last week, and the blood not appearing in the bowl, nor after she slowed the toilet usage... probably aggravated hemorrhoids... You should really get a colonoscopy.

Then I directed him to the part of her records showing that she has ongoing afib, and is on blood thinners.

That changed his tone a bit. He started talking about how she might not be strong enough to survive a procedure like a colonoscopy.

Mom, being a transplant patient (from '94) has had to endure that procedure every five years. She's past due thanks to the lockdown. And in no hurry to get another. And, with the afib, her mental clarity is still only about 80% of her normal speed.

This is the first time I've heard the docs shift into what I'll call "approaching the final" conversations. They, and we, have realized that her body is starting the final trip (maybe two) around the sun. She's not ready mentally for that yet. But her body is giving her the first few warning bells. It will be a while before her mind catches up, though.

View attachment 160359

And in other news: We had the rest of the gooey pizza last night for supper. I definitely earned it spending all that time in the car for a doctor visit with mom.And my hip pain is back. But different. Instead of pain down the leg, this one is diagonal under my buttock. The Piriformis Muscle? And, yes, that's the side I keep my wallet in the back pocket on. I should have taken it out for the drive.

back to stretching, alieve, and maybe the heating pad.

View attachment 160360
Sorry to hear about your mom :(

Morning fellers. Figured I'd stop in for a bit. Went the the lhs yesterday to hit up their bargain section. By far the least I've ever spent there. Scored some bridge abutments, Ernst gears, and some metal handrails. My total was $9.52. I have never spent so little at lhs and gotten so much. There were some other items of interest there as well. They are selling baggies of old athearn blue box shells for $5. Get about 5 shells per bag. In good condition. Better than what can be had on eBay for sure. Selling out of the box proto 2000 locomotives for $25 each. I picked up one awhile back to replace the frame and drive mechanism on one of my Protos. I didn't even have to change out the gears. I did anyways to stay on the safe side. I will truly miss this place when I move. However it's not too far that I can't come back up. We are keeping the kids doctors here. So I suppose I can make a quick stop to score some more stuff.
View attachment 160361
Here's what I scored yesterday. That's all I have for now. I'll stop by again when I get a chance.
Nice haul you got,:)

Good morning gang!

41° and sunny, heading to a high of 48° later. Drove lil Red to work this morning, had it washed and dried by 7 a.m.. That followed by coffee and donuts and 2 customers so far at 8:30 this morning. Easy Saturday I hope.

Checking this mornings online purchase drag race. The replacement soft tonneau cover for lil Red is set for Fedex delivery today, ordered 12/30/22 with an 18-20 day manufacturing window. Replacement batteries for my Dewalt drill is set for UPS delivery today ordered 1/16. Air blower for Christmas inflatable Grinch (ordered 1/3) has made it from China to New York as of yesterday, and my Etsy crossing gates (ordered 1/2) still don't have a ship date yet. However, it does show a delivery due date of January 30. We'll see.

My money says UPS will deliver today, Fedex is hit or miss with on time delivery in our part of the woods.

After work, hitting Home Depot and also gonna see a man about a She-Shed for SWMBO to butt up against the back of the garage. This is so SWMBO can get her crap out of the garage so it can be used for parking cars again (novel concept that is foreign to females, sorry Jaz)

BBL

Good morning modelers, writers turned turned gamer to medical assistance driver, lucky bargain bin buyers and anyone else. I promised myself a day off from the weathering bench and stupidly the whole hobby area. I did not say anything about staying off the internet. Slept late again today, 7:45 instead of 6

Had the granddaughter over for dinner last night as mom was working the concession stand for the local high school hockey game. The SIL with the grandson was going to watch the game. The g/d really can’t handle the noise unless she has noise cancelling head phones on. She watches enough of her brother play on weekends so she doesn’t need HS games. Sloppy Joes are one of my few specialities besides steak. plus fries of coures. My grill on the deck is still frozen under a layer of ice, I will handle that today.

2pm today and tomorrow are hockey games on campus. #8 Wisconsin Women Hockey has lost 5 in a roll, 1 game to #4 at the time, then 2 in a row to #3 and last week 2 in a row to #1. So they have fallen from the #2ranking 3 weeks ago to the lowest I have seen since we started going to games in 2010 and getting season tickets starting in 2015, #8. Still a very good but a young team with average goaltenders in a very tough league and one of the toughest (on purpose) schedules.

Did I really say no weathering…

I made some progress yesterday with my mini tractor. For the past 3 years, or so, the rear PTO solenoid was seized up. I'm selling a few sound bars we don't use anymore, and ended up bartering with a John Deere Mechanic who came out and had the right tools to get to the little valve/piston/do-hickey. He also told me what size socket to get so I can do it myself again later if I have to. All I needed was a 1and1/16" thin walled deep socket. BUt for 3 years, I couldn't find any reference on teh internet for the size of the nut I needed to get to, and I had no way to reach in there to measure it. I either had to "already know" what I needed, or been lucky already have such an unusual socket.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 47°. Rain mysteriously appeared in the forecast for today, maybe because it's 20 miles west and moving in this direction. On the radar, it appears to be very light and short-lived; probably be here and gone in another hour or so. I woke up about 0400 this morning, read some posts here and some news over on MSN, laid on the couch at 0500 and slept until 0700.

Train show in the northern suburb of Dallas called Plano. I haven't been since 2019. There usually isn't a lot of bargains there. It's mostly local and nearby (TX, OK, and KS) stores and internet dealers with their normal 20% off MSRP. There are 18 modular clubs there with layouts, and this year there's only about a third of the home & club layouts on the tour that there used to be, just 11 this year and only about half are open both days. Add to that is that they're spread out over 1800 sq. mi.! I'll go to two that are within 10 miles of the show that are open today. One is a club that I have been to before, the other is a home layout that I may have been to? If that goes quickly, I may drive over to Ft Worth to see the new location of the Texas Western Model Railroad Club. They're only open on Saturday. They used to be located in a warehouse in the back of an air conditioning supply business, but had to move when the owner died and the family sold the business. I think that the family gave them a year to move which they easily accomplished. Their photo gallery is a little quirky to use, but it has some excellent pictures.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued the structure cleaning process.
I started with a few that I left in place because I didn't feel like disconnecting the building lights to remove them. Starting with Old Mill Feed & Seed.
01-27-19 011.JPG

Next door is the Lewiston Grain Coop. Note in the background is the Medusa Cement Co., which I also didn't remove.
09-05-20 001.JPG

Next door to that is a small tire repair shop from Bar Mills, Magee's Tire Repair.
07-25-16.1 017.JPG

Over on the workbench, I added couplers to my imported Heineken car that has NEM coupler pockets.
This was possible because Chris (Smudge) sent me some NEM couplers from across the pond before their postal catastrophe. They arrived Thursday.
IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2771.JPG

Thanks once again Chris. I used the #20 extra long (11.68 mm), but I believe that I can go back and use the #19 long (10.76 mm) ones instead.

Chad - All I purchase is brown eggs any more. I raised my own chickens from 1980-1996 and they were all brown egg layers. We briefly went back to white eggs from the grocery store, but that didn't last long.
Curt - Have a safe trip.

Radar shows that it is raining here right now, but I was just out and nothing.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 47°. Rain mysteriously appeared in the forecast for today, maybe because it's 20 miles west and moving in this direction. On the radar, it appears to be very light and short-lived; probably be here and gone in another hour or so. I woke up about 0400 this morning, read some posts here and some news over on MSN, laid on the couch at 0500 and slept until 0700.

Train show in the northern suburb of Dallas called Plano. I haven't been since 2019. There usually isn't a lot of bargains there. It's mostly local and nearby (TX, OK, and KS) stores and internet dealers with their normal 20% off MSRP. There are 18 modular clubs there with layouts, and this year there's only about a third of the home & club layouts on the tour that there used to be, just 11 this year and only about half are open both days. Add to that is that they're spread out over 1800 sq. mi.! I'll go to two that are within 10 miles of the show that are open today. One is a club that I have been to before, the other is a home layout that I may have been to? If that goes quickly, I may drive over to Ft Worth to see the new location of the Texas Western Model Railroad Club. They're only open on Saturday. They used to be located in a warehouse in the back of an air conditioning supply business, but had to move when the owner died and the family sold the business. I think that the family gave them a year to move which they easily accomplished. Their photo gallery is a little quirky to use, but it has some excellent pictures.

I started with a few that I left in place because I didn't feel like disconnecting the building lights to remove them. Starting with Old Mill Feed & Seed.
View attachment 160362
Next door is the Lewiston Grain Coop. Note in the background is the Medusa Cement Co., which I also didn't remove.
View attachment 160363
Next door to that is a small tire repair shop from Bar Mills, Magee's Tire Repair.
View attachment 160364
Over on the workbench, I added couplers to my imported Heineken car that has NEM coupler pockets.
This was possible because Chris (Smudge) sent me some NEM couplers from across the pond before their postal catastrophe. They arrived Thursday.
View attachment 160365View attachment 160366
Thanks once again Chris. I used the #20 extra long (11.68 mm), but I believe that I can go back and use the #19 long (10.76 mm) ones instead.

Chad - All I purchase is brown eggs any more. I raised my own chickens from 1980-1996 and they were all brown egg layers. We briefly went back to white eggs from the grocery store, but that didn't last long.
Curt - Have a safe trip.

I wasn't 100% sure if that had NEM pockets, hence the other "bits" 🥳 Glad you didn't need them

View attachment 160362
View attachment 160363
View attachment 160364
View attachment 160365View attachment 160366

Curt - Have a safe trip.

Brown eggs were cheaper yesterday then the normal white ones we buy, so I purchased a dozen. I am going to crack open a couple in a few minutes

I made some progress yesterday with my mini tractor. For the past 3 years, or so, the rear PTO solenoid was seized up. I'm selling a few sound bars we don't use anymore, and ended up bartering with a John Deere Mechanic who came out and had the right tools to get to the little valve/piston/do-hickey. He also told me what size socket to get so I can do it myself again later if I have to. All I needed was a 1and1/16" thin walled deep socket. BUt for 3 years, I couldn't find any reference on teh internet for the size of the nut I needed to get to, and I had no way to reach in there to measure it. I either had to "already know" what I needed, or been lucky already have such an unusual socket.
Look at it this way, he saved you from buying a socket you may never need again. I've got a 32mm deep well 1/2 inch drive socket that I only needed once 15 years ago. I doubt I will ever use it again, other than as a paperweight.

Look at it this way, he saved you from buying a socket you may never need again. I've got a 32mm deep well 1/2 inch drive socket that I only needed once 15 years ago. I doubt I will ever use it again, other than as a paperweight.
Still have some expensive pipe taps, I needed for my first house, back in 1972. One was used once, the other was never used. Been in the tool chest ever since. :rolleyes::oops:

Greetings to all music lovers. We have a chilly 35f up from a low of 32 earlier. Expected high of 64f with an awesome clear sunny day.

I been up for 4 hours - just reading post after post! I gotta stop that - leaves me drained to post anything myself.

I'll stick with Willie Nelson - he can play an awesome guitar - and I can understaand the words he is singing - LOL.
The Nassau performance by the 'Outlaws' in the early 90's is my fav.

I'm out of here - taking the Spousal Unit out for B'fast this morning.
BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back