Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from Wisconsin. Most of the white stuff that was about 16” officially deep last week is gone. Yesterday we reached 53f degree with a strong sun and calm wind. Today the high might be 32, it’s cloudy and the wind is howling at 20mph.

Yesterday the SIL and I went over to talk to a guy looking for a job and needing to sell his trains. He’s what we want but he’s not going to fit in and didn’t act like he wanted or needed the job. I did look at his trains and offered him a deal to help him out and he thought I was cheating him. We left after purchasing nothing. I have a good idea what freight cars in HO go for as I buy and sell all the time. Walthers Mainline preowned without boxes and parts missing are not worth $42. Proto preowned missing couplers are not worth $55. He had lots of ST rivet counters but I can buy new for a few bucks less then he was selling. He was using full retail when online or at dealers they go for 12% less then suggested retail. It was disappointing especially as I was willing to take it all to help out his situation. He believes his BB selection is a gold mine but $15 per kit is not going to happen and he was determined that was the price. But, it was not to be.

Today, especially this morning will be some bench time. I clear coated 6 cars yesterday to start the weathering process. Today they all will get faded to varying degrees. Later tonight I will pop the wheelsets, tune the trucks and rust those up.

I will head to a op session from 11 to 4:30 with a supplied 30 minute lunch break. Email last night confirmed the time. I did say no to attending a 1st time New Year’s Day session that would have been a split session of about 7 hours plus 1 hour lunch session. That’s too long for me. I have been to one of his 3 hour sessions and they move lots of trains, I can image the NY day session will be the same

enjoy the day

Good Morning. Last Happy Friday of 2022...where did it go so fast? 41° and sunny, going to 58°. So much better than last week, eh?

Last night, the Caps blew a 3-2 lead in the third, and lost to Ottawa in OT, 4-3 :( Ovie did get another goal,his 23rd of the season. ;)

I was down in the train room yesterday, and I realized how many units are still default programed to run on 0003, when two F7s an E8 and a GP9 all began to move. I need to finish wiring the engine house area and the program track...l Working on an upgrade to an Athearn 50' BB Gondola, one of the PB&NE set from the 90s,which included two gonds and a SW-7 all painted for the Beth Steel's Philadelphia Bethlehem and New England short line, which served the now defunct Bethlehem, PA steel mill.

Terry: Hoping things work out...you have already had a rough year.

The railfan community that follows Conrail operations radiating out of Browns Yard, in Old Bridge/Sayerville, NJ, has begun referring to my old assignment, SA-31 as "America's Train", and closely monitor it's passing certain points.

12-29-22 SA31 On Navasink River Bridge headed for Bank - Marc Pitanza Photo.jpg

Conrail SA31 with CSX 4451and 10 Interchange cars for the C&D at Red Bank, NJ, passes over Navesink River Trestle on the approach to "CP Bank", and Red Bank yard, on 12/29/2022. Michael Guida photo.

Well - Let's see what is going on around here for the "almost" end of the year.
The Spousal Unit is still over the hill in NEWPORT; I thought about going over to join her for a dinner and then drive back afterwards, but decided that I didn't need to waste the gasoline and another expensive dinner - my wallet is VERY flat this year after Christmas shopping for everyone and then giving last minute donations to several charities, namely: Shriners, St Jude,T2T, SA, DAV, and several animal rescues -- oh -- and don't forget replacing the four digit water heater. Spousal Unit got an Apple Watch that does everything except make coffee (she hinted several times during the year) and all the daughters and SIL's got a "BEN" from me and all I got was a T-Shirt! Seriously, all I wished for was a radiant electric heater so the Spousal Unit won't fuss at me over the heat - I cannot take the 68-70 that she prefers.

It's been a few lousy days here and the solar is slipping behind usage which generally happens - I am too use to the heat and full sun. Cloudy and dreary looking days lower my spirit. For heaven's sake - if it is going to be like this - then rain - we need water - not clouds!
I forgot to bring additional firewood into the garage to keep dry. We usually go thru not quite a half cord each year - only have a fire every now and then. Lately there has been a decree that outlawed wood burning fireplaces several days last week; I rightly don't know if it is still in effect or not, just more "big brother" BS to have to put up with.

TERRY - I pray that your son and or family does not have an illness to contend with?

JOE - Nice pic - always enjoy your 1:1 photos!

Good morning from Wisconsin. Most of the white stuff that was about 16” officially deep last week is gone. Yesterday we reached 53f degree with a strong sun and calm wind. Today the high might be 32, it’s cloudy and the wind is howling at 20mph.

Yesterday the SIL and I went over to talk to a guy looking for a job and needing to sell his trains. He’s what we want but he’s not going to fit in and didn’t act like he wanted or needed the job. I did look at his trains and offered him a deal to help him out and he thought I was cheating him. We left after purchasing nothing. I have a good idea what freight cars in HO go for as I buy and sell all the time. Walthers Mainline preowned without boxes and parts missing are not worth $42. Proto preowned missing couplers are not worth $55. He had lots of ST rivet counters but I can buy new for a few bucks less then he was selling. He was using full retail when online or at dealers they go for 12% less then suggested retail. It was disappointing especially as I was willing to take it all to help out his situation. He believes his BB selection is a gold mine but $15 per kit is not going to happen and he was determined that was the price. But, it was not to be.

Today, especially this morning will be some bench time. I clear coated 6 cars yesterday to start the weathering process. Today they all will get faded to varying degrees. Later tonight I will pop the wheelsets, tune the trucks and rust those up.

I will head to a op session from 11 to 4:30 with a supplied 30 minute lunch break. Email last night confirmed the time. I did say no to attending a 1st time New Year’s Day session that would have been a split session of about 7 hours plus 1 hour lunch session. That’s too long for me. I have been to one of his 3 hour sessions and they move lots of trains, I can image the NY day session will be the same

enjoy the day
Tom: Amazing how people react to stuff. From your description - guy really was not looking for a job. It could be that he was testing the waters so to speak. I have always relied on my 1st impression in these cases - and usually can feel if there was determination or not. If not, I state something like - "you don't really act like you are interested in anything I have said or what I have to offer", then "Why are you wasting my time?". After that they either stomp out cuz I called them on the attitude - or the attitude changes and we get down and talk.

As to the trains stuff. Sometimes people just can't see the forest through the trees. Since it sounds like he really didn't want or need a job, he probably has some sort of financial backup; SO, Parents ...etc. If there was stuff in his lot that you actually wanted, you might touch base with him again and explain your side of things and that you buy and sell all kinds of train stuff almost everyday and know what stuff is worth and what it could go for and to "keep me in mind".

And a 7 hour OP session? - geesh, that should include lunch AND dinner with a nap somewhere in there. I have done 4 hours a couple of times at the not so local club - boy, I was beat after that and still had to drive 150 miles home.

Later

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 44°. Continued fair weather until a 97% chance of rain Monday morning and then a cool front overnight Tuesday. Continued shorts and tee shirt weather until Tuesday, and will resume Friday with fair weather once again. So far with the exception of three days before Christmas, it's been my kind of winter.

Grocery trek yesterday went well until the end. There were no manned checkout lanes. Earlier during my trek through the store, I saw the two best checkers along with the store manager setting up a seasonal display at the far end of the store. Just my luck, when I started bagging up my groceries, one of them came up front and opened a register. I certainly let my feelings be known in the online survey after I got home. Gasoline prices have been going back up all over town, now in the $2.85-$2.89/gallon all over the place.

Thanks for the many reactions to yesterday's progress report.

No real visible progress out in the train shed yesterday. I did add more ground cover to the tracks alongside the Ethanol facility and I made some progress rehabbing the fermentation tanks that I plan on using. The last thing that I did before coming in was to spray-paint them with some Krylon white primer - let's see what they look like today. So far I have used a half tube of Testor's Contour Putty.
How about some really random scenes today.
Next to the unnamed casket company.
IMG_7128.JPG

By the derelict barn.
IMG_7131.JPG

Hanky panky out back of the condo.
IMG_7307.JPG

Joe - Yes, those hedgerows are nice. A lot easier than using tufts of Woodland Scenics Very Coarse Foam.
Troy - No I did not watch any of the J6 hearings at all. Congressional hearings test my patience and I always have more important stuff to do. I did follow some of it via transcripts on the Internet. January 6 was an abominable event. While there may have been election irregularities in many states, I don't think that the sum would have changed the election. I think that the hearings would have been more fair if the opposition party's original slate of Representatives was accepted instead of the position taken by the Speaker. But then the hearings would have been more contentious and circus-like than they were. I think that there are problems from both sides. As we are about to see, "Payback is Hell". It's a shame.
Jaz - Politics and reality in the UK are certainly screwed up right now. Your view is quite interesting. While I see a recession on your side of the pond, I don't think that it will hit here as hard, at least it won't be widespread.
Mike - Congratulations and good luck with the new job.
Chrιstιaη - Don't tell me that you're on the "Highway to Hell".
Tom O - Too bad for the guy looking for a job and needing to sell his trains. Greed can be a deal-breaker. Did you make an offer that he may come back to later?
Enjoy the op-session.

Today is National Bacon Day. Need I say more?
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Reminder to me once again to hit "Post reply" when done!

Good Morning All!
31F @93% and snowing ... again. 40F, 41F today and tomorra, then downward starting Sunday.

Snow shrunk to about 13" on the ground in the last couple of days - big flakes coming down now, so much for shrinkage!

Hope to get the rest of the new light fixtures up and wired in the train cave today or tomorra. Then tidy up the breaker box. After that, start of bench work. Looking forward to that.

Track plan is still pretty much in limbo - know were the bench work is located so I suspect that when it gets in, I will get more work done on the track plan as I am a 'touchy-feely' type and can't just do stuff according to drawings. I have even been thinking about a full scale print of the lower bench work, then tape it to the floor just to get the feel of stuff. I am pretty sure that I can meet my isle-way distances and main line radius minimum of 36" when it needs to scrunch down. We will see.

Finally got to witness Maverick - good movie. Cruise is getting old. Where did Penny come from? Don't remember her in the original and her kid was not old enough to be his?

Later

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 44°. Continued fair weather until a 97% chance of rain Monday morning and then a cool front overnight Tuesday. Continued shorts and tee shirt weather until Tuesday, and will resume Friday with fair weather once again. So far with the exception of three days before Christmas, it's been my kind of winter.

Grocery trek yesterday went well until the end. There were no manned checkout lanes. Earlier during my trek through the store, I saw the two best checkers along with the store manager setting up a seasonal display at the far end of the store. Just my luck, when I started bagging up my groceries, one of them came up front and opened a register. I certainly let my feelings be known in the online survey after I got home. Gasoline prices have been going back up all over town, now in the $2.85-$2.89/gallon all over the place.

Thanks for the many reactions to yesterday's progress report.

No real visible progress out in the train shed yesterday. I did add more ground cover to the tracks alongside the Ethanol facility and I made some progress rehabbing the fermentation tanks that I plan on using. The last thing that I did before coming in was to spray-paint them with some Krylon white primer - let's see what they look like today. So far I have used a half tube of Testor's Contour Putty.
How about some really random scenes today.
Next to the unnamed casket company.
View attachment 158830
By the derelict barn.
View attachment 158831
Hanky panky out back of the condo.
View attachment 158832

Joe - Yes, those hedgerows are nice. A lot easier than using tufts of Woodland Scenics Very Coarse Foam.
Troy - No I did not watch any of the J6 hearings at all. Congressional hearings test my patience and I always have more important stuff to do. I did follow some of it via transcripts on the Internet. January 6 was an abominable event. While there may have been election irregularities in many states, I don't think that the sum would have changed the election. I think that the hearings would have been more fair if the opposition party's original slate of Representatives was accepted instead of the position taken by the Speaker. But then the hearings would have been more contentious and circus-like than they were. I think that there are problems from both sides. As we are about to see, "Payback is Hell". It's a shame.
Jaz - Politics and reality in the UK are certainly screwed up right now. Your view is quite interesting. While I see a recession on your side of the pond, I don't think that it will hit here as hard, at least it won't be widespread.
Mike - Congratulations and good luck with the new job.
Chrιstιaη - Don't tell me that you're on the "Highway to Hell".
Tom O - Too bad for the guy looking for a job and needing to sell his trains. Greed can be a deal-breaker. Did you make an offer that he may come back to later?
Enjoy the op-session.

Today is National Bacon Day. Need I say more?
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Reminder to me once again to hit "Post reply" when done!
Willie. My SIL and I concluded he didn’t want a job, any job. It would have paid the highest of any of our non-manager jobs and includes decent insurance. Reduced housing costs and my offer on the trains made us realize while he is in desperate financial straits in actuality he doesn’t care. I know his dad fairly well and dad is is no shaper to help him. I never burn bridges but I may have occasionally blown one 2 up in the past. Our search will continue. The SIL disliked the attitude immediately and if he comes to us in the future the SIL and Isabel will make the final decision.

Forgive me, I did not have bacon this morning. I feel shamed on National Bacon Day.

Tom: Amazing how people react to stuff. From your description - guy really was not looking for a job. It could be that he was testing the waters so to speak. I have always relied on my 1st impression in these cases - and usually can feel if there was determination or not. If not, I state something like - "you don't really act like you are interested in anything I have said or what I have to offer", then "Why are you wasting my time?". After that they either stomp out cuz I called them on the attitude - or the attitude changes and we get down and talk.

As to the trains stuff. Sometimes people just can't see the forest through the trees. Since it sounds like he really didn't want or need a job, he probably has some sort of financial backup; SO, Parents ...etc. If there was stuff in his lot that you actually wanted, you might touch base with him again and explain your side of things and that you buy and sell all kinds of train stuff almost everyday and know what stuff is worth and what it could go for and to "keep me in mind".

And a 7 hour OP session? - geesh, that should include lunch AND dinner with a nap somewhere in there. I have done 4 hours a couple of times at the not so local club - boy, I was beat after that and still had to drive 150 miles home.

Later
Todd, the SIL disliked the attitude immediately, because I knew him as a teen and I know his dad, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We left when he decided to tell me I was taking advantage of his need to sell his trains. I think he blew a great opportunity. In the future if he comes to us he will deal with the SIL and Isabel and I doubt he could work under her leadership. He just had that vibe…

7 hours split with food in between isn’t that bad. But, at this layout running trains on time can get intense. That no longer is enjoyable to me. There is a group of model railroaders here in my part of Wisconsin and the LaCrosse area that run 4 hour sessions, break for a meal and head to another 4 hour session on another layout. But, it’s fun and relaxing. There is a annual New Years session coming up in that group that the spots were filled within hours of posting in September.

673C5328-8431-4766-91D2-06D1F207CAE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey ya'll!

Well I am a bit somber but all is ok. Aunt Ruth has passed this morning @ 1:00 AM. She was 100 years old. She had hoped to make it to 101 but her heart just couldn't keep her going. I did see her this past Wednesday so that was good as well as this past weekend. May she rest in peace and join her family as she was the last of 12 children to pass. Funeral arrangments will be made and will be next week.

Today being Friday, I stayed home to work a little bit on line. I will spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning house and getting ready for my nephews to come over for a pizza and movie nite. They want to watch Avatar tonight. Then we will go see Avatar 2 tomorrow at 4 pm. It is fine as I will be spending time with them and have lots of talk time tonight and tomorrow after the movies. Tonight we may have a few "Rum Bellie Vengance" if you do not know what that is.....look here. https://meetingsmags.com/signature-drink-rum-bellies-vengeance My family has actually been to the Dobbin House a few times lol. This time of the year it is a tradition to have these cocktails. It is absolutley delicious but potent. No one will be driving as they will be staying over in the guest room afterwards.

Snow, is all but gone. A few patches here and there around my property and else where. Warmer weather is welcomed. Mid to low 40's Grey gloomy today though. I will make a run to the grocery store later this afternoon and grab a few things for tonight. I will have to grab some bacon too! Thanks for the reminder Willie!

TomO well that was a bust on both accounts. You can lead the horse to the water but you cannot make him drink it. So maybe he will just sulk a few days and snap out of it? I doubt it. From what you described. Some people just don't get it. If he don't want to work then he fall like the rest that do and suck on the teat of the government benefits. Who knows why people make those choices. Regardless you are good man to make the offer to help on the job and purchase his trains. Too bad it didn't pan out. Karma has a way of coming around though.

My cats Doc & Wyatt are snoozing on my lap and side as I am typing this. They get spoiled when I work from home. These guys are like dogs. They will follow me where ever I go and always want to be in the same room with me and 90% on my lap or side touching me. They are very social too. When the nephews come over they will have a grand time. The boys always love the attention vice a versus. Wyatt likes to play fetch with his ball. Yup, I have a cat that will retrieve his ball and ask you to throw for him. It has a bell in it and it drives him crazy! LOL He actually has a couple dozen of these balls all through out the house. Doc like the feathers and the tiny stuffed mice with catnip or the stuffed fish that has a motor in it which twitches the tail.

Well I will read a little more. Then I am going to fix a little lunch. Then get going on my to do list for tonight. Everyone have a good afternoon and Friday night! I will check back later if time permits.

Again I wish ya'll a Happy New Year!

Peace

2 egg yolks
50g erithritol - Sweetner replacer or sugar if you must…faints
Vanilla extract…not flavouring yuk
400g heavy cream and/or almond milk or other dairy
whip top three
whip cream
mix
add to cebream mixer or put in glass dish and in freezer and stir as regularly as you can bother
optionsl whizz frozen berries,and coughs alcohol to taste….come on it has to freeze!
and scoff
thid Xmas I have blown mdiet several times even eaten sugar in chocolate…found a keto fererro rocher recipe YEAH I will photograph if I can fight family off long enough! anyway I am only 1/4 ib up…….I checked the scales I moved them and they are like yeah yeah you fine……I drank non Keto wine, f indulged it was usually fat, pork bellies, air dried pork, rey in cream and mushrooms, oh and nuts pistachios but I tried to keep the mixes right so food did not class if I scoffed lots of fat no carbs, if I scoffed lots of chocolate not too much brandy cream (well that may be the 1/4 ib!) but yep I failed my 19/5 fasts maybe got 12 hours easily, and just made more icecream, and to clean the bowls I make strawberry milkshake with the leftover…ok the word leftovers is generous I left lots of leftovers lol. And as I have not blown up like a balloon plan to indulge New Year’s Eve also, …..hmmm did we scoff ALL the Baleys?

Hey ya'll!

Well I am a bit somber but all is ok. Aunt Ruth has passed this morning @ 1:00 AM. She was 100 years old. She had hoped to make it to 101 but her heart just couldn't keep her going. I did see her this past Wednesday so that was good as well as this past weekend. May she rest in peace and join her family as she was the last of 12 children to pass. Funeral arrangments will be made and will be next week.

Today being Friday, I stayed home to work a little bit on line. I will spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning house and getting ready for my nephews to come over for a pizza and movie nite. They want to watch Avatar tonight. Then we will go see Avatar 2 tomorrow at 4 pm. It is fine as I will be spending time with them and have lots of talk time tonight and tomorrow after the movies. Tonight we may have a few "Rum Bellie Vengance" if you do not know what that is.....look here. https://meetingsmags.com/signature-drink-rum-bellies-vengeance My family has actually been to the Dobbin House a few times lol. This time of the year it is a tradition to have these cocktails. It is absolutley delicious but potent. No one will be driving as they will be staying over in the guest room afterwards.

Snow, is all but gone. A few patches here and there around my property and else where. Warmer weather is welcomed. Mid to low 40's Grey gloomy today though. I will make a run to the grocery store later this afternoon and grab a few things for tonight. I will have to grab some bacon too! Thanks for the reminder Willie!

TomO well that was a bust on both accounts. You can lead the horse to the water but you cannot make him drink it. So maybe he will just sulk a few days and snap out of it? I doubt it. From what you described. Some people just don't get it. If he don't want to work then he fall like the rest that do and suck on the teat of the government benefits. Who knows why people make those choices. Regardless you are good man to make the offer to help on the job and purchase his trains. Too bad it didn't pan out. Karma has a way of coming around though.

My cats Doc & Wyatt are snoozing on my lap and side as I am typing this. They get spoiled when I work from home. These guys are like dogs. They will follow me where ever I go and always want to be in the same room with me and 90% on my lap or side touching me. They are very social too. When the nephews come over they will have a grand time. The boys always love the attention vice a versus. Wyatt likes to play fetch with his ball. Yup, I have a cat that will retrieve his ball and ask you to throw for him. It has a bell in it and it drives him crazy! LOL He actually has a couple dozen of these balls all through out the house. Doc like the feathers and the tiny stuffed mice with catnip or the stuffed fish that has a motor in it which twitches the tail.

Well I will read a little more. Then I am going to fix a little lunch. Then get going on my to do list for tonight. Everyone have a good afternoon and Friday night! I will check back later if time permits.

Again I wish ya'll a Happy New Year!

Peace
Sorry for your loss, but I bet she had a great time making 100, the sights she must have seen. I bet when we were like oh oh recession…she thought quietly to herself try the Great Depression, or the Second World War. Plus her longevity is in the genes, so hopefully many of your family will enjoy a long happy life.
Sounds like the cats had a great time with you home too.

Any Friday's are good unless you are in the flying game - then it matters not !
The same applies to Holidays!
I love poodles, my nanna had one called Poodie (yeah I know not original) but he was a little devil, a friend had a Doberman and a toy poodle Elsa the poodle dominated that poor Doberman! Shav hm ‘the look’ and he creeped off he came as a puppy and I think she knew straight off to ensure he knew she was boss. Poodles do tend to be snappy with strangers, although Elsa never bit me I did get the I’m watching you carefully look lol.

On to my next project getting the new bathroom done. The first problem I'm having is the old exhaust fan that was in use for the hot tub we took out of the room 3 years ago doesn't work and they don't make it anymore. Not only that but it used a 10 inch exhaust pipe to vent the air and just about all the ones their making now days use a 4 inch pipe. I had to buy a 10" to 4" reducer and now I have to cut down the 10 inch one. That will take a Dremel tool, and I can't find mine, so I had to buy a new one.

Bathroom_duct_01.JPG
Bathroom_12_30_22.JPG

Todd, the SIL disliked the attitude immediately, because I knew him as a teen and I know his dad, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We left when he decided to tell me I was taking advantage of his need to sell his trains. I think he blew a great opportunity. In the future if he comes to us he will deal with the SIL and Isabel and I doubt he could work under her leadership. He just had that vibe…

7 hours split with food in between isn’t that bad. But, at this layout running trains on time can get intense. That no longer is enjoyable to me. There is a group of model railroaders here in my part of Wisconsin and the LaCrosse area that run 4 hour sessions, break for a meal and head to another 4 hour session on another layout. But, it’s fun and relaxing. There is a annual New Years session coming up in that group that the spots were filled within hours of posting in September.

View attachment 158834
if he had that vibe,and got funny over the trains,then employing him does not seem in your best interests especially as it would totally blow the friendship with his dad (um is he still alive) but me I always take first impressions.
He may have just hopped to push for more,and thought as a family friend he could get away with it, but if that was it he would likely pull it at work too.
You did your share,more than most, he knows the price you offered,if he finds more elsewhere easily good luck to him,

As for Santa, he knows :p

[snip]
50g erithritol - Sweetner replacer or sugar if you must…faints
[snip]

Unfortunately, my wife is not tolerant of Erithritol. It gives her very painful gas bloating. To the point where she belches like a sailor just to get relief. And she's 110 pounds soaking wet, so it's not like she can hold in much compressed gas, lol!

About the only non-sugar sweetener she can handle is Stevia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back