Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the South Central portion of Wisconsin. 28f degrees now feels like 12 heading into the high 30’s. The house was quiet yesterday for about 2 hours after the son flew out and then the niece drove away. A rental car for 3 days between Barrington, Il and Madison, Wisconsin (less then 100 miles) was $1100 plus gas upon return. I told the niece since they were flying out of Madison and coming back this way to take my car. Good guy award #1.

Terry, my sister, coach’s wife and Terry’s friend have decided they are going to Maui. They leave at noon today. They fly into the Burbank airport stay over night at my sister’s in Pasadena and fly over Friday morning.

I have a FB modeling friend that texted me yesterday asking if I could help him out. I have known his dad since I moved to North Central Wisconsin in the mid 70’s. He and his spouse have been on the outs for a few years and thought having a child would help them out. Had the baby in September with no health insurance. Gee, that doesn’t really work out, but anyway. Asked if I’d buy his freight cars as he knows I don’t buy locomotives. This guy is 36 and a former youth and high school hockey teammate of the son. The son told me a few weeks ago that he told this guy to call me for a job in our maintenance shop. Never did. Said he was unaware of the financial issues. Knew the wife had moved out and was unemployed. He is a out of work welder and small engine repair with a stay at home soon to be ex-wife and a kid with credit cards up the kazoo. His job skills are something we have been looking for. His dad had a small engine repair shop up in No. Central Wisconsin and I knew him fairly well. He has over 1000 freight cars. and 80 locomotives. He has missed his December rent payment. No wonder he has credit card issues. Lives about 60 miles northeast of me. I will drive over tomorrow to see what I can do. The SIL said he’ll come along. I was helped by a friend years ago when I hit the financial bottom due to my gambling stupidity so it’s the least I can do is to offer to help another. We can offer a job and a place for him to stay on property. Depending on if he will go along (really wants help) I can help him with his financial recovery but I want his social security number ( for credit checking ) and the credit cards in my pocket when I leave.

The nice father in law that I am put my 2 cents in yesterday where it didn’t belong. The above SIL my beloved son told me wants a Jeep. The son then asked me why the SIL needs to buy his “own” vehicle when the company has always provided the cars to family. I said, I was unaware and that the company was dissolved when you and your sister didn’t want what “you” guys called our “side f…ing gig”. The “f…ing” part I added. Ask me if I am still bitter about their decision! If he wants a new vehicle he can ask me. So, yesterday morning the son is mad at me, I am some what bewildered and the SIL asks if I wanted to join him driving to the airport to drop off the happy couple heading to their honeymoon. Sure what’s another trip to the airport I left a couple hours earlier dropping the son off. Seems the SIL is getting the Jeep from his dad not buying one and now he got ticked because I was interfering. Geez, I am bad guy. Deduction of a good guy award. The last 10 minutes driving home was quiet.

Tell wife and she laughs. Don’t worry about it. I feel bad but I don’t have a cave or train room to sulk and hide in anymore. About 9 last night I get a text from the son. He had landed at his home airport and had just hangared the plane he picked up in Duluth, Minnesota. He apologized for getting me involved in the Jeep incident when he didn’t know the full story. Well I didn’t tell him about the SIL conversation, so the SIL must have. Then tells me that the former teammate I am going to see on Thursday that I should not feel obligated to help him. Ok, I say still somewhat befuddled. How’d he know that? His mom, my wife called him as he was flying. Then SIL calls and says he’s taking tomorrow off from overseeing the grounds that he is supposed to do while Isabel is on her honeymoon. But he wanted to watch Saint Tom help out a fellow modeler. Yeah he said that. So am I a good guy again? Time will tell.

That’s my saga for 12/27/2022. I promise myself a boring day today.

TomO Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished? Wowsa! I feel for ya! Only to make matters worse....like you said you have a no retreat situation to the "man cave" bummer! Hey just a side note let me know how it goes to that fellas place to review his freight and locos. If he has anything in Union Pacific and fallen flags that UP has.....keep me in mind. I may be able to help with a little? Or we can work something out. Talk to ya later.

Good Morning All. Clear and 43° here in North Central Texas. If the forecast is to be believed, I can let the fire in the wood-burning heater go out today for at least the next six days.

We drove to Haslet TX for my wife's family Christmas get together, all out-of-towners, technically including us at 51 miles away. For more than 40 miles, we drove parallel to the BNSF main between Alliance Yard and Sanger TX. Unfortunately it wasn't very busy, saw a mixed NB, a unit Autorack SB. There were a couple of trains waiting on passing sidings headed NB that were waiting for Amtrak's SB Heartland Flyer that was due to go by right behind us. Saw over 65 GE locos, mostly UP and NS Dash9's on the sidings near the Wabtec (formerly GE) locomotive assembly plant in North Ft Worth. They mostly rebuild there now 7 or 8 a week. I don't know how many new ones that they make these days, but they still make some for KCS Mexican subsidy TFM. I occasionally see rebuilt CP's on the interchange siding near me that KCS picks up and delivers to CP up north somewhere. I was driving and couldn't take pictures with the phone.

Today is another unwind day on the SFW estate, still sorting out Christmas gifts. Weather is finally nice enough to resume outdoor chores; I have a whole list, prune trees, split firewood, gather and shred leaves for the garden, other gardening tasks, I may even shred brush that's been gathering.

I actually went out to the train shed yesterday morning and did some more ground cover. Not enough to photograph, but it is progress.
Here's a few close ups of the figures that I received.
View attachment 158707
View attachment 158708View attachment 158709View attachment 158710
As you can see, there's still a little flash, but I might not have to trim much depending on placement on the layout.

Tom O - Too bad about the operating session, but better safe.
Steve J - Have a safe trip.
Alan - Nice tankers. Too bad about the troubles with the decals.
PV Dave - Be safe with the tree; don't damage the house.

Everybody have a great hump day. Stay safe and warm.
Willie You can't post people on the beach when members batteries are dying and it's -31 below zero wind chill.
Swal

Oh by the way guys before I forget!!!!!! THE BIG E is coming!

I will be going! Rain or shine or blizzard or snowmageddon!
James I wanted to go but I can't go now with the condition my wife's in. My friend Pat will be going 2 days. I told him if anyone there is selling grade crossing gates pick up a pair and I'll pay you when you stop by the house.
Swal

George: After the NH was incorporated into the PC, the GG1s ran through to New Haven, so your memories are accurate. There was only one size of GG1. Three distinct versions all defined as GG1, with no sub class. The three groups are the 4800, which had a riveted body, 4801 through 4857 had fixed couplers and welded body, and were geared for 90mph. 4858 through 4939 were welded body, with cast drop couplers, and 100mph gearing.
There were other differences, some had Westinghouse electrical components, while others had GE, but over all they were all considered GG1s.I'm going to have to look it up now. I can't remember why I was in on the unit. I can remember I couldn't see the engineer from the fireman's seat.
Boris I going to have to look this up. I thought the loco was smaller than the regular GG1? Maybe it was just the color? I thought it was green just like the one in the photo pulling a New Haven passenger train. I do remember one thing you could not see the engineer from the fireman's seat.
Swal

New_Haven_GG1.JPG

Afternoon All,

Started out with the morning walk at 44F and currently 71F. In the train room today, I put together the accident scene and photographed. It's an homage to what I did for so many years, and it's my layout. ;) The T/O is supposed to be here late Friday so that will be a weekend project. We're going out to supper tonight for SIL 55th birthday.

Joe- Nice photo.

Smudge- At least he got off the tracks.

Patrick- Sounds like the counter kid was trying to get out of the warranty replacement.

Willie- I hope you have a lot of water features for all the bathers.

Dave- Nice layout shots. That was a great movie.

TomO- You're a good man trying to help out someone in need.

Swal- I think it's just the photo perspective.

20221228_103543.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dave after all this I think that's what I have now. A waterlogged tank. Just one question. How do I fix it?
Swal
as I recall draining all the water out and then refilling it. Better yet, replace it with one that comes with a "bladder" which is an air sack that will prevent further water logging.

forgot to add in the owners manual they tell how much air pressure to pump in there and that is another reason to replace it. There is an air intake like a stem on an automobile tire where the pressure can be checked and air added.

Afternoon All,

Started out with the morning walk at 44F and currently 71F. In the train room today, I put together the accident scene and photographed. It's an homage to what I did for so many years, and it's my layout. ;) The T/O is supposed to be here late Friday so that will be a weekend project. We're going out to supper tonight for SIL 55th birthday.

Joe- Nice photo.

Patrick- Sounds like the counter kid was trying to get out of the warranty replacement.

View attachment 158723

Paying it back. Thankfully I am in a position to maybe help out, but that’s his choice

TomO Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished? Wowsa! I feel for ya! Only to make matters worse....like you said you have a no retreat situation to the "man cave" bummer! Hey just a side note let me know how it goes to that fellas place to review his freight and locos. If he has anything in Union Pacific and fallen flags that UP has.....keep me in mind. I may be able to help with a little? Or we can work something out. Talk to ya later.
I have notes for your info. Thanks. Never know what I might find. You know me, always looking

Dave after all this I think that's what I have now. A waterlogged tank. Just one question. How do I fix it?
Swal
Shut off the pump. Drain the tank. I usually vent the tank, so it doesn't pull a vacuum. Once drained, close all openings and start the well. If you chlorinate your well, add before closing. There is an air valve, at least on ours, that I usually have to change out once a year. WE have some very hard water, and it destroys the rubber diaphragm in the valve. I added an air chuck like on a tire. I can add air pressure when needed.

I thought the loco was smaller than the regular GG1?
You're not thinking of the New haven "Jet" motor. They were newer GE products with bi-directional cabs. I believe the NH had 10. PC used some in NHto GCT commuter service, until one caught fire in GCT. Then they were banned from passenger service. PC ran two in freight service, one between Morrisville and South Amboy, (A-1, A-2), and the other between Morrisville and Greenville, (N-13, N12).

PC 4977 E-40 @ Meadows Pit (NJ) Martin S kaufman Photo.jpg

PC 4977 on the Pit at the Meadows, NJ. Note only a single pantograph used after modifications. Definitely, a smaller footprint than the GG1.
You think this is just the camera angle? The ones on the left look much shorter?

View attachment 158724
Definitely the camera angle. The tri-level looks a tad short also, eh? George, trust me, they are all the same size. I spent a lot of time on them.

Afternoon All,

Joe- Nice photo.

View attachment 158723

Nice scene with the accident, all the cars in the same era, even the outfits fit the era

Thanks for the movie review! At first I wasn't sure then ended watching it about 5 times

Dave LASM

If the kid owned the store...maybe, but too many of them think they know best.

I wouldn't doubt he gets a bonus.
An auto parts store where I worked suffered a rash of defective batteries, and word came down from the district manager that no matter how “bad” a battery was, we were to tell the customer “it just needs to be charged more”.
The hope was the customer would need a battery, and simply buy another one while the original was “charging more”.
No, it didn’t work well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back