Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Caught up....

Well besides not feeling good yesterday, I get a call from the local SIL that his car won't start. This is the car we put a new battery in last Friday when it was -5° and wind chill across the front of the car was -31°. It would start. I told him it was a bad new battery. I told him I'd help him after work. He got my battery charger and put the charger on the battery and 3 hours later, when I got there it wasn't charging. I told him the battery was bad. We got it jump started and took the car to O'Reilly's to have the battery tested. Their tester said it was too low to test and that alternator was good. Kid argued with me that the battery was fine and that we'd need to take the battery out and bring it back to test on the bigger machine in the back. We did that, only we put the car in my garage so I'd have the light and tools I'd need to do anything else if needed. We go back and the battery tests good, but needs charged. I still insist that the battery is crap, but the kid behind the counter says it's fine once charged. I asked them to fully charge it on their machine. The machine says it will take an hour to charge, so we make arrangements to come back when they call us that's it's ready. 15 minutes after we leave O'Reilly's calls and says the battery is bad and that they tested replacement for us. Battery replaced and the car starts better that with the last new battery. SIL asked about why it took less time to replace and I told him it was 50° warmer than when we replaced the battery on Friday. it was 45° outside and usually a bit warmer in the garage. Sadly I really hate it when I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about from a kid with less experience than my underwear. I know a lot more about cars than the average bear, but I just can't do a lot of the work myself. Way too many busted up pieces and arthritis over the years. I can honestly say I outlived my warranty...lol

Chad: Interesting train and museum pictures. Again, thank you for sharing them with us.

Shoes, for me I gotta have socks but can't do shoes barefoot, just can't. My personal preference for casual shoes are Nike Air Monarchs...The shoe Nike wants to discontinue, but sells way too many of to stop. My dress shoes are SAS Time Out. Can't stand hard soled shoes since the knee replacements. I usually wear socks around the house as too long in shoes make my feet hurt. Socks are easier to clean than my feet...peel them off and put on a new pair...still have clean feet.

Good Morning All. Clear and 43° here in North Central Texas. If the forecast is to be believed, I can let the fire in the wood-burning heater go out today for at least the next six days.

We drove to Haslet TX for my wife's family Christmas get together, all out-of-towners, technically including us at 51 miles away. For more than 40 miles, we drove parallel to the BNSF main between Alliance Yard and Sanger TX. Unfortunately it wasn't very busy, saw a mixed NB, a unit Autorack SB. There were a couple of trains waiting on passing sidings headed NB that were waiting for Amtrak's SB Heartland Flyer that was due to go by right behind us. Saw over 65 GE locos, mostly UP and NS Dash9's on the sidings near the Wabtec (formerly GE) locomotive assembly plant in North Ft Worth. They mostly rebuild there now 7 or 8 a week. I don't know how many new ones that they make these days, but they still make some for KCS Mexican subsidy TFM. I occasionally see rebuilt CP's on the interchange siding near me that KCS picks up and delivers to CP up north somewhere. I was driving and couldn't take pictures with the phone.

Today is another unwind day on the SFW estate, still sorting out Christmas gifts. Weather is finally nice enough to resume outdoor chores; I have a whole list, prune trees, split firewood, gather and shred leaves for the garden, other gardening tasks, I may even shred brush that's been gathering.

I actually went out to the train shed yesterday morning and did some more ground cover. Not enough to photograph, but it is progress.
Here's a few close ups of the figures that I received.
IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG

As you can see, there's still a little flash, but I might not have to trim much depending on placement on the layout.

Tom O - Too bad about the operating session, but better safe.
Steve J - Have a safe trip.
Alan - Nice tankers. Too bad about the troubles with the decals.
PV Dave - Be safe with the tree; don't damage the house.

Everybody have a great hump day. Stay safe and warm.

Good morning all, it is a balmy +25F feels like summer after the brutal cold and wind we had here in East central Minnesota,

Chris - I vote C. Nice place for industries on the spur tracks

Swal - glad you were able to figure out the pitless unit so quiclky. I have many well experiences in my day, both witching them, pounding them, and finally drilling them. The most frustrating being the waterlogged tank,

Troy- The article from Stillwater features my train, NP 328. This is the featured loco on my layout:

NP 328 r.JPG

Gary - like the way your layout is shaping up

January 6 - The George Floyd riots make this look like a birthday party for pre schoolers. No investigation there, however. It is not what is in the report, but what they left out.

Snapped this shot of a Black bear family on the layout last night...

black bears r.JPG

back later, Dave LASM

Well besides not feeling good yesterday, I get a call from the local SIL that his car won't start. This is the car we put a new battery in last Friday when it was -5° and wind chill across the front of the car was -31°. It would start. I told him it was a bad new battery. I told him I'd help him after work. He got my battery charger and put the charger on the battery and 3 hours later, when I got there it wasn't charging. I told him the battery was bad. We got it jump started and took the car to O'Reilly's to have the battery tested. Their tester said it was too low to test and that alternator was good. Kid argued with me that the battery was fine and that we'd need to take the battery out and bring it back to test on the bigger machine in the back. We did that, only we put the car in my garage so I'd have the light and tools I'd need to do anything else if needed. We go back and the battery tests good, but needs charged. I still insist that the battery is crap, but the kid behind the counter says it's fine once charged. I asked them to fully charge it on their machine. The machine says it will take an hour to charge, so we make arrangements to come back when they call us that's it's ready. 15 minutes after we leave O'Reilly's calls and says the battery is bad and that they tested replacement for us. Battery replaced and the car starts better that with the last new battery. SIL asked about why it took less time to replace and I told him it was 50° warmer than when we replaced the battery on Friday. it was 45° outside and usually a bit warmer in the garage. Sadly I really hate it when I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about from a kid with less experience than my underwear. I know a lot more about cars than the average bear, but I just can't do a lot of the work myself. Way too many busted up pieces and arthritis over the years. I can honestly say I outlived my warranty...lol

Chad: Interesting train and museum pictures. Again, thank you for sharing them with us.

Shoes, for me I gotta have socks but can't do shoes barefoot, just can't. My personal preference for casual shoes are Nike Air Monarchs...The shoe Nike wants to discontinue, but sells way too many of to stop. My dress shoes are SAS Time Out. Can't stand hard soled shoes since the knee replacements. I usually wear socks around the house as too long in shoes make my feet hurt. Socks are easier to clean than my feet...peel them off and put on a new pair...still have clean feet.
Patrick: You are missing ONE wear time for them socks - turn them inside out 1st, then you get mo miles outa themo_O

Good morning from the South Central portion of Wisconsin. 28f degrees now feels like 12 heading into the high 30’s. The house was quiet yesterday for about 2 hours after the son flew out and then the niece drove away. A rental car for 3 days between Barrington, Il and Madison, Wisconsin (less then 100 miles) was $1100 plus gas upon return. I told the niece since they were flying out of Madison and coming back this way to take my car. Good guy award #1.

Terry, my sister, coach’s wife and Terry’s friend have decided they are going to Maui. They leave at noon today. They fly into the Burbank airport stay over night at my sister’s in Pasadena and fly over Friday morning.

I have a FB modeling friend that texted me yesterday asking if I could help him out. I have known his dad since I moved to North Central Wisconsin in the mid 70’s. He and his spouse have been on the outs for a few years and thought having a child would help them out. Had the baby in September with no health insurance. Gee, that doesn’t really work out, but anyway. Asked if I’d buy his freight cars as he knows I don’t buy locomotives. This guy is 36 and a former youth and high school hockey teammate of the son. The son told me a few weeks ago that he told this guy to call me for a job in our maintenance shop. Never did. Said he was unaware of the financial issues. Knew the wife had moved out and was unemployed. He is a out of work welder and small engine repair with a stay at home soon to be ex-wife and a kid with credit cards up the kazoo. His job skills are something we have been looking for. His dad had a small engine repair shop up in No. Central Wisconsin and I knew him fairly well. He has over 1000 freight cars. and 80 locomotives. He has missed his December rent payment. No wonder he has credit card issues. Lives about 60 miles northeast of me. I will drive over tomorrow to see what I can do. The SIL said he’ll come along. I was helped by a friend years ago when I hit the financial bottom due to my gambling stupidity so it’s the least I can do is to offer to help another. We can offer a job and a place for him to stay on property. Depending on if he will go along (really wants help) I can help him with his financial recovery but I want his social security number ( for credit checking ) and the credit cards in my pocket when I leave.

The nice father in law that I am put my 2 cents in yesterday where it didn’t belong. The above SIL my beloved son told me wants a Jeep. The son then asked me why the SIL needs to buy his “own” vehicle when the company has always provided the cars to family. I said, I was unaware and that the company was dissolved when you and your sister didn’t want what “you” guys called our “side f…ing gig”. The “f…ing” part I added. Ask me if I am still bitter about their decision! If he wants a new vehicle he can ask me. So, yesterday morning the son is mad at me, I am some what bewildered and the SIL asks if I wanted to join him driving to the airport to drop off the happy couple heading to their honeymoon. Sure what’s another trip to the airport I left a couple hours earlier dropping the son off. Seems the SIL is getting the Jeep from his dad not buying one and now he got ticked because I was interfering. Geez, I am bad guy. Deduction of a good guy award. The last 10 minutes driving home was quiet.

Tell wife and she laughs. Don’t worry about it. I feel bad but I don’t have a cave or train room to sulk and hide in anymore. About 9 last night I get a text from the son. He had landed at his home airport and had just hangared the plane he picked up in Duluth, Minnesota. He apologized for getting me involved in the Jeep incident when he didn’t know the full story. Well I didn’t tell him about the SIL conversation, so the SIL must have. Then tells me that the former teammate I am going to see on Thursday that I should not feel obligated to help him. Ok, I say still somewhat befuddled. How’d he know that? His mom, my wife called him as he was flying. Then SIL calls and says he’s taking tomorrow off from overseeing the grounds that he is supposed to do while Isabel is on her honeymoon. But he wanted to watch Saint Tom help out a fellow modeler. Yeah he said that. So am I a good guy again? Time will tell.

That’s my saga for 12/27/2022. I promise myself a boring day today.

Good morning from the South Central portion of Wisconsin. 28f degrees now feels like 12 heading into the high 30’s. The house was quiet yesterday for about 2 hours after the son flew out and then the niece drove away. A rental car for 3 days between Barrington, Il and Madison, Wisconsin (less then 100 miles) was $1100 plus gas upon return. I told the niece since they were flying out of Madison and coming back this way to take my car. Good guy award #1.

Terry, my sister, coach’s wife and Terry’s friend have decided they are going to Maui. They leave at noon today. They fly into the Burbank airport stay over night at my sister’s in Pasadena and fly over Friday morning.

I have a FB modeling friend that texted me yesterday asking if I could help him out. I have known his dad since I moved to North Central Wisconsin in the mid 70’s. He and his spouse have been on the outs for a few years and thought having a child would help them out. Had the baby in September with no health insurance. Gee, that doesn’t really work out, but anyway. Asked if I’d buy his freight cars as he knows I don’t buy locomotives. This guy is 36 and a former youth and high school hockey teammate of the son. The son told me a few weeks ago that he told this guy to call me for a job in our maintenance shop. Never did. Said he was unaware of the financial issues. Knew the wife had moved out and was unemployed. He is a out of work welder and small engine repair with a stay at home soon to be ex-wife and a kid with credit cards up the kazoo. His job skills are something we have been looking for. His dad had a small engine repair shop up in No. Central Wisconsin and I knew him fairly well. He has over 1000 freight cars. and 80 locomotives. He has missed his December rent payment. No wonder he has credit card issues. Lives about 60 miles northeast of me. I will drive over tomorrow to see what I can do. The SIL said he’ll come along. I was helped by a friend years ago when I hit the financial bottom due to my gambling stupidity so it’s the least I can do is to offer to help another. We can offer a job and a place for him to stay on property. Depending on if he will go along (really wants help) I can help him with his financial recovery but I want his social security number ( for credit checking ) and the credit cards in my pocket when I leave.

The nice father in law that I am put my 2 cents in yesterday where it didn’t belong. The above SIL my beloved son told me wants a Jeep. The son then asked me why the SIL needs to buy his “own” vehicle when the company has always provided the cars to family. I said, I was unaware and that the company was dissolved when you and your sister didn’t want what “you” guys called our “side f…ing gig”. The “f…ing” part I added. Ask me if I am still bitter about their decision! If he wants a new vehicle he can ask me. So, yesterday morning the son is mad at me, I am some what bewildered and the SIL asks if I wanted to join him driving to the airport to drop off the happy couple heading to their honeymoon. Sure what’s another trip to the airport I left a couple hours earlier dropping the son off. Seems the SIL is getting the Jeep from his dad not buying one and now he got ticked because I was interfering. Geez, I am bad guy. Deduction of a good guy award. The last 10 minutes driving home was quiet.

Tell wife and she laughs. Don’t worry about it. I feel bad but I don’t have a cave or train room to sulk and hide in anymore. About 9 last night I get a text from the son. He had landed at his home airport and had just hangared the plane he picked up in Duluth, Minnesota. He apologized for getting me involved in the Jeep incident when he didn’t know the full story. Well I didn’t tell him about the SIL conversation, so the SIL must have. Then tells me that the former teammate I am going to see on Thursday that I should not feel obligated to help him. Ok, I say still somewhat befuddled. How’d he know that? His mom, my wife called him as he was flying. Then SIL calls and says he’s taking tomorrow off from overseeing the grounds that he is supposed to do while Isabel is on her honeymoon. But he wanted to watch Saint Tom help out a fellow modeler. Yeah he said that. So am I a good guy again? Time will tell.

That’s my saga for 12/27/2022. I promise myself a boring day today.
WOW! Quite an eventful day, honestly much rather you than me, I'd probably have done my nut, and told the lot to shove off.
You my friend, have the patience of a 😇.

Boris I was on one of those locos once. I can't remember why but I thought it was on the NH. It seemed to be a smaller version though. Is there a smaller one?
Swal
George: After the NH was incorporated into the PC, the GG1s ran through to New Haven, so your memories are accurate. There was only one size of GG1. Three distinct versions all defined as GG1, with no sub class. The three groups are the 4800, which had a riveted body, 4801 through 4857 had fixed couplers and welded body, and were geared for 90mph. 4858 through 4939 were welded body, with cast drop couplers, and 100mph gearing.
There were other differences, some had Westinghouse electrical components, while others had GE, but over all they were all considered GG1s.

Good Morning All. Clear and 43° here in North Central Texas. If the forecast is to be believed, I can let the fire in the wood-burning heater go out today for at least the next six days.

We drove to Haslet TX for my wife's family Christmas get together, all out-of-towners, technically including us at 51 miles away. For more than 40 miles, we drove parallel to the BNSF main between Alliance Yard and Sanger TX. Unfortunately it wasn't very busy, saw a mixed NB, a unit Autorack SB. There were a couple of trains waiting on passing sidings headed NB that were waiting for Amtrak's SB Heartland Flyer that was due to go by right behind us. Saw over 65 GE locos, mostly UP and NS Dash9's on the sidings near the Wabtec (formerly GE) locomotive assembly plant in North Ft Worth. They mostly rebuild there now 7 or 8 a week. I don't know how many new ones that they make these days, but they still make some for KCS Mexican subsidy TFM. I occasionally see rebuilt CP's on the interchange siding near me that KCS picks up and delivers to CP up north somewhere. I was driving and couldn't take pictures with the phone.

Today is another unwind day on the SFW estate, still sorting out Christmas gifts. Weather is finally nice enough to resume outdoor chores; I have a whole list, prune trees, split firewood, gather and shred leaves for the garden, other gardening tasks, I may even shred brush that's been gathering.

I actually went out to the train shed yesterday morning and did some more ground cover. Not enough to photograph, but it is progress.
View attachment 158707
View attachment 158708View attachment 158709View attachment 158710
As you can see, there's still a little flash, but I might not have to trim much depending on placement on the layout.

The girl with the white bikini had her pants round her knees!

James I didn't even know I had a channel or you had a channel. How do I subscribe?
Swal

Swal,

To be clear....I created a YouTube channel. I currently have (2) YouTube channels under the same email on YouTube.

One channel that I have had for 12 years or so which is dedicated to my boat, fishing and hunting seasons. https://www.youtube.com/@alcomotion

I use this for my family and friends so that they can see our memories. I try very hard to keep it clean and not offensive but just plain o'l fun. I do not get into cleaning or prepping the fish or kills of an animal in fact I decided not to do any hunting clips as I just found that I did not want to be bothered with unruly comments with my way of life when it comes to hunting. I just show some of my catches and my guys that fish with me catches and that's it! Simple nothing elaborate.

The 2nd channel "the new one" is dedicated to my layout and prototype trains I video.

So if you want to create a channel you can, as it is free. Then you can subscribe to my channel if you want to but you can watch either channel without subscribing it doesn't matter you will still be able to watch the videos.

I had been contemplating on doing train videos for some time and after seeing Dave Banta's videos a few months ago I thought I could do the same to keep a video journal if you will of my layout progress and other train related stuff. I am not much into talking just filming though lol.

In another NOTE:

It's funny I created my 1st YouTube channel 12 years or so ago for my love of fishing and being outdoors. I have not posted in a long time but I do post a year end season results as a recap which I will be doing one soon for this season 2022. When I first started the channel I thought I would be doing it more often but life does get in the way. I have had people try to hi-jack my "name, monicker, handle" and even my email and Alcomotive and Wuzborntofish name but they failed. I have had the name Alcomotive for 30 years or so and Wuzborntofish for at least 30 years as well. Anyways that is that!

Last edited:

View attachment 158707
View attachment 158708View attachment 158709View attachment 158710

Willie

Haslet TX was where I was earlier this year when I went to Texas to visit my buddy who retired from the NAVY and now works for Lockheed Martin. I will be going again in 2024. But 2023 he coming up here.....When I do go to Texas we will have to meet up!

Finally, the last time I had to pull the water line up. I had my plumber friend send over two of his helpers to do the job, so I didn't have to get involved this time. Replaced all the hardware and maybe now I can have some model RR time.
Swal

IMG_8834.JPG
IMG_8836.JPG

Last edited:
Morning everyone!

I went to see my Aunt Ruth yesterday who is 100 years old. She has begun her journey to the pearly gates. The nurses have started to make her comfortable at home with a bit of morphine as she was in some pain. She is in and out sleeping but but slipping away slowly. I am forever grateful for her and having her in my life. She lived a great full life. I expect in a few days she will be gone.

I am in the office today.....blah all too quiet! I will leave early......

Other news the boys and I are going out again for dinner to chat about things. I am looking forward to more time with them! Always good. They are doing ok but still struggling with the loss of their mother (my sister) as I do at times as well.

The weather is starting to warm back up here. Today high of 27° F but later this week and into the weekend mid 40's! Woo hoo! I will take it!
I may need to check my oil tank for the furnace. I know I used a quarter of a tank thus far about 68 gallons of the 275 gallon tank. It may be now down to a half of tank. I may need to top it off as we all know January and February here upstate get gnarly cold. Hopefully the fuel oil prices have come down a little bit we shall see.

I am surprise that I have not seen a lot of post on the RPO thread of Christmas goodies and prez from Santa? What the heck did ya'll get coal or something? 😆😂🤣

Joking with ya'll..... I did get a few gift cards for Lowe's and Home Depot. I like getting that. I also bought a few presents for myself that will be in later this week and early next week that I will share.

I really have to say once again, I really enjoy coming in here, the Coffee Shop and reading up on the on goings with you guys. Before I forget or get too busy I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a Happy New Year and may you all have a year of peace and happiness!

I will try to check back before New Years Eve if not ya'll be safe and celebrate with your significant other, family and friends. May Peace be with you always.

Peace

Last edited:
I mentioned we went to the atomic bomb museum and the neighboring Peace Park. The museum is smaller than the one at Hiroshima but has some interesting artifacts and displays.

Nagasaki had a lot of European and Christian influence as the city where the Portuguese and Dutch traded in the 16th century and after foreigners were kicked out by the Shoguns, the Dutch were allowed an outpost on an island in Nagasaki for the time up until Japan re-opened to the world in the mid 19th century. During that time there were a lot of underground catholics and when it re-opened they built what was at the time the largest cathedral in East Asia. This cathedral was about 500 m from the "hypocenter" of the bomb blast and was destroyed, with just a few walls/columns left standing.

Out in the Peace Park, which is an open air park at and around the "hypocenter" (the spot on the ground under where the air burst bomb went off), there is a small piece of the cathedral that was left standing (that has been moved to the park) and there is a recreation of another piece that was left standing inside the museum. Not sure if the recreation include original material or not (like some statues that were part of the wall).

Anyway, the museum is very interesting and touches on all aspects of the event. There are technical descriptions, films of the bomb being prepared and loaded, various still and films of the actual blast, and lots and lots of photos after the blast (and some from before for comparison). Lots of broken stuff and melted glass and stuff is on display as well.

One thing I found interesting is that they have an exhibit called something like "Testimony of witnesses to the bomb blast" and they include both Japanese and Foreigners. There was a POW camp there and so a half dozen Australian former POWs were interviewed. The Australians talked about the torture, abuse, etc that they received at the hands of the Japanese guards and soldiers in the camp and the museum didn't censor any of that. They also said that overall they thought the bomb worth it as it saved a lot of Japanese and Allied lives by forestalling the need for an actual invasion. And none of that was censored either. I didn't get to listen to any of the Japanese or the there foreigners (Korean etc) eye witness testimonies as the museum was closing when we got to that section.

They also had section at the end about modern nuclear proliferation. It was mostly Cold War oriented though did talk about more current stuff and was mostly pacifistic but seemed to have a more even keel and more even "all sides of the topic" feel than the overly pacifistic Hiroshima displays. Of course the overall point is peace and not letting it happen again (which I think we can all agree with). As I said to my kids afterwards, "war sucks" and the little guy is the guys who dies for the most part. I also explained, in my opinion, that the "cat is out of the bag" and that it is better to "speak softly and carry a big stick". You can't put the genie back so it is better for the "good guys" to have enough to keep the bad guys from thinking about using them. Not an easy topic (and not one I am trying to open up here).

It is almost 8am here Wednesday and I am not sure yet what we are going to do with our half day still in Nagasaki. I wanted to find a museum or display about the Dutch presence during the Shogun times or some other historical thing but the kids are pushing back. We'll see.

Some pics from the museum and peace park including the hypocenter marker (large tall column thing). The statues from the cathedral show blackening and blast damage from the bomb.

View attachment 158671View attachment 158672View attachment 158673View attachment 158674View attachment 158675View attachment 158676View attachment 158677View attachment 158678View attachment 158679View attachment 158680
I found this post from your travel to be the most interesting!

Brings to mind the movie "railway man" in the reference to treatment of prisoners.

Dave LASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back