Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. 28° and partly cloudy. Today's high was 37°, which was a big improvement over the past few days.
Spent some time down in the train room this evening. Removed all non DCC locos from the tracks. I plan on assembly lining them through decoder installation later this week. I decluttered the layout by removing freight cars that would not normally operate along the prototype, including TTX trailer cars. Now, there will be more room to operate. I need to focus on one module at a time, instead of hopping around. I also need to remind myself that it's a small layout that can be choked if there are too many cars on the layout.

I accompanied the wife to ShopRite, where we picked up bread, milk and a few other essentials. We also picked up New Year's dinner. We should not have to go anywhere the balance of the week, unless we want to.

Received a delayed gift from second son today, a cool T shirt, depicting the Bell AH-1Z Viper Attack Helicopters used by the Marines.

As promised, I also have a new photo to share.

PC 4801 +1  Date Unk coutresy Steven Geisler 4801 was the last GG1 painted in the 5 stripe sch...jpg

PC 4801 which received its Penn Central paint in 1971, was unique in that it retained the 5 stripe scheme from inception through 1971, never having been painted in the PRR Single stripe scheme. Photo courtesy of Steven G, location and photographer unknown.

Hmm, almost nothing worse than fighting a malfunctioning decal.
A limping brass steamer with a well hidden bind comes to mind. 😊. if you start with the white glue method they aren’t so bad, but I had to trash most of the curled ones and reattach three placards that came loose. Doing things over unnecessarily kinda gets my goat. The white glue info was in their decal catalog.

Jeeze !! didn't make it in today -already 4 pages behind. This place is getting as long and busy as one of Biden's press conferences?

We had a small "spit" shower this afternoon - makes the windscreen streaked.
Nice 76f degrees - warmer than forecast.

Trying to catch up on a few things here too, LOUIS.

Maybe I'll start posting when I wake up at 1 am ?????

Happening more and more.

Nice loot haul there WILLIE!

Glad that things have quieted down for you, JOE.
i am stuck on bold again - this time on the MAC machine ?

Well, howdy there internet peeps. It's Troy again.

I've learned to skim posts when I get behind. Too much of a forum like this starts sounding like one of the former guy's pressers, long, rambling, flipping from topic to topic and no real cohesion. But, that's the nature of the coffee shop. :cool:

My goal for this week was to do a deep dive into the Jan 6 committee's 800 page exec summary, but I have to word the words and get this book finished by the weekend. Maybe 10K more words. Then I can ship it off to the alpha readers and get their feedback.

One more night to finish off my bottle of 1867 Canadian whisky. Then I'm going to open the Engine 765 bottle the wife got me! 🥃

Wording break to get a cookie.

I noticed this story on a friend's Facebook page:

Here's the meat of the story:

Did you know that? Neither did some members of the Stillwater City Council, who recently learned that the city owns Northern Pacific Locomotive No. 328, which is housed at the Minnesota Transportation Museum in St. Paul, pursuant to a 32-year lease agreement that expires in 2031.

“It was news to me,” said Stillwater City Council member Larry Odebrecht. “Do we have any boats or rocket ships?”

Museum officials recently contacted Stillwater officials to see if the city would like to donate the train to the museum or extend the lease.

The locomotive needs some major work to make it operable, and museum officials don’t want to spend the time or money unless they know it will be in their possession for the foreseeable future, said Scott Hippert, the museum’s executive director.

The estimated restoration costs are between $100,000, if volunteers are used, and $500,000.
and

The Stillwater City Council at a Dec. 6 workshop directed staff to contact museum officials to discuss extending the lease agreement and see if they were interested in buying it.

“If the museum is willing to hold onto it and restore it, we should extend the lease for another 20, 30 years,” Odebrecht said in an interview. “It will keep the tax cost low and the history alive. Basically, we’re trading time for money.”

The city hired Edward Biggs, a senior appraiser with the American Society of Appraisers, who specializes in rail equipment, locomotive, railcar and fleet valuations, to appraise the locomotive. Biggs, who has spent more than 40 years in the railroad industry, reviewed the mechanical records, historical and recent photographs and historical records of Engine 328 and concluded its market value is $120,000 to $150,000. To get the highest value, Biggs wrote, the locomotive should be sold at auction.

“There are potential buyers of steam locomotives that range from the very savvy and knowledgeable to rail fans with more money than brains,” Biggs wrote in his report. “The savvy and knowledgeable buyers will pay based on condition and make deductions for the unknowns.”

My goal for this week was to do a deep dive into the Jan 6 committee's 800 page exec summary,
Why waste your time? A group of egocentric biased politicians, spent a year and a half of taxpayer's money, rehashing what was already public knowledge. I guess that the public didn't support the sham committee much either, four of the nine either lost reelection bids, or retired in the face of overwhelming odds. Three of the others were crazy people from CA. None of the nine proposed any meaningful legislation during their current congressional terms.
Work on the layout instead.

Morning all,

I was not feeling it yesterday and almost called in. When I got to work, the IT tech that wasn't scheduled off called in. So I trudged through it taking care of what I could.

I gotta play catch up (post this after reading page 63) and then I'll comment further.

We made it back to Kobe. 10pm. Wifey is on her way back from meeting with some HS friends for the first time since those HS days AFAIK. She didn’t go to Nagasaki.

ate too many donuts and convenience store breads and pastries today on the trains back. I need to buckle down on the carbs and calories the last 6 days.

we’re starting to pack to see how much stuff we can fit in our size and weight limits. Unfortunate due to AA selling the ticket we only get 1 bag per person even though JAL normally gives 2.

Good night

Why waste your time? A group of egocentric biased politicians, spent a year and a half of taxpayer's money, rehashing what was already public knowledge. I guess that the public didn't support the sham committee much either, four of the nine either lost reelection bids, or retired in the face of overwhelming odds. Three of the others were crazy people from CA. None of the nine proposed any meaningful legislation during their current congressional terms.
Work on the layout instead.
Trying to avoid the politics in this, since it's actually a criminal investigation (or a few thousand criminal investigations):

Perhaps a deep dive into the evidence and testimony would be enlightening? Crimes were committed that day and in the days leading up to it. Putting on my journalism hat here. The cover-up, for once, isn't worse than the crime that comes out of that city. But, if we only get the news from the political talking heads, all we get is propaganda.

No matter which "news" outlet you hear the talking points from, the best source is to go to the evidence, not the commentators. And the evidence we have right now is a whole slew of court cases (Stuart Rhodes's Seditious Conspiracy conviction is the most serious so far), as well as J6 Committee testimony (under oath) from the likes of Sean Hannity who said he "didn't believe it for a second" about the claims by the former guy.

I'll follow the evidence and see where it goes.

Good morning gang!

Sunny skies with temps in the 40s later!

Christian. I concur with Willie. Something to do other than running in circles! Running in circles gets me dizzy! o_O

Tichy decals, it's a shame the artwork is soo good, cuz the decals suck! I've seriously considered scanning them and reprinting on Testor's decal film just to get what I needed.

BBL, got a serious case of the hungries going on, nothing left in my desk to snack on, might have to get a lot boy to run out for some breakfast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back