Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elevation is interesting, both as senic effect and operationally.
Thanks Iron Horseman, I tried hard to keep it flat but just wasn’t happy doing it. I am finding a way to make the over and under work and much more happy! Using a bit of the water wings layout by Layoutvision and the Granite gorge off of Scarm/atlas. I printed off the track plan that you did up and added an inch so far in the corner to give me the extra track to track spacing.

I'm changing most of my loco speakers to Scale Sound Systems. I called my friend Pat who I worked with on the RR to help me out with this. He has like $450,000.00 worth of trains and has installed most of his engines with these speakers. I didn't know this, but Scale Sound Systems make speakers that fit perfectly in just about every loco ever made in recent years. If you have a NH C-424 here's how the speakers look for that particular engine.
Swal

Scale_Sound_Systems_Atlas.JPG

I'm changing most of my loco speakers to Scale Sound Systems. I called my friend Pat who I worked with on the RR to help me out with this. He has like $450,000.00 worth of trains and has installed most of his engines with these speakers. I didn't know this, but Scale Sound Systems make speakers that fit perfectly in just about every loco ever made in recent years. If you have a NH C-424 here's how the speakers look for that particular engine.
Swal

View attachment 158653
Best model railroad speakers available

Swal

View attachment 158653
Must look these guys up, thanks

Well after an afternoon of fiddling with decals, let me recommend not to use Tichy decals, or if you do, be forewarned! They are very much solvent resistant. The Microscale decal setting solutions don't even faze them! They curl up and refuse to lay down. Even my last bottle of Champ Decal Set didn't touch them! The only thing I could do is what they recommend. Use water to get them off the backing paper, blot them dry, and use a thin coat of Elmers, Canopy glue, or Aileene's Tacky glue to bond them to the surface. I don't know about you but IMHO, that's not how a water slide decal is supposed to work! What a POS!

Tichy decals.jpg

We made it to Nagasaki this afternoon. I was last here with my son when he was about 6 and we did a (long) day trip -- mostly to ride certain trains he wanted to see from his Japan railroads DVDs. At the time we did visit the Atomic Bomb museum. At the time, the Shinkansen network didn't rally exist in Kyushu and you had to take a "Limited Express" at abut 60mph from Hakata, IIRC. Or maybe there was a short Shinkansen track into Kyushu. I kind of remember taking an 800 Shinkansen with back then in Kyushu. I don't remember exactly but we've only ever been in Kyushu one other time when we went to Kagoshima. I don't remember if the Shinkansen made it all the way down to Kagoshima at the time. I don't think it did. I think you had to switch in Hakata to the Kyushu Shinkansen.

Back then for Nagasaki there was a Limited Express called Sonic and one called Kamome. Now they've built out the Shinkansen network in Kyushu but they are to done. There is a Shinkansen into Nagasaki but it doesn't reach the regular Shinkansen from Hakata to Kagoshima yet so you go down a stop of two after Hakata and transfer to the Limited Express called "Relay Kamome" which takes about 45-50 minutes to get to the end station (including some slow downs and stops due to signals). At that end station you get on the new Kamome Shinkansen to get to Nagasaki. Eventually the track will meet up with the existing Shinkansen tracks.

Anyway, though I had ridden the 885 series "Kamome" back 13 years ago (been in service since 2000) we didn't have Green Car tickets like we did today and they are at the very front of the train (separate 4 row compartment in very front). And there is just a glass wall between you and the driver and the large windshield. It was very cool. When they stopped this glass wall would immediately go "fogged up" and when they started it would go clear again. So some sort of controllable film on the glass or something.

IMG_1701.jpgIMG_1704.jpgIMG_1705.jpg

Once we got to the Shinkansen station for the last 24 minute ride we were on a new N700S specifically built for the Nishi Kyushu Shinkansen, which is the one to Nagasaki. As I said they're still building out that track so only the last section was usable and it just went into service this year. The Shinkansen was on the same platform, on the other side. I've not seen that before and is probably because of this special "relay" service between Shinkansen lines. The first pic shows the transfer to the Shinkansen and the rest of them show it after we got to Nagasaki.

IMG_1725.jpgIMG_1760.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

Once we were there we took a street car to our hotel, checked in, grabbed a bite at McDonalds, and took another street car to the atomic bomb museum. I only got a pic of the street car to the hotel. The other one came as we walked out to it and I didn't have a chance to get a pic. It was on the same line going the other way and was a more modern street car. Their street cars spanned a couple generations.

IMG_1770.jpg

(this post was mostly written Tuesday evening Japan time but posted Wednesday morning Japan time due to extremely slow WiFi and delays in synching the phone photos so I could include them here on my Mac)

Awesome Xmas tree love the family picture, looks good enough to be in a nice Xmas 🍿 film
Thanks. This is the first time I've been able to put a 12' tree anywhere other than the school house lobby. The family picture is only 1/2 the family. That is my wife and her late husband with all their children. I have 7 of my own. So, total 13 now. With all the drama of that many people it could have been one of those Hallmark Xmas movies. Hmmm... maybe I should start writing the script now.

Some good news about my jet pump problems. The only part we didn't look at is gone. We didn't have time the day before Christmas to check everything. If your pump pressure stays at 30 and the pump doesn't shut off the injector part of the jet pump assembly is gone. I have to order the correct one now. That's just some information for those of you who have a jet pump. That is 2-line water wells less then 150ft deep. Photo of the injector below.
Swal

jet_pump_injector.JPG

I mentioned we went to the atomic bomb museum and the neighboring Peace Park. The museum is smaller than the one at Hiroshima but has some interesting artifacts and displays.

Nagasaki had a lot of European and Christian influence as the city where the Portuguese and Dutch traded in the 16th century and after foreigners were kicked out by the Shoguns, the Dutch were allowed an outpost on an island in Nagasaki for the time up until Japan re-opened to the world in the mid 19th century. During that time there were a lot of underground catholics and when it re-opened they built what was at the time the largest cathedral in East Asia. This cathedral was about 500 m from the "hypocenter" of the bomb blast and was destroyed, with just a few walls/columns left standing.

Out in the Peace Park, which is an open air park at and around the "hypocenter" (the spot on the ground under where the air burst bomb went off), there is a small piece of the cathedral that was left standing (that has been moved to the park) and there is a recreation of another piece that was left standing inside the museum. Not sure if the recreation include original material or not (like some statues that were part of the wall).

Anyway, the museum is very interesting and touches on all aspects of the event. There are technical descriptions, films of the bomb being prepared and loaded, various still and films of the actual blast, and lots and lots of photos after the blast (and some from before for comparison). Lots of broken stuff and melted glass and stuff is on display as well.

One thing I found interesting is that they have an exhibit called something like "Testimony of witnesses to the bomb blast" and they include both Japanese and Foreigners. There was a POW camp there and so a half dozen Australian former POWs were interviewed. The Australians talked about the torture, abuse, etc that they received at the hands of the Japanese guards and soldiers in the camp and the museum didn't censor any of that. They also said that overall they thought the bomb worth it as it saved a lot of Japanese and Allied lives by forestalling the need for an actual invasion. And none of that was censored either. I didn't get to listen to any of the Japanese or the there foreigners (Korean etc) eye witness testimonies as the museum was closing when we got to that section.

They also had section at the end about modern nuclear proliferation. It was mostly Cold War oriented though did talk about more current stuff and was mostly pacifistic but seemed to have a more even keel and more even "all sides of the topic" feel than the overly pacifistic Hiroshima displays. Of course the overall point is peace and not letting it happen again (which I think we can all agree with). As I said to my kids afterwards, "war sucks" and the little guy is the guys who dies for the most part. I also explained, in my opinion, that the "cat is out of the bag" and that it is better to "speak softly and carry a big stick". You can't put the genie back so it is better for the "good guys" to have enough to keep the bad guys from thinking about using them. Not an easy topic (and not one I am trying to open up here).

It is almost 8am here Wednesday and I am not sure yet what we are going to do with our half day still in Nagasaki. I wanted to find a museum or display about the Dutch presence during the Shogun times or some other historical thing but the kids are pushing back. We'll see.

Some pics from the museum and peace park including the hypocenter marker (large tall column thing). The statues from the cathedral show blackening and blast damage from the bomb.

IMG_1781.jpgIMG_1782.jpgIMG_1783.jpgIMG_1784.jpgIMG_1789.jpgIMG_1792.jpgIMG_1796.jpgIMG_1797.jpgIMG_1801.jpgIMG_1802.jpg

IMHO, that's not how a water slide decal is supposed to work! What a POS!
Come on, Alan, tell us what you really think!
I learned that lesson a couple years ago with a Tichy kit.
I copied the decals from a second kit onto a piece of giftwrap tissue paper, lightly sprayed it with clear spray.
After drying, I cut out the signs and glued them of the model.
Saves a lot of frustration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back