Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

it is a cool 6° F and light breeze, we are expecting a couple inches of snow overnight will be a yucky commute tomorrow,

rgeiter: take a hatchet and make a few blows on it. Hit it with a hammer or grab a log chain and swing that at it a few times. Maybe some fake dry blood.

Willie - you don't fool around when laying track! I am a bit envious of that large space you have!

TomO - do you use a sponge to get the green on the walls? it looks good to me

Ken - have you been naughty or nice? Trying to decide if it should be a lump of coal

We are going to the Cities (meaning St. Paul) for an overnight getaway with wife this weekend. I think I will schedule a trip to Hub Hobbies on Lexington and University. The best Christmas present to myself! Also need to buy some new pants, of course that is not as essential as the hobby store.

Back later, Dave LASM

Good morning all,

it is a cool 6° F and light breeze, we are expecting a couple inches of snow overnight will be a yucky commute tomorrow,

rgeiter: take a hatchet and make a few blows on it. Hit it with a hammer or grab a log chain and swing that at it a few times. Maybe some fake dry blood.

Willie - you don't fool around when laying track! I am a bit envious of that large space you have!

Ken - have you been naughty or nice? Trying to decide if it should be a lump of coal

We are going to the Cities (meaning St. Paul) for an overnight getaway with wife this weekend. I think I will schedule a trip to Hub Hobbies on Lexington and University. The best Christmas present to myself! Also need to buy some new pants, of course that is not as essential as the hobby store.

Back later, Dave LASM
Dave

No all done with a brush. No strokes just a jabbing motion. Followed the method from Chris Lyon you tube videos. He is a model railroader. Cheap Liquitex Arcylic paint in the tubes from Michael. I used a laser level to shoot the line and anything above the line was painted on about 1/2 the layout.

Good morning all,

Back later, Dave LASM
That’s already done. Looking for battle damaged paint ideas.

Good morning from about to be covered in white, So. Central Wisconsin. 1/2” expected to stick. I see the 5’ to 7’ Buffalo NY got a few weeks ago has melted. I am not worried about 1/2” but Terry’s TV weather guy who also doubles in the morning as the traffic reporter is. Geez, he has been here long enough. Snow below 6” is really of no concern unless it started as freezing rains.

Today, I will do a placement of buildings on the Paper Mill job. They are not detailed yet but the overall structures are complete. The daughter has my air compressor as she needed to install new trim and kick plates when I instructed her last week removing the cabinets to fit the new refrigerator. So no painting of anything today. I will get the buildings on and then fiddle with the exact track placement.

Last week I ordered .040 plain styrene sheet packs from the LHS. He told me yesterday he was informed they are back ordered for February delivery. I don’t need a lot for the roads and parking areas but I would prefer not to use my .060 sheets. Ordering .040 x 4’ x 8’ sheets is not justifiable for my needs. Still thinking…

I use Cell-u-clay as one of the ingredients in my ground cover mix. I might have enough but not likely. So, checking my local Michael’s, it is out of stock and unknown on the resupply. Same with the hated to me Hobby Lobby. Nothing to do with their business practices, more with the cheap products they sell. We have not had good experiences there. So Sculpt-a-mold, a very similar paper product will be purchased from Michael’s. Dick Blick online has both but at about 30% higher pricing. Tree making continued last night as I had the sound muted for the hockey games on last night. I now have 130 trees formed and that’s enough for the portion of the building I will plant them in. The next few days should see the bark texture added using the WS rubber mold compound. I am getting there.

Today, I have a few things to package up and maybe get to the post office before shutdown at 5. I still cannot drive and Terry is not home today. She and the Vet went to a Rescue meeting in Key West, Iowa, just south of Dubuque. I also need to create packaging for MY paper mill that I believe I sold yesterday. If he comes back Wednesday with cash, it will be his. He is a neighbor of the person I am building the 30” x 88” paper mill project for. Came recommended by the client but I just didn’t get good vibes from this guy yesterday.

I sold 4 weathered pulp cars of the Wisconsin Central yesterday. WC sells very well for me except gondolas that no matter the road name are a tough sell. I have decided to sell some of the 27 cars that are used for the 2005 operating sessions. Most are weathered but I will be pricing to sell. I sent out emails to most of the guys and 1 gal I have sold weathered rolling stock to since Covid began. Did that Sunday, positive responses received so today I will email them pictures and prices then wait till next Monday before putting them on the FB sell groups.

Reading all this makes it seems like I am really busy. Well, it doesn’t feel like it and I am not rushing anything so all is good. The one fly in the ointment is Terry did say I can pull the Christmas dishes out. Thankfully the SIL will come over and pull the bins for me, you know bad knee!

enjoy the day

Good morning all.

I’ve been tasked with something at work that I need a little help with.
I too, have struggled with painting a shield in the past.
The shields you have pictured seem to be stained. That means they are probably have an oily feel, which is problematic with water based paints.

It seems to me, that you'll have to decide on a pattern for each shield, thinking of them as just shields instead of medieval or Viking.
If you google painting shields, you can find lots of patterns. Like these:
Shield 2.jpg

Shield 3.jpg

Shield.png

If it were me painting these shields, I would first prime the entire shield with a grey primer. That would set for a few days.
Then I would mask off for the top coat pattern, and apply chosen colours in an acrylic. After the acrylic dried for a few hours, it could be gently rubbed with a cloth or brush to reveal the grey primer undercoat. This is an example of 'less is more'. You are trying to achieve a realistic weathering.
After that all dried for sufficient time, I would mask off the colour pattern, and spray the metal trims an iron colour. I'd be shooting for an effect like the middle photo shows.

This is just a suggestion on how I would approach it. Know that I am not an artist, though.
I have used the rub technique on small models before, and with great success.

Have a great day!

I too, have struggled with painting a shield in the past.
The shields you have pictured seem to be stained. That means they are probably have an oily feel, which is problematic with water based paints.

It seems to me, that you'll have to decide on a pattern for each shield, thinking of them as just shields instead of medieval or Viking.
If you google painting shields, you can find lots of patterns. Like these:
View attachment 157279
View attachment 157280
View attachment 157281

If it were me painting these shields, I would first prime the entire shield with a grey primer. That would set for a few days.
Then I would mask off for the top coat pattern, and apply chosen colours in an acrylic. After the acrylic dried for a few hours, it could be gently rubbed with a cloth or brush to reveal the grey primer undercoat. This is an example of 'less is more'. You are trying to achieve a realistic weathering.
After that all dried for sufficient time, I would mask off the colour pattern, and spray the metal trims an iron colour. I'd be shooting for an effect like the middle photo shows.

This is just a suggestion on how I would approach it. Know that I am not an artist, though.
I have used the rub technique on small models before, and with great success.

Have a great day!
The middle pic looks best, cause the hatchet and strike marks are consistent with the metal and wood. (as opposed to strike marks hitting the wood but missing the metal. Also, the worn paint.

I think the metal needs to be beat up as much as the wood. Also, using sandpaper altering the paint density gives a realistic appearance.

I made some progress over the weekend doing a test pour for my fictional Ohio River scene. I have a thread over in the "Showin' Off" forum with details.

Here's a pic of the riverbed painted... too much color for my liking, but hoping a murky water on top subdues it to a more natural hue. Then some pictures of my test... as painted, immediately after the test pour, and again, about 14 hours later. The topcoat is Acrylic Gloss Medium with 1 1:32 mixture of Raw Umber liquid dye. The last picture is at 14 hours, and the top coat is still very much a liquid at this point.

The Gloss Medium is a milky white in the bottle, but it cures completely clear. So these pictures look more slate gray that it will look once cured. I'll post more pictures tonight, which will be 48 hours into the cure. I believe it will take about 72 hours to cure to the point where the color has stabilized.
View attachment 157226

As painted above. Immediately after the pour (very slate colored) below. I think the white area wasn't mixed well. I was using an old sparyt paint cap to mix the test pour, and there is a little crevice down in there that kept some of the medium from mixing with the dye.
View attachment 157227

This last picture is at the 14 hour mark... still a lot of milky white affecting the color. I wish I would have snapped a pic this morning. at 24 hours, it has finally cured to a tacky touch, and no longer appears to be a liquid that flows when tilting the test bed.
View attachment 157228

If you have any suggestions, or if you're interested in following the test reslults, hop on over the my thread in the showing off forum.
Pls link I would love a look

If you can’t laugh or chuckle at some of these, well I feel for you. But at least smile. The Canadian one is for our friends up North. I know they will at least chuckleView attachment 157219View attachment 157220View attachment 157221View attachment 157222View attachment 157223View attachment 157224View attachment 157225
Good set but the lost r emote was brilliant,
stick libary - I had a dog once who would have tried to carry away the lot.

Labrador, we had a black Labrador called Sheba, for the Queen of as my mum loved it, (in our pc world nowadays I dare say she would get hammered) one time she was walking Ba as she was often called with a human friend, it was in heavy fog but on a safe walking flat area, then my dad approached and started making scary noises my mum and her friend were scared and Ba went and attacked my dad…we were never certain who was more scared my mum and friend of the noises wondering who the hell was making them, my dad when Ba went for him, or Ba when she discovered it was her beloved dad!

This is one of a number of times when our otherwise placid dogs showed they could and would protect the ones they love. gotta love a dog.

It's a bit chilly around here, with the mercury level sitting on -33F.
Suppose it's a work on the rail bridge day, even though I find it irritating. There's a-lot of plastic clean-up involved with this Walthers kit, and I'm certain I'd find it more entertaining were it wood.
Bridge_12-06-2022.JPG
I may as well get to it, as I'm not going outside to play. Already been out there, and it's not pretty.

Have a great day!

Troy

Many hours and years as kid growing up spending time in front of the mirror and in speech therapy one on one. Training with sounds and vibrations. It was by no means easy. Frustrating and very difficult to master. I was determined and didn't accept being different. I got so good that I could blend easily. I still have difficulty with woman soft tone voices but could lip read them. Men with thick mustaches or beards could be difficult to read lips as well. Some people with a different dialect or accent could be a challenge but usually within 20 minutes or less of talking and listening to them I could master listening and understand what was being said. I could be dangerous too. I can read lips and facial expressions of people off to a certain distance and know what was being discussed or said. One important factor Troy is that I had great parents that recognized my needs when I was a kid and they worked and practiced with me. Their teachings, understanding and love helped a lot. When at work I never tell anyone of my hidden talents (my super power) I just let them assume I just have a hearing impairment if they notice my hearing aids. Most people do not notice or care to ask about it either. Fine by me. Troy how old is the niece? She should learn ASL (American Sign Language)...this will also teach her to read facial expression and will help tremendously as well. Always good to have another form of communication as well with sign language too.
Neice is in her mid 40s. Not sure if she learned ASL or not. She hated hearing aids when she was an early teen and gave up on them early.

Afternoon All,

I got the verdict on my laptop. Guess who is getting a new laptop for Christmas? The repair guy said the cost of repacing the entire screen area including hinges plus replacing the failing mechanical hard drive with a solid state one would be between $450-500. Based on that MOH ordered a rebuilt one from Dell. The computer guy said good choice and did not charge me for his time.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
i took some Christmas themed HO cars in to McWane for my Sunday afternoon shift.
Here are some pics.

20221204_141747xa.jpg

Christmas tree in pickup by the drive in theater.
20221204_150512x.jpg

Another shot of the pickup.
20221204_150207x.jpg

Xmas boxcar with flatcars in background.
20221204_141152x.jpg

Who would not like Santa to bring them a new tractor?
20221204_150446x.jpg

My favorite water tower.

Some funny little trains. Enjoy !

This is fantastic Christian, formidable.
What train show was this. In Holland we have a train show in the Dutch Railway museum (Nederlands Spoorwegmuseum) called Ontraxs. Several layouts from different countries, high quality. Every year some French friends come to show their new (for us new) creations. Mainly narrow gauge. Really good. Every year I try to talk to them in french, ending up in english, due to my lack of knowledge of the french language.

Swal: Agree with Patrick, except you might think about going to 48" door width as getting 2 bodies ( 1 pushing, 1 sitting ) through the door is interesting at best - seems like you always need to redirect the chair to some angle because there is almost always something you need to bend around on either side of the door: maybe not now, but it will happen. Also, you might create a blob the size of a wheelchair with person sitting in it scaled to your drawing, then drive it around inside the bathroom. Looks a tad cramped IF someone needs to push the wheelchair in and maneuver it around.

Later
I agree, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back