Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

Happy to read the discussions about All Saints Day, great when everyone is so polite and civil and I wish our whole country could discourse like this!

Chad - I would not seal due to expansion issues with moisture, however Smudges suggestion about the tarp probably the best, or maybe poly film.

Guy - snow = bummer. I hate that first snow personally. I am ok with snow in general, just not quite yet. We are going for 73° today in east central Minnesota which is notorious for getting its fair share of snow. May change Thursday.

George - aquaduct looks GREAT, glad I could be of some service with the reminder

Was painting on figures last night, that is a slow process for me. These are all works in progress:

IMG_2809r.JPG

I usually put a little paint on my glass cutting board and maybe a drop of water and mix together to get the right consistency then use my smallest brush and magnifier

Most of these guys will be driving the horse drawn wagons, also the shepard not sure how his shirt and jacket really look, I know most of these guys have a beard that goes on last with the boots

more later, Dave LASM

Good morning!

QUESTION: What would people suggest if I wanted to more permanently seal the joints between the sub-floor OSB sheets?
There is an acrylic latex caulk (Alex Plus) available in the DAP product line that can be used as a sealant on the sheeting edges. It's a less expensive proposition over silicone and it will accept future glues, grouts or what have you. You'll need to shovel the snow off the floor. Standing water will be a greater threat at separating the sub-floor resins over draining water.
Also, you should have used lead anchors to secure the window well, instead of concrete screws, as they are more dependable.

11-02-2022.JPG

A couple of lead anchor types.
11-02-2022 (2).JPG

Good morning from the Arizona desert near Cave Creek. 5:49 as I write this and I have been awake about 1 hour. My sleep schedule is still on Wisconsin time. I am tired as hit the sack locally at 11:30pm which is 1:30 in Wisconsin so about 5+ hours of tossing and turning.

We did ok on the golf course but I had 2 holes with the lowest score including handicap and the brother one. So while our golf wasn’t the best we made a bit of money between the 2 of us. Of the 144 teams of 2 we were the only ones to have multiple winning holes, in our flight or grouping. 2 different courses today for best ball and then a scramble. For you golfers out there this is a 3 day Calcutta event played on 90 holes over 2 courses. There are 2 flights of 144 golfers, totaling 576 golfers and the dinner/banquet/ payout dinner last night was huge.

That‘s yesterday, Golf and food. Today food, golf, food, golf then food again.

Morning all,

Currently 55° and clear with a high of 78° later. High wind advisory for this afternoon into this evening. Prelude to a front coming through that the weather guessers indicate will bring a bit of something called rain Thursday night into Friday.

Noticed a rancher with a fairly shallow pond that holds about 3' of water digging it out that past couple of days. His biggest issue is that it has a low side next to the county ditch. A year ago he redid the dam and installed a pipe drain. The water will never get to it as it flows out on the street side into the county ditch. He's down at least 10-12' in the middle, near as I can tell. Still will have the issue against the street as his overflow is on the high side of the land.

Good morning all,

Happy to read the discussions about All Saints Day, great when everyone is so polite and civil and I wish our whole country could discourse like this!

Chad - I would not seal due to expansion issues with moisture, however Smudges suggestion about the tarp probably the best, or maybe poly film.

Guy - snow = bummer. I hate that first snow personally. I am ok with snow in general, just not quite yet. We are going for 73° today in east central Minnesota which is notorious for getting its fair share of snow. May change Thursday.

George - aquaduct looks GREAT, glad I could be of some service with the reminder

Was painting on figures last night, that is a slow process for me. These are all works in progress:

View attachment 155210

I usually put a little paint on my glass cutting board and maybe a drop of water and mix together to get the right consistency then use my smallest brush and magnifier

Most of these guys will be driving the horse drawn wagons, also the shepard not sure how his shirt and jacket really look, I know most of these guys have a beard that goes on last with the boots

more later, Dave LASM
I still need to start painting my track crew, for some reason I keep putting it off, dunno why, scared I'll stuff it up I think.

Morning folks!

A day of celebratory festivities for me.....I made it around the sun once again! I hope to make it again next year! In the mean time I will be going over to my parents for dinner tonight. A bit somber not having my baby sister around to celebrate my day but life does go on.

I may buy a birthday present for my self late tonight online who knows.....or may just kick back and watch a movie.

In the office today. The weather has been quite nice lately. This weekend is projected to be in the 70s. I have to finish stacking wood and clean garage in bay 2 now that bay 1 is done. I will go out to lunch today and probably get a chicken quesadilla!

Ya'll have a good one!

Last edited:
If you've any tarp or plastic sheeting, lay that over the top and secure with more planking or bricks, or whatever heavy is to hand.

I was going to use plastic sheeting over the large stair opening but ran out of time (it was getting dark and dreary last night when I placed the scaffolding planks over the large area) and it would make it harder to remove and open up again.

In terms of placing it over the whole floor -- it is rather large and would make it harder to work on the floor. It is a thought I will consider. I'd like to actuaklly seal it if possible with some substance. :)

Good morning!

There is an acrylic latex caulk (Alex Plus) available in the DAP product line that can be used as a sealant on the sheeting edges. It's a less expensive proposition over silicone and it will accept future glues, grouts or what have you. You'll need to shovel the snow off the floor. Standing water will be a greater threat at separating the sub-floor resins over draining water.
Also, you should have used lead anchors to secure the window well, instead of concrete screws, as they are more dependable.

View attachment 155211

A couple of lead anchor types.
View attachment 155212

The actual window well will be done by others and they will do whatever they normally do. This small one well is light enough and designed to be used with concrete bolts. It has a large number of holes to screw it in, and once the dirt is piled in, it will hold it against the house anyway.

WIth the floor edge, I used a water resistant or water proof gap-filler spray foam. We'll se how it works out.

Thanks for the concerns of a sealant on the floor seams limiting expansion based on moisture. I hadn't thought of that. I have gotten edge expansion already after the last rain/snow and the standing water left for a few days before we got the snow shoveled off a week or two ago. Edge expansion in small amounts is not a problem but I'd like to avoid excessive amounts (all the seams are slightly higher than the actual board which is not a problem long term as this will have foam board insulation and gypcrete on top of it before the actual LVP planking is laid).

We'll see how my initial efforts with the foaming around the edges and the temporary seam tape work as today is a rain turning to snow or frozen mix day...

Good Morning All. It's foggy and 56° this morning. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast for Friday, but still great weather and temperatures until a week from Friday when the NWS is predicting a cold front. Do they really know?
Day of the Dead, or All Soul's Day today.

Yesterday's cardiologist visit was positive. He was not concerned about my fluctuating BP a whole lot, as it is remaining in the high normal range to him. He did up the dose of a medication that he had reduced two months ago. Something called Amlodipine. He also reduced the frequency of Lasix to once a week. Obviously not too concerned as the next appointment is six months away. I got an education on when the optimal time to take my own blood pressure was. First thing in the morning is definitely a no-no. That had me concerned as last week I was intensively taking and logging readings 7-8 times a day. Wake up readings were in the 165/92± range.
Visits to him are highly regimented, which in the whole scheme of things are OK. I always go into the inner exam room within 2 minutes of my appointment times, It takes another 2 minutes to take my blood pressure, he shows up with the physician's assistant usually as the nurse is finishing that up, and stays exactly 15 minutes. At 13 minutes, he stands up and I know to ask any final questions quickly. No small talk or other chit-chat. I do appreciate that I never have to wait. In and out the front door in 20 minutes.

We went to Outback for supper last night with one of the many gift cards that we received for our golden anniversary. We mentioned this to our server and she comped a freebie carrot cake to us. Even though our anniversary was two months ago, by subtlety [sp?] dropping that hint when dining out, we continue to get free desserts all over the place.

Yesterday, I scalped part of the yard with the mower for the winter. I haven't seen any sign of the perennial rye grass yet that usually covers the yard and roadsides during winter. But I have seen a couple of snakes on the move in the past few days. They're headed for their winter quarters to sort of hibernate. They don't really hibernate, but their metabolism slows way down below 60° F and they appear to hibernate. On the SFW estate, they head for the void under the floor in the barn or the crawl space under the train shed. On occasion they get into the house through slight voids in the flooring around drain pipes. Round drain pipes, square holes!

Thanks again for the likes and comments regarding the latest project and the random meanderings.

Between the doctor visit, mowing the yard, All Saint's Day Mass, and going out for dinner; I didn't get a lot accomplished out in the train shed yesterday. However I did find two vents to add to the roof of the diner to replace the faulty one. These came from a DPM modular kit of roofs.
IMG_2333.JPG

Here they are painted and installed, along with the vent and chimney over the kitchen in the rear.
IMG_2334.JPG

Wow! 57 posts in the Coffee Shop yesterday to review. That and a bunch in other threads. So I am late in replying this morning!
Smudge - No I am not attempting to duplicate Running Bear's Coffee Shop with my diner. Good suggestion though, but I am not up for the required artwork, even though I could copy it from your picture.
Be safe out there in the wind.
Patrick - It isn't that I don't trust Windows products, I just don't like their intrusiveness. Although reading some comments here in the last few days, it seems that Apple is the same way. I did check and I do have Windows Security activated along with AVG; I haven't had any clashes that I know of. Reloading AVG isn't a real issue to me as I just use it on this one desktop.
Guy - Your picture of the snowfall reminds me why I like living in North Central Texas, where it is still shorts and tee shirt weather until mid to late December. We've had 75°+ temperatures on Christmas many times.
Jaz - I had a very devout grand aunt in Brooklyn who walked three blocks to her Catholic church for Mass seven days a week for over 50 years until her passing.
Joe -
the coffee shop forum is named for the late Jeffrey Wimberly, aka Running Bear. a long time member, and prolific poster.
Can you imagine what it would be like if we had "likes" back then! He is still the second most prolific poster despite passing away 8 years ago.
Ironically even though Dallas Cowboy fans and management hated Buddy Ryan very intensively, Jerry Jones did hire his son Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator for a couple of years in 2011-2012.
Todd - That was my first "Scratch & Sniff" experience as well.
George - Nice progress on the aqueduct. Faster than my usual progress.
Hughie - Ditto to you on the Shipyard Brewery. You and George obviously have longer work sessions than I do. ;)
Happy Birthday James.

Everyone have a great day.

My understanding is that most commercial beef cows are fed corn to fatten them up (at least at the end) and that imparts a different taste to range grass fed cows meat. I know the "grass fed" butter we buy is much better tasting and the "grass fed" beef I've had is a bit different in taste.
Grass fed is organic, feeding animals go grain and rubbish makes poorer meat, if you can afford it grass fed is healthier, fyi Lidl does a grass fed range and their rib eyes are very competitively priced,plus higher fat is actually good for you all the rubbish about saturated fat I’d bad for you I’d rubbish, you put into your body what your body needs to make ie he correct building blocks, whicmeand gristle is good to eat although I sympathise that it is hard to make it attractive,

I was going to use plastic sheeting over the large stair opening but ran out of time (it was getting dark and dreary last night when I placed the scaffolding planks over the large area) and it would make it harder to remove and open up again.

In terms of placing it over the whole floor -- it is rather large and would make it harder to work on the floor. It is a thought I will consider. I'd like to actuaklly seal it if possible with some substance. :)
The problem with sealing it is that you need to inspect it every so often and to allow the basement to breath that will ensure your not having any issues underneath, a large tarp will allow pretty easy access, sealing means a lot more work and expense.

The problem with sealing it is that you need to inspect it every so often and to allow the basement to breath that will ensure your not having any issues underneath, a large tarp will allow pretty easy access, sealing means a lot more work and expense.

This is mostly just for during construction while the roof is not yet on. The problem with a tarp or plastic sheeting, besides being slippery to walk on, is that we have to install ICF bracing by screwing into the floor, and a lot of stuff where that would "get in the way" of the construction. For now, just the temporary seam tape is what I am doing and trying to get to the roof stage as quickly as possible. I had originally hoped to get there by December of some sort but at the rate of (non) work by the people who are supposed to be putting in the passive foundation drain, back filling, and connecting the sewer laterals, and also some missing materials needed to go higher (supposed to have been here a week or two ago and I am still trying to track it down), I don't think we are going to get there that soon.

It will be "sealed" once the foam is overlayed and then 1 1/2" of gypcrete (lightweight concrete using sand and gypsum powder instead of aggregate) is poured on top. At that point there is a mechanical ventilation system in the house which helps the air-tight house breathe. We have a Zehnder ventilation system I will be installing. Most of which has already arrived and is either already on a pallet in the basement (main unit and a big box of this foamy tubing for air input/output) or in our storage facilities (more of the foamy input/output pieces --this time 45 deg angles -- plus all sorts of misc parts and registers and stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back