Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really only have one active moderator any more.
Willie: It's a thankless job, and he does well. I'm not cut out for it. A good moderator has to be objective even when it hurts. Mod also has to put up with all sorts of BS that we don't see.
Tom O: Happy Birthday to Terry and Yourself.

One of my therapists, is a pleasant young woman of Indian descent. She and her husband also of Indian descent, recently finished a vacation to Turkey, where they toured a museum of Pre Christian Era Roman artifacts found in archeological digs in Constantinople (Istanbul). Very interesting conversation. Not something we give much thought to here. The Romans were everywhere during their prime. Amazing what they accomplished way back then.

Hurricane Ian
is a really nasty storm with winds measured at 135knt - 155knt. Hope those folks on Florida's Gulf Coast took this seriously. Due to the intensity, Phil and Curt are also going to feel the wind and rain from across the state. Headed toward GA, SC, NC then TN, KY, WV and VA by Sunday and Ohio Monday.

PRR Ferry New Brunswick.png

PRR Ferry, NY Harbor between Jersey City and Lower Manhattan.

Was this the one used for a snowplow?
Not a snow plow, but as a snow thrower. The Blower on the back end not only cleared switches of snow and ice, but ballast, splice bars and other debris. Big problem was keeping the damn thing on the track. Use was limited to cleaning switches at the Electric Loco and Diesel Shops and the Landlith Enginehouse.

Louis: The paintings featured in the article are instantly recognizable. There are just some places that one cannot forget. I was last there in 1985.
Living in the Baltimore area, permitted the wife and I to do many things we couldn't do anywhere else. For instance, we had subscriptions to the Mechanic Theater / Lyric Opera House, and the BSO. It was a different world.

Birds need one more win to guarantee a .500 season. Hope they get that tonight!

Ugh... trying a new resin in the 3D printer:

For those of you in the hobby:
NEW: Elegoo ABS-Like 2.0 for durability and flex on models.
Old: Sirayatech Fast

The NEW is STINKY! I'm wearing a mask when I'm in the printing area, and I'm running my small paint booth fan while the resin is in the printer.

Not a fan of the product, but do like the results.

think I may figure out what skeletons I need printed, and bang those out tomorrow, then bottle it up and stick it in the Emergency Use Only spot.

I was warned that it was stinky. And a few people have developed allergies to it. If I decide to keep using it, I'll have to get a better ventilation system for that room.

Terry - While I don't always agree, I fully support you as a moderator. I hope that the situation is resolved in short order.
Agreed! Terry has my support and always has since he joined the forum a few years after me. Over the years he and Bob have been awesome. We have had a lot of people come and go but I am proud of this forum and have always enjoyed the knowledge and banters here! :D😁 We all have some talent in this hobby and it shows along with our comradery. So thank you Terry and everyone else!

Good morning.
Our favorite Frenchman has once again run afoul of the anti-spam program, and his 14 current user id's have been blocked.

In other news, I've asked Bob to look into recruiting some help, since I seem to be the only active moderator.
Terry I know the feeling I am still an admin/mod on a site with over 700,000 members We finally just deleted the forum part got real tired of deleting 20 to 50 posts a day gave them warnings to no avail even deleted members sometimes 10 at a time was a circus

Just a question is Sherrel coming back ? I saw most of the posts that got deleted and really not seeing a reason for him to be awol

Just my 2 cents Mike

Last edited:
Are your external hard drives SSD or other? I went through this 4 years ago and switched everything to SSD. I am not an Apple user I use Android Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G. It has 128 GB internal storage and 250 GB micro SD card storage. I can use the cloud but I have a Wifi system at home for my own "cloud" a 'closed circuit' encrypted that my phone backs up to on to SDD by Seagate 8 TB and WD 6 TB. I do not use google or any other proprietary cloud system. This system is not connected to the outside world as I do not have internet service at home or cable. I use my phone if I need internet etc. The world wide web doesn't need my info or pics. I do a back up once a month with the phone and laptop. I will never fill those drives but it's nice to have them.
James Sounds like a good setup My one home pc has 3 4TB sata drives plus two M.2 2TB ssd on the motherboard It's networked to another similar pc just without the M.2 drives Just make sure with the ssd drives there's certain things you do not do to them

Here's a few more pictures from the Foley Railroad Museum in Foley AL.
Here is the view when you first enter the layout room.
IMG_1963[1].JPG

At the center right there is a small scene at the top of the pillar.
IMG_1964[1].JPG

Out of view in the first photo is another mini-scene.
IMG_1988[1].JPG

And nearby is the "revenoor guard".
IMG_1989[1].JPG

Across the bridge is the typical hobo camp.
IMG_1986[1].JPG

Some engines.
IMG_1983[1].JPG

IMG_1981[1].JPG

At the other end is a circus and a drive-in theater.
IMG_1970[1].JPG

IMG_1972[1].JPG

IMG_1974[1].JPG

As I might have previously posted, the model railroad was donated to the museum by a local businessman Alan Goldman, in 2004. It took a while to reconstruct and was first opened in 2007. An important part of the endowment was that it was always have free admission. It is open three days a week, Tues, Thurs, and Sat from 10:00 to 3:00. Normally visitors observe from a gallery, but this was the second time that I was invited to come inside the operating area to take pictures and talk with one of the members of the "Caboose Club".
More to come later as I sort through many more pictures. This is hard to do using the camera as an external hard drive, but I promised my wife that I would not download the pictures on to her laptop.

Going to make it quick today. The arm is a hurtin'.

My Ex wife is in Florida now in Nokomis, FL, just above Fort Meyers. Lost power a few hours ago. Hope she's enjoying Florida. I'll take the snow thank you very much.

I did venture out after lunch to get my Oxy prescription refilled. Guess they don't give out medals for pain.

Willie - Like the photos, keep them coming. Loved your statement about your nephew's wife. I have done the same thing, asking people WHY they hate Trump. Crickets. Guess they hate him because some other asshole hates him and it seems to be a good thing.

Dave - Again, another great photo.

Ken
- Another thing I have to laugh at is when people grasp onto a subject and spew information that has been proven wrong months, if not years ago.

The arm is bad. Going to call it quits for now and put some ice on the shoulder.

thumbnail_20190113_130505.jpgthumbnail_20190113_130233.jpgthumbnail_20190113_130057.jpgthumbnail_20181223_130645.jpgthumbnail_20190113_121902.jpg

Later

The framer wanted the open space widened out so he can put his crane there to bring pallets of wood in Friday for his guys so I rented an excavator for the day and the home builder who is working with me as advisor and does the things I don't want to do had one of their guys come to run it (since I am inexperienced it would take me 5x longer). Just widening out by removing the bottom (South) end of the big dirt pile 6-8 feet and smoothing out the pile of gravel that was there.

I bought the guy lunch as he was a nice guy and I want him to want to work for me.

IMG_6136.jpeg68608779213__B94B2ECB-3527-4F2B-8C35-3E29863CE00C.jpeg

The framer wanted the open space widened out so he can put his crane there to bring pallets of wood in Friday for his guys so I rented an excavator for the day and the home builder who is working with me as advisor and does the things I don't want to do had one of their guys come to run it (since I am inexperienced it would take me 5x longer). Just widening out by removing the bottom (South) end of the big dirt pile 6-8 feet and smoothing out the pile of gravel that was there.

I bought the guy lunch as he was a nice guy and I want him to want to work for me.

View attachment 152498View attachment 152499
@chadbag
What you need is a bigger excavator. Whats the jobsite address? ;)
cx800-7.jpg

Judge hit #61 this evening in Toronto. Ball fell into the Bull Pen. Got to see it on instant replay while watching Leafs play on Sportsnet. Mets & Miami tied in the 10th, Atlanta loses to Nats in 10. Birds fail to clinch .500 Season, in loss to BoSox. In NHL Preseason Toronto 3, Habs 0; Capitals 3, Flyers 1.

Good evening. Back from the granddaughter’s softball game. They came over afterwards for birthday cake and it’s peaceful again.

I am in the cave watching the Blackhawks and Wings and also the Maple Leaf and Canadiens in preseason NHL games. I have no clue why I turned the TV on and then found the games. Both in the 3rd period or I would be here measuring and cutting wires for tree armatures. NHL games up to USA Thanksgiving usually is when I cut the wires to size. Builds up a good inventory for twisting the wires to create the armatures. Last year was the first time in maybe 8 years I still had some twisted armatures left and not made into trees. After Thanksgiving I begin twisting up around 20 wire tree armatures per game in the 4-6” (30‘-50’ in HO) range and about 5 between 6“ to 9”. Builds a nice inventory of armatures when I finally want or need to make trees. I need to get the supplies ready for the next game I watch.

They showed hi-lites of Aaron Judge going for home run 61 going for a record! Record what? I just checked there still are 5 hitters that have more then 64 home runs in a season. Did they wipe those records out? Bonds, McGuire and Sosa, multiple times for Sosa and McGuire. I barely even check in on MLB

The pictures the network tech said will be recovered and any problems with the HARDWARE are covered under the service warranty. It will take a few days but since we will be gone anyway, it’s ok. He didn’t think it would be too tough, just more time then he had available today.

Heading north tomorrow with the hope we are gone by 8AM. If we get out by 9 though I will rejoice!

be safe

As for my 3d printing fumes, I just remembered that the printer manufacturer makes little activated carbon filters to put inside the printer. Two for $24 - powered via rechargeable bats.
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 10.41.06 PM.png

A couple of podcasters/vloggers I follow use them for this very purpose. I'll give them a shot. I'm liking the new resin. Good detail and a bit more flexible than the other one I was using. Just a stronger odor. Hope the filters help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back