Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you can dance though, my other half is just shy of 6 foot but is short legged, and an ex was similar, both have great mobility and are agile dancers, low balance gives improved balance apparently.
Low center of gravity is what you are looking for to give good balance. Also a more kindly description for a woman disadvantaged with a large posterior (these yanks might not know what a posterior is by the way)

Each state has their own laws. IIRC Utah allows licensed concealed cary in schools and state sponsored univeristies/colleges but otherwise those are "gun free". Stores can post it and if you get caught can ask you to leave and it is otherwise trespass. I believe that is the same for churches. (There is a specific part of the law governing churches and I forget the details but they have to post or otherwise make it known).

Places that are under federal law (airports etc) are off limits.
Well it was fortuitous for the church that did when it was attacked and they defended

Good morning all,

Thanks for the assistance - so far staying strong. I actually do need a road loco, I only have one, a 4-6-2 steamer in Great Northern colors.

So for you who actually know RR ops, did RS-3s actually do mainline point-to-point hauls, or were they mostly used as switchers and locals?

Went for a bike ride yesterday (pedal-power, not Harley-esque). Beautiful day even with the stiff breeze which was mostly cross. We rode the Dakota Rail trail from Wayzata, MN to St. Boniface, MN. Round trip is 26 miles. There's a very nice and bike-friendly pub/bistro at St. Boniface where we stopped a rested with a nice beer. Smudge may appreciate the wife's choice: Taddy Porter from Yorkshire - Sam SMith, I think it was? I had a local cream ale from Surly Brewery. Nice. On the way back, though, I noticed her back tire going flat. No pump with us. About halfway, there was a bike maintenance station that had a pump, so got her going. But def a fairly significant slow leak as was going pretty flat again. Decided not to stop at the Drive-In for their yummy raspberry shakes and push on back to the car. She gave out about two miles shy, so I rode in and then drove to pick her up. Stopped at WHole Foods for burger patties, cole slaw makings, and baked beans. Sat on the back deck with her martini and my single-malt and fired up the grill. Wonderful dinner.

Going to see Top Gun Maverick today and looking forward to it. Then dinner with my youngest daughter. A nice Father's Day. My sons, of course, will completely ignore it as they both still hate me and the woman who brought them into this world. And they are of the 'tolerant' political persuasion! Hurts.

All those Fathers out there, I hope you have a great day! - - - Steve J

PS - - bike-mounted tire pump already ordered!

Almost forgot to mention. Today is the first of our outdoor worship services. Started this about three years ago and have three outdoor services on the third Sundays of June, July and August. Our musician takes these days off and I use recorded worship/praise music. Fun.

Do those things ever get top-heavy if everyone goes upstairs?
A little, they will lean to 28 degrees before they go over, but you've got to be doing some serious speed round a corner to manage that.
These are both London Transport Routemaster Buses

These are old videos, but the same tests are still carried out today.

And they are extremely stable, even in the wet.

Jump to 3:12

And sometimes we also do some modern Bus Racing.

Last edited:
Not trains, but boats. Your double decker trials reminded me of the time our ship also did some trials and almost sunk. I was on the bridge at the time briefing the admiral as shipmates kept pumping and pumping to get the water out after a new tank system and the trials did not go as planned.

04673452-6B4A-4F8D-B68B-EC1BA00B6923.png

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin very close (13 miles) to the home of the original Culver’s. Temperature here is 55f degrees, partly cloudy and a 0 to 2% chance of rain today. Even though it looks like Mother Nature is bringing in storm type clouds to mess with the human mind. 83f degrees later today.

Terry finished yesterday the 3 acres of yard I tried cutting on Friday morning. 1st time on a mower for her since 1986 when we sold the No. Central Wisconsin campground, 5 minutes of instruction and she was fine.

Culvers is fine, much much better then the processed fast food places.(McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s). A butter burger with everything is so much better then the above fast food burgers. But for cheese curds, at least in Wisconsin there are hundreds of places to buy fried cheese curds that are so much better. The absolute best for me was right across the lake when we lived up north. The Mullins Cheese Factory’s retail store in Knowlton, Wi. is #1 in my book with the Old Fashion on the Capital Square in Madison a close 2nd. 3rd in my book is the Vintage Brew Pub in Sauk City about a mile from the founding original Culvers. If the cheese curds are all a uniform shape they are processed in a factory and should be avoided as they won’t be fresh.

mikeinhubcity, your Route 66 and Patrick’s have quite the difference in history. But your drive is very nice during the Fall change of colors. How was the Strawberry Fest train show?

Felt pretty good for maybe 80 to 90% of the day yesterday. That missing 10 to 20% is very frustrating but it will come along. I just have to be patience.

Have a great day

Good Morning!
The sun's out, which is nice. It needs to do it's job, and warm this place up. Only 49F at 6:45am.

The wife went to work today, and I'll try to get some modelling in and cut the lawn. I don't want to spend too much time in the forest with the dog, because the G-kids might come over, considering it's Fathers Day. We'll see if my son's remember where they came from, or not.

I'll make a confession today. 25 years ago, I divorced my children's mother due to major issues. Mainly, because my ex-wife discovered cocaine and became a crackhead. I won custody of all 3 of her children; those being my own son, and two children from unknown fathers.
For a long time, I was a single parent. I know all about the trials and difficulties that single parents endure.
My current wife was a mail-order from Asia. She was living in grass-shack poverty, and needed me as much as I needed her. We're still together, 20yrs later.
Anyway, every Father's Day, I wonder if those children I tried so hard to help, remember the pains I went through. It's not obvious to me all the time that they do. A visit on this day would be nice, though.

Moving onto the bus discussion, I happen to really like those British double decker's. I would like to ride one; suppose that would make me look like a tourist if I did.
We are only a small western town, but, we do have a transit bus running around. It's route takes exactly 1 hour to take me downtown, and then back home. It's a very pleasant ride, when I just feel like relaxing. If I do my downtown business within 1.5hrs, then the whole ride only cost's $3.00.
I think that's cheaper than driving the pick-up at today's gas prices. My calculations show that gas is around $6.77US/gal today.
Here's a photo of Whitecourt Transit going right by my neighbourhood:
TransitWtCrt_06-17-2022 (1).JPG

My sons, of course, will completely ignore it as they both still hate me and the woman who brought them into this world.
SteveJ - I find that difficult to believe. You would of had to be monsters, for the word 'hate' to be brought into the picture. Perhaps, they are just trying to find their own way.

Well, I'd better get that mutt walked, just in-case I have visitors coming over. Have a great day!!

Good morning all, 61 and sunny in east central Minnesota

Boris - I like to switch up my era from time to time as well, however usually do not wait 8 years! Maybe 8 days.

Guy - 44 years ago I was building my first log cabin. Went up north to some land my Dad owned with a couple college buddies. That did not last long, as work got in the way, but by Dec. 25, 1980 I was living in my first one that was "livable". It was 26 x 40, what they now call "off the grid" (used to be considered only for the poor not able to afford electricity), sand point well bored right in the kitchen (during construction). I built several more till bones got too brittle (now).

Culvers - 😃 Cheese curds - 😃😃

Karl - wait till you taste them (cheese curds), tast 10x better than they look

Steve - hope your outdoor service goes well. We had them once a month at NorthHaven, in North St. Paul. That is where wife and I attended while living in the cities.

Snapped this photo of the wildflowers in our front yard, too bad a bunch of birds did not show up for the shot

IMG_2271.JPG

Big accomplishment, facia and framework of layout painted:

IMG_2272.JPG

hard to see cause it is black. I like it, really finishes out the project (which is not done BTW)

IMG_2274.JPG

Lots of cleaning up left to do, most of the wiring is done now as well, so lots of my tools and stuff can be put away.

Time to get ready for church, be back tomorrow which is a day off for me, dentist and doctor appointments all afternoon!

Dave LASM

Not trains, but boats. Your double decker trials reminded me of the time our ship also did some trials and almost sunk. I was on the bridge at the time briefing the admiral as shipmates kept pumping and pumping to get the water out after a new tank system and the trials did not go as planned.

View attachment 147563
I've heard of "Hard a port", but that's going to far. 🤣

Haven't been here for quite awhile. Life gets in the way. Could use a large plate of ham&eggs, shredded hash browns, sourdough toast, a waffle, & a large mug of tomato juice please.
one of our summer & winter visitors
one of my tasks in the past 2 wks was this large fallen branch from the Manitoba Maple.
barley skimmed thru the last 15 pages - informative & entertaining
3 inches of moisture this month so far.
longest day of the yr here in my neck of the woods & I am still wearing long sleeved acrylic sweater outside.. really tired of not seeing temps above 60F !

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back