Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

Actually going to have to wait on the retirement for a while. House needs to be paid off (our biggest expense) as does the truck. Don't owe any other outstanding bills. Couple of my funds won't pay out until I'm 65 (4 more years) and I really want to hold out for maximum social security. By payments we've got 7 more years on the house, by amount due, we have just under 4. Looking forward to finally paying off a house we own BEFORE we sell it and move.

Got the wife's new computer this morning and I may be in trouble, No touch screen. on the plus side, it has a usbc port that will also charge the computer, so when the power connector has a problem, we can still charge it. Already blew all the McAfee and manufacturers monitoring software off the unit. Surprising how much faster the machine runs without that crap.
I got a new laptop recently, completely wiped the hard drive and then did a fresh install of Windows 11 on it. Next I'm going to resize the partition to make room for a Linux dual boot. I prefer Linux but occasionally need Windows too.

I got a new laptop recently, completely wiped the hard drive and then did a fresh install of Windows 11 on it. Next I'm going to resize the partition to make room for a Linux dual boot. I prefer Linux but occasionally need Windows too.
Yipes! I was a UNIX system administrator for 10 years or so. True Bell Labs Unix, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, and finally all variations of Linux. Now I can't stand the sight of it. My choice is big iron like IBM zOS and the like. Can't afford one of those at home.

Good Afternoon everyone. Cold and rainy here in the Ozark Foothills. Willie some more great pics as well as the others. that posted there layout pics. Thanks for the likes and complements yesterday The other day I had to move my O scale Coal operation so the hoppers could get unloaded better. I like it now where it’s at gives a different look to the layout. Enjoy your day. View attachment 143367View attachment 143368View attachment 143369View attachment 143370View attachment 143371View attachment 143372View attachment 143373View attachment 143374
Lee- I really like the variety of vehicles you have on your layout.

Last edited:
Health insurance was the biggest reason I went back to work after retiring from the police department. Also, I felt like I was too young to be fully retired at the time. Not at all sorry I went back to work.
Interesting, I would have retired at 30 had it been a option. I think my post retirement to-do list is in the thousands of entries! Guessing I won't get to most of them before I die.

Lee- I really like the variety of vehicles you have on your layout.
Thanks for the complement I have just a few on there now. Here’s some pics when I have the Layout in the steam era.
8EF84620-A4E1-4440-97B7-1D7BA65D0AE4.jpeg
4181D830-85CA-4616-8E56-C237763B7E33.jpeg
856179AE-8C82-48EF-9CDF-6FEE8163EAB1.jpeg
854A58AC-336E-4505-BF47-67460E0FC05E.jpeg
054354D4-AA8E-44BE-9B26-C1638D250776.jpeg
5C7D9483-395A-48B1-A540-B4DCF351607C.jpeg

The advantage is you get to spend time with someone you love ( both of you) and as you get older if you are off colour that other person has a good chance of noticing and perhaps doing something, just recently my doctor advises me to put my asthma. Breather in the car - a spare one - just in case when I go out I forget, as such I carry his and mine, and I gave added aspirin, because they say if you are having a heart attack that aspirin can help until you get to a hospital
Soluble Asperin, take one a day helps prevent heart attacks, mine are part of the 9 meds I take everyday.

Good morning all! Been a rainy couple of days and looks like that may continue today.

Day number 2 at work was pretty uneventful. Only got one call for assistance and by the time I got to the classroom the instructor had already figured out the problem and fixed it. Spent much of the rest of the day just poking around my office and seeing what all is there. Started working on straightening it up enough to make a clear path from front to back. As Patrick can attest, an IT office gets pretty full of old pc's, monitors and other hardware, cables, cables and more cables. Found that I've got a lot of nice tools to work with whenever the time comes that I need them.

Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

HOW CLOSE IS CLOSE?
Yesterday, my wife and I went to Gainesville TX to go back to the nursery/seed/feed store for garden plants. All along FM51, we noted debris, sheet metal roofing and siding, toppled traffic signs, downed trees and damaged structures. Upon returning home, I read the following tornado summary:
Survey team also confirmed a long tracked EF-1 tornado with maximum winds of 105 mph in Cooke County.

It started south of Era and tracked through the west side Gainesville almost 20 miles, the NWS in Fort Worth said.

This started two miles west of my house, as the crow flies. That explains the rumbling noise that I referred to in post #1131 Monday evening.
Original article link - Texas tornadoes
Fortunately it is mostly open acreage and damage to homes was minimal with just missing shingles on some of them. Most of the damage was to somewhat decrepit barns and outbuildings. FM51 is a Texas highway (Farm to Market road) that is visible as a faint white line running SW to NE in my post #1127 the same evening. Closer than I had projected.

Here is an awesome Twitter post that I came upon as well.
Pickup vs tornado

Morning all,

Trying to correct a backup issue with one server has it shut down for a while. Not sure why the virtual is having issues, but it always seems to be THIS server. At least the server hasn't failed.

Willie: I saw that video of the truck earlier this morning. Wild!

Ken (OTBC): Put 2 power cords in a box and they're like rabbits, the box fills quickly!

Iron Horseman: I was an AIX administrator years ago. Wrote several c-shell scripts along the way, then the company decided to go with Novell, which I became a certified engineer through version 4 until Windows became popular. I think I originally got my position here due to at least know what Novell was even after 18 years since I last used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back