Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall a medical article months ago about licorice. It can have an effect on your heart. I've notice this after consuming a whole bag of the Wallaby licorice. Heart rate was radical with double beats and pauses. Made me feel awful for the day.
I believe or not was a good boy. A serving is 3 pieces and each piece I think maybe was 1/2” long. Ate just 1 piece a day till the bag was gone. I could have eaten the whole bag in one sitting.

I also read about racing heart issue when you consume too much at one time. I purchased the black licorice because I haven’t had any decent tasting licorice in years. 23 carbs according to my food journal which is basically 1/2 a full meal of my carb count. So did the one piece which I could enjoy. However the added sugar content for this diabetic wasn’t acceptable. I did really enjoy the taste

TomO

Good morning all! 44 degrees with a slight chance of rain heading for 65 and sunny. Should be another nice day!

Yesterday was another aggravating day at work with not enough help as usual. Sometimes I truly wonder how the current job manages to stay in business with the poor corporate decision making. Thankfully I have tomorrow and Thursday off and then return Friday for my final day there.

Willie: Was that a Santa Fe CF7 in your last group of pictures? I have an Indiana Rail Road CF7 and the real life version had come from SF. They don't have them anymore, so I'm glad I got a model one anyway.

Nothing much else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Willie: Was that a Santa Fe CF7 in your last group of pictures? I have an Indiana Rail Road CF7 and the real life version had come from SF. They don't have them anymore, so I'm glad I got a model one anyway.
Yes it is a CF7. All CF7's came from Santa Fe. They rebuilt 233-F7's in their Cleburne TX shops between 1970 and 1978, hence the model CF7. Some were actually rebuilt from F9's, but not many. By 1987, all had been sold to other railroads. There are still some in existence today but I don't know how many.

Morning all,

Sitting watching The Adam Project on Netflix. Meat is in the smoker. Wife has gone to work. Decided on cherry wood, especially on the pork. Nice thing about electric is the temp stays even.

I did check in and so far the network was fine overnight. Should stay stable until we come across another firmware glitch. For those not computer savvy, firmware is the software built into device, much like the bios is on your computer.

Bbl

Well, howdy there internet MRR People, and those whose firmware got saggy over the last few decades. ;)

It's Troy again.

Just approved the audiobook files for my SoCal Pixie mysteries book #3. (Willie, Sherrel, and Smudge are in Book #5 being written now).

If anyone wants to listen to the series, I do have free audible credit codes to distribute. All I ask is that when you finish, you go to audible and leave a review (you actually have to rate it AND type some appropriate words about the story, the narration).

If you want a code, message me. You MUST have an Audible account for this to work. The first two books in the series are exclusive to Audible so it is needed.

In other news, haven't done the weigh-in yet today, but I was at 226 yesterday. Surprisingly, I wasn't hungry much yesterday. Had some bacon and coffee in the morning. A salad with Primal brand balsamic for lunch. Snacked on roasted mixed nuts. Cheeseburgers with no bun, and green beans for dinner.

tonight sounds like a steak night. Better get one out of the fridge.

Got two walks in and blew away my 12.000 step goal.

The only weird thing is taking the MCT oil. I'm noticing a LOT of dreaming. Normally, I don't remember dreams. Now, I'm having the type where I'm interacting and waking up remembering them. My thought is it's the MCT oil fuelling the brain more than Red Vines and all their sugar.

Back to writing!

Good Morning All. Beware the Ides of March! Clear and 47° here. We continue our great spring weather here, highs in the upper 60's-mid 70's and lows in the upper 40's. Sure looks like a full moon out there, but it's not actually until Friday. Thunderstorm last night was almost non-existent, barely got the car wet. Some hail about 30 miles east of us.

This morning brings to me a follow-up visit with my doctor for the nagging pneumonia that I have had since late-January. I actually started feeling a bit better in the last 4-5 days, but I still have not regained full stamina. I have been walking about a quarter mile a day now, hoping to get up to a half mile by this weekend. Back to my regular full mile by months end. Breathing is much improved, shortness of breath is now minimal. I only used the prescription inhaler once yesterday. I did read on the Internet that recovery is normally between 6 weeks and 6 months. I am hoping for the 6 weeks.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday; Tom O, Guy, Chad, Patrick, Karl, Hughie, Moermusic, George, Louis, Gary, Smudge, Tom, Sherrel, Lee, OB Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I only added some ground foam to another small blank area. Slowly making progress.
I took a few pictures of a rail car from Europe yesterday. My BIL gave me this for Christmas after he saw in in a hobby shop in Ohio. The clerk assured him that it would work on HO track, but that was all. It cannot be fit with any couplers that I have, but I like the car anyway. It is a product of Brawa and represents a German railcar from around 1905.
IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

From what I have read, that's a brakeman shanty on the top of the car.

Todd - I also grill in the wintertime quite regularly. I don't use the smoker as much though. Rain is the only thing that stops me as my porch is not covered. I can and have used an umbrella, but I cannot put the cover back on the grill until it cools off and I'm usually in bed by then!
Tom O - I'll have to see what I can do about another overall shot of the layout. Regarding how much room that I have left, there is approximately 1/3 of the layout with no structures or scenery; just main line and passing sidings running through it. I am intentionally not developing it yet because I really want to finish the scenery gaps elsewhere. About 25% of the unfinished area is going to be a staging/classification yard and all of the track is laid. Another 20% is going to be dedicated to an Ethanol processor and most of that track is laid. I switch it out already with no structures or scenery present. Most structures have been purchased and I have posted several builds recently. I do still need to obtain some more. I still have gaps in the other 2/3 of the layout. I have some kits that I will never use; my son gave me a wooden coaling tower for Christmas a few years ago.
Steve J - My daughter and family installed Smart Bulbs a couple of years ago, but the novelty of changing colors wore off pretty quickly. Grandsons still occasionally do it to impress friends and relatives.
Guy - I intend to be rather selective about the Miniprint figures. I just don't need any "novelty" figures, mummies, Fred the Sock etc.. I like the armadillos and coyotes though.
Greg - Sorry to read of your issues with ScaleTrains. I have only purchased "Rivet Counters" or "Operators" and I am very satisfied with them. I have 13 and the only issue was a broken horn on one of them, which was replaced immediately.
Gary - Impressive boat. Keep the pictures coming.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Sad news out of our part of Indiana:

HAGERSTOWN, Ind. (AP) — An eastern Indiana man has died Monday after being struck by a train.

Wayne County Sheriff Randy Retter says 61-year-old Daryl King of Centerville was filling a tractor-trailer with grain in Hagerstown when he was struck by the train Monday morning. He says first responders tried to save King but he died from his injuries.

Retter says investigators believe King didn’t hear the approaching train, possibly because noise from the tractor and other equipment on the property was too loud.

I've been to several such accidents in my time as a news photographer. We all know this, but remind your friends: In case of tie - the train always wins. Don't race to get across, and don't walk or stand on RR right aways if there is any noise that would interfere with your hearing RR equipment.

Well "doggies"!
Another NOT SO NICE sleep - call kit "fit sleep" where I toss and turn all night between trips to the W/C.
We are looking for an 80F high with a clear, sunny sky today. The eye doctor yesterday said that I really was not bad enough for cataract removal and asked me to come back in about a year for a recheck.

The Spousal Unit lost a 63 YO cousin yesterday to alcohol - literally did himself in and was very private about it. Single guy - raised two children after his wife left him about the time I came into the family 30 years back. The way I hear is that he never got over her leaving? Anyway, nice guy, lived only 1/2 mile from us, but we hardly ever saw him? I can only remember him being at a handful of family gatherings over the 30 years.

WILLIE - I always liked the CF-7's ... Never could figure out why the FRISCO did not do something like that with the GP-7's and all the F-3's and 7's that they had.

The Spousal Unit is back with her Mom for the remainder of the week. Gives me an excuse to go visit and take the pups out for a romp!

I managed to gas up the truck for $4.40 yesterday - wish I had a 100 gal tank in the bed. Stator Brothers grocery had corned beef packages for $1.99 a pound - so I grabbed 6 of them while there.

OK .. back to my corner!

Good Morning from 23F springtime weather.
Today will be dedicated to building an 8' layout table and trying to join the train room wrap-around of existing tables. That will give me 16-1/2' of layout table to model on before I need to figure out how to build a river crossing. I'll take a photo this afternoon, when I get it all joined.

Tomorrow, the wife wants to go ice-fishing. So, I'll need to get the gear out today, as we leave before sunrise when we ice-fish.

IB Ken - Thankyou for the comment on my photo of SD40 5386. I actually have a number of photos of that engine. Then I went down and took more after I discovered that engine was involved in a side-swipe rail accident. That's why it had some parts changed out. - All tolled, I've probably got 20 photos of 5386.
Here's a photo of another flat-nosed SD40 that visited the town for one day only:
CN 6007_SD40-2Q_09-21-2020.JPG

I believe 6007 is called a 2Q because it was rebuilt. I don't know if CN still has her in the fleet.

Willie - That Heinekin is one weird beer wagon, but, I like it. -
I noticed Miniprint had very nice animal figures, as well, and I intend to secure one of the bull-moose for my layout. Can't rationalize 10-12 bucks for a single human figure, though. I think I'll get one of the cheap Chinese multi-lots, and see if they can be made acceptable.

Troy - In an attempt to get news that is non-mainstream censored and more honest, I frequent a certain underground website that tells more of the truth about what's going on in the world. They frequently show security camera footage of people getting hit by trains. - It never seems to be the trains fault.

Thanks for the likes on these simple posts. I'm going to get to it, starting with walking the dog.
Have a good one!

Good morning from Wisconsin where the weather guessers are hoping for 56f degrees. With sun hiding behind the clouds I doubt that will be happening.

I have started the last 2 weathering projects and hope to be done around dinner time. The need then is to concentrate on the layout.

We leave the 25th for who knows how long. Normally the trip down to Texas can take up to 10 days. Depends on the planned stops and visits, if we like a city or town, we will explore it. Same on the way back to Wisconsin. Heck before Covid on a return trip we went east to Florida along the Gulf, to Orlando. We wandered far enough north that we stopped at the Baseball Hall of Fame in upstate New York. That still though is only the second best return trip. Due to the gas prices, we are looking at a normal trip with just 1 overnight, usually in Wichita.

While in Texas, there are 3 overnight trips on the want list. Waco, because Terry must see the Magnolia empire of the Gaines, San Antonio because 3 former teaching couples Terry worked with have moved there (just a great friendly place) and Corpus Christi for me to meet up with a former work friend who moved there in 2021. Not sure about a return date. We are taking Terry’s car.

miniprints.com as I wrote yesterday are wonderfully done, are fragile and not for the faint of heart for pricing. But 2 for $7.50 in HO is not unreasonable if you are just buying a few for that signature scene. If your need is 100’s then it’s not really practical.

Willie, thanks for responding. What parts of the Ethanol plant are you missing? When I had my plant, I always felt that it needed many more tanks and piping then the Walthers kits supplied. I could keep a tank builder busy for a week or 2 if there were good models available that are not on the crazy priced Shapeways

Enjoy theday
TomO

The only weird thing is taking the MCT oil. I'm noticing a LOT of dreaming. Normally, I don't remember dreams. Now, I'm having the type where I'm interacting and waking up remembering them. My thought is it's the MCT oil fuelling the brain more than Red Vines and all their sugar.

Do you also take melatonin? I noticed much more intense dreaming with regular (larger) melatonin use (which I stopped). Large meaning like 3mg, which is small compared to some of the doses available now.

When this happened to me I actually did an internet search and found a WebMD type article that described more intense dreaming as a side effect of higehr levels of melatonin supplementation.

Now I rarely use 0t -- only when I am trying to get back on a regular schedule or I travel overseas and am working on jet lag.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I only added some ground foam to another small blank area. Slowly making progress.
I took a few pictures of a rail car from Europe yesterday. My BIL gave me this for Christmas after he saw in in a hobby shop in Ohio. The clerk assured him that it would work on HO track, but that was all. It cannot be fit with any couplers that I have, but I like the car anyway. It is a product of Brawa and represents a German railcar from around 1905.

Willie: So, I am not an expert on German or in this case, likely Austrian railcars. It does look like what is called Era II (1925 -- 1945) from my limited knowledge and a few spot checks just now. It is possible such cars (with the guard sttaion on the end and above) were also prior to this time in Era I. I have a bunch of N-scale beer cars and some cars that have that guard shack on the end and have always thought of them as early 1900 pre-WW2.

What I find interesting is the "ÖBB" marking. The ÖBB is the Austrian Federal Railway, and under that name and acronym didn't become a company until 1947. Prior to WW2 it was the Bundesbahn Österreich or BBÖ. During WW2 it was incorporated into the German Imperiral Railway (Deutsche Reichsbahn or DRG) and was split out after the war as Österreichische Bundesbahnen or ÖBB.

Since this wagon is marked ÖBB I am guessing it is a "Heritage" wagon with the modern company markings etc on it. The other white markings on the side (the small text) all looks modern as well.

The coupler pocket looks like what is called an NEM pocket, which is a European standard and you may be able to find something Willie compatible that is NEM compatible as well with an internet search.

I tried Melantonin but it caused a fitful night of waking every few minutes in a start. I get the same effect from Nyquill.

I've had similar experiences with long term taking it (as part of a weight loss supplement I tried a year or so ago). The dreaming issues I had were with a previous try at using the 3mg tablets on a longer term basis.

I wouldn't regularly take it but when my schedule gets out of whack I do take it a few days while holding to the schedule I want and that seems to help. For me, the key has been low doses. I have a 3mg tablet that I cut into thirds or quarters and that seems to help when taken for just a few days to get back on a sleep schedule that has gotten messed up.

These 5mg and 6mg tablets you find at the stores are just crazy if you ask me.

Was pretty tired, but soldered up a length of Flex for the 18R curve; bent it using ribbon rail gauges (love those things!); and tried a different method for marking the center line of the foam roadbed. I 'sperimented this technique previously.

This time, instead of trying to draw a 18R centerline with a trammel/straightedge, I laid out the curved flex, pinned it a few places, and took a sharpie and put a dot midpoint between every third or fourth tie. Then used the ribbon rail gauge to draw the curve connecting the dots. That gave me the centerline for the split foam roadbed and I glued that down and pinned it. Checked it this morning and came out Very Nicely!! Happy Happy!

I think I will get the reverse loop complete and operational before golf season starts! One of my foursome is resurrecting his circa 60s era railroad (actual date of the equipment - not the era he is modelling!) and I will be glad that I can show him pictures of much progress over the winter. We're men, what can I say, of COURSE there is a competition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back