Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Tesla level 2 wall charger. I've called over a dozen electrians to get a bid on installing it in my garage.
The wall charger will be mounted about 5 cable feet from the breaker panel. All they would really have to do is provide a 60 amp breaker, about $50 tops, and install it. Attach a 5' long #4 AWG copper cable to it and feed it to the charger. No drywall work to do. Make the connection with the wall charger and that's it. Might take someone 10 minutes to do this. Pretty simple. I've got bids from $1300 to $3600.
I think I'll do it myself.
D&J - pretty simple wire setup. Check with your home insurance company first. They might not allow you to mess with anything on YOUR side of the meter or require conduit. Just be careful. Remember to lick your fingers first o_O!

OK Gang...

the new book features a Chili-Cheese-Dog cook-off at a Beach BBQ contest. The namesakes for Willie, Sherril, and Smudge all have pits going. Contestants: Post your grilling secrets? What type of meat goes in the chili? TriTip? Pulled Pork? Boring Ground Beef? Any secret spices?

Bystanders: You're the judges... who should win the cookoff? (my judges might choose someone else)
Yes, boring ground beef. But it is a choice chuck roast home ground. However I don't grill chili!. Spices include chili powder and cumin making up the base along with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cilanthro, oregano, salt, and pepper, along with a secret ingredient that wouldn't be a secret if I told anyone. Genuine Texas Chili with no solids except the meat. Hot dogs are Nathan's all beef; cheese is extra sharp Cheddar.
BTW Chili ain't BBQ!

Good shot from the hip without knowing the details.
A Tesla Model Y can be fitted with a tow bar rated at 3500lbs. The S model can pull 5000lbs. The Cyber truck can out pull a Ford F-150 and will have a range of over 500 miles. The Ford Electric truck has trailer capability, but I don't know right off hand what it is.

The F150 tug of war was a lopsided 2WD 4 cylinder 1/2 ton chassis with a 1500 pound deficit, no contest!

I'll put it up against a 4X4 3500HD Silverado Diesel. I bet the outcome will be different

Morning all,

It's military command day today (March Forth\March 4th).

Not much going on in Doo-Dah. I did manage to get gas this morning as our local Kroger affiliate hasn't yet raised to yesterday's 30 cent price increase. That was almost $5 less than it will be on the next fill (when they've raised even higher). Good news is I got almost 25 mpg on my Colorado, but I'm also running it a lot closer to 60 mph than 65 mph. I will say it looks like I'm taking another staycation this year. I'd really like for the stars to align just once. Last 2 years has been covid shutting stuff down, now fuel prices. We used to see the parents up north and make a nice trip of it, but since dad passed, mom is just a bit over 2 hours away. When covid doesn't lock the place down, I try to see her about once a month.

I use ShopGoodwill dot com to get some of my used train stuff. Goodwill's version of eBay. I will say that stuff is getting stupidly expensive on that site as of late. Lot of 6 BB car kits went for $85 and then they wanted $30 shipping to my home from where the stuff was. Based on what I paid at the train show ($5 for the most expensive kit I bought, others as high as $12), the total cost is getting out of line.

The F150 tug of war was a lopsided 2WD 4 cylinder 1/2 ton chassis with a 1500 pound deficit, no contest!

I'll put it up against a 4X4 3500HD Silverado Diesel. I bet the outcome will be different

Tires and the rear axle have some bearing on that pull as well. I watched a mid-70's 3/4 ton Crew cab Chevy do that same thing to a newer 4X4 Dodge Diesel. Crew cab didn't have posi traction, but had street tires. The Dodge had "off road" type tires and just couldn't grip on asphalt. Kind of fun to see all 4 wheels spinning on the Dodge while it was getting pulled backwards.

Good Morning!
A really crappy weather pattern has swallowed us up this past while. Snow, and then more snow, because the god's weren't happy with the first snow. Plus, it's fairly cool at 8F.
I took a couple of photos on yesterdays dog walk:
MooseCow_03-02-2022.jpg

Don't be looking for the moose in this 2nd photo. There isn't one; it's just the trail we take:
CentPk_03-03-2022 (2).JPG

With regards to the electric vehicle talk, both CP and CN are trying to develop zero-emission electric locomotives. CP using the hydrogen fuel cell, and CN turning to battery electric. My personal opinion is that the hydrogen fuel cell will be a better technology due to quicker recharge capability.
Here's a CP prototype locomotive, known as the H2 OEL. It's a retrofitted existing locomotive with the fuel cell technology:
2022-01-24.png

I believe there are currently 3 of these locomotives being tested.
Just in case, I have a small stake in hydrogen fuel cell stock. Ya never know!

This summer, I'm going to make it a mission to actively photograph as many diesel locomotives as I can. Diesel is definitely on it's way out.

I'm still working on the layout room reno. It's my own fault that it's taking so long. I'm not enjoying it, so I seem to be taking longer than it's worth. I just can't get into it, and get it done. - I'll work at it a bit more today.

Thanks for the coffee. Have a good one!

Yes, boring ground beef. But it is a choice chuck roast home ground. However I don't grill chili!. Spices include chili powder and cumin making up the base along with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cilanthro, oregano, salt, and pepper, along with a secret ingredient that wouldn't be a secret if I told anyone. Genuine Texas Chili with no solids except the meat. Hot dogs are Nathan's all beef; cheese is extra sharp Cheddar.
BTW Chili ain't BBQ!

remember the half teaspoon of cinnamon!!

BTW Chili ain't BBQ!
But a character in the series loves Chili-cheese-dogs. I mean, REEEEEEEAAAAAALY loves them.

So, it's a local "competition" added to a stop on the BBQ competition circuit. Make the local dish for local notoriety (and some prize money).

The real grilling begins the next day.... but, of course, being a cozy mystery, there's a murder...

Good Morning All. Clear and 50° on this fine Friday. Won't be quite as warm today as yesterday, 77°, but it will still be in the lower 70's with some cloud cover. Wind which has been absent for three days will increase from the south to around 15 mph. That will bring lots of Gulf moisture up and bring the chance of rain on Sunday. Humidity was only 11% yesterday afternoon.

Grocery trek yesterday was only average until checkout time. There were no checkers! Had to use the self-checkout which I hate. At least there was one with a conveyor available. Only masks yesterday were employees, same at Home Depot and everywhere else that I went. Gas prices were now at $3.29 everywhere. As others have pointed out, it's the same here; oil price goes up, gas rises immediately. Oil goes down, it takes three weeks for gas to go down.

All of the postings regarding EV's, yet no one has posted how much a full charge actually costs? Teslas don't seem to be real popular here except in a few wealthy enclaves in progressive cities like Austin. Of course, Texas is the only state where there are no Tesla dealerships. You must buy them online only. State law!
So, where does all of the power for the charging stations come from? That pledge to go all EV by 2035 will backfire. Why? Road maintenance is mostly paid for by gasoline taxes.

Poached eggs and OJ only Flo. No bacon, it's the Lent thing.

Thanks to the many visitors who commented on or liked my structure progress yesterday; Karl, Gary, Patrick, Dave B, Guy, Steve J, Hughie, James, Tom O, Louis, Jaz, Justin, IB Ken.

Unfortunately no visit to the train shed yesterday. After the trip to town and back, we had back to back visitors A nearby couple from the town where my kids went to school and were driving by when I waved them down. Then my 81year old neighbor stopped by. Hadm't talked to him in almost a month so we had some catching up to do.
So after remembering Karl's cats from the other day, I thought about mine. Here are some of mine.
IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

Ken D&J - I already did my part by voting for some one else. Installing your own charger/wiring seems like the best option, it's quick, easy and inexpensive if you just know a few things about it. Your posts indicate that you already posses the knowledge and have researched the costs. Go for it before the cost of the copper gets too unreasonable, as if it hasn't already. If you're still willing to spend the $3600, let me know and I'll drive up from Texas and do it for you!
Patrick - The upgraded membership from Sam's saved me over $400 on hearing aids and quite a bit on eyeglasses for us as well. Well worth the extra $$$. I haven't tried them for prescriptions yet as our mail-order pharmacy serves us quite well.
Greg - On my first ScaleTrains order they sent a nice ball point pen which I still use. Since then, they switched to the three pieces of candy which I don't eat.
Tom O - Is there a problem with the shelf queens from ScaleTrains? I have been real happy with the nine engines that I have purchased from them.
Louis -
If you are curious about your phone open the settings and scroll down and tap about phone. For an Android that is.
Yep! There it is. Says Samsung Galaxy S9. Why couldn't they print that on the label???
It doesn't matter to me really. I might use the damn thing 15 minutes a week in a heavy week. I don't take pictures, that's why I have a camera. I don't text, I just talk to people and my fingers are too fat for that tiny keypad. I don't use it to watch movies or TV; the screen is too small. I don't use it to play games, screen and keypad are too small...see above. I can't use it to read the forum, font is either too small or I have to scroll too much and the pictures are too difficult to see. I do math in my head and I have a computer for saving receipes. It's a PHONE dammit, a phone
Hughie - AC Brown continues to look superb.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Well I see I made it to another Friday. Temps are going to be up this weekend for a change. Not sure what I'll be getting into if anything. Might be a good time to start building. Who knows? Probably not but at least it sounded good. In other train related news. Given it'll take a month or two for my DB150 to come back I reinstalled one of my walk around DC throttles to the layout. I was using my Tech 4 260 again. I set up an Alpine Innovator 3500. Not sure if any of you guys have even heard of it. I stumbled onto it quite a while back. By far one of the better DC walk around throttles I have. It hasn't disappointed me so far. My locomotives slow but don't stall over uneven track. So I guess it's a plus. Well I guess that sums everything up for me at the moment. I'll stop by later if when I get a chance. This is what the throttle looks like.IMG_20220227_174207486.jpg

The Ford Electric truck has trailer capability, but I don't know right off hand what it is.
As I pointed out with my hybrid - there is the advertisement and there is reality. I am sure the Ford's Lightingbolt will be able to have great trailer pulling capability, but just like my hybrid I am guessing that battery is going to drain soooo fast. If it has any load at all, I am skeptical about even the originally advertised range of 350 miles. If I believed they could deliver that I would have already ordered one. I'm guessing another 5 years and a major break through in either battery technology or motor efficiency will be required.

Last edited:
Tires and the rear axle have some bearing on that pull as well. I watched a mid-70's 3/4 ton Crew cab Chevy do that same thing to a newer 4X4 Dodge Diesel. Crew cab didn't have posi traction, but had street tires. The Dodge had "off road" type tires and just couldn't grip on asphalt. Kind of fun to see all 4 wheels spinning on the Dodge while it was getting pulled backwards.
Yes it is amazing how these advertising things can be true, but hide how the cards are stacked in favor of the outcome they are trying to demonstrate. I call it lying with facts.

As for any head to head tug of war there are so many variables.

Plus there is a reason the railroad locomotives have had electric drives all these years. A direct drive diesel would have never beaten the steamers.

Last edited:
As the market goes more and more non Infernal Combustion, fed and state road taxes will suffer only a little, then will change... (heck, here in IND, most gas tax goes to other stuff instead of roads)...and the road taxes will switch to miles driven, not gas consumption.

IMHO: That's actually a fairer tax. Those who use most will pay most. The little old lady who drives out for lunch with the girls once a week, then to church will hardly pay. The guys driving to work each day, and then to the golf course an hour away each weekend will pay more.

Good Morning All. Clear and 50° on this fine Friday. Won't be quite as warm today as yesterday, 77°, but it will still be in the lower 70's with some cloud cover. Wind which has been absent for three days will increase from the south to around 15 mph. That will bring lots of Gulf moisture up and bring the chance of rain on Sunday. Humidity was only 11% yesterday afternoon.

Grocery trek yesterday was only average until checkout time. There were no checkers! Had to use the self-checkout which I hate. At least there was one with a conveyor available. Only masks yesterday were employees, same at Home Depot and everywhere else that I went. Gas prices were now at $3.29 everywhere. As others have pointed out, it's the same here; oil price goes up, gas rises immediately. Oil goes down, it takes three weeks for gas to go down.

All of the postings regarding EV's, yet no one has posted how much a full charge actually costs? Teslas don't seem to be real popular here except in a few wealthy enclaves in progressive cities like Austin. Of course, Texas is the only state where there are no Tesla dealerships. You must buy them online only. State law!
So, where does all of the power for the charging stations come from? That pledge to go all EV by 2035 will backfire. Why? Road maintenance is mostly paid for by gasoline taxes.

Poached eggs and OJ only Flo. No bacon, it's the Lent thing.

Thanks to the many visitors who commented on or liked my structure progress yesterday; Karl, Gary, Patrick, Dave B, Guy, Steve J, Hughie, James, Tom O, Louis, Jaz, Justin, IB Ken.

Unfortunately no visit to the train shed yesterday. After the trip to town and back, we had back to back visitors A nearby couple from the town where my kids went to school and were driving by when I waved them down. Then my 81year old neighbor stopped by. Hadm't talked to him in almost a month so we had some catching up to do.
So after remembering Karl's cats from the other day, I thought about mine. Here are some of mine.
View attachment 142009
View attachment 142010
View attachment 142011
View attachment 142012View attachment 142013

Ken D&J - I already did my part by voting for some one else. Installing your own charger/wiring seems like the best option, it's quick, easy and inexpensive if you just know a few things about it. Your posts indicate that you already posses the knowledge and have researched the costs. Go for it before the cost of the copper gets too unreasonable, as if it hasn't already. If you're still willing to spend the $3600, let me know and I'll drive up from Texas and do it for you!
Patrick - The upgraded membership from Sam's saved me over $400 on hearing aids and quite a bit on eyeglasses for us as well. Well worth the extra $$$. I haven't tried them for prescriptions yet as our mail-order pharmacy serves us quite well.
Greg - On my first ScaleTrains order they sent a nice ball point pen which I still use. Since then, they switched to the three pieces of candy which I don't eat.
Tom O - Is there a problem with the shelf queens from ScaleTrains? I have been real happy with the nine engines that I have purchased from them.
Louis -

Yep! There it is. Says Samsung Galaxy S9. Why couldn't they print that on the label???
It doesn't matter to me really. I might use the damn thing 15 minutes a week in a heavy week. I don't take pictures, that's why I have a camera. I don't text, I just talk to people and my fingers are too fat for that tiny keypad. I don't use it to watch movies or TV; the screen is too small. I don't use it to play games, screen and keypad are too small...see above. I can't use it to read the forum, font is either too small or I have to scroll too much and the pictures are too difficult to see. I do math in my head and I have a computer for saving receipes. It's a PHONE dammit, a phone
Hughie - AC Brown continues to look superb.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Shelf queens from Scaletrains: no problem with either of the 2 museum pieces I purchased when ST first came on board. They ran superb as did the rivet counter I purchased. The museum pieces IMO were too over the top in delicate details but compared to the rivet counter I had also purchased there was a considerable amount of additional detail but well worth it. The Museum pieces however scared me enough not to run them in fear something might break off. They were easily sold, the rivet counter took quite a bit longer but it also sold.

I had purchased the UP turbines and my smallest curve is 33” and while they ran well they still didn’t look right in that tight curve. I have 1 52” turn and the Turbines were in their element there as were the Athearn turbines and Akane Cab Forwards. I prefer to run my locos and since I had a bit of fear in parts breaking instead of going to a shelf I sold them.

Besides the museum piece issue, I did not purchase the SDL39 because they are 6 axle and my layout at this time will only be running 4 axles. If I had less modern day equipment and if I had purchased the SDL39 I would have switched back into the 1980-90’s and modeled the WC again. I am however really enjoying being a free lancer now.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back