Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today was a quiet day, repaired as best I could my Burlington loco after yesterday's disaster, after going happily round for 4 hours, while I was busy doing another couple of conversions and upgrades, it suddenly stopped and fell off the layout for no reason, landed nose down, so smashed the front corner, repaired as best I could, but the steps have had it, replaced the couplings too. :mad:

The Atlas UP SD 60 I have, turns out to be a bag of nails, literally, motors fine but the trucks make so much noise, derails at every curve and turnout, so I need to take them apart, but I don't have the sheet, neither does hoseeker, and I can't work out how to get the bottom axle plate off without breaking it, but they look to be the similar to their SD 24 trucks, so it looks like that's a teardown from the top, and I really can't be bothered, so that's staying DC and in the "to do" box for the foreseeable future. (if someone knows how those bottom plates are removed, please let me know how)

Swapped out one of my Hornby point motors, nothing wrong with it, just couldn't secure it to the board properly, so a Peco replacement. Tomorrow I need to swap out the point motor in the top left hand curve, nothing wrong with that one either, simply because it's profile is too high, the SD 60's and 70's catch it with their snow ploughs (pilot's?) as they pass, going to be a total bar steward to swap that one, being in that location, I was hoping I could leave that till I do the revamp, but I think the turnout will have to stay there now, so might as well get it done.

You guys have a great day, and behave while I'm gone.🤣

G'nite.

Last edited:
Willie,
In response to your 1:87 dog, I present scale cats.
There are 4 of them, 2 in each pic.

3F75934F-5C90-4309-B1AE-289B24B57BB7.jpeg
FF635F1B-EF8A-46CD-B5CF-5D3F3460582D.jpeg

Last edited:
End of a long day. Workin on the Goldwing, doin a lot of preventive maintenance. Checked all the valve tappets today. Some where still within tollerance but I adjusted them all to exact spec. Got the valve covers all back in place then was reading the shop manual for the next step and realized I didn't put the RV silicon on part of the valve cover gasket. Doesn't need it on all the gasket, just part. I'll pull that apart tomorrow and redo it. Installed a belly pan on the bike that keeps road debris from striking the engine belly.
I thought my SD45-2 would arrive today. Went back in the emails and discovered I had misread the delivery date. Monday, 28 Feb.
New and final episode of 1883 tomorrow. Will find out if Elsa survives and why the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch is in Montana.

A good day.

Lovely leisurely Friday evening's dinner at Redstone Grill with my sweetie. A little stress-relief activities. A nice lie-in this morning. Ran an errand and then to LHS - - never a bad thing. And then all afternoon working on the layout. I am on a mission and anxious to get trains running. So, in that view . . . I submit:

unnamed.jpg

The wine bottles are deployed!!

I glued down the upper (northern) 22R loop which meets the curved TO. I had a bit of heart failure as I had measured and trial-fitted, and re-positioned almost ad nauseum. Then I glued down the TO. Today, I again test-fitted and it was WAY OFF ! ! ! ! WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, methinks. But cutting to size, a little oomph, and turned out pretty good.

Then was able to turn my attention south. Glued down the rest of the roadbed for the 18R inner loop, and then soldered up leads to the wires coming off the Peco unifrog double-slip. I appreciate that they now include leads, but I think it is almost necessary that one solder up wires to those, even if only to colour code. Then glued down the double-slip. Now i will lie awake most of the night fretting if the 18R curve will meet okay. Egads, the life of a space-constricted Model railroader.

Nect - - - - build up the electromagnetis uncouplers and be sure to solder extensions BEFORE mounting (soldering under the table is not fun!) and drill/saw the placements for those and glue down the straight.

I hope to be running trains around the loop by Tuesday! ! !

Now that I have all my train stuff in one place I see I've bought too much. It's not the money spent that concerns me. I don't like having so many things in boxes!
I should say my trains are mostly in one place.
Funny you would mention that. For the first time all my trains are at the same address (other than the few I've shown on the RPO in the last two months). I knew I had bought too much long before then but, now really comes home as it is just piles and piles of boxes. Had already filled one locker room with the G-Gauge and modular units, stage left is floor to ceiling with other boxes, and of course the expensive ones in the safe. Now I have a row of them piled along the stage (circled in yellow), and there are still others mixed in with all the other boxes that got moved in. Yipes.
gym stuff.jpg

Here is my Euro N-scale stuff (most of it). I started packing it away last night. Not shown are my KATO units that are in their normal bookcase style cases or their half size foam cases in a box. I have the ICE 4, a ET425 EMU, and also a bunch of Swiss Rhätische Bahn narrow gauge that is kept with my Japanese trains due to the form factor of their storage cases.n

The first pic is the storage bin with most of the locomotives and modern freight cars. The next pic shows some used locomotives I have without cases. I'll wrap in foam sheets and place in the bin. The next pic shows my older, for the most part, Euro freight. A lot I got used. Some is new. Also going into the bin. The last pic shows my Euro passenger stuff. From 50s to modern IC express and in between.

IMG_5422.jpegIMG_5420.jpegIMG_5421.jpegIMG_5423.jpeg

The son just sent a picture of the truck his uncle is giving him.
Wow, a beautiful truck but so sad that many are living in places like this. I know we have had a 25% increase in our population in Halifax over the last 5 years and housing and infrastructure have struggled to keep up. Both sons are working and neither has been able to find an apartment except the ones with their buddies.

Here is my Euro N-scale stuff (most of it). I started packing it away last night. Not shown are my KATO units that are in their normal bookcase style cases or their half size foam cases in a box. I have the ICE 4, a ET425 EMU, and also a bunch of Swiss Rhätische Bahn narrow gauge that is kept with my Japanese trains due to the form factor of their storage cases.n

The first pic is the storage bin with most of the locomotives and modern freight cars. The next pic shows some used locomotives I have without cases. I'll wrap in foam sheets and place in the bin. The next pic shows my older, for the most part, Euro freight. A lot I got used. Some is new. Also going into the bin. The last pic shows my Euro passenger stuff. From 50s to modern IC express and in between.

View attachment 141640View attachment 141639View attachment 141641View attachment 141642
Ok, you and Iron Horseman win hands down, I suppose the question now is, what haven't you two got ? 🤣

Good Morning All. Clear and 28°, finally headed back into the mid-50's later today. We'll see temperatures in the 70's beginning Tuesday for a while.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the grain elevator pictured Friday; Karl, Troy, Guy, Joe, Gary, Dave B, Smudge, Chad, Hughie, Sherrel, Curt, Louis, Rick, IB Ken, George, Tom, Justin.

Too many indoor activities yesterday to spend much time in the train shed. I ran a few trains that have been sitting on standby in the various staging yards. Always good to "stretch the legs" in a way. I re-vacuumed the entry area, after the recent rain/freeze/etc., where I had tracked in grass clippings, mud and very small twigs. There were probably some dead insects there as well.

In keeping with my recent "before & after" photos, I now give you before and after of the train shed. I didn't take a picture of bare yard, but here is the earliest shot that I have.
12-18-09 037.JPG

Now we're ready for the framing'
12-18-09 039.JPG

Fast forward a few days and here we are.
12-18-09 045.JPG

12-18-09 046.JPG

12-18-09 052.JPG

12-18-09 053.JPG
12-18-09 051.JPG

On the left is an 8' x 20' workshop/storeroom.
12-18-09 054.JPG

The layout room itself is 20' x 32' with trusses and no internal supports.
12-18-09 048.JPG
12-18-09 050.JPG

Starting from Friday:
Sherrel - That switcher is the cleanest piece of SLSF equipment that I have ever seen.
Karl - I'll have to locate that issue of RMC, as I want to put another grain elevator on the unfinished portion of the layout. I also have plans for an ethanol processor and I still need silos that don't look like the Walther's ones that I have elsewhere.
Steve J - Glad to read that the knee is doing better. You're making nice progress. I noticed from yesterday's picture that you haven't put that storage cabinet into use yet.;)
Dave B - I remember that water tower build and I was just as impressed with the rerun as the original. Those were all gone by the time my era came about.
Greg and others - I too was surprised regarding the last two days of stock market trading. I have always heard that the market hates uncertainty like we've had this year so far, well Putin eliminated the uncertainty didn't he?
Hughie - I don't envy you on the staircase. Just wait until you get to the windows. It will al be worth it in the end with a beautiful building.
Tom O - Whoa! hope that you recover soon from both the #11 event and the low glucose. Sorry, can't help with the steamer or even remember the fellow's name.
Guy - You do rapid work there. No wonder the rich widow is always wanting you for something.
Iron Horseman - I remember somewhere in the past that you posted that your train room was the size of a gymnasium, I didn't realize that it actually was one!

I noted when reviewing posts from yesterday, there was a typo in mine (post #1502). I typed 59° when it was really 39°.

It's Sunday isn't it? The downside of being retired is that I don't remember the day of the week any more. Oh well!
Everybody have a great day and stay safe.

Good Morning!
We are enjoying spring-like 22F temperatures up here in the north. This is a nice change that is oddly the time I've chosen to work on the basement layout room. I should be outside in the warm, instead of in a basement splattering on drywall tape and mud. But, I do want to get that work done so I can move forward.

Something bad has happened. The dog has learned how to climb on top of the boat and jump over the 6' fence to enjoy freedom in the alleyway. I can't have her running around town. I tried to pick up the boat to move it away, but, it's frozen solid to the ground and won't budge. So, now I need to make the fence higher temporarily.
I'm going to staple a 2' strip of chicken wire to the top of the fence, and see if that will stop her. In any event, this is going to cut into my layout building, at a time when I'm actually motivated to get something done.

Steve J - When I saw the recent layout building photo with all the bottles, my immediate reaction was, 'Now, there's a fella who needs an AA meeting.'

Karl - I enjoyed seeing the layout photos you posted yesterday.

Iron Horseman - I'm fairly certain my wife would have my gonads if I hoarded enough boxes of train stuff to fill a stage. My thoughts are that you only live once, so you need to make the best of it and get what you want.

TomO - I haven't said much, but, I've really enjoyed the rail car weathering sessions. Well done!

Thank you all, for the likes and comments on my layout room renovation work.

These are rest of the new 1:87 vehicles that arrived in the mail. All are metal except for the plastic Dodge D-100.
I must say, that I consider Brekina to be way over priced for plastic vehicles. The Dodge is a nice pick-up, but, I won't put out for too many more Brekina models.

1-87 Vehicles_02-26-2022 (2).jpg

1-87 Vehicles_02-26-2022 (1).jpg

It will be daylight soon, so I'd better correct that fence issue. Have a good one!

I sense a strong scandinavian background in your world. I am very familiar with ufda.
it can't be chilli without peppers. I.E. chile pepper,
You are absolutely correct. I do want the chile flavor, but usually use the ground version in the spice bottles. Bought my boy a birthday present yest, with the understanding he would cook it for all of us, so enjoyed grilled 12 oz sirloin strips last night. $78 for 5 of them.

what a mess my tabletop is! Anybody else experience this during construction?
You be the judge...
02_27_2022 Progress.jpg

Of course, just out of camera range, is a2'x4' panel on sawhorses, loaded with tools and construction material. Not sure at this point whether I have enough code 70 flex to finish off the modules. Stuff's kind of scarce right now, although I do have some code 83, I could use. No room for the large townhouses on these modules, just no place to put them at this time.

Chester Ladder Truck.jpg

Another glimpse into the past....Photo of a Hook & Ladder Company prior to 1914. The housing stock, street surface, and populace. Note the utility poles Believe this photo came out of the 100th Anniversary Banquet Booklet from the Felton Fire Co #3. The last volunteer companies were disbanded in 1982.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back