Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. Folks -- I managed to spend most of the day between my Primary Doctor, the pharmacy, and then a sonogram of the heart at a different facility 45 miles away.
I just hung up the phone talking to my Primary with Kaiser a few min ago.
He informed me that I have HEART FAILURE!
We have changed a bunch of meds (again) - and added a few new ones.
That is all the information I have at this time. He is trying to get set up appointments with various folks in those departments.
That is all the info I have to pass on at this time.

Good luck Sherrel. We're praying and pulling for you. I emailed you some other comments.

O.K. Folks -- I managed to spend most of the day between my Primary Doctor, the pharmacy, and then a sonogram of the heart at a different facility 45 miles away.
I just hung up the phone talking to my Primary with Kaiser a few min ago.
He informed me that I have HEART FAILURE!
We have changed a bunch of meds (again) - and added a few new ones.
That is all the information I have at this time. He is trying to get set up appointments with various folks in those departments.
That is all the info I have to pass on at this time.
Dang! I'm sorry to hear that. Well, they'll fix you. We'll get you on the prayer list!

The tornado did some damage in my local town. A couple homes have trees on them, but there was no major injuries.
Some pictures this morning from the newest candidate for state bird, flying trampolines. One imbedded in the side of a house.
The power company has restored power to about half of the 45,000 people without electricity. The temp was about 76 degrees F when the storm hit yesterday and the temp is in the mid 30s this morning. This will slow recovery efforts.

The tornado did some damage in my local town. A couple homes have trees on them, but there was no major injuries.
Some pictures this morning from the newest candidate for state bird, flying trampolines. One imbedded in the side of a house.
The power company has restored power to about half of the 45,000 people without electricity. The temp was about 76 degrees F when the storm hit yesterday and the temp is in the mid 30s this morning. This will slow recovery efforts.
Is this in Hawaii? maybe Alaska?

Good Morning All. Clear and 21°, at least the wind has died down now to 3 mph. This is what our up and down weather is going to do for the next ten days. Note the 83° high on Monday. Screenshot courtesy of Weather Underground.
1645183624456.png

Bitter day yesterday, at least for here, with temperature below 40° and north winds averaging above 25 mph all day long.

Grocery trek yesterday went about as well as it could be expected. The weather kept many others at home. No crowd, minimal mask wearing, random stock-outs, no line at the register and higher prices! Between Tuesday and yesterday, gas went up by 10¢/gal almost everywhere, more at some places. I am sure that this is just "transitory"!:mad: Add to that, I lost another 1% in my retirement fund, to bring my total losses for the year to 3.3%. I may be at the age where I can no longer ride it out, but I really don't want to lock in my losses just yet.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding my rapid build on the newest structure; Jaz, Dave B, Gary, Rick, Karl, Guy, OB Ken, Hughie, Joe, Tom O, James, Smudge, Curt, Tom, Louis, Mikey, IB Ken.

I spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday, but not much. The temperature out there was OK, at 62° but I couldn't get motivated to do anything but run a few trains. While following them around, I narrowed down my list of projects to do next. I am intent on finishing up scenery on the scenes that currently exist, before starting up on the remaining third of the benchwork that only has track on it. I estimate that I went from 25% completion last year to 40% now. There are numerous places where I just need a couple of hours to fill in some blanks, which I am going to do before hitting a big area again like I did in December. This last month while under the influence of pneumonia was a total dud. Though, the next month I will be competing with the garden.
Meanwhile here's one candidate for completion. It's a Walther's Central Gas with a pair of add-on tanks.
08-16-18 009.JPG

It's nestled in a corner on the upper level making access a bit tougher, but not impossible.
Here's another easier project.
IMG_7493.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

I just need to add some bushes/shrubs, vehicles and figures here, and finish off the grade crossing out front. Looks like the barbed wire fence out back needs adjustment.
IMG_7494.JPG

Justin - Sorry to read of your issues with DCC here and on your other thread. Reading of your experiences, along with Ken's, Curt's and others experiences, continues to reinforce my decision to stick with DC. That along with the fact that I am a solo operator who can't keep track of two trains at once, I don't care for the sounds, and the expense that I would have to incur. My brother has also had issues with his Digitrax system. While there was some extra wiring involved, I only have to deal with one throttle and one power supply. I can run two with the second power supply which only comes into play when I let my grandkids run on the lower level while I run on the upper level.
Dave B - That Apothecary was a really easy kit to assemble. Not everything that I do is a craftsman kit. I will be looking through my large collection of detail parts and add to it in the future when I actually plant it on the layout. I already see a need for trash cans, electric meter and of course customers.
We had a brief discussion last week regarding barbed wire fences, see above picture for an example of some of my scrarchbuilt fencing.
Guy - Can't help with the steamer question as that's out of my range of knowledge.
Troy - I also have issues with hearing too much occasionally. While there is a setting on the hearing aids for noisy situations, it also cancels out some things that I want to hear. It is also difficult to set unless I use the app on my phone which I mostly don't carry.
Sherrel - Not good news. I will certainly continue with the prayers. Best of luck with the new meds.
IB Ken - Hope that you weathered the storm OK last night. Our power company trims trees about every eight years. Here our problem is lightning strikes.
Mikey - Which figures are you using. I don't recognize all of the poses and some interest me.

Everybody have a great and productive day. Stay safe.

Good morning all! Wow, you guys been talking a lot on here since my last visit. I'll admit I didn't read every post since then, but made sure to give each a quick look. Thanks to all for the well wishes for my job interview today. It would make me very very happy to get this position. I've wanted to do IT related work forever and this would be such a wonderful opportunity. Further, I would be very very happy to get away from my current job which seems to be getting more aggravating with each passing day. Not like the mess that Terry has been dealing with, but definitely more frustrating than it needs to be. It would definitely be easier on my body than my current job, as well as easier on my wallet because I spend a stupid amount of money on gas every week due to the long commute.

Sherrel: Again, my best wishes to you that you are feeling much much better soon. I'm sorry you're having to go through all this.
Terry: Hang in there, the end of the job nightmare is in sight. Here's to a bright future.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning!
Just got in from shovelling snow again, in the 7F temperature. It's still snowing, too, so I'll need to go out again later.

Sherrel - You are high on my prayer list as well. I really hope you get well soon. Take comfort in knowing it could be worse; you could be up here in the north, freezing and shovelling snow.

Willie - I'm always impressed with your layout photos. Hats off to the great work you deliver.

Mikey - Wonderful paint job on the figures. You have a fine talent for small painting.

Hughie - The Row looks great with the lamp-posts. Well done! Keep those photos coming!

Dave - I'm very impressed with the old layout photo's. Indeed, they are a pleasure to view.

Just for the sake of throwing down a photo, here's an old-timer rail photo of the very spot that a few Canadian criminals set up a blockade recently. Of course, this photo is from a happier time:
Coutts_1908.jpg

I'll be working on my layout construction today. The wife's grow station project is completed, and I've asked her (very nicely) to leave me alone until the snow is gone and the garden work begins.

Have a good one!

Just got back from costco with a new set of bionic ears.

I have had Costco ears for about two years now and enjoy them immensely. The bluetooth thing is neat. I am now one of those people you so often nowadays see 'talking to myself' as my phone comes in through the HAs. And I do like the music feature. I hope you find them helpful. Definitely helps me hear others better. Not perfectly, but much better. Suggestion: Go to a loud-ish restaurant/bar and try out the various pre-sets on the app.

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll be sending my DB150 in to Digitrax for repair. I figure I'm invested in this endeavor. I may as well press on with it. I gotten enough decoders to equip most of my fleet. I went with economy decoders for my stuff. Almost a 50/50 split between the older DH163LO decoders and the newer DH165LO decoders. They seem to function well enough. In the meantime I'll bring back my tried and true DC throttles. Not really a setback as I'm used to running my trains with them without too much fuss. Then once the DB150 comes back I'll pick up where I left off. Hopefully with better luck. It's finally Friday! I'll be happy to see this week go into the books. It's been rough for sure. Picked up another hopper for the fleet. I'm a sucker for kits.
Screenshot_20220218-094905~2.png
Picked this up for $5 plus shipping. Well that's all I have for now. I'll stop by later if I get a chance.

Good morning all.

As expected, was a late night. But the Scotch tasting was great fun. All Diageo brands, but special limited releases: Cardhu 14yo, Oban 12yo, Talisker 8yo (which was my favorite for the night) and a Lagavulin 12yo. All cask strength with ABVs of 56 - 59.8 %. I drink my malt neat with just a few drops of water. But at those strengths, all I get is alcohol heat so always add a fair bit of water. Helps bring out the nuances of the nose and flavors.

Got home about 2300, and had two more short ones here. Wifey was still up as she had had a day. She toddled to bed and I got my friend settled in. He had a stroke 20 months ago and has some lasting effects, especially his left side. I, of course, fell asleep on the couch waiting for him to get settled in; woke at 0230 and went to bed myself. Up with the spousal-unit at 0730. Quiet, early night tonight.

I do hope to get some track down on that 22R southern curve. Demonstrating the layout to my friend last night, I did run a train all the way round as I had it connected with joiners. Ran great! EXCITED!!!

I hear stirrings, so best get another pot o' Joe going. Cheers all!

Good afternoon to all dwellers within the diner. Weather is a bit different then the 52f degrees So. Central Wisconsin had yesterday. 19 now heading to much colder over night.

The grandson was at the doctor this morning to check on his concussion. He is fine and the doctor cleared him for practice on Friday evening and games this Sunday. A parent of a kid who was not involved with any of this but saw the security tapes called the cops in. It was being handled but now the authories including Social Services are involved. This causes more issues for the victim’s family and the alleged perpetrator. The daughter was not filing charges as the Association and the State youth hockey association were taking care of the issue. Not now and the hubby, daughter and grandson stopped at the attorney office after the doctor today. All the ducks are lined up per the SIL. They will also now go after somehow the person that called in the police. Only the Attorneys will make out on this. Social Services said, not asked, but said they will come to the house at 9:30am to interview the gd/son’s parents on Friday. The Attorney will also be there. This is now really interesting.

I will head to the weathering station this afternoon.

Enjoy your day
TomO

TomO

FYI.... JMRI does now have it for Apple users.....

Being a nerd. I like DCC just because it is nerdy. Digital control!

But also, even if I only drive one train at a time (and sometimes I drive more than one -- Shinkansen on a loop going and me on another part of the track driving), DCC allows me to drive the train with other trains also being stopped on the layout and not responding to the throttle in addition. And with the push of a button I can switch to a different train to control. So it gives me flexibility.

But mostly for the tech and nerdiness.

Good morning guys, we are up to +12 heading to 27. Drove through a brief white out on the way in this morning, then nothing. You guys with the winds and tornados, that is definitely harder to take than just snow and cold.

Willie - Your fence is quite nice, so you drilled little holes in the toothpick and threaded the wire through that. I may actually try that depending on how your new fence project pans out.

McLeod - I am a big fan of your historic photos, eg. yesterday and this morning

Curt - thanks again for the comment on my photo of yesterday

Steve - good to hear the ears are working out for you

This photo shows an area of the layout I never was satisfied with. The foreground is supposed to be a sloppy logging job with branches, stumps, and weeds. I never could get it right.

The turnouts here are Bachmann. They worked fine, but on the new layout I am using all Peco. This section of track was actually salvaged and gifted to a local teenager.

a final view 002p.JPG

The backdrop was fine but not going that route on the new layout. Will do some painting on the walls, which are sky blue.

Thats all for now, Dave LASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back