Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOE - I read your post to the Spousal Unit - she loved it as did I. A great story of your son ... I would be tempted to photo that sheepskin and tack it to her door with a note thanking her. Your son probably has done better than he would have by going straight to college?
She laughed about you saying that they had the fortitude to leave and seek elsewhere.
How much snow did you receive?

LEE - great work on the piggy flat and trailers!

HUGHIE - That's a nice looking building!

CURT - I see that Murphy is vacationing in Florida? Sorry about that! Hope the back is better today?
That building's going to be really nice!

WILLIE - Sad story about your friend breaking the axel. Yup - The one that got me must have weighed twice as much as any of the others. I'm pretty sure that it was a good tie and possibly was put in the wrong stack. I was plagued by a "weak" back for a good 10 years after that - scared me good!

Having the local daughter and family over in a few hours for dinner. SWMBO has promised me a beef stroganoff and homemade salad. A beautiful 71F degree day out!

Good afternoon from the wilds of Wisconsin where it has become mysteriously warm. It is 28f degrees feeling like 22 wind chill. 33 degrees due in on Monday. So much better the the -35 wind chills we hit last week on Monday.

I spent some time in the train room. I poured the cement pad for the engine fueling area but did not pour the foundation for the engine shed. Tomorrow I will pour a skim coat for the area between the engine shed track and contemplate some more the foundation.

The granddaughter spent 3 hours with us as her brother had a out of town hockey game at a rink with no grandstands. Standing room only is not Harper’s thing.

enjoy the day
TomO

Curt: Ouch...I felt that one here. How bad is the F unit? The Express warehouse looks great. Has a nice sized footprint.

Tom: Since the Reading was the first to buy GP30s, I would have liked to see those done. I also agree with the B&O Sunburst scheme. I guess they are playing it safe using the safest road names for the first run.

Louis and Gary: I guess Cincinnati won?

Girl Scouts and cookies...I sort of wish they came around....I've been buying them for years, even though the more recent packaging gives you fewer cookies for a higher price. Sometimes, the little ladies become excessively exuberant. Grand daughter was in them for a couple years, but troop broke-up allegedly due to Covid. I have my own opinion.
Sherrel: Officially 14", My sidewalk, 16". Happy y'all enjoyed the story. I give all the credit to my wife. She stood up to the school authorities, when they wanted to put him on Ritalin and threatened to take us to court to enforce their decision. We said no...they blinked.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! Haven't had anything worthwhile to talk about recently so I took a bit of a "sabbatical" from posting here. Didn't have time to go back and read any farther than last 4 pages, so I won't be able to comment on any earlier topics.

Over the past few weeks I've been spending ~30 minutes every evening watching videos on Dr. John Campbell's youtube channel - I have Troy to blame for that ;) - since I no longer trust any mainstream news sources for agenda-free Covid info.

My region managed to dodge the bullet of this current winter storm which apparently clobbered Joe's neighborhood. Of course I didn't know we'd be dodging the bullet, so I spent time preparing for it and constantly checking the Weather Channel for updates. Saturday should have been a day for running trains, but I didn't want to risk losing my power from the high winds (40mph gusts) since an getting outage while my command station is on, might potentially scramble some of my decoders.

Apparently the #1 topic of conversation on each of the forums I visit, has been the Amherst show (which I see James was lucky enough to attend). I see that ScaleTrains has introduced a GP30 into their product line - possibly the first of their product line that I could potentially use on my layout..[?] Not from this run though, they aren't offering the B&O version. [Probably a good thing, since my cash flow has taken a hit thanks to the recent spate of inflation!] If I do end up buying one, it'll need to have factory-installed sound. All of my current P2K GP30's have large weights in them that I would need to do major surgery on to fit in a speaker. Been there done that - never again!

Anywho...I haven't posted any photos of my most recent modeling efforts, so I might as well do that now.

Sometime back in early December, I mentioned that I'd acquired a sound-equipped Walthers SW7 to add to my fleet of steel mill switchers. I shared a photo of it over on James' RPO thread, but I can't remember if I ever showed it in here[?] It came painted as a D&TSL unit which I was going to "patch" for my private Iron Belt short line. Here are pics of the model fresh-from-the-box, and after getting the IB patch job:
DTSL_SW7_OutOfBox.jpg
IronBelt#145_ex-DTSL#118.jpg

Something else I'd been wanting to do with my mill switchers was to change the dark green color to black, so that they would match my other orange & black Iron Belt locos. I originally painted them orange with dark green trim in the late 1990's, long before I knew what the IB paint scheme would eventually look like. Here's a before-and-after comparison of #141:
IronBelt#141_BeforeRepaint.jpg
IronBelt#141_Repainted.jpg

What I still need to do is apply some Iron Belt decals and weathering treatment on this and the other mill switchers to make them look the way they're suppose to. Steel mill motive power is always filthy...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Lee: I like what you do with Lionel Hi-Rail stuff. The Piggy Back flat upgrade with the wooden deck, is fantastic. Nice to see you posting again.

I ventured out into the cold. The snow thrower made short work of the snow Public Works redeposited in front of my driveway...I also cleared around the fire hydrant, and in front of the mail box. Now, I can relax the rest of the day.

So, today those who care will find out who will play in the Super Bowl. Football lost its luster many years ago, as far as I'm concerned. Possibly, too many years of mediocre local teams,[Giants and Jets], have more to do with my indifference than anything else.

Today, marks the 36th anniversary, of our closing the deal on this residence. We have been somewhat unhappy here, but every time there was an opportunity to move on, something would happen to keep us here. So, here we are...........We raised our children here, and in spite of obstacles, they have done well. (and had the good sense to move elsewhere). I still think back to the high school guidance counselor, who wouldn't sign off on the youngest going to College...any college. He needed to go to V0-tech, she said....Thought of her last month, when he was awarded his MBA at UNC. (He did start with vo-tech, learning Avionics at the USMC!), but that's not what the lady had in mind. Life is funny, eh?
Thanks I appreciate it. Hope to have some more soon I have several I need to get done

Afternoon All,

Made a quick trip to Wally World this morning. Surprisingly it wasn't very busy. After getting home and into the train room I placed the build on the layout and drew around the edges so when the roofs are on, I know where to drill holes in the plywood for wiring. Since I didn't have a car handy I grabbed an older Athearn F7 (with sound) to check the clearance of the future platform. After that I was walking back to put the loco up and hit my elbow on the corner of fascia so hard, I bruised and cut it. Of course, the loco went to the floor and fell apart. It hit the floor so hard MOH called up to see if I was okay. Needless to say, a future project. :mad:

I bit the bullet and put the roof bracing in place. They are extremely fragile. I busted the first 3 that I attempted to put in (had to repair them to have enough). I think I have them all in properly but not entirely sure. I guess I will find out tomorrow with the roof install. Overall, not a good day in the train room.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Jaz- Nice scene but it looks like only the supervisors are working! Are all those ducks yours?

Mikey- Nice RH area. The desk looks great as a worktable but maybe too big?

Joe- It's amazing the GP30's have lasted that long. Reminds me of the B-52's.

James- Great haul. Glad you had a good time and the weather cooperated.

Lee- Excellent modeling.

Hughie- Great looking structure.

View attachment 139946

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt for the complement your building looks good too

JOE - I read your post to the Spousal Unit - she loved it as did I. A great story of your son ... I would be tempted to photo that sheepskin and tack it to her door with a note thanking her. Your son probably has done better than he would have by going straight to college?
She laughed about you saying that they had the fortitude to leave and seek elsewhere.

LEE - great work on the piggy flat and trailers!

HUGHIE - That's a nice looking building!

CURT - I see that Murphy is vacationing in Florida? Sorry about that! Hope the back is better today?
That building's going to be really nice!

WILLIE - Sad story about your friend breaking the axel. Yup - The one that got me must have weighed twice as much as any of the others. I'm pretty sure that it was a good tie and possibly was put in the wrong stack. I was plagued by a "weak" back for a good 10 years after that - scared me good!

Having the local daughter and family over in a few hours for dinner. SWMBO has promised me a beef stroganoff and homemade salad. A beautiful 71F degree day out!
Thanks for the complement this project is a lot of fun

Some are still kicking!
IMG_3936.JPG

OK, its not an engine the WM ever had, (WM 501-504 were GP35s) but with one in this scheme and one in black with Speed Lettering the Western Maryland Scenic Railway has 2 survivors. In a strange twist, they will be sidelined by a steam engine, WMSR 1309.

Last edited:
If I do end up buying one, it'll need to have factory-installed sound. All of my current P2K GP30's have large weights in them that I would need to do major surgery on to fit in a speaker. Been there done that - never again!
Ken: I need another locomotive like a hole in the head...but My current GP30 fleet, leaves much to be desired. This is a real temptation, the PRR units 2201 and 2222 even with Train-phone antennas, (which they only had for 4 years of their service life), look great. One summer, I was working at Browns Yard in Old Bridge, NJ, and during a surge in business, we were assigned literally, the very last GP30 and the very last GP35 in service on the Conrail system. Had the GP30 for four straight nights, but shopped it for a air brake leak the fifth night. The following week it was gone...Altoona for disposition...The GP 35 lingered until it was due for a Periodic, then also was sent to Altoona ...

Love those Iron Belt EMD switchers. They have character...

Karl: The WM version looks great. The Brick Station platform is quite nice also. Broken curb and all.

Sherrel: ...Actually, that must have been the reaction to the Rams winning.... Ya think?

Concerning the Scale Trains GP30s, I see they are offering the UP B units, including one equipped with steam generators. Uncle Pete actually operated some of their remaining secondary passenger / mail trains with GP30 + GP30B + GP30B consists, as I understand it.

Defense played very well.....Offense was terrible with dropped balls and missed cues.

Special teams was atrocious! Absolutely terrible! ! We have been plagued with issues with special teams all season and I just do not understand it! We had all the other stuff taken care for the most part but man this pissed me off! I am also tired of Bakhtiari he needs to be cut he didn't play and he definitely dead weight with his prone to getting hurt all the time....time to go! I was also pissed that Rodgers kept going to Davante when Cobb was wide open so so many times. Ugh! I know he trust the guy so what gives. Yup my season is over!

On another note the Buffalo Bills played a hell of a game man that was impressive. I would have liked to see them pull that off....

I hope to see the Rams and Bengals in the Super Bowl....that's my pic for this coming weekend....and I kinda want the Rams to win it with Matt Stafford......
Well as my previous post mentioned.....see above....

"I hope to see the Rams and Bengals in the Super Bowl....that's my pic for this coming weekend....and I kinda want the Rams to win it with Matt Stafford......"

What do you know I made a good choice and picks 🤔 😂 😂

This will actually make a good Super Bowl Game! I am looking forward to it..... even though my Packers failed yet again. So my choice will be the LA Rams to win it....

I have been burning wood all day as it is a bit cold. Currently 5 degrees and still dropping....I think it got to a high of 11 today lol.

So I have been relaxing watching the games. Putting together a few car kits simultaneously as well.

I was going to install the new Digitrax system but decided to wait until next weekend as I have some cleaning and organizing I need to desperately do. So that is first. Ya'll have a good evening!

Nice photo, KARL!

Surprise:
Had a 4.0 earthquake a few hours ago bout 30 miles South of us!
ONE pretty good "jolt" was all.
I used to live in an ex mining town, one day the whole place had the hanging lights all start swaying,no noise,no obvious shake,it was quite scary,I saw the one in the room as I was walking and then as I walked into the next that ceiling light also swaying.

As an aside the weirdest thing I saw had me spooked was a teaspoon moving in my sink, it just went round and round a friend and I were just looking at it,she asked about ghosts, when the other half came home he had a prosaic answer,mouse in drain climbed up and trying to get to the light, totally threw us though.

luckily we don’t have much unusual here in the UK. A small 10 foot ‘tornado’ was once seen by me on a field, oh a friend said she once saw a ball of light like fire move in her lounge and slowly go up the wall,she ran up stairs to see it continue up,she ran outside but it was gone,apparently this is a phenomenon that can occur rarely documented linked to electricity,this before we had mobile phones so no capture.

I once drove down the road where the left hand side of my windscreen was being rained on heavily,but my drivers side was clear,and large dark cloud in the sky partly above me,totally strange,

Afternoon All,

Made a quick trip to Wally World this morning. Surprisingly it wasn't very busy. After getting home and into the train room I placed the build on the layout and drew around the edges so when the roofs are on, I know where to drill holes in the plywood for wiring. Since I didn't have a car handy I grabbed an older Athearn F7 (with sound) to check the clearance of the future platform. After that I was walking back to put the loco up and hit my elbow on the corner of fascia so hard, I bruised and cut it. Of course, the loco went to the floor and fell apart. It hit the floor so hard MOH called up to see if I was okay. Needless to say, a future project. :mad:

I bit the bullet and put the roof bracing in place. They are extremely fragile. I busted the first 3 that I attempted to put in (had to repair them to have enough). I think I have them all in properly but not entirely sure. I guess I will find out tomorrow with the roof install. Overall, not a good day in the train room.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Jaz- Nice scene but it looks like only the supervisors are working! Are all those ducks yours?

Mikey- Nice RH area. The desk looks great as a worktable but maybe too big?

James- Great haul. Glad you had a good time and the weather cooperated.

Lee- Excellent modeling.

Hughie- Great looking structure.

View attachment 139946

I hope everyone has a good night.
Yes we have a lot of ducks,started with 7 girls and 4 free boys, and they can breed,are good parents,and so inquisitive,if we bring up the babies,then when they see you walking about they follow in the hope of a titbit a snail,a slug,a worm,sometimes you can lead a massive group of inquisitive birds,I was in the orchard Ripping down fruit, once they see one of the others they like plums,apples pears berries,some will kill for a strawberry and others are like yuck wtf. Lol. Luckily we have a big old greenhouse where they can be put when the flu occurs in winter and they have to be kept in,when they get out in spring there is this massive exodus,the odd few take to the roof tops little beggars,but can usually be enticed down with a treat. I am told turkeys are terrible for getting on roofs.ours are allowed to check out the allotment and keep insects down,but we need to protect young plants. We have some chickens 🐔 and a couple of geese.
The Muscovy have thick down cope with cold and wet, and fly up out of the way of a fox,will attempt to kill rats,occasionally succeedin,there are lots of colours,
5362C1EB-EE4D-434E-9B78-A2951FF13724.jpeg
5C42E05A-64D7-4AEC-B848-F6BB14274ABF.jpeg
C8A7FD00-8D75-4591-8069-894E7DCEA2C9.jpeg
2057B122-5735-4AAE-914A-9ACF40390F37.jpeg
4979B3B5-49CA-4B04-A63E-E365A15C5CE6.jpeg

Good morning all! A frosty 14 degrees here in SE Illinois on the way to sunny and 40. Back to work today after a couple days off.

Did some surgery yesterday on my wife's laptop and managed to screw it up. I've worked on desktops and laptops for about 20 years and never broke anything on the motherboard until yesterday. This laptop was the biggest pain in the neck to work on. All I wanted to do was put in a new SSD to replace the current drive. Turns out HP wanted to make that an unnecessarily hard thing to do. Had to take a bunch of screws from the bottom, then pry out the keyboard to get at the HD. The little clip that secures the keyboard ribbon cable to the board wasn't interested in moving so I applied a tad too much pressure to it and it broke. No way to secure the ribbon cable now. I can still feed the cable into the connector, but no way to keep it there. As of now the keyboard works partially, but a lot of keys don't work. Only way to use it is with a USB keyboard. So mad at myself for doing that.

Nothing else to report. Have a feeling it's going to be a long day at work. Don't know why, just have that feeling. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning all! A frosty 14 degrees here in SE Illinois on the way to sunny and 40. Back to work today after a couple days off.

Did some surgery yesterday on my wife's laptop and managed to screw it up. I've worked on desktops and laptops for about 20 years and never broke anything on the motherboard until yesterday. This laptop was the biggest pain in the neck to work on. All I wanted to do was put in a new SSD to replace the current drive. Turns out HP wanted to make that an unnecessarily hard thing to do. Had to take a bunch of screws from the bottom, then pry out the keyboard to get at the HD. The little clip that secures the keyboard ribbon cable to the board wasn't interested in moving so I applied a tad too much pressure to it and it broke. No way to secure the ribbon cable now. I can still feed the cable into the connector, but no way to keep it there. As of now the keyboard works partially, but a lot of keys don't work. Only way to use it is with a USB keyboard. So mad at myself for doing that.

Nothing else to report. Have a feeling it's going to be a long day at work. Don't know why, just have that feeling. Hope you all have a great day!
I believe that's called Murphy's law :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back