Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
a contributing factor towards the high infection and death rate in the US.
Take that with a grain of salt. The statistics can be misleading due to fearmongering by certain officials, as early in the "pandemic" many hospitalizations/deaths were erroneously classified as "due to Covid" when they were really "with Covid".
However, since there was so much that was unknown at the time, we had no national policy with regards to testing and reporting, a big failure on the part of government.

Well, howdy there, internet peeps, and those who appreciate how language changes

It's Troy again.

Today, let's talk about embarrasing British spellings.

I just got my latest book back from the editor. I'm working through her suggestions for changes and filling in the gaps. Since this series is set in the UK, I write with British spellings and conventions (EG No full stops after Mr and Mrs like we would in the States)

So I set the computer to Brit-spellings, and got cracking this morning. One word is being highlighted by MS Word as misspelled.

Tidbits

Seems as though that's the US spelling.

the rest of the world spells it as:

Titbits

Since I write in a genre Cozy Mystery where there is no gore, no on-the-page sexy times, and no cussing... I just can't bring myself to include

Titbits

Looks like this one is going to stay American.

Though, knowing my countrymen, it seems like they'd embrace that spelling more than Tidbits.

Back to editing!

Well, howdy there, internet peeps, and those who appreciate how language changes

It's Troy again.

Today, let's talk about embarrasing British spellings.

I just got my latest book back from the editor. I'm working through her suggestions for changes and filling in the gaps. Since this series is set in the UK, I write with British spellings and conventions (EG No full stops after Mr and Mrs like we would in the States)

So I set the computer to Brit-spellings, and got cracking this morning. One word is being highlighted by MS Word as misspelled.

Tidbits

Seems as though that's the US spelling.

the rest of the world spells it as:

Titbits

Since I write in a genre Cozy Mystery where there is no gore, no on-the-page sexy times, and no cussing... I just can't bring myself to include

Titbits

Looks like this one is going to stay American.

Though, knowing my countrymen, it seems like they'd embrace that spelling more than Tidbits.

Back to editing!
A Tit is also a bird, Blue tit, Great tit, Marsh tit, Crested tit. The Great Tit belongs to the same family as the chickadees in the US. The Great tit has also been seen on the western shores of Lake Michigan.

You could also change "titbits" to "little bits"?:)

Troy on about embarrassing British spelling, how about embarrassing Town names, that has to be worse surely.

• Accident, Maryland. ...
  • Middelfart, Denmark. ...
  • Wank, Germany. ...
  • Windpassing, Austria. ...
  • Shitterton, UK. ...
  • Moron, Andalusia. ...
  • Bendova, Czech Republic. The townsfolk here will do anything to keep you happy.
  • Dull, Scotland. Now proudly twinned with Boring in Oregon.

Troy on about embarrassing British spelling, how about embarrassing Town names, that has to be worse surely.

• Accident, Maryland. ...
  • Middelfart, Denmark. ...
  • Wank, Germany. ...
  • Windpassing, Austria. ...
  • Shitterton, UK. ...
  • Moron, Andalusia. ...
  • Bendova, Czech Republic. The townsfolk here will do anything to keep you happy.
  • Dull, Scotland. Now proudly twinned with Boring in Oregon.
Don’t forget
Intercourse and Blueball Pennsylvania

Good Morning All. Clear and what looks to be 33° on the thermometer on the back porch. Winds are gusting at 1 mph, not much of a wind chill. Our ever changing weather forecast is calling for highs around 70° from today until Tuesday, and dropping drastically to a low of 12° Thursday night. That will last until Saturday. The local weather media is going absolutely bonkers. Memories must be really short, as a year ago we were experiencing ranges from 0° to 10° for about a week. Rain is a probability Wednesday evening; if that happens I expect a lot of ice on the roads. Time to consider rescheduling the grocery trek Thursday.

So what's really happening with the weather in the Northeast this morning? All I can find in the national media is what could happen. The radar appears to show little movement of the system which usually spells disastrously heavy snowfall.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding my random pictures yesterday; Patrick, Gary, Joe, Sherrel, Justin, James, Karl, Tom O, Troy, Steve J, Smudge, Dave B, Chad, Hughie, Louis, Tom, Curt, Rick, OB Ken, Mikey, George.

Not a lot of action out in the train shed yesterday. Hammered away at ballast and ground cover. It's actually progressing well. I'm still searching for the freight car that's missing the air reservoir that I found in the staging yard last week. I also moved further up the line in the cleaning project.
For today's viewing pleasure, here are a few structures that are not currently on the layout. Two of them have been on it at one time, but right now I am going to use them on an un-scenicked part that I have yet to attack. They will be going into an area that will have the recently built Antiques Barn and the Campground.
06-09-19 001.JPG

04-10-18 006.JPG

06-12-16 004.JPG

06-12-16 007.JPG

06-12-16 022.JPG

06-12-16 023.JPG

Tom O -
Decent temperatures up to 18f degrees today
You guys are nuts! Decent temperatures???
Mikey - The Ace Auto signage is printed on white paper. Just happens to match the color on the building. I sanded it down to tissue thin before using Elmer's White Glue to attach it.
Smudge - Along the lines of odd city names, about 55 miles from Dallas TX is a place called Gun Barrel City TX.

Everyone have a great Saturday. Stay warm and safe.

Good morning gang
17 and sunny today, but it’s gonna stay cold so nothing is gonna melt. There was no snowmageddon for us, that nor’easter went too far out to sea we got maybe a half inch on the ground, Now they are talking about the next storm,Sunday night into Monday. I think they are just stirring the pot. What ever happens, we will face, adapt and overcome.

Flo, a round of coffee for the shop, on me!!!

Good Morning All. Clear and what looks to be 33° on the thermometer on the back porch. Winds are gusting at 1 mph, not much of a wind chill. Our ever changing weather forecast is calling for highs around 70° from today until Tuesday, and dropping drastically to a low of 12° Thursday night. That will last until Saturday. The local weather media is going absolutely bonkers. Memories must be really short, as a year ago we were experiencing ranges from 0° to 10° for about a week. Rain is a probability Wednesday evening; if that happens I expect a lot of ice on the roads. Time to consider rescheduling the grocery trek Thursday.

So what's really happening with the weather in the Northeast this morning? All I can find in the national media is what could happen. The radar appears to show little movement of the system which usually spells disastrously heavy snowfall.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding my random pictures yesterday; Patrick, Gary, Joe, Sherrel, Justin, James, Karl, Tom O, Troy, Steve J, Smudge, Dave B, Chad, Hughie, Louis, Tom, Curt, Rick, OB Ken, Mikey, George.

Not a lot of action out in the train shed yesterday. Hammered away at ballast and ground cover. It's actually progressing well. I'm still searching for the freight car that's missing the air reservoir that I found in the staging yard last week. I also moved further up the line in the cleaning project.
For today's viewing pleasure, here are a few structures that are not currently on the layout. Two of them have been on it at one time, but right now I am going to use them on an un-scenicked part that I have yet to attack. They will be going into an area that will have the recently built Antiques Barn and the Campground.
View attachment 139650
View attachment 139651
View attachment 139652
View attachment 139653
View attachment 139654
View attachment 139655

Tom O -

You guys are nuts! Decent temperatures???
Mikey - The Ace Auto signage is printed on white paper. Just happens to match the color on the building. I sanded it down to tissue thin before using Elmer's White Glue to attach it.
Smudge - Along the lines of odd city names, about 55 miles from Dallas TX is a place called Gun Barrel City TX.

Everyone have a great Saturday. Stay warm and safe.
Some nice building this time Willie. Where did you buy those?
George

YEAH, KARL -- Thanks for the nice SD-38 photo! That's one of FOUR that the FRISCO had: 2 each in TULSA and MEMPHIS for working the "humps" in the yards there -- spent their entire life doing that, I think?
BTW - BQ for Birthday is very nice! Gonna put in my request for the same - ways to go first!

Mornng RR Folks - we are at 43F and looking for my favorite temp of 69F later on under partly sunny and breezy.
Reminds me that the Spousal Unit and I need another "date night" away from the pups, computers, salon, and kitchen!
I will have to work on that next week?

CURT - You pull your back moving something, or sleep wrong, or just another sign of being older.
I have not been plagued with back problems in a long time, but have certainly had my share -- even spending a week in traction from shouldering a too heavy RR tie building a retaining wall when I was age 25 - no fun!

GOOD LUCK and Best Wishes to all of you in the Great White North this morning! Looks like a "humdinger"!

FLO - Put a good "shot" in KARL's coffee this morning - maybe even some of that Irish Cream?
I'll placce an order a little later!

Good morning all! A frigid 7 degrees out and sunny heading for 30 and sunny.

I'd like to just stay in the house today since it's so cold, but gotta head out later for my grandson's regional playoff basketball game. If they win they continue. If they lose the season is over. His team lost a closeone to this team a while back while my grandson was out with covid. Hoping he can make up the difference and they win this time.

Nothing else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

BTW, what are shreddies?
Mike: Bite sized Shredded Wheat...like Nabisco used to make and sell years ago...now you mostly see store brand. It may currently be a Canadian brand, not sure on that, but it's easier than spelling out Bite Sized Shredded wheat.

This is a typical Nor'easter Snow storm, with wind and blowing snow. I'm not going anywhere until it stops and then I'll clear the driveway.
Willie, it snowing and blowing snow. The heaviest bands are off the coast, and accumulation totals are conflicting. Today's high was 28°, at midnight, and right now all stations are reporting 20°. Expected to drop to 8° by tomorrow morning. It is anticipated that the snow will stop around 1PM and the Blizzard Warning expires at 4PM. Best guess is 10 to 15" have fallen depending on location. It could have been worse...

Good Morning all!
Happy Saturday

19F right now, up to 32F according to the weather guessers. Above freezing during daytime until Wednesday.

Port Problems still?

Yup, have a package coming in from Asia - got to destination port on the 12th and seems to be waiting patiently. Suspect the destination port is LA.

Nothing earth stopping, just some test clips.

later

Mike: Bite sized Shredded Wheat...like Nabisco used to make and sell years ago...now you mostly see store brand. It may currently be a Canadian brand, not sure on that, but it's easier than spelling out Bite Sized Shredded wheat.

This is a typical Nor'easter Snow storm, with wind and blowing snow. I'm not going anywhere until it stops and then I'll clear the driveway.

Willie, it snowing and blowing snow. The heaviest bands are off the coast, and accumulation totals are conflicting. Today's high was 28°, at midnight, and right now all stations are reporting 20°. Expected to drop to 8° by tomorrow morning. It is anticipated that the snow will stop around 1PM and the Blizzard Warning expires at 4PM. Best guess is 10 to 15" have fallen depending on location. It could have been worse...
Boris we got both.
shred.jpg
wheat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back