Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the world needs more baseball!

Sherrel and I, probably others come from a baseball background. Old school baseball was full of good natured ribbing. I enjoy it, others, not so much. Our challenge is to know the difference. Last thing I want to do is to hurt anyone's feelings. I suspect most people on this forum feel the same.

Good Morning Everybody!

In keeping with the 12 days of Christmas...
1641121163659.png

One of my favorite places.

1641121237294.png

One of my favorite pictures.

Happy Holidays Everybody!

God Bless us Everyone.

Nope, I never take offense about what anyone types. I was going to talk to you about the weird new avi, though...

That's Gonzo from the Muppets as Charles Dickens. I'm trying to add some literary culture to this place. Mel's old copies of Greasy Spoon magazines, and mangled 3-year old Sports Illustrated he gets from his doctor's office aren't in the same league as Gonzo and Rizzo. ;)

In other news, I learned of a statue to a leg in Saratoga National Historical park

Supposed the leg fought valiantly and was attached to the "ungrateful colonials" most brilliant general in the American War for Independence.

Supposedly, the general asked a captured American officer, whom he had taken prisoner – following the Generals defection to the British side – what the colonial officer would do if their positions were reversed.

The office responded that they'd cut off the injured leg and give it burial with full military honors, since it had been wounded twice in service to his country. The rest of him would hang.

The general was Benedict Arnold

arnolds-boot-333x500.jpg

Good Morning All. Brrrh! Mostly cloudy and 16°, wind chill of 3° F. Guy sent his weather our way last night. The radar loop shows that it snowed here around 0130, but I didn't see anything during bathroom break #1 and there is none on the ground. Today won't get much warmer than 40°. The 20 mph wind is supposed to die down around noon, at least it's not near 30 mph like yesterday when the norther first blew in. I am already tired of this weather! Looks like blue jeans again today.

Looks like my main chore today is to bring in firewood.

Wife tells me that yes there were fireworks next door on Friday night, I just slept through them. Blissful ignorance when I take out the hearing aids.

Someone here posted that they were binge-watching Yellowstone. My wife is also doing that. The few times that I passed through the living room when it was on, I saw nothing except violence and tension. I have no clue as to what the plot is, but no one in the show seemed happy! Ever! I must be missing something. Doesn't seem entertaining to me. She has football today, so I'll hear either cheering or expletives instead. My guess is that she'll be watching the Rams/Ravens early, followed by the Cardinals/Cowboys, and finally the Vikings/Packers. Those will be her prime choices, she'll skip around the league every time there is a timeout.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the update pictures, and my other posts as well. Far too many to list today

Bacon and lots of it, along with a steaming bowl of oatmeal today Flo.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I plodded along with the DPM structure. I added a black construction paper view block, did some black weathering on the trackside loading dock and started on the ground cover between it and the brewery. I took some pictures but left the camera outside and I am not going out in this cold to get it.
Since Hughie is building Wicked Wanda's, I'll just post a couple from my layout.
IMG_7427.JPG
IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_7433.JPG

Wow! Really busy here in the Coffee Shop yesterday, 79 posts before midnight. We're off to a roaring start for 2022.
Jaz - I just don't know what to think about the "Morris Dancing"!!! It looks like one needs to have a few pints first.
Sherrel - Regarding the IRS audit, that was confirmed by my wife as well. Of course she cannot recommend that to her clients directly, just in off-handed remarks.
Alan - I just wish that the NAPM video didn't scroll by so fast. I had to slow it down to properly view it.
OB Ken - Regarding getting up early, I got up at 0415 every morning, usually without the alarm clock, for 43 years. Unfortunately now 6.5 years after retirement, I still do.
Troy - Too bad about postponing the trip; although it may be a wise choice due to MIL's situation.
Dave - Our weather yesterday wasn't as severe as the "norther of 11" was. Our temperature only dropped 51° in 18 hours. Firewood? Yes! I am currently good through spring of '23.
Smudge - If you don't already have one, you need a Kadee coupler height gauge. It will take the guesswork out of coupler heights. There's an insulated one available as well, and they're available from many different suppliers. Not sure about availability in the UK though.
Hughie - Berms are not usually modeled on layouts that I have seen. I have a few, and will be adding more when I finally build the Ethanol Refinery. Very interesting fact regarding the mules and the reel mowers.
Lee - At least the first two times that Christian re-joined the forum, it was because he forgot his password. Like others, I am unsure what happened this time, I never read any negative comments unless they were deleted rapidly by a moderator.
Ken - Changes in weather are a fact of life here. Lightning is usually the culprit with our power outages, although there was one last week for an unknown reason during nice calm weather. The power company has a contractor who comes out every few years and trims all trees that could potentially impact their lines. I keep an eye open for them as I do gather up some firewood from the roadside and I have them dump several truckloads of wood chips that I use as mulch and soil conditioner in the garden. They won't bring the firewood to me though.
Best wishes on the health issues.
Tom O - I definitely agree that the photos of the French countryside were excellent. Just not enough of them.

Everybody have a great Sunday. Stay safe and warm.

Greetings all! Am NOT going to go through the five pages already posted.

Wedding was great - celebration pricey, but also great. Did not intend to see in the New Year, but ended up still up as I was still winding down. Cognac instead of bubbly.

Yesterday, a quiet day. Wife still not over her flu and may be morphing into a sinus infection. I was feeling it yesterday, but think it is just tired - really tired. Watched, "Horse Soldiers" with the Duke. We had our collard greens and black-eye peas. I did all the prep work for the peas, she did the greens. I went to the ritzy place for take-out fried chicken. $42 for one bird cut up and fried!! Was good though.

Won't be on the 'puter much this week as we are taking a stay-home holiday. Cheers and a blessed 2022 to all!

Steve J

Good morning friends! Cloudy and 30 enroute to cloudy and 32 today. This is the last day of my 4-day weekend. On the upside, I only have to go back and work a week before a short vacation. I had some vacation hours I had to use or lose by the end of the month, so I'm definitely going to use it.

Had a really great day celebrating Christmas with my parents, sister and brother in-law. My sister's boys were there briefly, but one wasn't feeling well and went home pretty quickly after lunch. The other works overnights and just got up for a quick visit before heading back to bed. Wish we would get together a lot more often as the whole day was just really fun. The downside was I ate way too much and my belly is still telling me that even this morning.

That's all I have to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Morning all,

Went from 60° on Friday evening to 27 when I got up at 5:30a yesterday and then the bottom dropped out through the day. We had freezing rain and snow flurries throughout the day. I did get a bunch of stuff done I needed to do in the garage on Friday and then we got the the Christmas stuff put away for another year. I did get to the trains yesterday. I'm working on my BB GP9 that didn't have the correct railings think I figured a way to get some made, but keep hitting roadblocks. BTW Thanks for sending the ones you did Karl. They are very useful as patterns. I'll get back to it and add pictures when I get to the office.

I attempted to get on with the cell phone yesterday, but had issues and the cell phone wanting to make sure I really wanted to use the like button after each post nd then didn't add it.

Happy belated New Year's to everyone. Hope this year is the best year in every way.

Alan- I don't comprehend as fast as I once did, but I thought I saw a couple shots of your SP passenger trains.
Am I correct?
Well, a little. The saddle tank shop switcher #217 belongs to me, and that's it for that particular video. SP modelers are actually pretty well represented in our group. Most of what SP you saw belongs to a young fellow named Doug Clements, who does these videos for us. I've taken him under my wing so to speak, since he has such great taste in railroads. ;) There are several other guys wo do SP as well. I've gone and gotten him bitten by the brass bug too (another life ruined! 😂). I have two trains in the below video, our 45th anniversary run night/party. The ten wheeler with the Harriman coaches, and the M-10000. I like the "Cities" trains since the SP was part owner in that fleet. I brought small trains that night since they are under-represented as a rule. There's also my Lark here at a previous open house in the pre-Covid days.

Lark Video here:

Good morning gang

Heading out soon to get my Covid booster shot At Walgreens, then a side trip to HD to look at LED lights for the train room. I want to see what HD has comparable. Looking at the flush mount 5000 k lights that will fit in the drop ceiling.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Infibrite-...h-Mount-Dimmable-Wet-Rated-12-Pack/5012501945
I need at least a 12 pack and maybe 2-3 more.

Looks like my main chore today is to bring in firewood.

Ditto here. We are looking for flurries tomorrow, with measurable snow by Friday. The wood rack in the basement holds about 1/4 of a cord, do I better get it inside, There are 2 cords on a landscaper's type trailer at the top of the basement steps, just gotta move it!

BBL

p.s. Gotta feelin Christian will be back.

Good Morning, folks!
Looks like we are already at our peak temperature for the day of 10F. The weather graph shows predictions headed in the wrong direction for the rest of the day. Then the extreme cold moves back in. I'd suppose I'd better clean-up the dog-do minefield in the backyard today, or I won't get another chance for awhile.
Willie - I didn't wish the bad weather on you. The greed of big industry did. It seems there's a high price to pay for progress and comforts.

I believe my new dog has a mental disorder. She simply cannot be left alone, or she begins yelping (seemingly uncontrollably), or destroys our shoes. It's aggravating as hell. - Yesterday I left her in the backyard while I shovelled snow, and my 'junkie' neighbour calls the bylaw officer on me for the whelping.
So, I put the dog in the house, so I could continue the shovelling job. She ripped apart both my wife's and my slippers.
I can't just let her run, because she goes after the deer and won't come back.
A-lot of time is spent with her, trying gently to make her see different. Just don't seem to be working.
The dog's only 1yr old, so I'm hoping it's just the puppy in her and she'll grow out of it. If not, it's going to get bad for her, and I don't want that to happen.
That's my rant for the day.

I will get some time to work on the depot today. But first; coffee and toast, walk the dog, and poop clean-up.

Bye-the-way, I liked Christian; just so you know. My comments were just trying to make a light-hearted response to the situation. I was not trying to be nasty.

Here's another re-run train photo for the day:
Pic 7.JPG

It was considerably more pleasant weather when I took that photo.

Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back