Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
We here in northern FL (St Augustine) are looking to maybe break a record temp today,...85 plus and sunny,...before the cold front comes thru sun night.

Count my blessings we are not like those very unfortunate folks in CO being welcomed into the New year with devastation of their homes & lives.

Good morning friends and welcome to 2022. Flo is serving up coffee and breakfast with a smile this morning, so leave a really nice tip.

It's a very rainy 48 degrees here. Expecting rain all day. Tried to stay up to seen in the new year last night, but only made it to about 11:30. I'm so used to getting up early these days that the late nights don't come easily like they used to.

Having a late Christmas today with my parents and sister and her family. Should be fun. After that, no real plans.

Got some of my Bachmann EZ track out of a storage container last night while I was trying to figure out how to fix my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0. I've been wanting to try using something on track to improve electrical conductivity, especially with the EZ track since it doesn't seem to work very well. At least the old track I have is pretty bad performance wise. I had seen the No-Ox technique several places including the thread here from a couple years or so ago, so I bought some of the kind we sell at work called Ox-Gard. Same idea, different brand. It made a noticeable improvement, but it's not perfect. It's definitely a trick to hit the right balance of not enough vs too much of that stuff. I put a very thing coat on the rails and hit the rail joiners with a little more to help improve the flow from one section to the next. I ran my little 4-4-0 on it, or tried to but it derails easily and just doesn't run well to begin with. I ran a Penn Central GP40 I have on it and it did much better. May experiment some more today.

As I detailed in my other thread, that little 4-4-0 is a pain in the rear. Seems like it just wasn't engineered very well because the wires between the locomotive and the tender seem to be very stiff. When the two units are connected, the wires literally hold the front trucks of the tender up in the air. If I use the connector hole on the engine that is closer to the cab, it tends to derail very easily. Either way, not impressed with it at all. I'd like to find a better 4-4-0 for the Oil Belt Traction Company sometime, although other things are a higher priority now.

OB Ken - I am with you on the rather do electrical than plumbing any
more. It's not the leaks or water, but it's the squirming about under sinks that is hard on my body.
Oh, definitely same problem here. I'm still hurting after crawling into vanities the last couple days. Found a small leak I'm gonna have to fix, but have to get a short section of Pex pipe and connectors to do it.

Nothing else to report here from rainy Illinois. Have a great day!

Good morning y'all! Happy New Year.

51°, and FOGGY! The forecast as written on the NOAA site is a bit confusing, but in short once the fog lifts, it's rain through tomorrow night.

When I made my comments concerning FB, I didn't consider the platform I was using to view FB. I will try something else, before I totally give up on the service. Kindle "Fire" leaves a lot to be desired...

Next step is to finish my second cup of coffee, and start my day.

Morning all!

Made it through 2021 vertical! Hope y'all are well!

-2F and clear. Gonna be brrrrr for a few days according to the Verizone guess. Possibly 13F about 1500. Almost above freezing on Monday .. we will see. Have the cook stove helping the pellet stoves for a couple of days.

Been trying to get a few CB's on that auction site. Had SWR/Power meter and short lengths of RG58 from the Truck hiding somewhere. Could show the potential buyer that they powered on, and as a 'parts only' auction. Searched the house and train cave twice and they were not to be found. Of course I was looking for something else and found them in a completely st00pid place. Now at least I can power test them and change my wording to 'works' abet across the room. Oh, what hoops we sometimes have to jump.

Forgot - made it to about 2100 last night - heard a few bangs and booms. I suspect that there were not many people out at -4F playing. Talked with my wife and we came to the conclusion that we have not been out New Years for more than 20 years. What hermits we are.

Enjoy your day!

Good morning all. Happy New Year. Here’s some O Scale pics for you
BB705C23-8C02-42B8-BD12-EF0B6A07394E.jpeg
8008CBF5-8753-4045-AA95-7C7F88385115.jpeg
0480C7AF-39E1-422D-BE96-BEBC91E559EA.jpeg
40E45A65-D126-4EAF-85DF-ADBCE03F5852.jpeg
AE5F0901-FE17-4C89-8680-D27BAA0772C2.jpeg
FC3668C4-8AD6-4F01-B326-0EF8620D50FA.jpeg
6AE04577-49C8-4035-A4C4-F065F87FBBFC.jpeg
328C6714-2F05-42C5-8113-34FCC99B138D.jpeg
922ACA8B-F193-43D2-8880-6F87DFC8DAC8.jpeg

It is going to be one of those days. My wife just flipped on the A/C as it is 74 degrees F and 79% humidity. The forecast is 78 degrees and thunderstorms with possible tornado warnings today in the Birmingham, Alabama area.

I put dried black-eyed peas in the crock pot last night and covered with water to soak overnight.
When I checked this morning the peas were within 1/2 inch of the rim. I put more water in and turned the pot on. In a couple hours, I will add some mixed veggies and slice up about a pound of smoked pork sausage. We will have a traditional southern New Years dinner of black-eyed peas and pork.
My brother is visiting from Spokane, Washington, so we will eat peas and pork several times in the coming days. My wife doesn't mind if she doesn't have to cook. Wishing y'all a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Happy New year All
I've been a batchelor all week and did not starve. Wife & daughter are boarding in Charleston SC soon, thru Denver for a plane switch then I pick up my "tender" in Sacramento at 8:30. 15K still without power in this county.
@ctclibby I spent a couple days in Libby in Aug 2007 waiting to pick up some equipment west of town a ways. Big cliff on south side of hwy where they were hanging rock screens. Watched trains run along the Kootenai ? river for 2 days. Beautiful there.
@CHRISTIAΝ Best I can tell, your layout is "period correct" ;)

Happy New year All
I've been a batchelor all week and did not starve. Wife & daughter are boarding in Charleston SC soon, thru Denver for a plane switch then I pick up my "tender" in Sacramento at 8:30. 15K still without power in this county.
@ctclibby I spent a couple days in Libby in Aug 2007 waiting to pick up some equipment west of town a ways. Big cliff on south side of hwy where they were hanging rock screens. Watched trains run along the Kootenai ? river for 2 days. Beautiful there.
@CHRISTIAΝ Best I can tell, your layout is "period correct" ;)
Ya, that rock fence is near Kootenai Falls. West Kootenai Falls is the control point just a little west. Great place to train watch. In fact, almost anywhere from Bonners Ferry up to the tunnel is. Railroad used to have a road down to Katka and Lenonia on the south side of the river, although I didn't find it again when I went that way last summer. Pretty rugged terrain through the canyon ( Crossport to Katka ).

MIKEY - Growing up in the South, I like your style! Just last evening the Spousal Unit cooked up a large pot of Large Lima Beans with a hambone from Christmas along with a pan pf cornbread. My Mom really made beans and ham great, but I have to say that my baby out did her; she added chopped up onion, carrots, and celery to the fray. Not enough to be overpowering, but just for an added flavor - I stuffed myself!

Well, howdy there internet people, and those excited about Christian's scenery upgrades. It's Troy again

Just heard from the wife and SIL that they've decided to postpone our cruise at the end of Jan.

The clincher was hearing that our ship just had to cancel most of their entertainment due to an outbreak among the entertainers. Wife HAS to go to the shows. That, and having ships turned away from ports due to too many cases on board... an MSC ship was denied permission to unload passengers at their line's private island in the Bahamas. Even though it's "private" it is still part of the Bahamas, and their health rules apply. So the authorities said no beach and sand.

I'm about to email my TA with the official notice to get us canceled. The good news is that NCL (our cruise line) extended their policy of giving full credit for everything we paid (all but the incidentals by now). We just have to cruise by Dec 31.

So, no fun ocean view and writing from the sunny and warm aft cafe in wintry January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back