Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks!
We've come into +13F temps from a morning low of -6F, so I believe I'll take the dog into the snowy forest. Give her some exercise after that -30's spell.
I'm always very amused at the photographs the media pulls out of the hat to show how cold it is:
ColdDay.jpg

They just gotta make it look as bad as they can. It only hit the -40's due to the wind chill; ambient temps never got much colder than -30.

Anyway, since it was too cold for me, I did some work on the depot.
All the walls for the first block are shaped, and window/door frame are fit:
3rdClass_01-01-2022.JPG

The figure 'Clarence' is going to be in charge of the depot, so he's watching the construction goings-on. He's notes one mistake. The rear wall window is on the wrong side, which is going to affect the location of the kitchen addition. It's still going to work out, though.
Three more blocks to go, and I can start putting things in order. I'm not sure if I'm going to stucco first, or put all the blocks together, and then stucco. Some thought must be put into the project.

Suppose I'll take the dog now. Then I have to clean-up the house before the wife gets back from work. I'm gonna try to train the dog to vacuum.

Have a good one!

Hi Folks
Well, welcome to 2022 lets hope this year gets a little better shall we.

Today was pretty much a wasted day, decided to finally try out my collection of HO loco's, freight and passenger cars. I need not have bothered, Loco's run fine except the SD 60, that has to run about 20 mins hood first before I can get it to run cab first, otherwise it derails in opposite corners ????
None of my cars will run behind any loco, bloody KD's are different heights and barely touch, after several hours of fecklin' and getting peed off, I decided to try the few offset KD coupler's that I have, tried them, but the height difference was still bad and uncoupled every chance they got, thought about the new Walther 33" wheelsets I bought, nope, made it even worse.
The coupling's on the cars are also shot, and wont stay coupled up, some is my fault as there are a 1% gradient, but they should cope with that.
I can't lower the couplings on the Loco's unless I want to chop chunks out of the front and rear counters.

So I'm down to plan D or F, whichever it is:
remove couplers from trucks and fit to body frame.
get more offset KD's
and/or
get bigger wheelsets.

Plan G
Flog the lot and go back to OO scale.

😊

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Helped out the wife in the kitchen today, We made schnitzel, bread, baked spaghetti, and pineapple upside down cake. We made up containers for a family friend and daughter's family and dropped them off. Daughter took the family to get tested. Her husband and oldest son (16) both tested positive for Covid but are asymptomatic. They get retested on Tuesday. On the other hand youngest grandson has been feeling sick with GI type symptoms but tested negative. The entire family is immunized.

I called my buddy Jon about my issues on the layout. I'm picking him up Friday morning to do trouble shooting. Unfortunately he's unavailable untill then. He builds layouts for others and is very knowledgable about electricty and DCC electronics.

Smudge- I feel your pain. Been there.

Hughie- Nice job on the retention berm. Much nicer than what I did on the last layout.

Willie- Nice job on the weathering.

Ken (IL)- I have a Spectrum 4-4-0 and the issue I sometime have is the sound decoder overheating because of the tiny tender. I drilled holes in the coal load which has helped. Mine tracks well. Have you gauged the track and wheels?

Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Lee- Good to see you posting again also. Great looking rail cars.

Guy- Nice start to the build.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Helped out the wife in the kitchen today, We made schnitzel, bread, baked spaghetti, and pineapple upside down cake. We made up containers for a family friend and daughter's family and dropped them off. Daughter took the family to get tested. Her husband and oldest son (16) both tested positive for Covid but are asymptomatic. They get retested on Tuesday. On the other hand youngest grandson has been feeling sick with GI type symptoms but tested negative. The entire family is immunized.

I called my buddy Jon about my issues on the layout. I'm picking him up Friday morning to do trouble shooting. Unfortunately he's unavailable untill then. He builds layouts for others and is very knowledgable about electricty and DCC electronics.

Smudge- I feel your pain. Been there.

Hughie- Nice job on the retention berm. Much nicer than what I did on the last layout.

Willie- Nice job on the weathering.

Ken (IL)- I have a Spectrum 4-4-0 and the issue I sometime have is the sound decoder overheating because of the tiny tender. I drilled holes in the coal load which has helped. Mine tracks well. Have you gauged the track and wheels?

Dave- Good to see you posting again.

Lee- Good to see you posting again also. Great looking rail cars.

Guy- Nice start to the build.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Sorry Curt for the short Absence I just got busy with the Holidays. Glad you like the O scale pics going to focus more on the O scale layout this year.

Afternoon ya'll. Yes, I grew up in New York, but I lived there 17 years, while I have lived in Texas 58 years. Waiting here for the "blue norther" that passed by SFW estate to arrive here. Supposed to come during the night.

Thank you for the likes on the berm/firewall around the little tank farm. I worked in a refinery many years ago, and we had an enormous tank farm with berms around the tanks. They had contractor with teams of mules to mow the grass on the berms so there would be no heat source or spark to set off any vapors. The mules pulled mowing reels, akin to the ones we pushed as kids only bigger.

I started "Wicked Wanda's this afternoon. It is another Bar Mills structure. It is an interesting build. It is modeled after a diner called, you guessed it, Wanda's. So now they sell it as "Wicked Wanda's". I'm forced to consider a house of ill repute. Or do I just go with a quaint eatery? I guess we'll find out once it it completed and ready to plant.

1641076250391.jpeg

STAY SAFE (Hoping this is the last year I sign off like this)
LATER

He seems to leave every couple of weeks, then signs back up again with the same user name.
It takes all kinds, I guess...
I think that this is his fourth or fifth go-around in the last three months, the first two under a different name!
There’s no Mean people here been here for years haven’t seen or heard of one yet.
While I wouldn't call out anyone for being intentionally mean, we've had a few who were "forum-challenged", and posted less than civil responses. However they usually don't last long. If we're discussing what may be a contentious subject (ie DC vs DCC), most folks here stop and reread their responses before hitting "Post Reply".

I started "Wicked Wanda's this afternoon. It is another Bar Mills structure. It is an interesting build. It is modeled after a diner called, you guessed it, Wanda's. So now they sell it as "Wicked Wanda's". I'm forced to consider a house of ill repute. Or do I just go with a quaint eatery? I guess we'll find out once it it completed and ready to plant.
I did a structure build thread on this kit about five and a half years ago, that you might be interested in.
Structure build Bar Mills Wicked Wanda's
I used mine as a rooming house which I have posted pictures of.

I think that this is his fourth or fifth go-around in the last three months, the first two under a different name!

While I wouldn't call out anyone for being intentionally mean, we've had a few who were "forum-challenged", and posted less than civil responses. However they usually don't last long. If we're discussing what may be a contentious subject (ie DC vs DCC), most folks here stop and reread their responses before hitting "Post Reply".
Willie I’m sure Troy was kidding but you hit the nail on the head “Forum Challenged”

Jaz avalley - Curious! Why does a figure in you're post have a horses head and there's a coffin in the scene? Is that some kind of weird satanic ritual from British New Years you are modelling? - I'm actually scared to ask, but curiosity gets the best of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back