Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Today was my "Get a few Loco issues sorted day" Unfortunately nope, not really gonna happen.

Job 1) Search Internet for the missing parts I need for the C-424, 3hrs later, success, found one guy in the UK who has most of the bits I need, and sourced a complete Bodyshell with everything I need in the US from So-much-stuff (big thank you to who ever told me).:)

Job2) Try getting the paint off the C424, IPA was lifting the un-varnished paint, but not the parts that had been, went on a few forums, found I need Caustic Soda, off to the shops, 2hrs later home, with NO soda, no one has any, OK (then saw a post about DOT4, ffs):(

job 3) Fit a lighting board to the C-424 (not fitting sound, and I have spare decoders). Hour later all done, perfect, sort of, fitted the board arse about face, go forward rear headlight comes on and vice versa, take it off, turn it round, re solder, job done, success at last.:)

Job 4) The new metal wheelsets have arrived for the Harriman coaches, take half the old wheelsets off 2 of the 4 coaches, and fit the new ones, nope, not gonna happen, new wheelsets, axels too short, (lot of swearing) fit the old ones back, order new Kadee wheelsets.:mad:

Job 5) replace the lights on my GP30 and get it running, (rear headlight not working, followed instructions to remove body, very stiff on one end) came away eventually, along with most of the front end, previous owner had glued the body on, reason not working not sure but previous owner had made a pigs ear of wiring it to DCC, using those little square DCC socket adapters and the wiring looked like a bowl of spaghetti, order new decoder board.(lot more swearing):mad::mad:

Job 6) Change the LED lighting on the SD7 to bi-colour, no problem, wire it all in, works perfectly, but very dim??? Put the wrong LED's in, these are diffused, not clear, hour later rummaging in my 'leccy box, no, have to order new ones now. 😝

I'm going to bed now, G'nite

Afternoon All,

The annual HOA meeting ran long this morning...no drama, but long. Daughter cancelled on MOH today, so I volunteered to accompany her on her shopping trip. I did put the weed clusters in the second section so that's done and the track in the third section is complete. I hope to finish the third section ground cover tomorrow. I'm not putting any buildings down until I give all the track a really good cleaning. Tomorrow MOH is having her annual Christmas cookie bake with friends and family. I only show up to eat them! It usually happens earlier in December but there was scheduling problems.

Chad- I think we have a higher opinion of ourselves than we should. I hate to say it, but I think we've been in decline for years.

Guy- Great photo.

Willie- Nice progress on the layout.

Willie/Joe- I also hold that title.

Terry- I must be old. I have done that many times.

Joe- Nice E8 photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have an extremely high opinion of my beloved country! USA! USA! USA!

Where it came from or what we call it. We don't care. Does it make profit? That's American!

Pizza - Italian, Hotdogs - Frankfurt or Vienna. On and on, All American! Chinese food, nothing Chinese about our Chinese food, American!

New Coke, sure it tasted better, but we want the original! Does it get more American than that?

Haagen-Daz ice cream, founded in the Bronx by Rueben and Rose Mattus. That's how we do it and make profit!

Is America perfect, not even close, but you can't prove to me there is better! USA! USA! USA! We are still working to make a more perfect union.

Belgian fries? So what we can't read a map, we really don't care! Call them whatever you want, McDonald's fries are the best!

The lady who raised me, told me once "I don't need to know geography, I know where Times Square is!" Spoken like the true New Yorker she was.

We may not be at our best in recent years, democracy can be ugly. Bet your bottom dollar we will do better and make a profit doing it!

USA! USA! USA!

Well it started snowing today a 11AM and it has not stopped yet as it is now 6:15 PM and we now have 6 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down! I shoveled the driveway 2xs now. I needed the exercise. It's not to cold 35 degrees. I am burning wood today in the fireplace as tomorrow it will go down to 7 degrees. So I will keep the house cozy.

Mailman came today as I got another box of cars. 3 of them..... Thrall 56' All-Door Box Cars made by Walthers. I thank those of you who helped me identify them last month as I was looking for a representation of these types of cars. I got lucky with these 3 as I got all of them including shipping for 40 bucks and well they did not come in their original boxes unfortunately but no damage! All 3 models were intact. It turns out these are out of production and have been for a while. Very nice cars and detail for the money! I will post them on the RPO thread! Again thanks for ya'll help! I hope to get 3 or 4 more of these cars but they are running 45 bucks new so it will take a while for me to find another good deal. Patience is the game!

Well I will make that post on the RPO then I am gonna throw a pizza in the oven and prepare to watch a movie tonight. Then I will spend some time in the train room later. Looking forward to being off after Wednesday until the new year! Train time for me. Hope to get some decent progress done. I am not sure when my ME Ladder switches will arrive. I hope to get them early this week. We shall see.

Ya'll have a good evenin'

Got up at 6 this morning and have been busy all day. 5 1/2hours of sleep. Still not enough but better then what I was getting. Mostly today‘s plan was to stay out of Terry’s day of baking. Seems yesterday she felt I hung out to long with her in the kitchen while she baked. Baking is done for the day but now she is making 9#s of spaghetti sauce.

Did a walk in 28f degrees but the wind chill felt like 21, either are cold. Hit the local hardware for 2 bolts worth $.86 total. I spent more because I can always find something in the store for the layout.

6E6191CA-E2E0-4487-BBD5-2A7B26CB189F.jpeg
207371FA-BA74-47D1-BE91-1EBAB631117F.jpeg
74A9C514-568C-40DF-89AC-6849763A4B2E.jpeg

The above 6 Little People HO scale will be under going surgery this evening. During the NCAA National Women’s Volleyball Championship as #4 Wisconsin plays #3 Nebraska. After surgery of the limbs and a quick healing process the LP will get cleaned and then primed for new clothes with safety vests.

I started this afternoon weathering with Arcylic paint the pictured signs below. I should be able to plant them on the layout tomorrow.
115022B2-3F34-4774-957A-0016A07EF261.jpeg

I started to finish the derails and after I figure out which siding/spur needs one I will glue them down. I will weather them once they are on the layout.
CEAA4610-73A5-4D5B-9546-BF6D8A534D23.jpeg

I will not be stripping and re-painting the newest locomotive on the layout. I have decided to “patch it” and then dirty it up. This will be patched to my freelance RR name. WRVT, the Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal RR. I will keep the numbers as is because the number boards are supposed to be lit.
F79345B3-99F7-45DB-9FFF-1879B7C3B68D.jpeg
D1CE9568-E34D-4319-9950-F52440339C1F.jpeg

Enjoy your day
TomO

Evening all,

No trains as wife was home early yesterday so we did some cleaning that needed doing for next weekend and that continued into today. I did go with the boy to get him a new phone as his was charging when there was a power blip and his phone died. It was 80% charged and then dead. He's on my plan and pays his part, so he needed me as he's not a signatory on the account.

Thanks all for the regards that the city will miss me when I retire. I know I am not irreplaceable, but it will take them a while to catch on to what I've done. Of course, I built the network from scratch.

Hopefully tomorrow isn't a cleaning day. 🙃

Yep, used their contact page, gave them what I needed, part no's etc, got a acknowledgement of the e mail, saying it had been passed to their spares dept, so waiting, but I like to keep my options open, what I could see on their website was lots of Kato, but N Gauge.
Before I forget, I may need to ask your assistance on the bodyshell, I think I have a repaint of a repaint, and would like to try and get it off, when I find out the type of paint used.

Soak that shell in 95-99% Isopropyl alcohol 24-48 hours. Works like a charm, even on hard to clean Kato paint. Some scrubbing may be required. Personally, I love this guys method. It takes a little guts to get a power tool involved, but I've got some naked SD40-2s to prove it works!

TomO- A few years ago, I saw a short line had a patch paint job and painted over two numbers, so your engine could be number 58.
Mikey

Thanks for the help. I May go with 2 digits as I am going to change the LEDs in this thing, they are very yellow. I just finished watching the Wisconsin Women Volleyball win their 1st NCAA championship and I am drained. I will head to the train room in a about 30 minutes my wife and I both should be calmed down by then

TomO

Mikey

Thanks for the help. I May go with 2 digits as I am going to change the LEDs in this thing, they are very yellow. I just finished watching the Wisconsin Women Volleyball win their 1st NCAA championship and I am drained. I will head to the train room in a about 30 minutes my wife and I both should be calmed down by then

TomO
or 67......or 75...... 😁

I never realised,I thought the us and uk were mostly aligned imperially.

We are except for the definition of pint, as I understand it. The US fluid pint is 16 fluid ounces. The UK one is 20 fluid ounces. So 8 pints to the Gallon gives 128 fluid ounces in the US and 160 fluid ounces in the UK. There may be other minor differences.

The US units are based on those English units from the time when the US were colonies and that whole story... The UK adopted the "imperial system" in 1824 with the "Weights and Measures Act 1824" and since the US was by then independent, was not affected by the changes in that act.

(No I don't have the details memorized except the pint being 20 fluid ounces, which affects the quart and gallon)

Last edited:
Good morning y'all.

It appears I will never catch up, so we're just gonna do the next best thing a keep a-rollin'.

Flo- Coffee, bacon, and buttered toast with strawberry jam please. Because no day can truly begin until the coffee and bacon are consumed.

Let's start with the weather. It's supposed to be high 60s to low 70s all weekend, but there is a 50% chance of rain today and a 60% tomorrow. Normally this would be a downer, but the detail parts for the service station arrived yesterday and I should have the first 2 new buildings today. So, it may work out for good. And after the last 3 weeks, I'll take some down time, This week wrapped up a 126 hour pay period which included a two week run of being out of town and a hard push this week to get ahead for the 4 day week next week.

That being said, there has been no modeling progress this week as most evenings have ended with me falling asleep in my recliner after dinner and a little time with the family.

I'm going to try to catch up on posts.
When there’s a lot I go in reverse order look at latest then go backwards at least then you catch up to the current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back