Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
George I just placed my order of switches today! Amazingly they had all but one switch I needed! I needed 5e left hand but I will find it somewhere.
You sure it's not a right-hand switch. I see the right hand listed as the last ladder in 2 places. Your talking code 83 right? The guy I bought some track from Big Discount Trains has a ME code 83 5e right-hand last ladder listed but it's $15.00 more than Hiawatha Hobbies. I just became a big fan of Hiawatha Hobbies.
George

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who will never go near Willie's cursed corner of Texas at night, alone.... ;)

It's Troy again.

Update: I like that podcast I mentioned a few posts up (it's about poly-tics so nuff said).

Last night I had to do the first of many upcoming runs to Lowes. Seems the spousal unit wants a new rest-of-bathroom to match her new shower. And the big-box-home-improvement store finally delivered all the pieces.

So I get to remove this:

View attachment 136912

Since the underside is open except for a small set of drawers under the screwdriver, I thought getting the bog roll holder off the cabinet might be the tough part. Easy access to everything. Easy peasy!

I was wrong. Very wrong.

That countertop is at least 30 years old. Expanding and contracting with the humidity and each shower.... Eventually, it has fused its essence with the screws.

Since I want to keep drywall work to a minimum, the sledgehammer and crowbar are still in the last resort phase.

I have an oscillating tool! Yes!

But only blades for wood...

Went to Lowes and bought a three-pack of Wood and Nail blades...

Should have got the carbide tipped or whatever... 15 minutes later I had one screw cut... Another 20 min and the second one finally broke. After 20 min on the third screw, I gave up. I probably killed any edge on the blade. At this rate, I'll use all three blades, and still have a screw left to go...

So, back to the store this morning I go.

But coffee first.
That's a labour ìntensive way, have you tried drilling the head, and once the heads off remove the shelf now you have more room, either use a mole grip (no idea what you guys call them) to unscrew the remainder or carry on drilling till the screw is flush with the drywall, filler, paint,done

Well today is my last day at work, till 4th Jan 2022 anyway. I have 7 more hours to go and can crack on with a few railroad projects that I want to get done. The Kato C-424 arrived last night very excited, and then not so much. Good news, motor, drivetrain etc. works, bad news, wierd repaint, that I'll have to remove and I've never had a model with soooo many missing pieces, not including the guard rail, (that's 6 pieces,but I'll call that 1) I need to source another 12 parts, 15 if I have to get a new bodyshell because of the repaint, I'll post some foto's later and you'll see what I mean. It's my fault I know for buying from an auction site, and I knew it was "spares or repair". I wasn't expecting to do a rebuild.
Having said that, I am in need of the forums considerable knowledge. I will rebuild/repair this C-424, but I'm buggered if I can't find the parts I need, Gaugemaster in the UK. are now the only stockists of Kato, but it's N scale, Kato USA won't send anything to the UK, that tax thing again. Kato japan, I'm not a company. So can anyone suggest or know of, a Kato stockist in the US who basically stock everything Kato, coz I need windows, number boards,couplings (I can give you a list, if you want). I really don't want to get one piece here, one piece there, it would be easier (and cheaper) to buy a brand new one if I do that. Does anyone know of somewhere?

That's a labour ìntensive way, have you tried drilling the head, and once the heads off remove the shelf now you have more room, either use a mole grip (no idea what you guys call them) to unscrew the remainder or carry on drilling till the screw is flush with the drywall, filler, paint,done
Fortunately, I realised the last two supports were little angled crosspieces in the corners. Crowbar broke those off around the screws.

I believe a Mole Grip® is a Vise Grip® brand over on this side of the pond.

though it's also spelled vice grip to avoid the trademark

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 6.28.59 AM.png

Here's the latest shot of the bathroom:

removed the small medicine cabinet. Of course I mounted the new piece of sheetrock with one corner low. So now I've got some additional mudding to level that part out.

Previous "designer" had an outlet under the sink, and on a timer for the curling irons and such. I moved that up above counter level, and patched the old hole with a sticky patch. Hint: cut away the paper and paint layer around the hole you're patching, to just outside of where the patch will fit. Keeps the mud hump fairly low.

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 6.33.36 AM.png

Oh, and the wife reminded me that the new medicine cabinet/mirror combo has a light... grrrrr....

The best way to wire it is to take the hideous boxed in fluorescent light fixture out, go into the attic, and run all new lights.

That ain't happening this week. We just re-insulated the attic and I can't see the ceiling joists any longer. Maybe winter of 22/23. Not this year.

So, I have one more wiring project pulling wire off the old light.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I realised the last two supports were little angled crosspieces in the corners. Crowbar broke those off around the screws.

I believe a Mole Grip® is a Vise Grip® brand over on this side of the pond.

though it's also spelled vice grip to avoid the trademark

View attachment 137045

Here's the latest shot of the bathroom:

removed the small medicine cabinet. Of course I mounted the new piece of sheetrock with one corner low. So now I've got some additional mudding to level that part out.

Previous "designer" had an outlet under the sink, and on a timer for the curling irons and such. I moved that up above counter level, and patched the old hole with a sticky patch. Hint: cut away the paper and paint layer around the hole you're patching, to just outside of where the patch will fit. Keeps the mud hump fairly low.

View attachment 137046
Yep, thats the one, bathrooms it's looking good too.

Morning all,

Updated the firewalls this morning and had to go to the one of the 2 fire stations and reset the station alarm as when we have an internet outage (caused by any number of things), they don't get the alarms that turn on the lights and ring that they need to respond to an incident. All fixed at this time! Now to figure out what is going on a a wayward police car laptop that doesn't like to connect as it should. The "I Know Everything" kid has given up because it's a firewall issue with the firewalls, but it is the only computer that doesn't work right. I'm pretty sure there's a problem with the cell system in the machine (there are errors in the event log), but when you don't know what is going on, pass it to the man who's been doing this longer than you've been alive. Last thing he passed to me, he worked on for 3 hours and took me 10 minutes to fix. Talking with the new Tech, she asked what he really knew and that he acts as if he's the man that has all the answers. Thankfully she sees through him as most of the folks around the city do.

On the changes from Diet to Sugar Free, Coke Zero is Coke made without "sugar" (be it corn syrup or otherwise), Diet Coke is the recipe of the failed New Coke recipe from the attempted coke change in the 80's. Unfortunately I have the Diet Coke habit. I do prefer it to Coke zero, and regular Coke to Coke Zero.

I think I can get some decent train time this afternoon. At least I can if I don't take a nap...

BBL

Last edited:
Well today is my last day at work, till 4th Jan 2022 anyway. I have 7 more hours to go and can crack on with a few railroad projects that I want to get done. The Kato C-424 arrived last night very excited, and then not so much. Good news, motor, drivetrain etc. works, bad news, wierd repaint, that I'll have to remove and I've never had a model with soooo many missing pieces, not including the guard rail, (that's 6 pieces,but I'll call that 1) I need to source another 12 parts, 15 if I have to get a new bodyshell because of the repaint, I'll post some foto's later and you'll see what I mean. It's my fault I know for buying from an auction site, and I knew it was "spares or repair". I wasn't expecting to do a rebuild.
Having said that, I am in need of the forums considerable knowledge. I will rebuild/repair this C-424, but I'm buggered if I can't find the parts I need, Gaugemaster in the UK. are now the only stockists of Kato, but it's N scale, Kato USA won't send anything to the UK, that tax thing again. Kato japan, I'm not a company. So can anyone suggest or know of, a Kato stockist in the US who basically stock everything Kato, coz I need windows, number boards,couplings (I can give you a list, if you want). I really don't want to get one piece here, one piece there, it would be easier (and cheaper) to buy a brand new one if I do that. Does anyone know of somewhere?
There’s a Feebay seller that goes by the name so much stuff, or close to it, that has many, if not all the parts you need.

Hiawatha Hobbies, Greg and me are definite supporters and now we have at least 2 new users. I love online shopping, the ease of ordering but walking into Hiawatha is different. It is 70 miles from home and a few blocks off II94 in Peewaukee, Wisconsin. I have been known with Terry to just go for a drive after eating breakfast or lunch out and drive there.

Online shopping has become a necessary FIL for many modelers. Not in order but these are my 12/2021 favorites.

HIAWATHAHOBBIES.com, great search engine for online and the good old brick and mortar feeling if you are a walk in, great inventory. Pricing can be stunningly excellent dropping down to better then good. They have a clearance shelf but you pretty much have to ask to see it In store. Not the best organized store

MIDWESTMODELRR.COM, stunningly large store in Independence Missouri just outside of KC. Online line search engine was great but something changed in the last few weeks. Pricing IS good to excellent depending on specials or sales. The multi time delivery of daily emails is annoying to me. A must stop if you are in the KC area. Because the store is also their online warehouse there is no pricing on the product but very well organized

WALTHERS.COM, if you are heading to Hiawatha this is another must see but check the showroom open times. Excellent clearance section, very nice layout that is used in there commercials and videos. Of course an excellent inventory. Super if you get the sometimes excellent sale pricing. I know Greg used to hit up the showroom.

LOMBARDHOBBY.COM, another large store, feels almost new it is so organized and clean. When they tell you where the product is, that is actually where you find it.

SCALE MODEL SUPPLIES in St. Paul. If they have an online presence I have not been able to find it. This is a walk in shop. Big, big, good prices, lots of NOS, tough neighbor hood but they have a parking lot next to the store.

That’s my main list and it does change often because I go through bouts of online retail therapy.

Enjy the day
Tom

Thanks for the recommends!

Hiawatha Hobbies - - 4h 46m drive :( - - - but I will check the online store.

Midwest - have looked at them but never bought, usually go to Yankee Dabbler or Model Train Stuff. I've bought from Western Depot, too.

Scale Model Supplies - - you are spot on, GREAT STORE. Excellent selection of paints and rolling stock which includes lots and lots of items no longer in production. I got a wonderful gondola Proto1000 for $10. Great car! They do have a web site but not for ordering, and doesn't say much.

Don't know Lombard

CHeers to all!

Morning from here where it is 46F this day and supposed to reach a high of 60F under mostly sunny skies.

The Spousal Unit's Christmas present came to the door yesterday afternoon. She finally managed to drag out of me that it was for her, but I gave no hint and did not let her see where I hid it. I am determined NOT to give it to her early as I usually wind up caving in!

Thanks for the recommends!

Hiawatha Hobbies - - 4h 46m drive :( - - - but I will check the online store.

Midwest - have looked at them but never bought, usually go to Yankee Dabbler or Model Train Stuff. I've bought from Western Depot, too.

Scale Model Supplies - - you are spot on, GREAT STORE. Excellent selection of paints and rolling stock which includes lots and lots of items no longer in production. I got a wonderful gondola Proto1000 for $10. Great car! They do have a web site but not for ordering, and doesn't say much.

Don't know Lombard

CHeers to all!
Steve

I have purchased from YankeeDabbler but only at Trainfest in Milwaukee when they bring more stuff to a show then many hobby shops have in brick and mortar stores. I find the online pricing overall to be higher then the same things at Hiawatha, MidwestModelRR and Lombard. Please remember (memo to my wife to) I am retired and have a purchasing management customer service background. Being retired and the fact I enjoy comparing prices USUALLY finds me the best pricing when shipping and taxes is add3d in.

Model Train Stuff lost me as a customer online a few years ago as when seemingly at the same time they really cancelled the brick and mortar portion of their business, prices went up and the inventory numbers online were off.

TomO

It may be worth checking eBay for second hand as you are up against the wall, or if there is a sellers area in the railway forums you use ask if people have the stuff to u need or part thereof.

Morning from here where it is 46F this day and supposed to reach a high of 60F under mostly sunny skies.

The Spousal Unit's Christmas present came to the door yesterday afternoon. She finally managed to drag out of me that it was for her, but I gave no hint and did not let her see where I hid it. I am determined NOT to give it to her early as I usually wind up caving in!
Stand your ground she is just spoiling it,you need sone little chocolate treats to fend her off lol. The other half and I have been on a diet for 9 months,very successfully I might add,but he comes through some times with a licorice,a jelly and a lemon sherbet on the odd occasion in the evening and it brightens your day to cheat on the calories but even that little bit,so don’t let her at the main pressie but a little something to sweeten the wait might keep her happy and help your resolve,

a ‘voucher’ for a lip stick or nail varnish or a bath bomb,nothing expensive but a treat might stop her nagging you,I can wait my other half has no patience and normally buys sonething big that he attributes to Xmas,he has tried suckering me to accept things I need for things I want that rarely works,he knows better than to offer me a iron,vacuum cleaner, or kitchen item,he can’t run fast enough…..lol not that it would natter he outstrips me by 7in in height and is gal as much as my weight and most of it is muscl, not certain how fast he can duck though chuckles…..actually he is really lucky my mother,her mother and the great grandmother were all known for throwing stuff the eldest apparently once lobbed an iron frying lab! As for me I am too tight to throw something and break it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back