Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
double-doubles, animal style...

4x4, animal style. protein style, with every onion on the register... No fries, medium drink.

That is my order, and I am sticking with it. In fact, I'll have to plan my monthly sneak-away to go get one (I have an "offer" on my Amex card through the end of the year for a monthly $5 kickback on any restaurant charge of $5 or more...)

At 10:50 this morning, the Court notified me that they would not need me today, and sent instructions for the balance of the week. So...I will be governed accordingly. :rolleyes:. The morning was probably more stressful, than it could have been.

Last night, after dinner, I spent some quality time in the train room, working on my model of the PRR Overbrook, (and other locations), interlocking tower. My version, will be designated SC and control the entrance and exit from "South Chester Passenger Terminal". Speaking of the terminal, my design changed again. I'm convinced, my original idea won't work, so...back to the drawing board. Concept remains a through bypass track that connects with staging, and three single ended tracks with two station platforms, on an elevated build up. Talk is cheap, so once I have something to show, I'll upload photos.

I contributed to SS for 48 years, but many of those years I didn't expect it to be there when I retired, because I didn't believe that the government could take care of it. So I saved in retirement accounts starting around 1981 just to be sure I could take care of myself. To me it's not "public source" income until I get back all that I put in.
Willie: not for nothing, I felt the same way, especially, in the '80s, when Railroad Retirement was running a net annual deficit. Keep in mind that not only does RR tax at the same rate as SS, but also taxes for what is loosely termed a pension benefit, but taxed as an annuity. So I was paying more per pay, which meant less for additional savings. We were eventually offered a, (non contributory), 401(k) plan somewhere around 1990. Of course, the other shoe was that I retired in 2008... Irrespective that the Government considers Railroad Retirement to be an "entitlement", it's really an annuity. RR has been "privatized" since the early 2000s, meaning it doesn't sit in the general fund, interest free until it is paid out.
Likewise, I'm curious as to the outlook for the mid term elections.

The brewery building looks great. The expansion possibilities are what I like about DPM models.

This past weekend was not good, if you are a Villanova Fan, or a fan of the NJ Devils, NY Knicks, NY Giants or NY Jets. On the bright side, we are mostly finished with Christmas shopping, and everything is either shipped or ready to take to my son's house for Christmas.

Derailment Berry Tracks 3-12-1974 - Bulletin -  Temple U..png

March 1974, on the Penn Central, Zoo Interlocking, West Philadelphia. Photo from the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin, courtesy Temple University. While I am not in this photo, I worked with the three gentlemen in the photo. The tank car on its side is loaded with Vinyl Chloride.

More on RR plans:

My RR Spirit Animal, Steve Brown, just tore out his existing double deck and posted a video about what he went to.

(Steve is my spirit animal up to, but not including the beer fridge. I'm more of tiki bar type of fellow. Hello Mai Tais!!!!)

His latest vid has tons of stuff to get me thinking...

Here's the link - 19 minutes

Afternoon All,

Started out with a couple of chores then spent almost 5 hours in the train room. Today I finished ballasting the new sidings then finished up doing about a third of the remaining ground cover (except vegetation). I figure that there will be 3 sections total for track ballasting and ground cover in the engine area. I decided to move the large water tank (Tichy) and the pumping station (MMW) by the terminal office because with the new sidings there isn't the required space where I was planning on putting them.

Talked to Phil today he's doing well and he's getting his second eye done tomorrow for cataracts. He also says he has lost his interest in his trains😢.

I was thinking last night about Garry and the others that have passed and that I miss their postings.

Thank you for the likes on my photo yesterday.

Mikey- Thank you for your comments. The dirt was me being sloppy (now fixed). I had earlier added dirt ground cover on that end, and I must have got some on the roof.

Tom- Nice painting job.

TomO- Interesting foil hat picture. Was that a princess hat?

Jaz- I like it. The rims seem a little shiny but that can be because of the angle or lighting.

Troy- I'm almost positive you will need more than 13 foot to have a vertical rise of 16 inches. I have a 2% grade and the run up is 16 feet long for 4 inches height. If I misunderstood your posting I apologize.

Willie- Nice looking brewery.

Terry- That's pretty accurate. I remember one episode when he threatened to blow up a civilization and cause a war between 2 planets.

Joe- I look forward to seeing your new plan.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Patrick, I hope you are feeling better. You are a good man to "play through the pain"

George Herbert Walker Bush, great man and a great president. He was the man responsible for our balanced budget, but another guy got all the credit. Some day people will realize policies take time to have an impact. I'm proud to have voted for him!
In 2016 a poll was taken the day before the election. The only question, "how is the economy doing?" the most popular answer "bad"
The day after the election the same question was asked. The most popular answer "good". A perfect example of why Winston Churchill said "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"

That is as close to political as I am going to get. I have already said too much.
Have a great day Everybody!

Thanks Louis!

Somebody has to put on the big boy pants. might as well be the guy who basically knows what's going on and can fix relatively quickly. While I haven't really eaten anything today, I'm not hungry. Just really tired. Hopefully some sleep will take care of that.

I did make it through the remainder of my day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 39°, headed up to 70° today. I won't bother with the extended forecast since it changed so much overnight and most likely will change some more. The NWS is really using their dartboard this morning.
We went to Dallas yesterday afternoon to celebrate my granddaughter's 7th birthday which is today. We went to her favorite Mexican restaurant (really my daughter's favorite) for a delicious dinner. Our grandsons and our other daughter's family joined us as well. As usual, Grandma made Grandpa pick up the tab for the whole table even though all four of the other adults individually make more money than Grandpa ever made while working!

Thanks a bunch for the comments and likes regarding my progress on the bakery project; Steve J, Jesse, Rick, Karl, Guy, Christian, James, Sherrel, Hughie, Jaz, Tom H, Tom O, Gary, Louis, Curt, Tom, Chad, Jerry.

Just a plate of bacon and an OJ this morning Flo. I'm still stuffed from last night.

I did nothing out in the train shed yesterday due to the road trip to Dallas. That means a trip back to the archives.
Next door to the Magic Pan Bakery, is the Whitewater Brewing Co. It's one of those DPM Gold Series kits that came out some years back. It didn't look like it would be large enough to meet my needs, so I added a dozen or so extra DPM wall panels to make it bigger. It has double the footprint and has an additional floor from the original kit.
Excuse the clutter on the left as these first shots are from 2015 before I straightened that area up recently. Same with the people laying dead on the right.
View attachment 136843
View attachment 136844
View attachment 136845
You can see it's proximity to the bakery, and I will move over there when I finish the bakery project, since I have all of my materials close by.

Jesse - N scale furniture doesn't have to be quite as detailed as larger scales. In many cases, painted scraps of wood or simple cardboard cutouts can be made to represent many things quite adequately.
Steve J -

And that's just the Coffee Shop! Seriously though, we have had an influx of members in the last three years that in my opinion has been beneficial to the entire forum. All of the new members seem to be just plain nice folks.
Joe - I contributed to SS for 48 years, but many of those years I didn't expect it to be there when I retired, because I didn't believe that the government could take care of it. So I saved in retirement accounts starting around 1981 just to be sure I could take care of myself. To me it's not "public source" income until I get back all that I put in.
Regarding the rest of your post, I am looking forward to the elections of 2022 to see which way the American people really think now.
Tom H -

Not to worry, that's all that I have. I was just curious as I know that you built a dedicated train shed (as I did) of 1500 sq ft. Mine is smaller though.
Tom O - I may have posted before that I like your egg carton project holders.
Jerry - That's interesting regarding the brake wheels on those Accurail kits. Were they bought new or used?

Today is the US National Guard birthday. That's one to celebrate. Others who share today as their birthday are my granddaughter and Taylor Swift.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.
Last picture opposite the trading post is a unusual red roof with yellow ..is it a Chinese restaurant

Thanks Louis!

Somebody has to put on the big boy pants. might as well be the guy who basically knows what's going on and can fix relatively quickly. While I haven't really eaten anything today, I'm not hungry. Just really tired. Hopefully some sleep will take care of that.

I did make it through the remainder of my day.
You may be tired because you not hungry,or not hungry because tired,I would eat a snack and take a drink and see if your energy level lifts….chocolate cookie and milk would be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back