Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all! Still around, but been busy with family things and wrapping up the outside for the winter. Put up the storm windows yesterday and tied down the tarp covering the table/chairs of the deck. Walked down the garden hoses and put the one I am saving away. The other I cut a section to use downstairs with the deep sink in the laundry/utility/workbench space. Took the dogs for a long walk. Took a nap.

Picking up the daughter and BF at the airport, so decided to make a quasi-date night of it and went to a fav pizza place not too far from the airport. Was fun and great pizza. Got them retrieved and back to home. Now up and getting ready for the day. Baptism! - - No doubt my favorite thing to do as pastor! A 2-1/2 year old little girl - -will be great fun. But then a long Sunday nap will be in order.

Daughters and respective BFs coming over to finish the last of the TG leftovers which Always gets made into Turkey and Dumplings. Super simple but a family favorite. Oldest Daughter was too tired to tell us of plans. Oh, some exciting news for her. She is a lawyer and applied for a White House OMB position. It's been almost a year of preps and funding requests, but she got the offer! A few more hurdles to clear, but soon she will be back in DC and working with the administration. Yeah, I know, a good idea to work for this administration? But the answer, at least for her and many, is yes - - Washington DC is like Hollywood for lawyers. I will be sorry to see her go as she and I get along very well.

Train work? Maybe - seeking some help with that Atlas loco I bought not too long ago. I'll keep you posted. Also fair amount of little things to do. The beauty of a model RR, right? Never lack something to do?

Blessings to all - - time for peanut butter toast, my usual Sunday morning fare.

Steve J

Good morning, folks!
And a fine Sunday morning it is, at 29f. - I had to shovel once yesterday, as a very quick, freak storm passed through. It dropped 1/2" of snow. The weather guessers didn't say anything about that one, so I don't think they knew about it.

Thankyou for all the likes on what was one of my very first prototype photos. In the future, I will refrain from making posts unless I have photos of what I'm up to.
Yesterday, instead of working on the layout room reno, I completed the cataloging and saving of all my railway prototype photos. I put all the railway photos onto their very own flash drive, and secured them in a safe place. Then I deleted all off the computer, so I could regain the memory.
It's a habit of mine to make hard copies of select photos as well, because I like to keep the odd album. The album will be another day's work, though, and I have a couple of hundred photos to go in it.

The flash drive in the photo is holding 2033 of the prototype railway photos I've taken over the past 2 years. I believe that one day in the future, someone will want to get they're hands on that flash-drive.
RailPhotos_11-27-2021.JPG

I've done the same thing with all my airshow photos that I've taken over the years. I have lots of good aircraft photos. - In my life, aircraft and military equipment came before the interest in trains. - So, now I'm playing catch-up!

Well, I've had my coffee. Suppose I'll work on the layout room today, since I missed yesterday. Hopefully, I won't have to shovel. Although the risk of that today is greater than it was yesterday.

Have a good one!

kids arrived home here 6 pm after their 4700km journey from Orlando. (5 full 24 hr days) Now they are quarantined for 2 wks so guess I will depart for those 2 wks to a place I can go to, but alass there is no internet access, so I am signing off. A few of their highlights were:Chatanoga, St Louis, Nashville, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Sioux Falls & wherever else they had pit stops.

Vacuumed and organized the 2 bedrooms. Didn't think I had 260 rolls of tp, and 75 rolls of paper towels in my stockpile. Although the kids have been known to raid my stash. Also had 330 loads worth of Tide pods and a case of foam plates.
Got the toys that were stored in and around the trains moved to the granddaughters old bedroom. The rest I've been told will be moved after the first of the new year. I'm going to their new house next weekend to set up the security cameras. I'm all for rural internet, but they have fiber and I'm stuck with slow DSL. They are paying less for their fiber than i'm paying for my service. Cable is available, but their reliability and customer service soured me on them years ago. I live 15 miles from Wichita, so I'm too small and too big for better cheaper service.

Good Morning All. In this part of the world, it is clear and 45°, headed up to 65° before a week of highs in the mid-70's. It's the time of year where I let the fire in the wood burning heater go out most days and restart it at night. The totally unexpected rain yesterday afternoon left me with 1.25" in the rain gauge. It was mostly a slow drizzle over 12 hours. No runoff to speak of, it all soaked in. Unexpected because it didn't show up in the forecast until it had already started.
Daughter #2 came up and picked up the granddog yesterday before the rain started. While she will miss the wide open spaces around here, she also misses rolling around on the floor with my grandsons who play with her more than I do. Although she tried, she never caught any of the rabbits, vultures or squirrels that she chased. I truly believe that the vultures taunt her on purpose by flying/soaring 4' over the ground when she's outside.
Tomorrow is the rescheduled date for my wife's surgery to have her titanium replacement knee joint re-inserted after eight weeks of those plastic spacers in there. I have to have her at the hospital at 0700. It's supposed to be done as an outpatient surgery, so she will not have to spend the night.

Thanks to all who commented or liked the Drywell Inks structure yesterday; Joe, Rick, Karl, Guy, IB Ken, Dave, OB Ken, Christian, Hughie, Tom, Louis, Jaz, Curt, Patrick, Sherrel, Jesse.

Out in the train shed yesterday, i just did some very small projects that were on my to-do list. Some are perennially there like painting some more figures, but I studied several scenes that I had targeted and placed a few in each one.
First are a pair of joggers on a street. Location unknown as I haven't decided whether it will be in Charlottesville of the next town of Vernon. It's sorta in between. I may eventually just make it a new town with just four rail-served industries.
IMG_8356.JPG

Then I went over into Maultown to the Dew Duck N cafe and added several figures out front.
IMG_8354.JPG

IMG_8351.JPG

While there, I added another fellow in a sports car pulling in. He'll soon get the two young ladies attention.
IMG_8353.JPG

On the subject of cars, I added four to the bank parking lot.
IMG_8361.JPG

Note the ground cover added Friday.
Another figure was added to the back of the General store over in Jamestown, thus making two workers on break.
IMG_8350.JPG

Mikey - Excellent work on the truck bed. I didn't realize that it was O scale.
Louis -
A house in Silver Spring, MD (Washington DC suburb) had a small dead tree in the yard. It was bare of leaves, but they had hung a dozen or so shinny Christmas balls of various colors in the branches. No other decorations, but that sad little tree
Are you sure it wasn't intended to be a Festivus pole?
Jesse -
Willie- Are you talking about recycling things like old cellphone chargers and power supplies with built in transformers?
Exactly. I also use old power packs from 80's era Tyco and Bachmann train sets. Read the output carefully. Personally I would have a switch on both sides of the power supply, a typical 120v light switch on the input side, which can be for many of them via a multi-outlet surge protector, and mini toggle switches to individual power busses as needed. Since I have only so far used incandescent lighting, I cannot comment directly regarding resistors. I mainly use 16v bulbs powered on a 12v buss which doesn't overpower/blind you with light. I have a package of LED bulbs and resistors that I just haven't installed yet.

Speaking of French Toast, today is National French Toast Day. Today is also the First Sunday of Advent for many religions.
Everyone have a great day. Stay safe.

Washington DC is like Hollywood for lawyers. I will be sorry to see her go as she and I get along very well.
Steve: There is something about DC no matter what your occupation. My best memories of my career were the time spent working in DC, (and living in Bowie, MD). Always wanted to get back there, but never managed it. Career wise, for a lawyer, DC is definitely the place to be. (Irrespective of administration).

Our house is back to normal, with just the wife and myself, plus the cat. Oldest and family left this morning, looking at a six hour drive, and hoping they don't encounter much snow enroute. younger son left mid day yesterday, and made it home last night. It was a very nice visit, and the sons did some maintenance, and put up the Christmas lights.

Have a great Sunday.

Good Morning afternoon gang!

Twas quite busy yesterday. Halloween upstairs, Christmas decorations downstairs. Cut back all the flowers in the garden, blow out all the leaves away from the house and the fence line, trim the evergreens alongside the house then get out the tractor and mulch, mulch, mulch those leaved til the lawn looked green again instead of brown. On the upside of all this was an interruption by Son#3 placing a video call to us. It seems we have a new granddog! No pics yet but she is a Aussie Shepard/Keltie mix and she is adorable! He will be bringing her over next weekend. The havn't finalized her name yet but she is a dead ringer for his old dog Tacoma. I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up with a derivative of that name.

Today, as the last weekend of the month its bill pay day, then I'll do some more prep work and start unloading the display cases in preparation for moving stuff out of the way of the new layout.

20151225_204041.jpg

Here's one from the vault. Take a Mantua 2-8-2, add boiler and steam chest from a Pacific, make wholesale changes to the pilot and running boards, add a Bachmann tender and a large smattering of detail parts and you get a B&O Mikado!

cold minion.jpg

My excuse for staying in today!! Hehehehe

Greetings from the West. Not much going on around here. I think most of the family and friends are still overstuffed from TG - I have been going out to the MIL's where the Spouse is "sitting" with her Mom and bringing home a turkey dinner with all the trimmings for three days now - and I believe that I have had enough!
The weather here has been beautiful for a week - clear, sunny, and temps ranging from the mid-'40s to low 80's - 82F expected today. BTW, there was one-day last week that everything blew sideways; for most of the day, the winds were clocked at 40-55 MPH from the EAST. Very surprised that there were only a few brush fires - we were not affected, but many had their power shut off for hours at a time.

The Spousal Unit has ants in her pants again! She is planning to fly to Londen for a 5-day escape starting Tuesday. Within the last 4 days, she has booked, canceled, re-booked, re-canceled, and re-booked again. It's been almost 2 years for her NOT traveling - and it is starting to get to her mentally! She wanted to take her oldest daughter with her, but Sarah could not take the time away from her family at this time of year - and Kate wants so much to see the London lights at Christmas.
The two of them are still planning the Paris trip in the springtime if travel gets opened back up.
I would have seriously considered going with her except ... my passport has expired and I have been lazy in not getting it back in order.

Willie - Best to Arlene! I pray that things go well and it is just outpatient this time. Don't I remember that it was longer the last time?
I am surprised that you do not have a wood splitter - sure would be easier on your bod?

TROY -- I have been pondering your challenge; I can only remember being around a couple of Stearman biplanes belonging to my best instructor in my younger days, and I do not remember any sounds from the prop or the airframe. There may have been something from the "wires", but I cannot recall? I was a little young to remember the Jenny's, Spad's, and Sopwith Camel's .. LOL !!!
I have to state though that the un-cowled radial engine provided lots of bang/pop noise along with an occasional back-fire that would stand your hair straight up.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone in Model Railroad Land. Sunny, but windy and cold, so it's a typical day for Wisconsin near December. No snow at home yet, but we could get heavy snow at any time now. I remember a couple of heavy snows on Black Friday. I used to enjoy being at the cabin and having a heavy snowfall.

Drove up to check on the cabin yesterday. It always helps to have the local Hillbillies know a person is checking on things. A little coating of snow still in the woods where there's shade to keep the ground cold. We stopped at a tree farm to get our annual three foot Frasier Fir for the front porch. Funny we drive all that way to pay for an evergreen when we have thousands of White Pine, Red Pine and Spruce on our wooded properties. Cathy looks forward to this event and before Covid, the farm had free apple cider and popcorn for shoppers. Once when we were there the local Rotary charter had a brat stand and the warm brats tasted good on a 20 degree. Yesterday, there had to be 250 vehicles and people buying trees. It seems like everyone who owned a dog brought theirs along and small or large all the dogs liked each other.

Wisconsin is a large producer of Christmas Trees and tree farm spot the county. The everygreens grown fast in the sandy soil and wet summer months.

We then stopped at a wood cutter to get some aged fireplace wood for at home. $20 for a large pile of wood. My new car turned into a pickup truck and gas mileage dropped three mph with the wood load. We'll have a fire later today during the Packer Game.

I should buy some Fir seedlings and plant them so we could have our own supply of smaller trees.

Saw a CN train on the mainline near Fond du lac, Wisconsin headed southbound.

Speaking of recycling power supplies, I use a 12 volt power supply that was once powering an alarm system in a retail store we were doing a remodel. I installed a MRC knob and controller so I can keep the output below 10 volts for the layout's incandescent lighting. Works great and has lots of power.

Cathy just came home from Menard's and picked up some battery operated strings of LED's. She strings them on the Fir on the porch and one set of batteries should last the entire season. There is a photocell to turn them on and they run for eight hours.

That's about it for now.

Greg

###################

IMG_0237.JPG
This is my power center under the layout. The light brown box is the form alarm power supply. It looks crooked, but actually isn't. I have separate power busses for DCC, turnouts, LED's, incandescent lighting and signals.-Greg

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then started ballasting the 10-engine servicing facility tracks with a sand base. I have 3-4 more steps for each track. Tomorrow Dad has a new primary care doctor appointment at the VA so I'll be tied up with that for a couple of hours.

Karl- Nice layout shot.

Willie- Good luck to Arlene tomorrow.

Greg- That's neater than it would be under my layout! :rolleyes:

Sherrel- I thought I saw on the news about new travel restrictions in Europe and England due to the never-ending new variation to Covid.

I hope everyone has a good night.

While there, I added another fellow in a sports car pulling in. He'll soon get the two young ladies attention.
Willie- i know what got the driver's attention, a short yellow dress.

I added some glue and paint to the O scale truck for these pictures.
The fenders supplied with the kit are too short to clear the wheels. My grandfather drove an old truck for a mine delivering shoring timbers.
The truck had no top, no fenders, a log front bumper and a gravity fed gas tank behind the seat, which meant he had to back up hills to keep the motor running.
Memories of my dad's description of that truck has inspired certain features on this model.

Attachments

• mack kit 4.jpg
    mack kit 4.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 91
  • mack kit 5.jpg
    mack kit 5.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 83
Good Morning! Even though it's only 11f, and I should still be under the blankets.

Bigfoot13 - Could you please describe the technique you've come up with to make the corrugated roofing?!

McLeod
Sounds like it's warmer there, -20f here. I'm hoping to create a new thread and video about it soon. I was just checking to see if there was any interest in it. Basically it is a custom printed rolling pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back