Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, 44° at wake-up, 54° now...had to turn the heat on yesterday, after inside temperature fell to 64° :( I was hoping to keep it off a while longer.
Time Change: At this stage in my life, I'm all for picking one and sticking with it. During my working years, by October, It was dark when I left for work, and dark when I came home. Depends on your circumstance and location, for determining which, (Standard or Daylight), is better, so no real consensus can be obtained. Morning or evening, it is no fun driving with a low sun shining into your face.
TomO: Eric is a "celebrity" in out hobby, and his work is well publicized. Therefore, collectors will come out of the woodwork to bid on his models.
I tend to choke at some of the prices people will pay for "Got to have" items. OTOH, it's not coming out of my wallet.

Willie: Sounds like a sound plan. I'm praying that all goes well.

Boris,

Yes Eric is a super well known modeler. Back in the old days MRR magazine always seemed to have an update every few years on his layout. Modeling modern and keeping it modern is expensive. I tried many years ago to emulate what he was doing and it didn’t hold that same interest for me that it does him. I model 2015 and it so changed my enjoyment for the better. I am not a collector, I was at onetime but my interests are too varied. More power to those that want his stuff and can pay for it, it’s just not me.

Time change, sorry it just too easy a solution for our politician to solve. Term limits!

TomO

OK, I'm back, had to assist with care-giving.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the Ramone's build and the raccoon visitors; Karl, Tom O, Sherrel, Joe, James, Hughie, Patrick, Rick, Steve, Curt, Mikey, Steve J, Guy.

Since it's lunch already, give me a roast beef and Provolone cheese sandwich Francine. Cole slaw and a cold Shiner draft to go with it.

I did not make it out to the train shed yesterday due to all of the medical and household stuff going on. Your comments regarding Ramone's have been very encouraging. I will get back at it this afternoon. This build could easily go much quicker if I spent more time in the train shed, but then that would be like having a job all over again! LOL
I obviously don't have any update pictures this morning, so I thought I would show off my lower level staging yard from when I removed everything to do the biannual cleaning project in 2000.
Looking north.
View attachment 134139
Looking south.
View attachment 134140
The seven tracks on the aisle side can each hold between 17 and 20 cars each, while the five on the wall side can each hold 25 cars; for a total capacity of over 250. Normally 2-3 tracks are clear for fluidity of the yard. There's a switching lead on one end but I normally just lift the engines off to move them around.
View attachment 134141

Joe - I am concerned about the raccoon group being on the estate. As I posted yesterday, they're destructive and mean. I would rather that they leave on their own accord and settle somewhere else. I could most likely catch one with the Havahart trap, but they are smart enough that the remaining two wouldn't go near it after seeing their sibling caught; and then I would never get rid of them all. However their mortality rate when young can be as high as 50% with vehicles, bobcats and coyotes being the main cause of death. All are present in sufficient numbers nearby.
Chad - Whether daylight saving or standard, I don't care. Just pick one and go with it.

Everybody have a good day.
Willie

I am working on maybe doing staging, wow lots of tracks in yours. Congrats

Care givers, tough job. Now image getting paid to care give. Not enough money for me to do it professionally. The way we treat out professional care givers is a sad commentary.

Time changing, yep I go for 1 but p9litics is involved.

TomO

Good Morning, friends!
Thank you for the likes and comments on my post of a couple days ago. I'm happy you enjoy the photos, even those that are not railway modeling related.

The wife and I made a spur of the moment decision, early yesterday morning. We decided we would travel to Jasper to have lunch with long lost friends from Toronto. That's a 3 hour drive one way. It was all fun, though.
We had a wonderful lunch with our friends, and then they had to continue on their journey to southern destinations.
Myself; I took the Jasper opportunity walk around and take some photos.

Gotta tell ya, I'm not a big fan of museum displays. They are always unoriginal and prettied-up for the tourist; usually they don't even carry realistic colors.
At least it's preserved, but, this old steam engine is a case in point:
View attachment 134130
View attachment 134131
View attachment 134132
I'll bet you folks know what type of engine that is! I sure don't.

Also, here is the station house located in Jasper.
View attachment 134133
It wasn't good weather for tourist photos; the Rockies were hidden in low-level clouds.

Anyway, that's my post for today. I will post more photos over the next couple of days. Right now, I just don't have a lot of time to keep my nose in this computer.

So, have a great day, everyone! See ya soon!

Guy, road trips at the last moment can be enjoyable.

Rail museums generally leave me wanting to see more but rarely as you wrote are they done very well.

TomO

Ok, last one I promise. The wife’s morning honey do list is complete as is a 3 mile walk. I am cooling physically and emotionally down before the needed shower.

We walk, ATV or ride horses on the 12 miles of interconnecting graveled trails within our property. Today by the house the kids just sold along with 5 acres of marked and fenced property is the trail leading up to that house. We blocked that trail with old Jersey barriers and a wire fence so there would be no issue of knowing where our trail ended and the new peoples property began. Today, Terry and I walked that trail and came across the new owners about a mile from their house on our privately marked property. Told them not yet knowing who they were that they were on private property and they were trespassing. You’d have thought I was the bad guy. I was nice till they said the trail was not marked, we were on their property and they would call the cops when they got home. I said no problem, let me call them for you, pulling out the phone. No calls made, I suggested we walk to where their trail joins ours. Showed them the sign and the barriers they moved and the fence they disassembled. The signs and wire fencing about 20’ or so in the leaves. The woman said she was sorry and pulled her hubby away. She said she had never seen the signs, the tighten barriers or the fence. When we are gone the SIL will have to be checking that trail.

TomO

766CD0CB-CB2D-412E-9718-3A6310F81A09.jpeg

Back from my conference.

Yes, quite sad about John Tiller - brilliant guy. I never knew him, but correspond with many who did. His gaming business will continue for a while anyway. Not sure who it benefits - hopefully his surviving family.

Getting so tired of meetings, meetings, meetings. By the time I get back to track work, I'll have forgotten all I learned during the yard construction phase! Oh well, I chose this life! See y'all soon - - - - Steve J

Afternoon All,

Went out to Dad's for a bit today and cleared out more stuff. We found a local charity that is coming out Thursday morning to take the left over furniture items (3 tall cabinets and a love seat and hopefully the several in the garage).

Mikey- Thank you for the very nice compliment. Nice job on the "little" people.

Sherrel- Nice photo.

Willie- Nice job with the straight track. I can't do that if my life depended on it. That is a lot of diesels.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon all! Another nice day here in H-Town but the humidity is creeping back. I did get my truck washed and waxed.
Yesterday was yard work day. I was surprised by 3 snakes. One I got with the edger, a grass snake, two lost their head to a shovel, copperheads. I don't usually see snakes that often, so seeing 3 in one day was an oddity.
I did run a switching operation yesterday. Using the cards and rolling the die seems to work quite well for me. I added four more cars/cards to the stack so I now have a dozen cars that need to be picked up and spotted at a different industry.

Time change - Each State can withdraw from from the Daylight Savings Act, but they can only go to Standard Time. I would like to quit changing the clock, but I'm retired so it really doesn't affect me.

STAY SAFE
LATER

I was thinking about old age and decided that old age is when you still have something on the ball, but you are just too tired to bounce it.

OK I have a question for TomO or anyone else that can answer this for me......

How does an ALL door box car work? In this link here that I am providing shows 4 doors on the boxcar. Apparently ADN had over 2000 cars at one time and they had plenty of these. I just don't know if the doors pop out then slide sideways over each other or pop up some how? I am at a loss....

1634685524640.png

By the way the link is a really nice webpage on the ADN history.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does anyone make these cars in HO scale?

Last edited:
OK I have a question for TomO or anyone else that can answer this for me......

How does an ALL door box car work? In this link here that I am providing shows 4 doors on the boxcar. Apparently ADN had over 2000 cars at one time and they had plenty of these. I just don't know if the doors pop out then slide sideways over each other or pop up some how? I am at a loss....

View attachment 134151

By the way the link is a really nice webpage on the ADN history.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does anyone make these cars in HO scale?
James, the doors would slide out and over each other. I am pretty sure Life Like did similar cars in their Proto 1000 series.

OK I willl see and do a search on them thanks Terry!
Here's a quick search result:

Here's a quick search result:

Wow waaayyy better than the Proto 1000s Awesome! Thank you Terry! I will be looking to get at least 2 of these....so unique!

James, the doors would slide out and over each other. I am pretty sure Life Like did similar cars in their Proto 1000 series.

For those so inclined, Quality Craft did a wood kit, that can still be found a train show/flea markets. There is something satisfying about turning a box of sticks and wire into a scale model.
P1010084.JPG

I couldn't find a full on pic of mine, but here's 3/4 of the car (the light blue one) along with the car one fellow club member made and presented it to me on my 40th birthday (20 yaren alt).

Willie: When we first moved to Jersey, the subdivision was inhabited with raccoon, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, and a red fox family, that had ample food available from the critters. Since our neighborhood was populated mostly by Staten Islanders, Animal Control was on the top of the phone list, followed by Code enforcement. Gradually we evolved. More Brooklynites, white tail deer, chipmunks, wild turkeys, red tail hawks, turkey buzzards, crows and Bald Eagles. Squirrels and chipmunks, rabbits remain, with ample cover from hungry birds of prey. They are all fun to watch, but destructive. But with much development, the critters migrate into established neighborhoods.

TomO: The October RMH is up and while paging through, I found some familiar pulp cars featured. Cool! Proud of ya, Mr. O. ;)

Concerning the prices for "Vintage" Tyco and Life Like stuff, Good for the seller, they buyer gets what they get. I don't buy used, get most of my stuff from my LHS, Trainworld, and MB Klein. I have cut back on my buying while I search my inventory for items to offer for sale.

Karl: Neat 40Th car.
Waverly 5 - Newark, NJ.jpg

Waverly 5 - Newark, NJ.jpg

Waverly 5, Newark, NJ, early CR. Train is approaching Haynes Ave OH Bridge, Second bridge in background is the McCarter HWY (NJ21). Captain Weems, your cleared to land at EWR which is to the right of the photographer. Two running tracks and a weed filled field remain in 2021. Photo provided by Mike Shanley.

Good morning all! 46 degrees and clear, heading up to 76 and sunny.
Nothing much to report from these parts today. I did finally get my second interview the job I applied for scheduled. I'll be having that Friday afternoon. People are leaving in droves from my current employer and I'm hoping to be one of them. Lost another assistant manager yesterday.
Anyway, hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back