Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 76°, with a heat index of 77°. And so it is supposed to begin today, after a high of just 92° yesterday, the NWS is predicting almost 100° today and triple digits or close to it for the next ten days at least. I know the weather patterns here and it will be that way until Labor Day most years. We've been lucky so far this summer as we have only needed to use one window AC at a time to maintain a comfortable climate. As well, the water temperature in the pool has not risen above 84° except for a couple of brief times in early June. No rain in sight, the closest on the radar is northern Wisconsin and maybe some in the mountains of Arizona.

Hello Flo. How about a Western Omelet with a double handful of bacon this morning. Apple juice if you will. Thanks.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the updates on my progress posts; Christian, Patrick, Sherrel, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Guy, Tom O, Gary, Jaz, Ken.

I had a flurry of activities out in the train shed yesterday. I made some more trees, although not nearly enough, to add to the area in Graham that's undergoing landscaping right now. But I also ran some trains and cleaned and upgraded some additional structures on the upper level as I get into the industrial park between Vernon and Maulsville.
Next to the flour mill featured yesterday is a rail-served fertilizer distributor.
IMG_6923.JPG

IMG_6924.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

This is a laser-cut wood structure from Blair Line known as Farmer's Fertilizer. Whoops! I never added a name.
IMG_6944.JPG

Next to Delta Fertilizer are a couple of structures on an unfinished plywood plain. Here's the aisle side view.
IMG_6946.JPG

And the front as viewed from across the peninsula.
IMG_6945.JPG

Stan's Fabricating makes larger metal parts for industries.
IMG_6947.JPG

I wish that I could remember who made this kit.
The unnamed structure besides it is a DPM kit that I don't know what to do with yet.

Tom -
It's not low where I live. 4-5 inches in a little over an hour is going to cause problems. All that water was gone in 2 hours.
Been through that a few times here. Only a couple of times were the incidents as bad as your pictures. The poorly maintained ditches alongside our rural country road contribute to the issue sometimes. If the road wasn't there it would all run off a lot quicker. House and train shed are both a lot higher than the surrounding ground so I've never been subjected to any high water damage, just a lot of slowly receding standing water.
Troy - Did they ever get the insulation blower to work?
Patrick - I've scalped a few spots in the yard with my 53" deck often enough that they aren't there any more! :cool:
Joe - That is really a "purty good looking" B&O #87 loco from yesterday.
Christian -
Hi santafewillie,
Another question about your layout: Is it just one layout with two levels or two different layouts ? Thanks.
Right now it's a hybrid. There are two different levels that are intended to be connected at some time, but presently they are operated as two different layouts. The trackwork has connections already built in for connecting to a helix that hasn't been built. In truth, I may not ever get it built but it doesn't really matter. The only present drawback it that there isn't nearly enough staging on the upper level, just four tracks. There's plenty of action on each level though.

Tomorrow, I travel to Dallas to pick up the granddog for a three week staycation here while her family spends time at the in-laws beach house in Jersey. While there, we are going to have a very small family gathering at my cancer-stricken youngest brother's home to celebrate his 58th birthday, most likely his last one. He has not responded to eight weeks of radiation and chemo for his stage four esophageal cancer and the tumor is now restricting movement in his right arm by compressing the nerves. Fifteen of my family members (brothers, nieces, nephews and spouses) who all live within three blocks are rotating feeding duties through tubes four times a day, while my sister and her husband (further away) are taxiing him to doctors and therapy sessions. We are all praying that things will turn out differently, but everyone including him are ready to face the probable outcome. It will be an emotional day.

Today is National Amelia Earhart Day, a pioneer in her time. It's also National Tequila Day which will make anyone think that they are a pioneer. Enjoy if you indulge, I'll toast with a beer while my wife has a Margarita.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

I think that it is Vera, but she works second shift and rarely makes an appearance here.
Vera makes great cocktails if you come to the coffee shop late.🤫

Tom, I wasn’t implying that was low land. I was trying to state because of a couple floods as a kid I have only built on high lands to avoid flooding. A few times in the last 18 months we have become the island because even 2-3” in an hour will cause issues and problems. Arkward phasing on my part, please forgive.

TomO
Not at all, I got what you were explaining. Besides living on top of the Niagara Escarpment Lake Ontario would have to flood several 1000' in order to be lakefront property.🤣

Good morning. It is kind of steamy already this morning. 77f degrees heading to the 90’s, high dew point and humidity. A decent when blowing breeze but it’s not consistent.

My sister and I stayed on the south deck till 10:30am yesterday as the sun came around the corner of the house. The north deck we were able to stay out until around 3 until it became unbearable as there was no breeze. We shall see about today as the temperatures will be high. The weather lady at dinner time yesterday said that a pop t-shower is possible around 3pm today. I see nothing on the radar, so we’ll see.

enjoy your day
TomO
F2844552-0C34-4940-A78E-8847F297E779.jpeg

A081AAE4-B961-4D72-9776-622590696939.jpeg

Been through that a few times here. Only a couple of times were the incidents as bad as your pictures. The poorly maintained ditches alongside our rural country road contribute to the issue sometimes. If the road wasn't there it would all run off a lot quicker. House and train shed are both a lot higher than the surrounding ground so I've never been subjected to any high water damage, just a lot of slowly receding standing water.
The town replaced all three crossover pipes 10 years ago when they repaved the road. They went from 18" to 24". All 3 were flowing a solid 24" of water. Everything was drained off in 1 1/2 hours. The town is pretty good at keeping ditches clean. The problem is when the next town down stream doesn't do the same it ends up backing up in that area.

Good Morning all! Well its 86 with a feels like of 96. Humidity is 79% and nearly no breeze at all.
Some blueberry pancakes and a few sausage patties please.

We are awaiting a visit from our youngest. Since we all are vaxed we can visit from time to time. Still a few family members refusing to get shots so that is delaying a full blown family gathering. I sure hope they get off the pot before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I did a little switching yesterday, for about 30 minutes, then the real world called.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Hi Tom, Is that a double slip or two TOs back to back? I'm strongly considering a double slip on my layout. Looking for a field debrief.

Thanks! ------------- Steve J
PS: ain't much cooler here in 'sota

Steve J.

Those are single #6 turnouts from ME.

Double slips I have done on 2 previous layouts and IMO they are not worth the time and effort to maintain them.

TomO

Good morning gang! Happy Saturday to one and all.
Got to tackle the lawn today and put a new wiper control module in the little S10. The kid took it to work the other night. When he went to leave he had no wipers(it was pouring) so I had to go get him. Next day they worked fine.😡
Oh well, the truck is 19 years young, its about time I guess.View attachment 130203
BBL
I remember back in the olden days, the controller was mounted on the wiper motor. It would get rain water in it, short out, and not work when you needed your wipers most.

Good morning gang! Happy Saturday to one and all.
Got to tackle the lawn today and put a new wiper control module in the little S10. The kid took it to work the other night. When he went to leave he had no wipers(it was pouring) so I had to go get him. Next day they worked fine.😡
Oh well, the truck is 19 years young, its about time I guess.View attachment 130203
BBL
The wind shield washer does not work on my 17 YO Ranger (never has). As it never seems to rain around here anymore - I have only needed it to wash the dust off the windscreen. Someday I will replace the pump - maybe?

Hey there internet RR people! Today we have 77 degrees going up to 86 for a high with mostly sunny - it has been a rather cool summer so far this year; however, you could not prove it by me?

The daughter and two G-son's keep turning down the temp on the A/C and they keep the ceiling fans going full bore all the time. I have had several run-ins over that as they keep my head stopped up all the time - I go upstairs to sleep at night and the place is like an icebox! Well, the Spousal Unit tells me to tough it out - only 10-12 days before they leave for Okinawa - I am on the countdown for the launch - too many kids, too many dogs, and too many adults ... adding to the fray is the local daughter with her new baby, older son, and husband who keep popping in at dinner time. Add to that -- the local daughter now seems to think that my wife and I are her go to baby sitters for a drop-in and drop-off deposit for the baby who has now discovered that he really has a big set of lungs! Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but have reached the stage of my life where I sincerely enjoy my peace and quite and after two-three weeks - it is starting to grind if you can catch my drift.

The daughter has listed and sold her car in less than 12 hours on the local "marketplace" for more that she paid for the car 3 years back. It is a Subaru Crossfire? - and they seem to be in demand out here.

The RV is going to the shop again on Monday to see about the leveling system. I hope that it is just a wiring problem (from the rat chewing) and not the pump, or control box? Afraid to hear as it was working for awhile?

Need to get back to work on clearing stuff from the garage. If I can ever get it done - I am going to set up a Lionel plan in one bay. I might as well do that because I know from my growing up that they will run ignoring the dust problem. It will be "old-school" Lionel as I have lots of it already. It's loud, runs fast, and the kids will love it!

Good Morning Everyone.....going to be very hot and extremely humid today and the near future. Tom I like your temperature post. Hope it rains in Central Wisconsin since we have self watering pots, but they only last so long and need water!!! I also enjoy seeing your paper operations and sawdust handling. I'll see a lot of it these on a trip to Upper Michigan in late August along with wood post manufacturing and of cousre in the Appleton area the paper mills.

I miss seeing the Wisconsin Central locomotives and their color schemes. The WC was a well run operation and I have a video of their operations. Seldom did you see graffiti on the maroon box cars. I need one WC locomotive in Maroon and Gold to complete my roster.

I watched the WC switch box cars at the Quad Graphic plant in Sussex, Wisconsin. I could park directly across from main and sidings and watch the engineer switch the cars.

I have a question about weighting rolling stock. I know the NMRA has weight standards for rolling stock and manufactures try to stick to this standard. My Walther's and Roundhouse ore cars have Chooch loads and Woodland Scenic's ore attached the the Chooch loads. This makes for a very heavy short piece of rolling stock and a challenge to pull any quantity of the cars. All of these cars have metal wheel-sets and roll freely. They handle turnouts and curves very well.

My question is...do any of you have experience with over-weighting regular rolling stock and does it improve the car's performance?

I did walk down the basement stairs this morning for the first time in several months. Easy down but a bit difficult coming up, but I made it. It wasn't a trip of choice, but we needed to turn on the water for the front outside hoses. Here in Southeastern Wisconsin, we are charged for water/sewer on the value of our homes and many homes in the inner city of Milwaukee use as much water as we do, but they are charged a fraction of the what we pay. We are essentially are paying for their water, piping improvements and sewer charges.

We can have separate piping for the outside water that runs though a separate water meter and piping. This water isn't charged any sewer charges. I made the piping modifications many years ago and separated the outside water from the inside domestic water. The work paid for itself in two quarters of water bills. The finished product was approved by the village plumbing inspector.

Cathy turned the outside water off for last winter and then turned it on for the summer. She gets confused with the four or so valves on the system...which to turn on and which to turn off. Some are off during winter and others are on. When she went to water outside there was no front water, so I went down and sorted out the problem. I walked with a cane after I got down stairs and the more I walked the better I did!!!

Yesterday, I ordered a Rapido, SW1200 Milwaukee Road unit from Model Train Stuff. This locomotive is sold-out where ever I looked. Model Train Stuff has a sale on the locomotives and a bonus 10% off the final price. I've heard many good comments on these locomotives and it will be my second Rapido locomotive on my roster. Still expensive on sale, but I think worth the price. A Jim Beam 1.75 bottle of coins will pay for the locomotive.

Terry: My '34 Chevrolet pick up truck had vacuum operated windshield wipers, speed up the engine and the faster they went. I avoided driving in the rain.

TomO: I don't recall if you posted a track plan of your layout. If not, could share a plan with us? Thanks.

Saw my old Chev on the sales lot were I purchase my new vehicle. The dealer really cleaned up the truck and applied a silicone finish to make it really shine and detailed the interior. A small area of damaged quarter panel was repaired. The truck sold in leas than a week.

That's about all for now.

Greg

####################

1627149363022.png

GREG - Glad to hear that you are making progress. Be careful and continue to improve!
It really "frost my butt" to have to pay sewer charges for my lawn water. I should have made them split the lines, add another meter, or whatever it took to resolve that 13 years back!
I seem to be very good at discovering things - after the fact?

Our water bill out here has more charges on it than the Property tax bill! They are in competition with the old phone bills!

Well, howdy there internet model RR peeps.

It's Troy again...

Willie and those concerned about the big blower to insulate our attic: Yes. It worked. Turns out it was the control switch on the really long cord. the one the guy in the attic uses to start, stop, and reverse the blower. His switch went KAPLOWIE, and they had to bring another one out.

An hour later, we had an attic full of blow cellulose. The house smelled like wet newspaper for most of the day. I let everything settle for about an hour, then ran the vacuum and dusted upstairs. Then vacuumed the main level. THEN I turned the AC on. Mainly to get the filter working on any particles hanging in the air.

Our furnace has a two-stage fan. We run low stage constantly, and the high stage only kicks on when the AC or heat kicks in. So, to get full filtration, we needed to have AC on.

By bedtime, I had the newspaper smell mostly eliminated. Yes, I cleaned the furnace and air cleaner filters later that same day. We've got one of those electrostatic air filters with the ceramic catch filters behind the electrostatic grid. Took them out side and used the leaf blower on them in reverse air flow direction. Then vacuumed the hepa air cleaner filters.

We've already noticed a major difference in the comfort level upstairs. This week will be a better test, as temps will be about 15° f higher than the past week.

Going out to dinner with friends from Indianapolis tonight.

Been painting
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 3.06.56 PM.png

These are a mix of figures (28mm) from Warlord Games. On the left is the Gaul chieftain from their game: SPQR. On the right, generic dudes from the Saxon Thegns box. That box is wonky, since the minis are actually made by Wargames Factory. There is a major quality difference in posing and action from the SPQR set to the WF set.

I'm getting into a game called SAGA, and this warband will be the quickly assembled and painted Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-Dane warband. Just got a Scottish warband in that I plan on spending some time painting. These are still WIP, but getting closer.

That's all for now...

Howdy .

WIllie ..... Reading your busy post, I saw your briother is suffering from cancer. Your description sounds very grim. Prayers for him and your family. .... I like the fertilizer building on your layout.

Tom in Wisconsin. ..... I like your photos.

Greg ..... Good to hear you are getting a Rapido SW1200.

Sherrel .... Frisco 66 appears to have had better days in its past.

Everybody ..... have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back